We need to stop producing so many Pharmacists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ffpickle

Thread Killer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to the AACP, we pumped out almost 10 000 new graduates in 2007. I'm aware of the statistic that there will be a shortage of 243 000 pharmacists in the next 10 years. Still, isn't it in the self-interest of pharmacists to work to limit the number of new pharmacy schools opening everywhere and new graduates flooding the market?

Members don't see this ad.

According to the AACP, we pumped out almost 10 000 new graduates in 2007. I'm aware of the statistic that there will be a shortage of 243 000 pharmacists in the next 10 years. Still, isn't it in the self-interest of pharmacists to work to limit the number of new pharmacy schools opening everywhere and new graduates flooding the market?

Unfortunately, pharmacists have no control over that. In fact, it is in the best interests of the schools to continue to produce as many new pharmacists as they possibly can. So I doubt you will see fewer pharmacists graduating.

Members don't see this ad :)

So you wanna make it harder than it already is to get into pharmacy school?

So you wanna make it harder than it already is to get into pharmacy school?

If the OP is already in pharm school then the answer will be yes. ;)

Unfortunately, pharmacists have no control over that. In fact, it is in the best interests of the schools to continue to produce as many new pharmacists as they possibly can. So I doubt you will see fewer pharmacists graduating.

true, the schools only care about the tuition dollars they are making a year...the more graduates the more money...they do not care that there is already a surplus...:rolleyes: Capitalism at its best.

Are you that insecure about your job performance in the future, that you feel compelled to stop new schools from being established because you're concerned about others competing for your job? :laugh:

Go see your doctor and ask if chill pills are right for you.

Last edited:
Sounds like someone is scared to move away from the urban areas to the suburbs or rural areas where people are in desperate needs of doctors. Want job security? Move to places where population growth is increasing heavily in the next few years, for example, the northern part of North Carolina or any rural area in the U.S.

Then don't go to pharmacy school. Problem solved.

or any rural area in the U.S.

oh hell no

but seriously, focus on finding new avenues for pharmacists to practice rather than making admissions standards arbitrarily more strict. Look at happened to MD's, where stagnant residency slots essentially control the flow of physicians. As the shortage of family practitioners got worse, mid-levels (PA's, NP's) came into fill the gap. Physicians lost a lot of money/power in the process.

Today I was told that UPenn, since USP doesn't want to be bought out, is building its own pharmacy school...That'll be 4 schools in Philly. This better happen after I graduate or else they'll steal even more of our professors.

I don't know what should be done, maybe make the accreditation process stricter, but there sure are way too many pharmacy schools popping up. I am not at all suggesting that the process of becoming a pharmacist should be stricter.

oh hell no
... further explanation?

Not meaning that all of the rural areas in the US are increasing as fast as the other place I mentioned... move away from urban area if you want job security "overall", and thats pretty much standard in every health care profession out there today... specially pharmacy and dentistry

I'm almost certain that I am going to either move further out into Long Island or to the Poconos in Pennsylvania when I'm done.

Oh yeah, for the guy who said that UPenn will provide the 4th pharmacy school in PA, doesn't Wilkes have a PharmD program along with a school in Pittsburgh.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm almost certain that I am going to either move further out into Long Island or to the Poconos in Pennsylvania when I'm done.

Oh yeah, for the guy who said that UPenn will provide the 4th pharmacy school in PA, doesn't Wilkes have a PharmD program along with a school in Pittsburgh.

Yep, plus LECOM in Erie and Dusquesne also in Pittsburgh. Another school in Philly would make a total of EIGHT schools in Pennsylvania.

West PA is practically a different country compared to Philly.

But as for the rural question earlier, I'm just stating a personal preference. But yes, there'll always be a demand for anything in rural areas. Even regular people are in demand.

oh hell no

but seriously, focus on finding new avenues for pharmacists to practice rather than making admissions standards arbitrarily more strict. Look at happened to MD's, where stagnant residency slots essentially control the flow of physicians. As the shortage of family practitioners got worse, mid-levels (PA's, NP's) came into fill the gap. Physicians lost a lot of money/power in the process.

A shortage is always good. A surplus is always bad. (unless its a surplus in money ;))The end.

Last edited:
Very true..

West PA is practically a different country compared to Philly.

But as for the rural question earlier, I'm just stating a personal preference. But yes, there'll always be a demand for anything in rural areas. Even regular people are in demand.

