WCVM c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey again,

They will try to catch you off guard, likely because they want to know how you handle pressure. So sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you react. Just read up on some headlines on the Internet/newspaper/radio, maybe something about the pipelines they want to build across to the coast from AB. Different ideas may be something political, economical and environmental, which is also something globally important. Those types of current events. Sometimes, they may not have time to blast you with a current event either.

You will always get a chance to talk about yourself!

When do you interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey again,

They will try to catch you off guard, likely because they want to know how you handle pressure. So sometimes it isn't what you say, but how you react. Just read up on some headlines on the Internet/newspaper/radio, maybe something about the pipelines they want to build across to the coast from AB. Different ideas may be something political, economical and environmental, which is also something globally important. Those types of current events. Sometimes, they may not have time to blast you with a current event either.

You will always get a chance to talk about yourself!

When do you interview?

I'm on April 24th, the day after my molecular biology final :scared: I still have nothing to wear! I'll have to find time to go shopping in the middle of all this final exam stress....

Ah yes, first impressions are important :)

Good luck on your exams and interview! Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone with interviews this week! Can't believe they're already upon us!!

My interview is Tuesday and I couldn't be more nervous. But I'll be so relieved when it's all out of my hands, I hope! Then again, I'll probably be stressing about it until we hear an answer anyways :p

22 more hours until my interview :scared: I don't know if I'll be able to sleep tonight. That would mean that during my interview I will have been awake for 48 hours straight since I just pulled an all-nighter studying for the final I just had. Not good!!!!

Why are we so quiet on this thread? lol

You will be great!!!! :) Just relax and be yourself. Talk to yourself in the mirror while you're getting ready, take a few deep breaths before you go in and you're set. :thumbup:

Best of luck!!! :luck:

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF and try not to accidentally swear in your interview. :) Haha!

:luck:

Thank you Escalla!

And congratulations to you on getting accepted! At Kansas, right? (yes, I did a little snooping :p) That's so exciting!! You're still waiting on UCVM right? Do you have a WCVM interview?

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

BELIEVE IN YOURSELF and try not to accidentally swear in your interview. :) Haha!

Accidentally swear?? Do I even want to know...? Lol.....

Anyways, Thank you!!! I need all the luck I can get. I've never done anything like this before, so this is completely new to me :oops:

Thank you Escalla!

And congratulations to you on getting accepted! At Kansas, right? (yes, I did a little snooping :p) That's so exciting!! You're still waiting on UCVM right? Do you have a WCVM interview?

Thanks! Yep, Kansas would be it. :) UCVM and WCVM notify at the same time, so we can be freaked out together! I have to send in my spring grades for WCVM to decide if I get a second round or not. Hopefully they will extend one. :xf:

Just take your time answering, smile a lot and breathe. Once the first question is over, things will be easier. :)

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

LOL... a tip from personal experience? :) made my night of prepping that much better thinking about a slip up :laugh:

Thanks! Yep, Kansas would be it. :) UCVM and WCVM notify at the same time, so we can be freaked out together! I have to send in my spring grades for WCVM to decide if I get a second round or not. Hopefully they will extend one. :xf:

Just take your time answering, smile a lot and breathe. Once the first question is over, things will be easier. :)

WOW how did I miss this news?! CONGRATS ESCALLA!! you're going to be a vet!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)

WOW how did I miss this news?! CONGRATS ESCALLA!! you're going to be a vet!!!!!!

Thanks!!!! :D Although, to avoid massive amounts of debt, I'm really hoping UCVM/WCVM comes through for me. :laugh:

When is your interview??

Good luck everyone! Don't get stressed out about not being able to sleep. Even laying down and resting your body will be better than nothing at all!

The night before my interview last year I went to a hot yoga class (which had a dance component <- that was different), but it helped me.

And I did a work out in the morning before my interview. I was pretty relaxed. I didn't get accepted, but it was my first time interviewing with UCVM... It was the most relaxed I had been before any stressful interview/exam.

How did interviews go today for those that had them??

How did interviews go today for those that had them??

It was okay, but I'm not too happy with how it went. There were so many things I wish I would have said. And they asked me a lot about large animals and food animals, which I knew little about. Oh well.... We'll see what happens.

Did you have your interview yet? How was it?

And now I'm looking into applying to some US schools for next year. For everyone that applied internationally, how did you go about doing that? Which schools even accept Canadian students? I heard that UC Davis does... And I like that for WCVM, I knew exactly which courses they wanted, but for other schools, it's kind of hard to tell. How is the admissions process? I hear that there's essays and other supplemental applications? And how is taking the GRE, how long did it take to prepare?

Don't count yourself out just yet!! We are usually harder on ourselves than others and probably think we did way worse than is actually true. Did you have large animal experience?..I'm surprised they went into that much detail about it (especially if you were unfamiliar in that area).

