WCVM/ UCVM c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! I got an interview also! 3rd time interviewer, so if you have any questions, let me know!

Members don't see this ad.

WOO me too :) congratulations everyone!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys! I got an interview also! 3rd time interviewer, so if you have any questions, let me know!

I have I think a million questions...but the first ones that come to mind are about the essay...is it done in a big room (like a final) or is it alone in a room? how long do you get for the essay? How long is the entire interview process?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am the most nervous about the essay, is it sort of like an MMI question but in an essay format?

Thanks and good luck to everyone hope to see you folks on the day as well as next semester!!!

Do you have any tips for preparing for the MMI in general? Or things to avoid?

As well, did you find they asked a lot of questions specific to large animals, or questions that you would need to have a lot of large animal experience to answer?

I have I think a million questions...but the first ones that come to mind are about the essay...is it done in a big room (like a final) or is it alone in a room? how long do you get for the essay? How long is the entire interview process?
The essay is my least favourite part also to be honest. It's in a room, not a gym or anything and it's maybe big enough for 50-80 people? Everyone gets a computer and you write for one hour. I believe it's 750 words, but for whatever reason I'm having a massive brain fart and can't completely remember. It's a stressful day haha. There are 8 stations for the MMI, 10 mins each so that's approx an hour and a half plus the small break in between the essay and interview (depending though, as you can write the essay first and then interview or vice versa) and then plus the hour for the essay so about 2.5 to 3 hours in total.

I am the most nervous about the essay, is it sort of like an MMI question but in an essay format? Thanks and good luck to everyone hope to see you folks on the day as well as next semester!!!
It's usually a relatively broad question. Focus on large animal stuff and/or reasons you want to go to UCVM.

Do you have any tips for preparing for the MMI in general? Or things to avoid? As well, did you find they asked a lot of questions specific to large animals, or questions that you would need to have a lot of large animal experience to answer?
There is a book by Bernard Rolland called Veterinary Medical Ethics. It outlines ethical scenarios that are sort of similar to things you might find in the MMI and then he gives his answer to it. You can buy it on Amazon. It helped me a lot last year. Talk to people in the profession as well. Hopefully you've got some experience in a clinic because I've found that is what has helped me the most in answering the questions as it gives you the correct lingo to use and lots to put in for the interviews as personal experience. I don't have a ton of large animal and I haven't found it an issue. It's mostly common sense, and if you have small animal experience you can always use that to back up your reasoning!!

Hopefully that helps!! :)

There is a book by Bernard Rolland called Veterinary Medical Ethics. It outlines ethical scenarios that are sort of similar to things you might find in the MMI and then he gives his answer to it. You can buy it on Amazon. It helped me a lot last year. Talk to people in the profession as well. Hopefully you've got some experience in a clinic because I've found that is what has helped me the most in answering the questions as it gives you the correct lingo to use and lots to put in for the interviews as personal experience. I don't have a ton of large animal and I haven't found it an issue. It's mostly common sense, and if you have small animal experience you can always use that to back up your reasoning!!

Ah yes, I actually have read it! I found it really helpful for figuring out how to analyze issues and break them down into logical parts, i'm just worried on interview day i'll be so nervous it will all disapear into one giant brain fart! :confused:

It's great to hear small animal experience will suffice! I've never interviewed with UCVM before, but I do know that they are very large animal focused and so although I do have years of small animal/exotic clinic experience that's always been a worry of mine.

One more question for you. You said this will be your third interview, so if you don't mind me asking, what mistakes would you say you've made in your previous interviews that you think are important to avoid? Also I know if your are rejected WCVM gives you feedback on your interview/application as far as ways you can improve, does UCVM do the same?

Thank you so much, you are a saint for answering our questions like this! :clap::clap:

Congrats all!! When is your interview?

Big congratulations to all those who nabbed a UCVM interview. See you all on interview day, all of us first years are super excited to meet the future firsties!

Ah yes, I actually have read it! I found it really helpful for figuring out how to analyze issues and break them down into logical parts, i'm just worried on interview day i'll be so nervous it will all disapear into one giant brain fart! :confused:

It's great to hear small animal experience will suffice! I've never interviewed with UCVM before, but I do know that they are very large animal focused and so although I do have years of small animal/exotic clinic experience that's always been a worry of mine.