Why don't they open up a school in Alaska instead of places that are already crowded with pharmacy schools, like Philly? I just feel like opening up one too many schools will drown out the prestige of becoming a pharmacist and it will open the doors for the hoards of mediocre students to enter the program. Maybe I'm just biased but I've crossed paths with too many pharm-hopefuls who I hope never even come close to sniffing the air at a pharmacy school.

"Oh you got into pharmacy school? Big deal, my buddy got in with his 2.2 GPA." :eek:

Today I was told that UPenn, since USP doesn't want to be bought out, is building its own pharmacy school...That'll be 4 schools in Philly. This better happen after I graduate or else they'll steal even more of our professors.

I don't know what should be done, maybe make the accreditation process stricter, but there sure are way too many pharmacy schools popping up. I am not at all suggesting that the process of becoming a pharmacist should be stricter.

It'll be the second ivy league school to create a pharmacy school! Columbia closed its doors sometime 40 years ago I think. I'm surprised that a lot of prestigious medical institutions haven't created their own pharmacy schools.

Its actually good to see prestigious schools like UPenn to consider having a pharmacy school because its shows how Pharmacy is becoming more of a respected profession to get into now.

I have always considered pharmacy to be a profession with a higher-than-average respect level. :shrug: Not on par with, say, a doctor, but more than like an average business man.

I guess it is a good thing that I want to live in a rural area. For me, having a nice independent store in a little town in Mississippi is pretty much my dream. I wouldn't be opposed to going somewhere such as Alaska either.

Remember, rural has its pros as well as cons. Low cost of living, no city noise, no traffic, etc.

I said the 4th in Philly, not the 4th in PA (USP, Temple, Jeff, UPenn).

I mean it is good in a sense, but I'm being selfish and don't want any more of our professors leaving to other schools.

If Penn had a pharmacy school when I applied and if I got accepted, I'd certainly go if it ended up not terribly expensive.

oh hell no

Agreed. Demand for pharmacists is going to be met one way or another. Better to see it met with pharmacists rather than legislation that allows some less-educated bunch to dispense and fill the void. There are still many more well qualified applicants to pharm school than there are seats, so the overall quality of new pharmacists need not suffer.

let me correct myself...the residency slot stagnation occurred with anesthesiology, thus the proliferation of AA's and anesthesio nurses.

The issue with family prac is it's not as lucrative as other areas of medicine.

Its actually good to see prestigious schools like UPenn to consider having a pharmacy school because its shows how Pharmacy is becoming more of a respected profession to get into now.

I agree and maybe Columbia could bring back theirs too. An Ivy would be the only good reason for yet another pharmacy program in this country. Anyone have a news link to UPenn's new school? I'm interested to see when it would open (of course, too far in the future for myself).

STOP WORRYING! You people are being completely subjective and offer no evidence. You base ur opinions off ur experiences and "New Schools".

New Schools are being built in RESPONSE TO THE SHORTAGE! They need new schools to produce more pharmacists cause of the shortages.

Also, you people who dont believe in the shortage dont give no EVIDENCE. There is a shortage and here is evidence as recent as 2008.

http://www.pbs.org/nbr/site/onair/transcripts/080327c/

STOP WORRYING! You people are being completely subjective and offer no evidence. You base ur opinions off ur experiences and "New Schools".

New Schools are being built in RESPONSE TO THE SHORTAGE! They need new schools to produce more pharmacists cause of the shortages.

Also, you people who dont believe in the shortage dont give no EVIDENCE. There is a shortage and here is evidence as recent as 2008.

http://www.pbs.org/nbr/site/onair/transcripts/080327c/

Haha...your article is out of date and was refuted in the pharmacy forum by active professionals who actually do hiring.

Granted, the sky isn't falling....but this gravy train/super job security everyone seems delusional about isn't going to be the case for that much longer. Granted, you WILL get a job....if you move to the midwest!

Haha...your article is out of date and was refuted in the pharmacy forum by active professionals who actually do hiring.

Granted, the sky isn't falling....but this gravy train/super job security everyone seems delusional about isn't going to be the case for that much longer. Granted, you WILL get a job....if you move to the midwest!

