Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Hello.
It's my EC schedule for the next 3 years.
I want to hear your input on this plan..

Sophomore-
Volunteer at elementary school (started today, going to get a call back within 1-2 weeks)

As a CC student, I will transfer next year (17-18). Thus, I did not want to do any volunteer work at a clinic or hospital and leave within a year.

Junior-
Start clinical volunteering
Shadow a DO

Keep volunteering at the same elementary school, if and only if I transfer to UCLA or USC.

Senior-

Keep clinical volunteering
Shadow a DO and MD

I will apply after graduation, so I have Senior year to increase clinical experience and shadowing hours.

Not sure how many hours I will have, but I plan on fulfilling at least 100 hours on each.
100+ hours of elementary school volunteer
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
100+ hours of shadow experience (on DO doctors)

How do you guys think? Is this too weak?
Any comments will be appreciated :D

pstrick

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2015
It's not all that varied. Looks like you only have clinical volunteering any some school volunteering.
Noble efforts, but only having 3 activities on your app isn't impressive.

You have 2-3 years. Join some clubs and get some hobbies.
Get a job. Any job will do.

Reactions: Geo16
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
get some hobbies.
I do have a hobby.
It is computer building.
It is my hobby to buy CPUs and overclock them via BCLK.
It's very extensive. I used to buy old Westmere in 8-10 pack and overclock them to their full potential :)

And also, joining a club sounds like a great idea. I will keep that in mind.
I will look for clubs right away :)

About the Ads
Dec 10, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Hello.
It's my EC schedule for the next 3 years.
I want to hear your input on this plan..

Sophomore-
Volunteer at elementary school (started today, going to get a call back within 1-2 weeks)

As a CC student, I will transfer next year (17-18). Thus, I did not want to do any volunteer work at a clinic or hospital and leave within a year.

Junior-
Start clinical volunteering
Shadow a DO

Keep volunteering at the same elementary school, if and only if I transfer to UCLA or USC.

Senior-

Keep clinical volunteering
Shadow a DO and MD

I will apply after graduation, so I have Senior year to increase clinical experience and shadowing hours.

Not sure how many hours I will have, but I plan on fulfilling at least 100 hours on each.
100+ hours of elementary school volunteer
100+ hours of clinical volunteering
100+ hours of shadow experience (on DO doctors)

How do you guys think? Is this too weak?
Any comments will be appreciated :D
I like the elementary school volunteering. I won't say volunteering at a hospital is bad, but it is kind of "bleh" IMO. You could also consider hospice for clinical volunteering or something more meaningful. Try to think outside the box so you can set yourself apart from others (is there anyway you can combine your hobby of building computers with volunteer efforts?).

Just my $0.02.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I think that you'll be OK.

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I like the elementary school volunteering. I won't say volunteering at a hospital is bad, but it is kind of "bleh" IMO. You could also consider hospice for clinical volunteering or something more meaningful. Try to think outside the box so you can set yourself apart from others (is there anyway you can combine your hobby of building computers with volunteer efforts?).

Just my $0.02.
Yeap, I can find a way to combine them. There should be a chance to combine them meanwhile volunteering at the hospital or at the elementary school.

I think that you'll be OK.
So just three (plus hobby) would be fine? No clubs? :)

lnguyen1412

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Yeap, I can find a way to combine them. There should be a chance to combine them meanwhile volunteering at the hospital or at the elementary school.

This is what I have:
120 hours of clinical volunteer
120 hours of shadowing

The rest was thousand hours of employment.

I believe any activities that can show you can commit into services.

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I believe any activities that can show you can commit into services.
But, you had thousands of hours of employment!
That's an extremely impressive EC.
But I see your point :)

Also, you got accepted. That proves you a point (hehe)

Last edited:
Reactions: lnguyen1412

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I tend to ignore club involvement. I prefer service to others, especially those less fortunate than yourself. You need to show off your altruism.

Aug 23, 2016
Status
Non-Student
I would argue that also doing research would benefit your application greatly. Once you transfer try to get involved in some ongoing research project. Or see if a prof at your current JC is doing something and is willing to take you on for a year. Apply for summer research internships. The more you apply to the better chance you have of getting into one.

Volunteering for an elementary school is great, don't get me wrong! But I urge you to volunteer in something science-related to help the greater good! For example, during my last 2 years of undergrad I worked with high school students in underserved and low-income areas. The goal of the program was to get more high school graduates into stem majors. In that time frame we raised the percent of students entering college as stem majors from 12% to 37%. This program data is from the 6 school districts we worked in. I received great fulfillment from it as I knew I was helping these students and existentially, helping others.

Make sure too keep up your GPA 3.5+
That is key! But overall I think your shadowing experience will serve you well and you will gain much out of it :)

Good Luck!!!!

OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I tend to ignore club involvement. I prefer service to others, especially those less fortunate than yourself. You need to show off your altruism.
Got it, it's all about humanity and altruism. I will do my best to prove and show it!
This is so clear and concise. Thank you, I will work my best here and prove that I care a lot about URM and low-income families.

Some people say that where I live is among the low-income community (near downtown LA, kind of near USC) and I'm volunteering right outside where I live.

I would argue that also doing research would benefit your application greatly. Once you transfer try to get involved in some ongoing research project. Or see if a prof at your current JC is doing something and is willing to take you on for a year. Apply for summer research internships. The more you apply to the better chance you have of getting into one.

Volunteering for an elementary school is great, don't get me wrong! But I urge you to volunteer in something science-related to help the greater good! For example, during my last 2 years of undergrad I worked with high school students in underserved and low-income areas. The goal of the program was to get more high school graduates into stem majors. In that time frame we raised the percent of students entering college as stem majors from 12% to 37%. This program data is from the 6 school districts we worked in. I received great fulfillment from it as I knew I was helping these students and existentially, helping others.

Make sure too keep up your GPA 3.5+
That is key! But overall I think your shadowing experience will serve you well and you will gain much out of it :)

Good Luck!!!!
Yeah, I inquired to my Geology professor here about club involvement and after that, do a little bit of research with him together. But I think it would be best if I do the research after I transfer. It's hard to get that opportunity here. Especially science professors are busy trying to teach 200 + students the same course two times a day, four days a week. They can't really manage that much of personal assistance.

My GPA.. thanks to Physical Geography, Biological Anthropology(Physical Anthropology), and Geology, my sGPA is boosted (all As).

I will post WAMC in 2019. Or report progress here whenever I get a chance :)

Thank you!

Reactions: Goro
OP
Geo16

Geo16

2+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Update & Question Bump
How do you think about the current activity?
Currently, I'm working on these:
Elementary school volunteering (closely working with children, a TA role - 6 hours a week)
Hospital volunteering (I'm in the midst of application - 12 hours a week intended)
----
Is attending a lecture considered participating in a club/society?
Club:
Member of regional/local Geography Society
----
I'm weighing between more clinical volunteer vs helping people with severe sight loss.
Urgent Care Clinic (I've seen a lot of Hispanic patients come in and out)
Organization for Vision Impaired (an organization that serves anyone with blindness and severe sight loss)

I've decided to take one more year at CC. Thus I will be transferring in 18-19 year. What I'm currently working on now, have the potential to be 400-500 hours by 2019.
Can anyone help me with questions in bold? Thank you very much :D

Last edited:
About the Ads