One more question for you. You said this will be your third interview, so if you don't mind me asking, what mistakes would you say you've made in your previous interviews that you think are important to avoid? Also I know if your are rejected WCVM gives you feedback on your interview/application as far as ways you can improve, does UCVM do the same?

Thank you so much, you are a saint for answering our questions like this! :clap::clap:

For a lot of ethical questions, it all comes down to your personal values. Think convenience euthanasia - some vets will do it, some won't. Both parties have their reasons on why or why not, all valid arguments. So just know where you stand on certain topics. Another might be how you feel about ear cropping or tail docking, declawing, those types of issues.

Check out the CVMA position statements in animal welfare and in general
https://www.canadianveterinarians.net/policy-advocacy/statements

Also look at what ABVMA publishes and believe is important.
http://abvma.ca/content/91/PublicationsMagazine

When I interviewed they gave me a rank for 4 categories, the essay was my lowest ranking one - and it was all about large animals! They probably change it every year. But the interview focuses on specific things in each station. Like how you handle conflict with a co-worker (also an interview question I've gone through at WCVM).

This is all very, very good information, thank you so much!

Like the previous poster I don't have any large animal experience, so I'm definitely worried about that :/

Would any of you have tips on what to read for large animal information?

Thank you so much everyone, really look forward to meeting everyone! Nervous and excited at the same time :D

This is all very, very good information, thank you so much!

Like the previous poster I don't have any large animal experience, so I'm definitely worried about that :/

Would any of you have tips on what to read for large animal information?

Thank you so much everyone, really look forward to meeting everyone! Nervous and excited at the same time :D

Something that is important for a trade consideration is BSE. Look up the CFIA information on the case report they diagnosed Feb 15th in Alberta.

The biggest concern with BSE is if the US decided to close the borders to Canadian beef, being our biggest trading partner, and many of the live cattle are shipped there for slaughter.

COOL is also another issue, again with trade. It has to do with labeling.

News/media hype on hormone implants in beef cattle (A&W bringing in beef from Australia and not supporting Canadian beef producers has an impact on the industry - although beef has been doing much better than previous years).

If I think of anything else I'll post it!

But the interview questions won't be specific about large animals. Maybe you'll get one that pertains to LA.

There will probably be something about empathy and how you'd demonstrate that - will likely be a SA scenario, or possible companion horse. How you resolve conflict or work as a team/demonstrate leadership. Ethics will come up as mentioned by previous posters. How you communicate will probably be evaluated in each scenario.

Hope that helps! Good luck preparing!

If there was one thing that helped me - doing a workout in the morning to get rid of excess energy/stress!

That you so much for all the information. I have seen on other forums that out of 8 station there will be 1 hands on station. Can someone explain a bit more what a hand on station means?

Members don't see this ad :)
Something that is important for a trade consideration is BSE. Look up the CFIA information on the case report they diagnosed Feb 15th in Alberta.

The biggest concern with BSE is if the US decided to close the borders to Canadian beef, being our biggest trading partner, and many of the live cattle are shipped there for slaughter.

COOL is also another issue, again with trade. It has to do with labeling.

News/media hype on hormone implants in beef cattle (A&W bringing in beef from Australia and not supporting Canadian beef producers has an impact on the industry - although beef has been doing much better than previous years).

If I think of anything else I'll post it!

But the interview questions won't be specific about large animals. Maybe you'll get one that pertains to LA.

There will probably be something about empathy and how you'd demonstrate that - will likely be a SA scenario, or possible companion horse. How you resolve conflict or work as a team/demonstrate leadership. Ethics will come up as mentioned by previous posters. How you communicate will probably be evaluated in each scenario.

Hope that helps! Good luck preparing!

If there was one thing that helped me - doing a workout in the morning to get rid of excess energy/stress!

Thank you for all that information. Would you have any tips (or things to search for/save) on how to keep up with the current news? I have a bunch of websites and such saved, but they aren't really "news", more like in the format of journal articles or articles more suitable for current DVM students, such as Clinician's Brief and such.

Thank you once again for all your help!

That you so much for all the information. I have seen on other forums that out of 8 station there will be 1 hands on station. Can someone explain a bit more what a hand on station means?

I think it is to assess your eye-hand coordination. Maybe when you're under pressure you drop more things? Not exactly sure!

Thank you for all that information. Would you have any tips (or things to search for/save) on how to keep up with the current news? I have a bunch of websites and such saved, but they aren't really "news", more like in the format of journal articles or articles more suitable for current DVM students, such as Clinician's Brief and such.

Thank you once again for all your help!

I found with UCVM current news wasn't something that was asked. But for sure for WCVM.

I listened to CBC radio news. Or you can follow them on Twitter, see what's making headlines.

I'd like to add my congratulations and good luck to all of those interviewing this year! :)

The essay is my least favourite part also to be honest. It's in a room, not a gym or anything and it's maybe big enough for 50-80 people? Everyone gets a computer and you write for one hour. I believe it's 750 words, but for whatever reason I'm having a massive brain fart and can't completely remember. It's a stressful day haha. There are 8 stations for the MMI, 10 mins each so that's approx an hour and a half plus the small break in between the essay and interview (depending though, as you can write the essay first and then interview or vice versa) and then plus the hour for the essay so about 2.5 to 3 hours in total.

It's usually a relatively broad question. Focus on large animal stuff and/or reasons you want to go to UCVM.

> Bernard Rolland called Veterinary Medical Ethics.

Reading it as we sit! Its very helpful. Thanks for all your insight. Even just knowing the set up and procedure of the day takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process. The essay I think will be the hardest part in someways. 750 words isn't much, but I am worried it will be a topic I don't know much about.

Morning session of March 21st as well, eeek it's so early too

I'm in the morning session as well! Looking forward to seeing you all

> The essay I think will be the hardest part in someways. 750 words isn't much, but I am worried it will be a topic I don't know much about.

I agree, at least with the MMI you have eight different stations and essentially eight different chances to nail the questions. And the essay is worth a surprisingly high percentage of the final application, as much as your GPA in the past 4 terms and your references combined, just for one 750 word paper.

Congratulations on all of the UCVM interviews, guys! :)

Yes, congratulations on the UCVM interviews! Can't wait to hear how they go :) Good luck!

Another random thought!

www.wcabp.com
www.cabv.ca

I'll definitely be adding these to my bookmarks haha! For the MMI I think it's at least manageable, because you can definitely prepare by practicing with friends or even alone in front of a mirror (or parents), and the hard part is finding vet-specific MMI questions.

For the essay it's definitely a lot more daunting for me, I don't think I (or anyone else) is really a bad writer I mean since we all got this far, and 750 words isn't too bad when you're writing on adrenaline, but trying to answer a question that could be super open ended, or you might not have any idea or knowledge about, is super scary. For me I've just been paying attention to large animal news/production (food) health, and hoping my bet pays off haha!

Thanks again!!

I'll definitely be adding these to my bookmarks haha! For the MMI I think it's at least manageable, because you can definitely prepare by practicing with friends or even alone in front of a mirror (or parents), and the hard part is finding vet-specific MMI questions.

For the essay it's definitely a lot more daunting for me, I don't think I (or anyone else) is really a bad writer I mean since we all got this far, and 750 words isn't too bad when you're writing on adrenaline, but trying to answer a question that could be super open ended, or you might not have any idea or knowledge about, is super scary. For me I've just been paying attention to large animal news/production (food) health, and hoping my bet pays off haha!

Thanks again!!

I vaguely remember in addition to the laptop there was a pen and paper. So I jotted down a couple ideas to come up with an outline before starting. Not sure if that's the case for other years, but it was for when I went through.

I vaguely remember in addition to the laptop there was a pen and paper. So I jotted down a couple ideas to come up with an outline before starting. Not sure if that's the case for other years, but it was for when I went through.

Ooh, that's definitely helpful! Guess it's just the knowledge part I have to work on now for the next 3 weeks hahaha. Thank you once again for your help!!

Out of curiousity, have any of you applied internationally as well? Or would you consider going international if you didn't get into UCVM of WCVM this year?

Most of my family supports my plan to stay in Canada and continue applying to Canadian schools for at least a few years (I know it often takes multiple times to get accepted, and I really would prefer staying in Canada) but my mother in particular has really been pushing me to apply to Carribean schools as back up options.

Out of curiousity, have any of you applied internationally as well? Or would you consider going international if you didn't get into UCVM of WCVM this year?

Most of my family supports my plan to stay in Canada and continue applying to Canadian schools for at least a few years (I know it often takes multiple times to get accepted, and I really would prefer staying in Canada) but my mother in particular has really been pushing me to apply to Carribean schools as back up options.

