WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So I am weighing out these two schools and in many ways I find them very evenly matched.

Major differences: I have friends at WCUCOM and it its older, the curriculum at ACOM "seems" better but they are just getting into their clinicals and this has me worried.

Anybody else care to weigh in on this struggle for my deposit money?

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Will help you out here since this seems like a pretty hard question since both have similar missions statements but I think it comes down to the basics:

Which one is cheaper?

Do you want to your medical training in MI or AL?

Do you prefer discipline-based (histology, pharm) or do you want something "new" with more involvement (this usually entails having more "busy" work)?

Do want more of the university feel? (Then pick WCU)

Are you interested in research? (this is a tie since you at ACOM you can run over to UAB for great research while at WCU you can go to U of MI for research)

At the end of the day I would go with ACOM, they have set rotation sites that are accredited by AMEC which is a great thing IMO.

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Wcu seems bad. They had a 64% AOA match rate in 2014 (the overall average was 77% for all DO schools). I'd go with acom, which may or may not end up being bad.

diiaa36

5+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Wcu seems bad. They had a 64% AOA match rate in 2014 (the overall average was 77% for all DO schools). I'd go with acom, which may or may not end up being bad.
It went up to 88%

OP
WorldChanger36

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah it went way up.

OP
WorldChanger36

WorldChanger36

10+ Year Member
Sep 22, 2009
NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Will help you out here since this seems like a pretty hard question since both have similar missions statements but I think it comes down to the basics:

Which one is cheaper?

Do you want to your medical training in MI or AL?

Do you prefer discipline-based (histology, pharm) or do you want something "new" with more involvement (this usually entails having more "busy" work)?

Do want more of the university feel? (Then pick WCU)

Are you interested in research? (this is a tie since you at ACOM you can run over to UAB for great research while at WCU you can go to U of MI for research)

At the end of the day I would go with ACOM, they have set rotation sites that are accredited by AMEC which is a great thing IMO.
They are the same price and COA is the same. I don't care for either state but Hattiesburg is closer to New Orleans, where I want to be at. I wasn't jumping up and down about ACOMs curriculum or WCU. I did really love the campus at WCU and the people there a lot more than ACOM. I have no interest in research but maybe an MBA. I wasn't really sold that AMEC will equal better clinical rotations.

Geez it is a tough call. I may have to do a second look for these guys.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
5+ Year Member
May 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
They are the same price and COA is the same. I don't care for either state but Hattiesburg is closer to New Orleans, where I want to be at. I wasn't jumping up and down about ACOMs curriculum or WCU. I did really love the campus at WCU and the people there a lot more than ACOM. I have no interest in research but maybe an MBA. I wasn't really sold that AMEC will equal better clinical rotations.

Geez it is a tough call. I may have to do a second look for these guys.
Yeah that's a pretty tough predicament there. But it seems like being close you your city NOLA would be a good deciding factor. I spent two days in New Orleans and LOVED it, without a doubt would love to live and work in this city!

ananasmed

5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Just playing a little devil's advocate, but how often do you really think you'll get down to New Orleans as a WCU student? Don't get me wrong, I know what it means to miss New Orleans, I'm just trying to make a point that your perceived proximity may still not allow you to visit as often as you'd like. However, I do think that "fit" and the feelings you get on campus are really important clues - if you felt inherently more comfortable at WCU, then maybe that is your answer!

Reactions: AlteredScale

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Last edited: