Weak hands

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piebaldi

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey peeps,
Need some advice. Doing my pain fellowship. Having some occasional issues pushing meds into joints during procedures - particularly SI joints ugh.
I have small hands, attending jokingly (or not so jokingly? ) asked me if I was using weights.

Any suggestions? Becoming frustrating.

Members don't see this ad.

On SI joints it should be quite hard to inject the medication with a 10ml syringe if you are intra-articular. Look at is as another reassuring sign you are in the right place.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On SI joints it should be quite hard to inject the medication with a 10ml syringe if you are intra-articular. Look at is as another reassuring sign you are in the right place.

Yes, but I spazz out when this happens - it recently happened where I was right on spot wise, but no medication would go in! So I put my whole body into it and both hands. It's so frustrating.

Use a 3 cc syringe. Work out by squeezing a tennis ball during meetings.

Reactions: 1 user
Use 3ml syringe or spin and pull it back slightly until it injects. There is a decent study that basically says if you are close to the si joint it doesn’t matter whether you are intra-articular or not. This is not a reason to spazz over.

Reactions: 2 users
Withdraw slightly or rotate bevel tip and then inject

Make sure you have a catheter securely attached to both the needle and syringe. Can push harder and no worries about moving the needle tip.

Make sure you have a catheter securely attached to both the needle and syringe. Can push harder and no worries about moving the needle tip.

That would be nice,unfortunately it's not my practice, and have to go with whatever attending wants but I plan on doing this when I am out on my own indeed.

I don't even know what deadlifts are. I can't do pullups. Also not sure what rows are sadly. I'm not a dude btw

What does not being a dude have to do with anything? Hire a personal trainer for a session or two and learn some of these very basic exercises. Building strength will not only help you in your job, but also in life.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it’s just the anesthesia training talking, but if you have to push that hard something’s not right. You may have had the tip buried in periosteum. Agree with what several people said - pull back until it flows ok

Reactions: 3 users
this is not unusual. i do a lot of shots, but my hands sometimes hurt afterwards, and it can sometimes be tough getting the medication in to a frozen shoulder or an SIJ. with epidurals, you should not see this sort of resistance.

not sure how a deadlift is going to help intrinsic finger strength.

the biggest factor in the ease in which the medication flows is the gauge of the needle. you should probably be doing most of your work with a 22g needle. it is tough to get some stuff thru a 25.

also, you are asking for a explosion when you over-pressurize the system. the connections at the tubing will eventually give way, and you will end up with an unhappy xray tech with contrast on her face.

• Haha
Deadlift is amazing for training grip strength.

is you want to get technical, you need to strengthen your opponens, APL, and APB -- not hamstrings and gluts......

I do my visco with a 25G. No crazy pressure needed as long as you're not in a ligament.

My son likes rock climbing and got this widget to build hand strength that is great, it works each finger individually. It also gives you a crushing handshake, which is a great thing for a lady to have.

My son likes rock climbing and got this widget to build hand strength that is great, it works each finger individually. It also gives you a crushing handshake, which is a great thing for a lady to have.

Haha. I am not sure a crushing handshake will be that helpful professionally. :)

Watch your posture, make sure you don't have hidden cervical radic. Very common in the iphone generation and those of us who wear lead all the time. Even with small weak" hands this shouldn't be happening routinely unless you are buried in periosteum.

If it’s not hard to inject an sij you’re unlikely to be truly in the joint and very unlikely to see arthrogram imo. 22g needle. 3cc syringe. No extension tubing. With one hand retract needle very slightly and rotate bevel with other hand keep firm pressure on plunger trying to inject entire time. Kind of like a reverse loss of resistance. You’ll feel a slight release and put maybe 0.2 cc contrast In. Use heel of hand/thenar emanance to help exert force. Not tip of thumb. It usually leaves a good circular impression on my hand.

Put apple in pt's mouth first Ducttape.