Honestly, it's not really financially feasible for me to go to vet school internationally as much as I would love the opportunity to. That sort of debt would be too crippling to my family. That being said, this is my first time applying and I'm going to try absolutely everything I can to get into WCVM. Have you looked into any international schools? I've heard they are a bit easier to get into and you get to study at some beautiful schools!!

I haven't really done much research on them for exactly that reason, I don't want to graduate with loans so high I can't afford to live while trying to pay them back.

That being said, I've had other veterinary and medical students tell me going international the best decision they've ever made. A close friend of mine couldn't get into medical school here in Canada after applying for years, but was accepted to a Caribbean school and is now living his dream of becoming a doctor.

I guess as a last resort it's better than having to give up on your dream career. But man, like you said that amount of debt would really just be crippling. I still think I'd rather stick it out here applying for a couple years.

Do any of the first years have any good tips on how to structure the MMI responses??

> Bernard Rolland called Veterinary Medical Ethics. Reading it as we sit! Its very helpful. Thanks for all your insight. Even just knowing the set up and procedure of the day takes a lot of the guesswork out of the process. The essay I think will be the hardest part in someways. 750 words isn't much, but I am worried it will be a topic I don't know much about.
It's great right?? Some of them you have to take his answers with a grain of salt, but otherwise it's a great way to practice. Make sure for the essay that you just read general trends in large animal medicine. That'll give you enough help to answer the question thoroughly if it does pertain to large animal this year.

Out of curiousity, have any of you applied internationally as well? Or would you consider going international if you didn't get into UCVM of WCVM this year? Most of my family supports my plan to stay in Canada and continue applying to Canadian schools for at least a few years (I know it often takes multiple times to get accepted, and I really would prefer staying in Canada) but my mother in particular has really been pushing me to apply to Carribean schools as back up options.

I've actually been accepted to Ross University in St. Kitts in the Caribbean. This is my last go at trying to get into UCVM/WCVM. It's a pretty daunting amount of money to have to pay back, but luckily my parents are able to help me a bit with it and I figure that I'll waste more money over the next few years working my crappy paying TA job than just tossing in the towel and going there if that makes sense? One good thing about it is that the program is accelerated so you're done in 3.5 years instead of 4, but you only get 2 week breaks every 4 months, so it might be interesting. However, since you haven't applied a ton of times like me, I would suggest sticking it out here and trying to get into UCVM/WCVM a few more times before resorting to that because it is SO expensive.

I've actually been accepted to Ross University in St. Kitts in the Caribbean. This is my last go at trying to get into UCVM/WCVM. It's a pretty daunting amount of money to have to pay back, but luckily my parents are able to help me a bit with it and I figure that I'll waste more money over the next few years working my crappy paying TA job than just tossing in the towel and going there if that makes sense? One good thing about it is that the program is accelerated so you're done in 3.5 years instead of 4, but you only get 2 week breaks every 4 months, so it might be interesting. However, since you haven't applied a ton of times like me, I would suggest sticking it out here and trying to get into UCVM/WCVM a few more times before resorting to that because it is SO expensive.

The benefit of no long break is that you don't have a lot of time to forget things!! And in your clinical year you have to choose a Canadian/US school. We have a few Caribbean students in our 4th year.

I applied 7 times to WCVM and had 3 interviews with them.

That being said you could make it out 4 years earlier and starting paying of the debt earlier. It's a solid mortgage payment if you think about buying a house or buying an education.

Medical school however, they would be making more when they get out. If vets made more for starting wage then the financial situation wouldn't be so stressful.

Thanks!! Do you know when abouts WCVM sends out their second interview invites? My grades aren't stellar, so I'm not really holding my breath for a first round one.

Hey there! I'm a First Year student at WCVM who got in from the BC pool last year. I was a second rounder, so I got my invite May 14, and interviewed May 29th. I received acceptance June 4. So it's a long wait for second round but a short wait for final decision!

I also did three years at USask AgBio before vet school, so any questions anyone has about Stoon, interviews, or anything feel free to ask! :) good luck everyone!

