WCVM c/o 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats fishfinn!!!! Great to hear! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my invite for the beginning of May! So excited :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an interview invite!! Week of April 23rd :) soooo excited. Hang in there people who still haven't heard! When I called Heather today it sounded like she was still sending them out. I have a very low 80s average (mid-high 80 with best year counted higher though), so have hope!!

Yay! Congrats, Dr.Sabes! I'm happy the out of province invites are finally going out!

Hey Dr.Sabes just wondering how this works at WCVM. I thought you needed to have a full course load to apply, how are you only taking one course?

Congrats fishfin!! :)

akroening: I graduated from UBC last year (had full course loads the whole way through), but as I applied to a few schools internationally I had some random pre-reqs for various schools to finish up. I'm currently in a calc course (URRRRG) as one school required 6 credits of math (not math and/or stats) so I was missing that. I think the rule is that you have to have a full course load during your undergrad, but considering that I already graduated and was taking this year "off", I assumed I was still eligible. It would have been crazy expensive if I'd had to take a full load this year when I only needed the one class!!

Again, fingers crossed for everyone who is still waiting to hear!!! :xf::luck::luck:

Congrats akroening and Dr. Sabes!!!!! You guys are going to rock it!!! :highfive:

I really really hope they're still sending them out.....:scared:

Hey guys! Since receiving the super fantastic news that I got an interview offer yesterday, I decided to take the plunge from lurker to member :D

I am an Alberta applicant - so stoked! With an average of 80 applicants applying from Alberta, 1/2 get an interview offer...and then 1/2 of those interviewed get in...so we are slowly climbing the probability ladder that in a few years, we may just be practising vets, doing what we love! How cool is that?!

Crossing my fingers and toes for everyone (well, maybe except AB applicants...they're my competition, haha. Just kidding)!

Hey guys,

Congrats to those who got interviews! :) Just wondering if anyone else from Alberta got invites? My grades are decent enough that I did get an interview last year but I knew I didn't have as much animal experience as they would like.... So I am really stressed out hoping for an invite. Preferably soon given some of you guys already got yours...

Dr.Sabes, I just saw your name under official acceptances to WesternU, that's awesome! Congrats! Have you heard back from any of the other US schools you applied to that you were still waiting on or RVC?

Dr.Sabes, I just saw your name under official acceptances to WesternU, that's awesome! Congrats! Have you heard back from any of the other US schools you applied to that you were still waiting on or RVC?

I was accepted to RVC's 5 year program and I'm first on the wait-list for their 4 year program. I think I would probably choose WesternU over RVC though just because of the insane amount of hands-on experience you get there (compared with RVC and the majority of other schools). You start in the clinics right from your first week of class, and spend the better part of your last 2 years doing rotations instead of just the last year... It's also a fair bit closer to home! Anyway, I'll still have some thinking to do if I get off the RVC waitlist in April... I'm also on the waitlist at Oregon State... waitlists make life so complicated (but at least they weren't rejections!)!!! The rest of the US schools I applied to sent me thin letters of doom. Did you apply internationally dls?

Welcome to sdn previous lurkers :) and best of luck in this crazy application process :luck::luck:

Oh my gosh, good for you! No matter what happens with WCVM you're going to be a DVM!! :D

I applied to Wisconsin - kind of wish I would have saved the money after I saw how competitive that school was and everyone's stats who applied and got in, but oh well!

Members don't see this ad :)
OK

scratch the no interview thing from yesterday :D got my WCVM interview!!!! yay! Compared to UCVM, i find WCVM's interview more personable for sure.

That awkward moment when you feel like you're the only one in the forum without an interview ... +pity+haha!

Congrats to everyone who has received one so far, though!

I'm gonna pretend mine's still coming ....
(But if that's not the case, you guys will just have to give me all sorts of insider tips for next year, then ;))

That awkward moment when you feel like you're the only one in the forum without an interview ... +pity+haha!

Congrats to everyone who has received one so far, though!

