USMLE Weak Background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superbat85

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone,
during my time in medical school, I used guides to help me through. I felt the guides went well with the material that I was being tested on better than the books, I had noticed better grades but now I am really weak in basic sciences. In the sense that I can diagnose and treat the problem but not really understand the disease or the treatment just know that the treatment corresponds with what I think the diagnosis is. I am thinking of the taking usmle but am aware that I need to strengthen (hardcore) my studying, would it be best to take time off and dedicate reading the basic books like robbins, guyton etc etc? use kaplan videos/books? what do you guys think will be the best way to approach this exam? The timeframe is 1 year with about 8 hours of studying, any recommendations will be appreciated,
thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,
during my time in medical school, I used guides to help me through. I felt the guides went well with the material that I was being tested on better than the books, I had noticed better grades but now I am really weak in basic sciences. In the sense that I can diagnose and treat the problem but not really understand the disease or the treatment just know that the treatment corresponds with what I think the diagnosis is. I am thinking of the taking usmle but am aware that I need to strengthen (hardcore) my studying, would it be best to take time off and dedicate reading the basic books like robbins, guyton etc etc? use kaplan videos/books? what do you guys think will be the best way to approach this exam? The timeframe is 1 year with about 8 hours of studying, any recommendations will be appreciated,
thanks guys
UW, FA, Pathoma, BRS Physio, and Sketchy Micro. Just get them all and do them to death.

Mad Jack's recipe will work great for someone with a decent background knowledge but IMHO will not work for someone with a weak background as Conrad Fischer famously said "you can't review what you never knew".
I suggest starting with resource which covers basics more thoroughly like Kaplan or my personal favorite- Becker eCoach.

Mad Jack's recipe will work great for someone with a decent background knowledge but IMHO will not work for someone with a weak background as Conrad Fischer famously said "you can't review what you never knew".
I suggest starting with resource which covers basics more thoroughly like Kaplan or my personal favorite- Becker eCoach.
Doctors in Training is also excellent if you can afford/get ahold of it.