The benefit of no long break is that you don't have a lot of time to forget things!! And in your clinical year you have to choose a Canadian/US school. We have a few Caribbean students in our 4th year. I applied 7 times to WCVM and had 3 interviews with them. That being said you could make it out 4 years earlier and starting paying of the debt earlier. It's a solid mortgage payment if you think about buying a house or buying an education. Medical school however, they would be making more when they get out. If vets made more for starting wage then the financial situation wouldn't be so stressful.
Wow that's incredible determination. Good for you. I'm way too impatient to wait that long. But either way, I'm going to vet school in September, I just don't know where yet! And that's the best feeling ever.

Hey there! I'm a First Year student at WCVM who got in from the BC pool last year. I was a second rounder, so I got my invite May 14, and interviewed May 29th. I received acceptance June 4. So it's a long wait for second round but a short wait for final decision!

I also did three years at USask AgBio before vet school, so any questions anyone has about Stoon, interviews, or anything feel free to ask! :) good luck everyone!

Thanks for the advice! Do you know if people who aren't in the running for a second interview get informed earlier? Or do rejections come out after second interview invites have been sent?

Wow that's incredible determination. Good for you. I'm way too impatient to wait that long. But either way, I'm going to vet school in September, I just don't know where yet! And that's the best feeling ever.

Oh for sure!! I would have taken whoever would take me!

Thanks for the advice! Do you know if people who aren't in the running for a second interview get informed earlier? Or do rejections come out after second interview invites have been sent?

No you don't get notified if you are out of the running after first round because things can change so much with second semester marks and things. I didn't get an interview my first attempt and I didn't get any communication until the portal updated to say that all final interview offers had been sent in May so I knew I didn't get one. Then you get a final rejection later with everyone else.

So if you don't get a first round don't give up hope. My marks weren't great so I had to jump way up the line with my interview score.

Good luck to everyone who has interviews coming up! Its definitely nerve wrecking but you can do it :) I will try my best to answer any questions you guys have about WCVM interviews (sorry I don't know anything about UCVM :( ) I was a BC candidate as well!

Thanks for the support everyone!

BTW, to people who got interviews for UCVM, did you get an email after you sent in your confirmation/acceptance of interview? I scanned the form, uploaded it and emailed it to the vet admissions email, but didn't get a reply so I was worried!

Thanks

Thanks for the support everyone! BTW, to people who got interviews for UCVM, did you get an email after you sent in your confirmation/acceptance of interview? I scanned the form, uploaded it and emailed it to the vet admissions email, but didn't get a reply so I was worried! Thanks
No you don't get a notification, unfortunately. It freaks me out every time too! Haha.

Thanks for the support everyone!

BTW, to people who got interviews for UCVM, did you get an email after you sent in your confirmation/acceptance of interview? I scanned the form, uploaded it and emailed it to the vet admissions email, but didn't get a reply so I was worried!

Thanks

Nope, nothing I was pretty freaked out too. I mean they must know how stressed we are...why not just take some of the pressure off?

Does anyone here have experience with relocating provinces? How soon after you moved were you allowed to apply as a resident of your new province? I just contacted WCVM and they said I would have to live in the new province for a whole year prior to the application to be qualified as a resident :(. Is that correct?

I believe every school is different. Don't quote me on this, but I think for UofC you have to live in Alberta for 12 consecutive months, in which you were not a post-secondary student.

For another school (or maybe it was another UofC thing) it was like 12 consecutive months in which you were not attending a post-secondary institution, or they could count 3 years worth of summer months if you were in that province for the whole duration (like 4 months of summer x 3 years would count towards your 12 months)

But please don't quote me on this, I'm pretty sure it's different for each school!

Does anyone here have experience with relocating provinces? How soon after you moved were you allowed to apply as a resident of your new province? I just contacted WCVM and they said I would have to live in the new province for a whole year prior to the application to be qualified as a resident :(. Is that correct?
Yes it is. Up until a few years WCVM allowed you to move to Sask/wherever in August and you could apply THAT year from the new province, as they let your 'one year' count as the year it took to apply. Now, you have to live in a province for a whole year BEFORE the Dec 1 deadline before you can apply as a resident of a new province.

Tentative dates for the interviews are up for my WCVM online application - but no offers just yet (mid-late March)

yah, from reading last years forum looks like they went out starting on the seventh and then they continued to send them out over a period of like a week, although it seems to change every year.

Not nearly as nervous as I was waiting for UCVM as I know if I get any interview at WCVM it'll be a second round. Let the waiting until May commence haha

How's everyone preparing? The day's creeping closer and closer!