WCVM c/o 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poogie2772

Reaction score
I noticed there wasn't a WCVM thread this year, so I went ahead and made one! Let me know if there is one already :)

I'm applying for the first time this year and would love to chat with others also applying, or people who have already gotten in. Does anyone know if point-form is ok for the animal experience part of the application?

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed there wasn't a WCVM thread this year, so I went ahead and made one! Let me know if there is one already :)

I'm applying for the first time this year and would love to chat with others also applying, or people who have already gotten in. Does anyone know if point-form is ok for the animal experience part of the application?
Hey! I’m also a first time applicant from BC. I was wondering the same thing about the experiences part. Hopefully somebody else knows.

Hey! I’m also a first time applicant from BC. I was wondering the same thing about the experiences part. Hopefully somebody else knows.
Hey guys!! I am also a first time applicant from BC, and yes you can definitely write in point form. I have gone through many many threads and a lot of people write point form in their application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hey! I'm in my first year at WCVM and just like @jadbud2702 said, point form is definitely ok! I actually find that it is better because you want to leave room for yourself to expand on your experiences in the interview which will be tailored to your application! Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any other questions and good luck! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! I'm in my first year at WCVM and just like @jadbud2702 said, point form is definitely ok! I actually find that it is better because you want to leave room for yourself to expand on your experiences in the interview which will be tailored to your application! Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any other questions and good luck! :)
Hey, I'm assuming from your username that you were in the MB pool, this is also the pool I will be applying in this year. Is it true that MB is less competitive than SK normally? I'm a little concerned about there only being 15 seats.

Hey, I'm assuming from your username that you were in the MB pool, this is also the pool I will be applying in this year. Is it true that MB is less competitive than SK normally? I'm a little concerned about there only being 15 seats.
Haha you assume right! It is generally less competitive because although there are less seats there are usually less applicant's! But no matter how competitive it is if you work hard and believe in yourself you can do it! :happy:

Hey everyone, I'm an international applicant to WCVM. Does anyone know when the interview invites are sent out? I couldn't find any info on their website.

Hey everyone, I'm an international applicant to WCVM. Does anyone know when the interview invites are sent out? I couldn't find any info on their website.
Hello! I am a second time international applicant. I interviewed last year and they sent my invite at the end of October. Unless the VMCAS deadline extension changes things, I would assume they are going to send international invites this year at a similar time.

Hi everyone!

I trying again to get into WCVM, and happy to help any first timers!

Good luck everyone!

Does anyone who got in last year from BC know what the average cut-off was for an interview? The WCVM website said last year's admissions was 78.8% to 94.8%, but I'm curious about BC specifically

Does anyone who got in last year from BC know what the average cut-off was for an interview? The WCVM website said last year's admissions was 78.8% to 94.8%, but I'm curious about BC specifically
I am not sure about last year but I know in the past the cut off has been usually at 85%???????????

Just got the invitation of interview! First time international applicant😊I summited my application on 9/1

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First time international student from the US. Applied 9/8, supplemental completed 10/4. Just got an interview invite via email!

First time international student applying to WCVM!!

Does anyone know how many seats are reserved for the international pool?

First time international student applying to WCVM!!

Does anyone know how many seats are reserved for the international pool?
A minimum of five seats are reserved for international applicants.

Is anyone else struggling with the section of the application dedicated to non-animal related experiences? I'm not entirely sure what they are looking for here. I have tailored all of my experiences to animal related things for the last 5 years so I am feeling a bit hooped.

Is anyone else struggling with the section of the application dedicated to non-animal related experiences? I'm not entirely sure what they are looking for here. I have tailored all of my experiences to animal related things for the last 5 years so I am feeling a bit hooped.
Based on my interview I gather they are looking for things like sports, clubs, sorority/fraternity, anything extracirricular. It can be from way in the past too like high school

Based on my interview I gather they are looking for things like sports, clubs, sorority/fraternity, anything extracirricular. It can be from way in the past too like high school
Thank you so much! That is super helpful!

Do we have to include a passport type photo in the application?

Looks like it! I had to do one for my application to Edinburgh so thankfully it was already ready to go.