I'm gonna pretend mine's still coming ....
(But if that's not the case, you guys will just have to give me all sorts of insider tips for next year, then ;))

Don't worry, I'm in the same boat. :) We just have to wait a bit longer until May! :thumbup:

don't worry kermit123 and escalla! I'm sure your invites are still coming!!! And even if they don't come until May, at least you'll have a short(er) wait time between the interview and final decision!! good luck!!!! :)

I just decided to stop creeping on the forum and actually join haha
its great to hear that so many of you guys have interviews!...Im still waiting and knocking on wood...haha

Congrats fuzzybee! Don't worry escalla and kermit, I'm crossing my fingers for you both!!

Welcome jumpergirl! Whereabouts are you from?

me too, me too!!! escalla and kermit. At least there's 4 of us :))
Hi jumpergirl !

well I contacted Heather with a nice follow up letter assuming i did not make the first round of interviews. She said she had good news but it took awhile because they are sorting out the interview times.

So if you think your grades are decent, give it some time. I know, waiting was killing me.

Hopefully this helps! :)

Thanks guys! You are all so welcoming! I am from BC.
Fuzzybee, when you say she had good news for you does that mean you got an interview!? Did Heather say there are more interviews to give out??

To everyone still awaiting interviews, there's still time! For BC it could be as late as early April I think so hang tight!

Thanks guys! You are all so welcoming! I am from BC.
Fuzzybee, when you say she had good news for you does that mean you got an interview!? Did Heather say there are more interviews to give out??

Yeah, I am super excited about my interview :D She worded it like there are more to be sent and i got my interview invite about half an hour after she replied. I am am from Alberta though... not sure if that would make a difference.

Fingers crossed!

Congrats fuzzybee!!

and welcome to the forum jumpergirl!

Thats awesome fuzzybee! congrads!
and thanks... A little hope is still here haha!
knockin on wood

Are there no other Saskatchewanians on this forum?! Haha

Hey guys,

I didn't bother applying to WCVM this year because i didn't think I'd even come close. Those of you that were offered interviews, would you be willing to share some of your stats? your cumulative gpa and last couple years? My understanding is that they're fussed about cumulative gpa, but apparently if your last couple years are very good they weight them more heavily- could anybody provide more info on this?

Congrats to everybody :)

I think WCVM only counts your single best year more heavily. I forget exactly how much more emphasis they put on it though....

edit: I think I remember it being 2/3 best year 1/3 cumulative GPA

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I didn't bother applying to WCVM this year because i didn't think I'd even come close. Those of you that were offered interviews, would you be willing to share some of your stats? your cumulative gpa and last couple years? My understanding is that they're fussed about cumulative gpa, but apparently if your last couple years are very good they weight them more heavily- could anybody provide more info on this?

I'm on the lower end but still managed to get a first-round interview somehow.. My best year is somewhere around an 83.3%, I believe, with a cumulative GPA of 80.1% after a tough semester last semester. I know they mainly ONLY look at grades for interview invites but perhaps because I am finishing my degree in about a week here made a bit of a difference as well? Not too sure..

Hope this gives you some hope! :)

Hey guys,

I'm a BC resident, and I have an 81.9% overall, best year at 86% ... but of course I haven't been offered an interview, so DO BETTER THAN THAT! =P

And as far as I know it's just your best year they weight more heavily.

Last edited:
I'm a BC resident, and I have an 81.9% overall, best year at 86% ... but of course I haven't been offered an interview, so DO BETTER THAN THAT! =P

And as far as I know it's just your best year they weight more heavily.

I'm really confused because I have about the same GPA as you if not worse... especially since I'm from SFU I know our marks are counted as less. I have a 3.7 GPA (A-) and according to WCVM that's 82%..... Even though to earn an A- those profs who do give percentages before converting to GPA have counted it as an 86 or 87.

I'm sure your interview is still coming, Kermit don't be discouraged!

