Weak volunteering experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1040417

I've only volunteered at a food bank. I did 2 months in summer a year ago and we got to interact with the individual clients. Now the clients bring their car and we load their cars without any interaction. Is this a weak volunteering experience? I love doing it, but can't describe how it is meaningful, I just feel good doing it. I wanted to get more involved with in-person things, but obviously, things are limited right now.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only volunteered at a food bank. I did 2 months in summer a year ago and we got to interact with the individual clients. Now the clients bring their car and we load their cars without any interaction. Is this a weak volunteering experience? I love doing it, but can't describe how it is meaningful, I just feel good doing it. I wanted to get more involved with in-person things, but obviously, things are limited right now.
I'm currently volunteering at a food bank also. It's the spirit that matters. Do what you can where you can.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
how many hours do you have?
90ish, it's not the hours I am concerned about but the experience itself. I will still continue this even if I have to look for something else too. I just like doing this, but dislike that we don't get to interact anymore, but guess we have to do what we have to in order to keep one another safe and healthy especially during the winter months.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it's weak, yeah. lol sorry, just my honest opinion. it's weak bc you yourself say you're not sure what you're getting out of it and also tbh i think it's a little hard to raise eyebrows with this stuff bc literal hordes of premeds do foodbank and homeless shelter. But you're definitely right that covid limits things; I empathize with you there.

Have you considered teaching kids for free in something you're passionate about? I teach piano and music as an example. there are some premed bros at my college that give free surfing lessons, which i think is dope. in my case it's a double bonus bc i wanna do peds. but for ex you could do a similar thing with hospice care patients if you wanted to work with adults. super open ended, but I think this kind of stuff goes a long way since it resonate with your own interests.

I think it's weak, yeah. lol sorry, just my honest opinion. it's weak bc you yourself say you're not sure what you're getting out of it and also tbh i think it's a little hard to raise eyebrows with this stuff bc literal hordes of premeds do foodbank and homeless shelter. But you're definitely right that covid limits things; I empathize with you there.

Have you considered teaching kids for free in something you're passionate about? I teach piano and music as an example. there are some premed bros at my college that give free surfing lessons, which i think is dope. in my case it's a double bonus bc i wanna do peds. but for ex you could do a similar thing with hospice care patients if you wanted to work with adults. super open ended, but I think this kind of stuff goes a long way since it resonate with your own interests.
Honestly don't think there really is anything else to do. All interactive things are closed -- at least whatever I look up has their volunteer programs suspended besides food banks.

Food bank is fine. Volunteering even when you don’t get anything out of it is pretty much the definition of service to the community.

Reactions: 4 users
If the alternative is to do nothing to help those in need, then putting food in their cars is a noble thing to do and you'll get some brownie points for doing it. Those of us who can help should do so. I did a food distribution thing last weekend (in advance of the Thanksgiving holiday) and I know that in person opportunities are limited; my own volunteering with kids has been on hiatus since March.

Reactions: 4 users
I am grateful for your comments and for informing me. Thank you all very much. Have a Happy Thanksgiving!