I had my interview last Tuesday in Saskatoon. It was scary at first and all became real walking into the college and realizing how badly I wanted to be walking into the doors again in the fall! I think it went okay..it's hard to tell because you don't know what they're thinking or looking for and who knows what I'm up against but I will keep my fingers crossed and an optimistic attitude :).

I did apply to Wisconsin (kind of wish I hadn't with the competition level and lack of seats for international students) but the GRE isn't hard to sign up for. Just have to go to the website and find a testing centre in your location and pick a date. I didn't prepare NEAR enough.. I was taking 3 spring/summer classes with 2 labs at the same time I should have been studying for it so I would recommend if you're going to take it, pick a time when you have a lot of free time to spend doing practice exams and such.

As for courses they need as pre-requisites, usually the website for each school will have it listed under an "academic requirements" tab.

Yeah, they asked me quite a bit about large animals and I have no experience there. I kept trying to bring up my wildlife and bird experience, but they didn't seem to want to hear about that. Oh well, I'm keeping my fingers crossed! And even if it doesn't work out, I'll be much more prepared for next year (ie. learn all about large animals!!).

But I'm definitely going to try and apply internationally. I've looked at a few website, but it seems like each school requires some random course that I really don't want to take. Like public speaking, or psychology, or 12 units of sociology courses when my major only requires 6. I haven't found a single school where I meet the requirements without having to take extra courses! And on the websites of the schools, I can never find anything that explicitly says that they accept Canadian or international students. Does that usually mean that they do? I guess I should do more research and contact the schools myself...

Fishfinn, re: the GRE, if you're good at math, that part is kind of easy (ie. grade 11 and 12 math material), except you have to be really quick at solving the problems, but with some practice that comes easy. The English part I found harder, the vocabulary was very advanced, so I suggest doing some readings such as Middlemarch or the like (although it is a very long book).

Certain schools in the US don't reserve many spots for international students, while others do. I applied to Tufts this year (I think they only accept 35% of in-state residents and the rest are out of state because the state cut their funding), and I got accepted!!

Also, even though some schools say they require 12 credits of sociology for example, I found that if you contact the director of admissions, they may overlook certain electives like that and be okay with what you have. I went to UBC, and some of the courses didn't have a lab component (which Tufts required)...but they accepted what I had instead, and everything worked out okay. Their interview process was also very relaxed, the questions weren't very structured, and it felt like they just wanted to get to know me as a person (although with these kinds of interviews everyone felt that they did really well, so it's hard to know what they look for).

Oh my gosh fishfin I think we had the exact same interview!! Haha they kept asking me about cows and I've mainly worked in research (some sheep and pigs there, but they really didnt care about that) so I was getting rather (internally) frustrated!!! I really hope my frustration wasn't apparent outwardly... Maybe everyone from bc will be in the same boat in that respect and we'll make it through!!!! :)

Escalla and Kermit: don't give up hope yet on the interviews! I did some reconnaissance for you before the interview started and the very nice secretary told me that they've interviewd 19 over the last 3 days. I think a few people were offered interviews in sask, but assuming that's only 3 or so, there's still lots of interview offers to be sent out so don't lose hope!!!! :) so keep those hopes up!

That is so weird they focused so much on large animals! You'd think they would have a similar structure to the interview and the only time large animal stuff was brought up in my interview was when I told them my experience in that field! Even after telling them they hardly asked a single question about it.

Where were the BC interviews held?

Oh my gosh fishfin I think we had the exact same interview!! Haha they kept asking me about cows and I've mainly worked in research (some sheep and pigs there, but they really didnt care about that) so I was getting rather (internally) frustrated!!! I really hope my frustration wasn't apparent outwardly... Maybe everyone from bc will be in the same boat in that respect and we'll make it through!!!! :)

Escalla and Kermit: don't give up hope yet on the interviews! I did some reconnaissance for you before the interview started and the very nice secretary told me that they've interviewd 19 over the last 3 days. I think a few people were offered interviews in sask, but assuming that's only 3 or so, there's still lots of interview offers to be sent out so don't lose hope!!!! :) so keep those hopes up!
AH! You are truly a hero. You don't know how much this made my day! AHHH YOU ARE THE BEST! :love:

... except now I'm realizing that I, too, know absolutely nothing about cows. Awesome. Maybe I should go hop the fence of the closest dairy farm and try to get up-close and personal experience just in case ...

