We Were All Wrong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rude awakening? We’re already there, sadly. At least your mid levels have some basic training.

Technician training and requirements are all over the map and most are not the people I would trust to immunize my family.
Honestly, NP programs are like that. There are diploma mills where you can do the whole thing online and come out diagnosing and prescribing. What a clown society we are living in these days.

Members don't see this ad.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Ironic. All this in the name of making healthcare more affordable and lowering costs. Maybe the cost hasn't gone up as much but the quality of care has definitely gone down overall.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly, NP programs are like that. There are diploma mills where you can do the whole thing online and come out diagnosing and prescribing. What a clown society we are living in these days.
this is so true - I swear over half the RN's I work with are getting their NP - some will be good, some makes it sound like a disaster

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Rude awakening? We’re already there, sadly. At least your mid levels have some basic training.

Technician training and requirements are all over the map and most are not the people I would trust to immunize my family.
I'd let 'em stick me. As long as you have the right size needle it's basically idiot proof.

Looks like technicians will be able to administer COVID vaccine in Wisconsin.

"A new variance relating to vaccine administration has been granted as of December 16, 2020.

The Board determined that the requirements of Wis. Stat. § 450.02(3m)(a) have been met to vary requirements set forth in Wis. Stat. § 450.035(2m) and Wis. Admin. Code § Phar 7.015(3) to allow pharmacists to delegate the administration of vaccines to persons engaged in the practice of pharmacy under § 450.03(1)(i), commonly referred to as pharmacy technicians. "

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t wanna be seen by PA/ NP if I think something is serious.. Unfortunately it has come to the point where patients don’t really have much choice left. Physician only practices are slowly disappearing (by their own doing by employing mid-levels).

Reactions: 2 users
You clearly haven’t met the techs at my last job.😅
Yeah...I laugh out loud picturing some of the Asperger afflicted techs I've worked with over the years. How can you give a vaccine when you have your eyes on your shoes and are too socially inept to look at the "target"?

I wouldn’t wanna be seen by PA/ NP if I think something is serious.. Unfortunately it has come to the point where patients don’t really have much choice left. Physician only practices are slowly disappearing (by their own doing by employing mid-levels).

I went to a minute clinic once for a cut inside my mouth from not wearing a mouth guard. The NP opened up her binder to figure out what to prescribe. Didn't seem too confident.

• Wow
Has anyone else received bull**** texts from a company called Snapnurse offering $180/hr for travelling immunizer positions? I applied but never got a call back.

Sounds like a great opportunity for an unemployed pharmacist!

Can't they just hire a nurse to do it for $40/hr?

Traveling nurses make WAY more than $40/hr ($180/hr sounds like a lot, but probably they are including traveling expenses and hotel in that total.)

Lmao...wow. Technicians are able to immunize now? That is crazy. I just stumbled on this post. If it's anything like the mid level creep in medicine, you guys are in for a rude awakening. It won't just stop at immunization. Let's just hope that pharmacy technicians are not as eager to expand scope at 12$/hr.

Federal guidelines say pharm techs can give the COVID vaccine. Pharm techs are licensed at the state level (at least in states where they are licensed), so they still have to do what the states say, but my assumption is most states will follow the federal guidelines and allow pharmacy techs to immunize. But yes, Pharm techs scope of practice has been slowly, but steadily expanding.

this is so true - I swear over half the RN's I work with are getting their NP - some will be good, some makes it sound like a disaster

This. Back in the day, NP's had to have something like 5 years RN experience, and most of them had way more than that--and usually in areas such as critical care where they had seen everything. The idea was the classroom would build on the practical knowledge they already had. Today, BSN's go straight to NP school without ever working as an actual RN. And RN's who work in low acuity areas are getting their NP. In fact, I think it is rare to find the RN who isn't taking classes to be an NP, or at least talking about taking classes to be an NP. NP's are going to be so saturated in a few years.

Bottom line, older NP's were better educated and better experienced. Some newer NP's are at that level, but most aren't, and it really shows in a scary way.

Traveling nurses make WAY more than $40/hr ($180/hr sounds like a lot, but probably they are including traveling expenses and hotel in that total.)

Why can't they hire local RNs? Or have the NPs in the minute clinic do them?

Why can't they hire local RNs? Or have the NPs in the minute clinic do them?
Nurses are making bank working other jobs. Google some the hiring positions....CRAZY GOING ON OUT THERE

But don't worry, techs are going to be doing everything soon or already are. Tech-chech-tech, MTM, vaccines and in a couple years the BOP will let them have provider status. I wish I could say I was joking about the last one but I think the joke is on the "profession of pharmacy"

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Nurses are making bank working other jobs. Google some the hiring positions....CRAZY GOING ON OUT THERE

But don't worry, techs are going to be doing everything soon or already are. Tech-chech-tech, MTM, vaccines and in a couple years the BOP will let them have provider status. I wish I could say I was joking about the last one but I think the joke is on the "profession of pharmacy"

After all these decades of pharmacy schools selling the provide status lie, how funny will it be when techs get provider status and pharmacists don't!

They've destroyed working conditions in pharmacy and now they get to claim they can't find pharmacists who want to work for $35/hr so they need to expand technician duties. Spending four years stuffing drug knowledge into people's head so they can act as a walking encyclopedia is starting to seem very antiquated to me. If the only unique ability of pharmacists is to act as a walking drug info library then why not replace them with techs or nurses augmented with software? It's odd how you don't hear academia discuss that the PharmD could very well be obsolete or a niche degree in 10 to 15 years. Since it's so screamingly obvious to me I suspect those discussions are going on in private.

Last edited:
They've destroyed working conditions in pharmacy and now they get to claim they can't find pharmacists who want to work for $35/hr so they need to expand technician duties. Spending four years stuffing drug knowledge into people's head so they can act as a walking encyclopedia is starting to seem very antiquated to me. If the only unique ability of pharmacists is to act as a walking drug info library then why not replace them with techs or nurses augmented with software? It's odd how you don't hear academia discuss that the PharmD could very well be obsolete or a niche degree in 10 to 15 years. Since it's so screamingly obvious to me I suspect those discussions are going on in private.

They know. That is why stand-alone pharmacy schools like STLCOP have started offering several other non Pharm-D degrees.