So it was refuted by a few individuals who do hiring on a small scale. That is hardly a basis for calling this article inaccurate. As for being out of date, well sure it wasn't published yesterday but a year is not out of date. Pardon me if I don't worry about job security because a few people on an internet forum are under the impression that our profession will somehow become either obsolete or overcrowded within the next few years. In our country, the birth rate is greater than the death rate. That means more people. More people means more need for medical professionals, including pharmacists.

I agree with THE MTL and ValeUC. To all that feel there is no shortage can you please provide proof. Even if the articles that show the evidence of the shortage are 1-5 years old, I have not seen one article saying there is or will be a surplus of Pharmacist in the next decade.

The West Chase area in Florida is under great development (Retail stores are poping up every where and housing developments are being built that will double the number of houses from 2008) and there is a lot of money going around so as a nation we must not be in a recession.

Also if you provide evidence that there is a surplus by quoting a friend or pharmacist you know. I know an astronomer that states a 10th planet is going to hit earth in 2012 so do not even worry about applying to pharmacy school, after 2012 it will not exist, according to him

alright well suit yourself.

facts:
1) bonuses for desirable areas are fast disappearing in retail settings
2) a reeedic # of schols have opened in the past 5 years
3) H1-B visas are being issued at a brisk pace
4) pressure from third party payors are putting pressure on prices and encouraging people to go mail order (more efficient = fewer pharmacists needed).

you can do worse... like going into law at a 3rd tier school. will you all have jobs upon graduation? most likely. but if you're a 2.0 pharmd graduate with no comm. skills and you expect to find a non-floating retail job in San Diego, California....good luck to you.

...but if you're willing to work in the ghettos and barrios of east LA? hired!

undesirable places will always have a shortage, if that's what you're all talking about; skilled professionals will always be in demand. If you're a great travel or real estate agent, you're probably still in business. You know that idiot pharmacist who's slow and can't talk straight that you've worked with once or twice? They'll have issues in 5-7 years whereas no retail chain would've given thought to letting someone go except in cases of misconduct.

my argument is...jobs/money won't just fall into your lap when you graduate (the way things have been the past 8-10 years), you might actually have to work for it like everyone else. I make a distinction between a "shortage" and "tight supply" btw

Last edited:

I would say that it is in the self-interest of pharmacist to prevent new pharmacy schools from opening up as rapidly as they have in the last dacade or so. But, with that being said... there is one thing good about the new pharmacy schools opening, and that is competition. What better than a Darwinian incentive to survive and thrive is there than having to compete with others. I think has and will ultimately open up new niches for pharmacy as is the current trend which is leaning towards clinical.

With that being said... I think...

One should increase the admissions requirements, to get more qualified applicants to reflect the more clinical nature of pharmacy as it shifts from retail. ****I believe retail will change in the next decade or so (don't ask me how)

We definitely need more pharmacist in the present in localized (rural) areas across the country and therefore schools (new one's) should be built in those areas since it has been shown with other professions that alot of the professionals who graduate from a certain area do tend to end up in that area. ****However, you must be aware that in a little more than a decade or two, there will be a relative surplus as production ability which exceeds future need would have caught up with that need. In that case... you either close schools down or pharmacy will become something much like a J.D (a dime a dozen).

these are my $0.02, take it or leave it

Well lets get one thing straight here - any job in a beautiful place like sunny California or Florida is going to be hard to come by, even for health professionals. It's the same for ANY profession, not just us. Computer programmer? I doubt San Diego is a great place to look for a job.

I would say that it is in the self-interest of pharmacist to prevent new pharmacy schools from opening up as rapidly as they have in the last dacade or so. But, with that being said... there is one thing good about the new pharmacy schools opening, and that is competition. What better than a Darwinian incentive to survive and thrive is there than having to compete with others. I think has and will ultimately open up new niches for pharmacy as is the current trend which is leaning towards clinical.

With that being said... I think...

One should increase the admissions requirements, to get more qualified applicants to reflect the more clinical nature of pharmacy as it shifts from retail. ****I believe retail will change in the next decade or so (don't ask me how)

We definitely need more pharmacist in the present in localized (rural) areas across the country and therefore schools (new one's) should be built in those areas since it has been shown with other professions that alot of the professionals who graduate from a certain area do tend to end up in that area. ****However, you must be aware that in a little more than a decade or two, there will be a relative surplus as production ability which exceeds future need would have caught up with that need. In that case... you either close schools down or pharmacy will become something much like a J.D (a dime a dozen).

these are my $0.02, take it or leave it

Agreed. As more schools become established, admissions should become more competitive. ie. Requiring a bachelors degree and mandating the PCATs. Having a BA/BS along with a PharmD, in general, will make someone more marketable when looking for jobs after school and they can pursue higher degrees like a PhD or a MpH.