I'm sure your interview went fine - one of my supervisors went to WCVM, and she said she left the interview basically in tears it was so awful and she was accepted. SO WORRY NOT! :)

I had my interview yesterday in Saskatoon and really just wanted to ease your nerves. While I'm not 100% sure my interview was stellar, I walked out smiling, as did the other applicants I saw. The panel are a friendly bunch, so just relax, be honest, and sell yourselves! Apparently, the admissions committee meets on June 8 to make their final decisions, and shortly after that, the letters will be mailed. Successful Alberta applicants will also receive a phone call this year. Another fact that might interest you is that each province has 3 different interviewers - so they keep it the same within, but not across provinces. Every one is very friendly, and if you go on the tour, you'll find that Dr Grahn is quite a character - in a good way :)

Luck doesn't have much to do with it - but good luck anyways :)

I had my interview yesterday in Saskatoon and really just wanted to ease your nerves. While I'm not 100% sure my interview was stellar, I walked out smiling, as did the other applicants I saw. The panel are a friendly bunch, so just relax, be honest, and sell yourselves! Apparently, the admissions committee meets on June 8 to make their final decisions, and shortly after that, the letters will be mailed. Successful Alberta applicants will also receive a phone call this year. Another fact that might interest you is that each province has 3 different interviewers - so they keep it the same within, but not across provinces. Every one is very friendly, and if you go on the tour, you'll find that Dr Grahn is quite a character - in a good way :)

Luck doesn't have much to do with it - but good luck anyways :)

When I went for my interview, Heather told me that we would receive e-mails instead of mailed letters this year notifying us that final decisions had been made and that the button on that page with all the information updates would be enabled and we could click into that to see the decision. Good to know a specific date of when they're meeting though! All the interviewers told me was "mid-June" when I asked at the end of the interview.

You got to go on a tour?? Lucky! What all did the tour include?

Hi everyone and congrats to all those who have had and are awaiting interviews! I just finished the last exam of my undergrad and I'm kind of feeling like I'm at a dead end... Anyone in here still waiting to hear for second round? :cool:

Congratulations, jmf391! Awesome feeling, isn't it!? My convocation's June 5th. When's yours? I know that dreary feeling, even though I had my interview, because you just don't know what's going to happen and after spending at least 4 years in school, it's a huge transition step in between finding out what you're doing next. Whatever it is though, I'm sure it will not be a dead end :)

As for the tour, it was pretty neat - it was rushed a bit because Dr Grahn had another engagement to attend, but we toured the building, and he showed us where the first year lecture theatre was, as well as some sections of the teaching hospital. It really is amazing how top notch their facilities are. I may have heard Heather incorrectly about the mailing part, but she did mention an email which will notify us that a final decision has been made.

Congratulations, jmf391! Awesome feeling, isn't it!? My convocation's June 5th. When's yours? I know that dreary feeling, even though I had my interview, because you just don't know what's going to happen and after spending at least 4 years in school, it's a huge transition step in between finding out what you're doing next. Whatever it is though, I'm sure it will not be a dead end :)

As for the tour, it was pretty neat - it was rushed a bit because Dr Grahn had another engagement to attend, but we toured the building, and he showed us where the first year lecture theatre was, as well as some sections of the teaching hospital. It really is amazing how top notch their facilities are. I may have heard Heather incorrectly about the mailing part, but she did mention an email which will notify us that a final decision has been made.

That's so cool! They didn't even offer a tour to us Saskatchewan folk! Congrats to you and jmf391 on your convocation. I just finished my undergrad yesterday and convovate June 6, so exciting!

Where are you from jmf391?

jmf - I'm still waiting as well! Probably second week of May they hope to hand interviews out, and will be held end of May/early June.

I didn't do well this semester, I can still hope, but I don't think this is my year.

Glad I'm not completely alone on that! Yeah they seem very uninterested in my small animal stuff, and kept asking me about large and food animals. One of them asked me to outline the steps a turkey takes from birth to your plate :confused::confused::confused::confused: (I should add, I didn't say anything to prompt that question.... totally out of the blue EDIT: oh wait, it might have been when I mentioned banding birds for the summer. But identifying songbirds is totally different from slaughtering turkeys so.....) I winged it, lol, I hope it didn't go too terribly, but I'm already feeling that rejection letter coming. I'll be more prepared for next year!!

Last edited:
I also wanna ask: any fellow SFU-ers out there want to start a pre-vet club this year? I really want to for this summer, but I really don't know anybody else interested. Come on lurkers!! Please message me if you want to!! :)

Hi everyone and congrats to all those who have had and are awaiting interviews! I just finished the last exam of my undergrad and I'm kind of feeling like I'm at a dead end... Anyone in here still waiting to hear for second round? :cool:

Yes.. I am waiting for the second round of interviews too! I too just finished my undergrad but I am still very hopeful!