Kermit: do you have a full course load this semester? If they're waiting on a lot of your grades, that might be why you haven't gotten your interview offer yet... that was my understanding of "first" and "second" round interviews. Your stats are around the same as mine (and we're both UBC! :D ). 80.3% overall and 90% best year... so don't give up hope yet!!

Aw, you guys are so encouraging! I'm not waiting on any grades, though - I graduated in May, so ... I'm just waiting ... you know.

I still have hope, though! :thumbup: But even if (especially if) I don't get an interview, you guys have to rock yours and do me proud! :)

Aw Kermit you're so sweet. Defs pulling for you!

Gahhh trying to procrastinate studying for my biochem lab final tomorrow... And with all my other finals coming up, I can't even begin to practice interview questions...

I hear ya! Genetics lab final this week will be the death of me..and I have three back to back finals starting the day after my interview.

Looks like I'll be doing a lot of cramming!...

I think WCVM only counts your single best year more heavily. I forget exactly how much more emphasis they put on it though....

edit: I think I remember it being 2/3 best year 1/3 cumulative GPA
Hey guys!
I just got an email back from Heather and she told me that it is 1/3 your best year and 2/3 overall GPA.
Just thought I would pass on the info!

Manitoba resident. Got an interview offer 2 days ago for late May (told interviews would be from May 22nd-25th) and so very excited! Good luck to everyone :)

So what plans do you guys have if you don't get in for c/o 2016? I guess it's always good to have a back up plan...I'm not sure yet what I'll do. But what if we do get in?! There will be so much to do in the two months between finding out we're in and starting classes! Ooh, and we could be roomies and have study sessions, and become each other's bridesmaids! Lol, maybe instead of daydreaming I need to get back to studying...

Has anyone moved to Sask from another province to increase their chances? I heard Sask has fewer applicants per year.

Has anyone moved to Sask from another province to increase their chances? I heard Sask has fewer applicants per year.
My old workplace had a lot of pre-vet students working there - I overheard the managers talking about a few girls who moved out there and got in after being unsuccessful in BC, but no one I knew personally.

Yes, hearsay ;)

I have a friend who moved there and she used to be an old roommate. She was reminiscing and saying if I get into WCVM we could be roommates again. It makes me contemplate jumping a province again!

Off the top of my head, I can think of 5 people in my class who moved to Saskatchewan to gain residency. I guess it worked out alright for them!

Hey guys,

Don't despair if you don't get accepted at WCVM or didn't even get an interview. I was rejected from WCVM twice and then I moved to Ontario and got into OVC on my first try. I love it here.

I really hate that WCVM only looks at your grades to determine the interview, I had a mid 80s cumulative average and an 89 in my last 2 years and I never got an interview at WCVM, I don't know if they changed their admissions process recently, but that was how it was in 2009 when I applied.

Goodluck to everyone in their interviews!

Where are you from, Neoformans? Not gonna lie, that's a little discouraging. I'm from BC and my marks aren't as good as your's. I did get an interview, but that means I'm probably one of the last people on the list, which makes it difficult/impossible to move up to the top 20 spots through the interview score.

I'm so nervous with interviews coming up!! I've read quite a bit of what to expect, but does anyone who's had an interview before (at any school) have any advice on what kinds of questions to prepare for? :) :) I'm most nervous about ethics and current event questions....

I'd also like to know what to expect during the interview at WCVM? Mine is coming up in early May and I haven't started prepping at all yet with finals keeping me crazy busy. I'm also wondering if it's the same interview team if your interview isn't physically in Saskatoon? I'm an Albertan resident and my interview is in Edmonton. The other dates they offered that were in Saskatoon were on the same dates as some of my finals...ugh. Didn't want to try and tackle both the interview and an immunology final on the same day!

Where are you from, Neoformans? Not gonna lie, that's a little discouraging. I'm from BC and my marks aren't as good as your's. I did get an interview, but that means I'm probably one of the last people on the list, which makes it difficult/impossible to move up to the top 20 spots through the interview score.