Well lets get one thing straight here - any job in a beautiful place like sunny California or Florida is going to be hard to come by, even for health professionals. It's the same for ANY profession, not just us. Computer programmer? I doubt San Diego is a great place to look for a job.
That's not necessarily true. Retail and hospital pharmacies are everywhere because they're needed by the community but there is no need for big companies to exist in rural cities. The only incentive for a big company to move to a rural city is to save on operating costs but they're accepting that privilege in exchange for future staffing problems. If a company has its headquarter in a rural city, it is most likely a plant designated for less skilled labor, such as manufacturing.

Would urban cities with sizable business districts have less computer programming jobs than rural cities? Somehow, I don't buy that argument.

PCAT is a joke. I foresee its revision within the next 5 years. Anyone with half a brain can score decently on that horrible excuse for a test. Bring it in line with the MCAT.

PCAT is a joke. I foresee its revision within the next 5 years. Anyone with half a brain can score decently on that horrible excuse for a test. Bring it in line with the MCAT.

I agree that the exam is flawed, but not exactly for the same reasons or you. Or perhaps they are the same, but you just didn't state them here. The PCAT is not a reasoning exam, it just tests how much random information you can remember in the past few years. It's a speed test too. I really don't think that's fair for a lot of people.

When did you take the PCAT? It must of have gotten a lot more diffcult since you took the exam...I read the Kaplan book and can't get a 90 composite on the Pearson practice exams...:( (always in the 80s range...) so I guess either the exam has gotten harder or I have gotten a lot dumber since undergrad...:rolleyes:

UPenn is good, but some of the new schools will make the profession much LESS respected.

Look at this page and tell me what doesn't belong....
http://www.sullivan.edu/

This looks like one of the scam schools you see during the Judge Judy commercial break, like ITT tech, Phoenix, Devry, etc...
Professional nanny, pharmacy tech, baking, catering, hotel management, Medical assistant, office technology, and DOCTOR of Pharmacy?!?!?? Great way to earn respect for the profession and the degree. They offer most of their courses online, most of the programs are 9,12,18 months long. The pharmacy school is a 3 year accelerated program and they don't go to class on Friday. This is not the way to gain respect for the pharmd.

I just produced a pharmacist. It was rough around the edges...I should've had more fiber.

and what this person said...

Are you that insecure about your job performance in the future, that you feel compelled to stop new schools from being established because you're concerned about others competing for your job? :laugh:

Go see your doctor and ask if chill pills are right for you.

Please show me an article that says there will be a surplus, if you can find one which i HIGHLY doubt; then I will show you ten articles that say there is a shortage.

Listen, I have friends who are 6th year Pharm students at Rutgers now. This one guy signed with CVS in OCTOBER when he graduates in APRIL! My other friend has three job offers and he hasnt even graduated yet.

Listen this person answers his/her own question and many you guys on the forum. We pumped out 10,000 new grads which is alot; however the shortage predicted over the next ten years is 243,000. Well in order to fill the 243,000 jobs with an average rate of 10,000 grads per year, WOULDNT THAT BE over 24 years.

And for all you smart people who say well there will be more grads with more pharmacy schools. Ok, if we DOUBLE and yes I said DOUBLE the amount of graduates to 20,000 grads per year. It would still be OVER 12 years when the shortage is predicted over the next ten years! (And trust me that number wont double!)

THINK!

Last edited:
UPenn is good, but some of the new schools will make the profession much LESS respected.

This looks like one of the scam schools you see during the Judge Judy commercial break, like ITT tech, Phoenix, Devry, etc...
Professional nanny, pharmacy tech, baking, catering, hotel management, Medical assistant, office technology, and DOCTOR of Pharmacy?!?!?? Great way to earn respect for the profession and the degree. They offer most of their courses online, most of the programs are 9,12,18 months long. The pharmacy school is a 3 year accelerated program and they don't go to class on Friday. This is not the way to gain respect for the pharmd.

What absolutely awful marketing... the doctor of pharmacy program is right next to medical assistant?

"The Sullivan University College of Pharmacy principles are Education, Community, Commitment, and Care (EC3)."