Ohh tour! I'm super jealous! :D
I'm from Alberta, getting a BSc in Agriculture with an Animal Science major on June 6 at 3pm. Woot woot! The day after I get back from Las Vegas (first time there - I'm pretty stoked).
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in the waiting game. This is brutal though, isn't it? Has anybody started getting marks back from their universities? Maybe I'm just impatient. :boom:

Ohh tour! I'm super jealous! :D
I'm from Alberta, getting a BSc in Agriculture with an Animal Science major on June 6 at 3pm. Woot woot! The day after I get back from Las Vegas (first time there - I'm pretty stoked).
I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone in the waiting game. This is brutal though, isn't it? Has anybody started getting marks back from their universities? Maybe I'm just impatient. :boom:

I am slowly but surely getting marks back...only 2 out of 6 so far though haha Gotta love this season...lots of stress with exams and then the waiting game!

So far only two marks back... Agreed -> that the waiting game is stressful!

Hi guys! I have my interview on Wednesday in Sask and I was wondering what kind of cow questions did they ask? I have a quite a bit of large animal experience but am not 100% confident that I would be able to answer detailed questions. Also, did anybody bring in their resume and cover letter?

I never got asked cow questions durin my interview last year. I guess I was lucky?

No, I didn't need to bring a resume. They will have your application in front of them, so depending on your personal statement they may ask questions about that.

But it depends on the interviewers too! If you have lots of cattle experience, maybe it will be the opposite and they will ask about any experience from other areas?

I just had my interview today. Man, I wish I added information at the end. The Alberta panel was a really nice bunch :) Good luck to those who are still waiting! btw, i was told they would arrive at a decision in late June.... so much waiting... Fingers crossed!

I also had my interview yesterday in Edmonton. It went ok...I think haha. Its so hard to know! Anyways he also said late june! I thought that UCVM and WCVM timed their acceptances so that you can choose one or the other (cause I think they only give you about a week to reply). Does anyone know how this works? For example if UCVM lets us know in early june then we might have to decide before hearing from WCVM!

Random question.. what were peoples grades like in first/second year..? I just finished second year and came in with an average just under 75.. obviously not my year for WCVM.. :(. I'm feeling a bit discouraged but am hoping I can pull my average up in the next year (hopefully) or two.. thoughts?

I also had my interview yesterday in Edmonton. It went ok...I think haha. Its so hard to know! Anyways he also said late june! I thought that UCVM and WCVM timed their acceptances so that you can choose one or the other (cause I think they only give you about a week to reply). Does anyone know how this works? For example if UCVM lets us know in early june then we might have to decide before hearing from WCVM!

WCVM usually times it around the same time as UCVM - both schools know when the other school has sent out acceptances, so it's generally within a pretty tight time frame.

Historically, UCVM phones those that get accepted sometime in the second week of June and WCVM lets people know within a week (depends if they decide to phone the Alberta applicants that were accepted or not and just send normal notifications out). It probably won't be a 2 week wait between notifications from UCVM and WCVM :)

Random question.. what were peoples grades like in first/second year..? I just finished second year and came in with an average just under 75.. obviously not my year for WCVM.. :(. I'm feeling a bit discouraged but am hoping I can pull my average up in the next year (hopefully) or two.. thoughts?

I was one of many people who did not rock first year but did pick up my socks for second year and on. I would say dont be discouraged because if you can bring your GPA up the next two years you should keep trying because WCVM looks at 2/3 your overall GPA and 1/3 your best year! ...In saying this I have not gotten an interview offer yet but I am definitely still hopeful.

Has anyone else gone for interviews or been invited yet for the second round? I'm pretty sure they'll be sending them soon :)

They still haven't indicated that they received my transcripts yet, and I sent them over a week ago. So if they haven't gotten transcripts yet, I think it would still be a while. Have they received anyone else's transcripts yet? Or is it just me...

They still haven't indicated that they received my transcripts yet, and I sent them over a week ago. So if they haven't gotten transcripts yet, I think it would still be a while. Have they received anyone else's transcripts yet? Or is it just me...

I havent even been able to send my transcript yet! I am still waiting for my school to process a mark but I have sent the unofficial marks. They said they were due May 11th right? So we wont hear back before then Im sure.

It's definitely a good idea to email them your unofficial marks - I think they might even go off of those for now...if they need to determine candidates for all the remaining interviews as well as schedule them within 3 weeks, I'm sure that they will be sending invites soon. Maybe the 11th applies to unofficial grades too?

I already had my interview, but I still emailed my unofficial grades straight away and saw it updated on the portal that the transcript was received, with 'unofficial' in parentheses.

Either way, only 1 1/2 months to go until we find out final decisions!

Interesting. I e-mailed my unofficial marks as well, but nothing has been updated. I got a confirmation emailed that they received it though. Hmm I'll probably check with them this week!

In the past, you get roughly two weeks notice on when interviews are. Last year AB's were May 31-Jun 3rd (ish?) in Edm.

May 11th is for official or unofficial grades, whatever you have at the time, send them off! My uni hasn't posted all the final grades yet either.