Be warned that if you get in, the photo you submit will be your ID photo on the student portal website for all the profs and students to see (until it gets replaced with your white coat photo). So for your vanity's sake, I would recommend picking a nice photo. :laugh:

(It doesn't have to be a professional headshot, I even saw a few selfies in the 2025 class photo list. I submitted a cell phone picture of my drivers license and would not recommend that you do the same)

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know when international applicants are supposed to hear back about decisions? My interview was back in November so I've been wondering about it

Does anyone know when international applicants are supposed to hear back about decisions? My interview was back in November so I've been wondering about it
I was told we would be notified of our status mid february and official offers sent out end of february

Last year as an international student I got an admissions update email on February 24th. I would assume it would probably be the last week of February again, but I might be wrong.

So the reference deadline is tomorrow. My vet reference knows the date and I don’t want to bug him because I know he’s so busy but does anybody know what happens if it isn’t in on time?

So the reference deadline is tomorrow. My vet reference knows the date and I don’t want to bug him because I know he’s so busy but does anybody know what happens if it isn’t in on time?
I do feel like that is worth mentioning to your reference! My vet reference is notorious for falling behind so I gave her a heads up on Thursday last week so she still had lots of time and she said she really appreciated it. I'm sure they would prefer to be reminded now rather than tomorrow!

Does anyone know when interview invites go out for first round interviews?

For Canadians, it was sometime in April, if I remember correctly, and the second round was in May. So we have a bit of a wait 🙃

Does anyone know when interview invites go out for first round interviews?
Hi Kittybeans! Great name btw.
Last year I found out in the second week of April about the date of my interview in early May.

First time BC applicant here! How is everyone preparing for interviews? What's competitive gpa in our pool? I really don't know what to expect in BC.

They have send out decisions for international applicants, check it out!!

Reactions: 2 users
International alternate! Hopefully there’s some movement on the waitlist. For those of you that were accepted, are you accepting your seat?

First time BC applicant here! How is everyone preparing for interviews? What's competitive gpa in our pool? I really don't know what to expect in BC.
Hi Alyssa, congrats on your first application. The first is the hardest!
I am a returning BC applicant and I am afraid it's the most competitive of the provincial seats. Last year the GPA (best overall + best year) was around 83, I think, to get an interview. But you never know, they are adjusting the requirements yearly so it could always have an impact on who gets interviewed or not?

Does anyone know approximately how many Albertans were accepted into the non-funded seats last year? I'm curious to know how many Bc/Sask/MB students were willing to pay the international fee or if Albertans applying have a pretty good shot...

How is everyone getting their vet experience? Is paid work okay?

How is everyone getting their vet experience? Is paid work okay?
Paid work is definitely okay! I started as a volunteer and then became a paid vet assistant. I personally feel that it's easier to get more experience in paid roles since there are more aspects of work you can access - for example, I wasn't authorized to handle medications nor help in radiographs when I was a volunteer.

Does anyone know approximately how many Albertans were accepted into the non-funded seats last year? I'm curious to know how many Bc/Sask/MB students were willing to pay the international fee or if Albertans applying have a pretty good shot...
There were 3 Albertans accepted last year!

How many people are in the non ipa pool?
It depends on how many applicants from BC/Sask/MB/etc have checked off that they would like to be considered for a non-sponsored seat. Alberta applicants are all within that pool because they are non-sponsored but the sponsored applicants get first dibs at the non-sponsored seats. Additionally, although there were only 20 Albertan applicants last cycle, I can bet the implementation of the MCAT is going to increase that number by quite a few as many didn't want to write it.

Any ideas as to what the Sask grade cut off for interviews will be this year??
The grade cut-offs change every year based on the GPA's of people applying. Last year I know someone with an 83% GPA (that's overall with best year) got an interview in the Sask pool. But the cut off could be higher or lower this year depending on how competitive people are. I also predict the Sask pool will see some GPA cut-off changes with the addition of those large-animal-veterinarian seats.

Anyone else super anxious for interview invites to come out? I don't know if I can wait any longer.. :lol:

I only got my first round offer on April 5th last year so hang in there!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey! Just wanted to let everyone know that they sent out a message on the application portal about interviews. First round invites going out early-mid April! Fingers crossed!!

Hey all future veterinarians! I'm a first year at the wcvm. I'm from BC and a bunch of us are petitioning the BC government to fund those non IPA seats. That would be an additional 20 seats available for BC students.
This would reduce the amount of BC students moving to other provinces to gain residency.

Please help us by signing and sharing!!
If you have any questions please reach out! [email protected]