"promises made...promises kept"

What absolutely awful marketing... the doctor of pharmacy program is right next to medical assistant?

"The Sullivan University College of Pharmacy principles are Education, Community, Commitment, and Care (EC3)."

"promises made...promises kept"

"You got the money, we got the time"

The director of nutritional services at my hospital says that Sullivan's culinary school is one of the top 3 schools in the nation. This tells me that they strive to be the best at what they do. They also were invited to cook at the olympics. You've got to be doing something right to do that.

I interviewed there this past week and I can tell you that they are somewhat distancing themselves from the less traditional collegiate programs that they do offer. They just built a new $11 million building for their college of pharmacy and it is not built with the colonial architecture that the main campus is as well as most of Louisville. It is also a full block away from the main campus.

They are trying hard to the best school they can be. They started by hiring Dr. Hieu Tran as their Dean. This is the 3rd pharmacy program Dr. Tran has had a hand in starting from the ground up. The rest of their faculty all have excellent resumes with vast experiences.

As far as the "they don't go to school on Friday" comment. So you looked at the surface and saw that their academic schedule does not show "classes" on Fridays. You would be correct, but they do go to school. They have Professional Fridays at Sullivan, where attendance is recorded. A few of the examples of what they can do on Fridays...
􀂃 IPPE/APPE orientations
􀂃 Make-up lectures due to weather, faculty illness, etc.
􀂃 Course projects
􀂃 Research course presentations
􀂃 Professional seminars on different types of pharmacy practice
􀂃 Student organization activities
􀂃 Student remediation
􀂃 Working on student projects or participating in study groups
􀂃 Professional Electives
􀂃 Service Learning Projects (Community outreach activities)

They also have a dress code which requires their students to look like professionals:
For Ladies
• Conservative blouses or sweaters
• Skirts not more than two (2) inches above the knee or pants
• Professional dresses or pant suits
• Dress shoes (hose are optional)
• Flats are acceptable; sneakers, flip flops, casual sandals or slippers are not acceptable.

For Men
• Dress shirts, slacks and ties
• Sport coats and blazers are optional
• Dress shoes and socks
• Sneakers, flip flops, casual sandals or slippers are not acceptable
• Wearing a tie is required during all laboratory periods

Clothes should be clean and pressed
Shirts and blouses with tails must be worn inside pants, trousers or skirts
Slacks and shirts, blouses or sweaters should coordinate
Jeans of any type are unacceptable

Also, the average GPA for their first class is 3.3. Anyone can tell you that number is quite high for a first class.

You can't judge a book by its cover. They are making all the right moves to be a well respected institution for their pharmacy program.

Please show me an article that says there will be a surplus, if you can find one which i HIGHLY doubt; then I will show you ten articles that say there is a shortage.

Listen, I have friends who are 6th year Pharm students at Rutgers now. This one guy signed with CVS in OCTOBER when he graduates in APRIL! My other friend has three job offers and he hasnt even graduated yet.

Signing on with a company is not indicative of a shortage or a surplus. Alot of graduates from different universities and colleges get placed in a job before they graduate. Does that mean there is a shortage?

You can't judge a book by its cover. They are making all the right moves to be a well respected institution for their pharmacy program.
That is good to hear, they sound like they will create a good program and produce some respectable professionals. Lets hope other new programs strive to have such high standards.

Their school/campus looks pretty good to me.

Listen all you young cats worried about your jobs, go to the Pharmacist forums where the people who are in the field right now are discussing the situation. They actually know what is going on and aren't just running their mouths out of fear.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=594499

P.S: hiring freezes in areas do not = a surplus in jobs. its called a RECESSION for a reason. Stop crying about surpluses in the field and put in work in the profession and prove your value in this world.

The answer to all your debate and question lie below.

proof

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/03/business/03interview.html?_r=1&scp=2&sq=hiring in pharmacy&st=cse

more proof

http://www.projo.com/business/content/jo_pharmacies16_12-14-08_URC87EL_v9.14fcae3.html

proof

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/2008-11-06/health-system-hiring-freeze

proof

http://www.pharmacychoice.com/News/article.cfm?Article_ID=246295

In conclusion, it is a bad economy, not a bad profession. Stop with the fear tactics and continue to pursue pharmacy.

I could do this all day. Don't try to scare people out of the field, present the facts truthfully and move to improve the situation.