ARCOM/WCUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drthedude

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, without getting into all the details, I just had a quick question. I'm sure this is just my neuroticism talking but I'm a sub 500 MCAT, rest of my app is stellar and I received a secondary from WCUCOM. Do you guys think I will also receive one from ARCOM? I know both schools are extremely selective with secondaries. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you dont mind sharing, what was your score? Also, keep in mind, secondary applications really don't guarantee you a whole lot in terms of the application process.
It was a 498 up from a 496

Members don't see this ad :)
If you dont mind sharing, what was your score? Also, keep in mind, secondary applications really don't guarantee you a whole lot in terms of the application process.
Also I agree however for ARCOM it’s a sure fire interview based off trends as well as 25% of applicants for WCU!

Reactions: 1 user
It was a 498 up from a 496
If the rest of your application is well off like you mentioned and you applied broadly, you should hypothetically be able to receive a few interviews. I would just be prepared with a back up plan or figure out what you will do to improve your MCAT score if this cycle doesn’t work out. I’m not saying it’s not possible, this is just based on the information you provided.

Your best bet to receive an interview and possible acceptance is to target newly opened schools. Whether that is a wise choice to position you for success in the long-term is a completely different conversation. It sounds like you know 500 is your target score, and you should do everything in your power to hit that score or above. Being able to "fail" or fall below your goal, assess, re-tool, and press forward to success is a huge life skill in general, but it's certainly something we who sit on Adcoms look for in an applicant to medical school because of the likelihood that you will fail at something in medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
If the rest of your application is well off like you mentioned and you applied broadly, you should hypothetically be able to receive a few interviews. I would just be prepared with a back up plan or figure out what you will do to improve your MCAT score if this cycle doesn’t work out. I’m not saying it’s not possible, this is just based on the information you provided.
Ty! I know the cycle is still young! Applied to 33 DO, 0 MD

WCUCOM had an average mcat of 505-506 so I highly doubt it. ARCOM I doubt as well. These are established schools and unless your gpa is like 3.8++ I don’t think you would get an interview with a 496 and a 498 repeat. I would target the extremely brand new schools around your state, as well as OK state if your from the plains or OUHCOM if from Ohio and MSUCOM if from MI or TCOM if from Texas, as these have a strong in state bias…

WCUCOM had an average mcat of 505-506 so I highly doubt it. ARCOM I doubt as well. These are established schools and unless your gpa is like 3.8++ I don’t think you would get an interview with a 496 and a 498 repeat. I would target the extremely brand new schools around your state, as well as OK state if your from the plains or OUHCOM if from Ohio and MSUCOM if from MI or TCOM if from Texas, as these have a strong in state bias…
I'm confused as to why WCU offered me a secondary then?

Not everyone who gets a secondary gets an Interview at WCU but most/many do... what is your gpa?
My cGPA is a 3.44, sGPA is a 3.37 both of these have a 3.9 upward trend of 60-75 credits my last 2 years. My last semester I took 21 credits of all upper science courses and earned a 4.0

Hey everyone, without getting into all the details, I just had a quick question. I'm sure this is just my neuroticism talking but I'm a sub 500 MCAT, rest of my app is stellar and I received a secondary from WCUCOM. Do you guys think I will also receive one from ARCOM? I know both schools are extremely selective with secondaries. Thank you!
Check the school specific threads and pre-write the secondaries for every school you applied to.

That way you can just send if/when you get a secondary wherever.

I’m the meantime, start studying for a retake on the mcat. You need to accept the fact that you’re an underdog and not waste this year.

Reactions: 1 users
You should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 498 and a sGPA of 3.37 . Which schools did you apply to ? What are your ECs ? Where is your state of residence ?

You should be able to receive interviews at some DO schools with a MCAT of 498 and a sGPA of 3.37 . Which schools did you apply to ? What are your ECs ? Where is your state of residence ?
you already gave me a list Faha!! Applied to all those!

Both ARCOM and WCUCOM are very selective. They don’t even send everyone secondaries. I would make sure that you fit their mission regardless of stats.

Both ARCOM and WCUCOM are very selective. They don’t even send everyone secondaries. I would make sure that you fit their mission regardless of stats.
Hard agree, I feel like that’s one of the reasons WCU even sent me one

I'm confused as to why WCU offered me a secondary then?
Because they now have a class size of 200 and need to fill those seats? That may definitely be at play, but maybe not? Take a deep breath and look for reasons why the WOULD give you a secondary instead of questioning yourself. What were some of your prereq grades in the upper classes or hard classes like Ochem? Maybe they saw performances in key areas that they were willing to give you more of a pass. Give the secondary your attention, do you best to complete it so they can see more about you and run with the opportunity should they invite you to interview. At that point, know that whatever you provided was good enough to make it into that seat.

Because they now have a class size of 200 and need to fill those seats? That may definitely be at play, but maybe not? Take a deep breath and look for reasons why the WOULD give you a secondary instead of questioning yourself. What were some of your prereq grades in the upper classes or hard classes like Ochem? Maybe they saw performances in key areas that they were willing to give you more of a pass. Give the secondary your attention, do you best to complete it so they can see more about you and run with the opportunity should they invite you to interview. At that point, know that whatever you provided was good enough to make it into that seat.
Thank you for your kind words! I submitted my secondary already! I believe they saw how I took 21 credits of upper neuro and bio courses my last semester and got a 4.0 which gave me the attention.