I'm so nervous with interviews coming up!! I've read quite a bit of what to expect, but does anyone who's had an interview before (at any school) have any advice on what kinds of questions to prepare for? :) :) I'm most nervous about ethics and current event questions....

Congrats on your interview fishfinn! My best advice for anyone interviewing, go for a run before! Or some sort of physical activity. It'll help shake off those nervous twitches ;) I've interview twice, and the first time I bomb it because I was soooo nervous I cried in the interview. All of my vet colleagues at the time had told me that it made me memorable! But I don't want to be remembered by that! Haha! My second time around I did much better, as I had my own mini dance party at my house to get rid of the nerves. I still did not get in, but I am not giving up yet!

Other advice? Just know how to think on your feet, and be honest if you do not know the answer, say you don't and move on to something that you can talk well on, rather than wasting time rambling about something that you don't. They can ask you anything and everything under the sun! Current events: global, provincial, animal related, things with high impact, or even things that interest you. They want to know who you are and how you stand out. Animal related experience: any opportunity that you can do to make yourself look as diverse as possible, no matter what you want to be. If you want to be a SA, still mention the large animal experience you have gained. Know something about your provincial vet med association. Make eye contact, smile :) have fun! ;) The questions I got in the first interview were different than in the second. So I think there is only so much you can prepare for each time. Know your stance on ethical issues and welfare. I hope that helps! Good luck on your interview!! I tried from BC for a few years and didn't get an interview, and you can jump ranks over a lot of people with better grades just based on how well you interview.

Yes, I'm curious Neoformans, where are you from?

I'm originally from BC, and moved to AB thinking I would increase my odds. Little did I know I was moving to the most competitive province ;) I am now contemplating the move to Sask, but really would move across Canada if I thought I had a chance.

For OVC you need to write the MCAT, am I right?

Congrats on your interview fishfinn! My best advice for anyone interviewing, go for a run before! Or some sort of physical activity. It'll help shake off those nervous twitches ;) I've interview twice, and the first time I bomb it because I was soooo nervous I cried in the interview. All of my vet colleagues at the time had told me that it made me memorable! But I don't want to be remembered by that! Haha! My second time around I did much better, as I had my own mini dance party at my house to get rid of the nerves. I still did not get in, but I am not giving up yet!

Other advice? Just know how to think on your feet, and be honest if you do not know the answer, say you don't and move on to something that you can talk well on, rather than wasting time rambling about something that you don't. They can ask you anything and everything under the sun! Current events: global, provincial, animal related, things with high impact, or even things that interest you. They want to know who you are and how you stand out. Animal related experience: any opportunity that you can do to make yourself look as diverse as possible, no matter what you want to be. If you want to be a SA, still mention the large animal experience you have gained. Know something about your provincial vet med association. Make eye contact, smile :) have fun! ;) The questions I got in the first interview were different than in the second. So I think there is only so much you can prepare for each time. Know your stance on ethical issues and welfare. I hope that helps! Good luck on your interview!! I tried from BC for a few years and didn't get an interview, and you can jump ranks over a lot of people with better grades just based on how well you interview.

Yes, I'm curious Neoformans, where are you from?

I'm originally from BC, and moved to AB thinking I would increase my odds. Little did I know I was moving to the most competitive province ;) I am now contemplating the move to Sask, but really would move across Canada if I thought I had a chance.

For OVC you need to write the MCAT, am I right?

Thank you for the advice, super helpful! I've never had a vet school interview before, or even any important interview so I really don't know what to expect. I know my stance on certain issues, but I know I'll have trouble verbalizing it during an interview. I really hope they focus more on questions about myself, I'm much more comfortable talking about me :laugh:

I don't know, I'm most afraid that they'll catch me off-guard with some current event or issue I've never heard about. I guess you're right though, in that situation it's best to be honest and say you would need more information on that topic to talk about it. Would it be best to ask about it and show you're interested in knowing about it? Or just simply say you don't know about it and move on?