Weakness question in Interview.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Weebs

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have my first interview coming up this week, and I was thinking about how to answer the weakness question. This summer, I realized some weaknesses about myself in terms of the way I deal with people (see things too black and white, take things personally sometimes, too high of standards for others), and I voluntarily seeked out therapy. Since I feel that it is best to list some weaknesses, but then talk about how you are trying to remedy those... should I mention the fact that I went to therapy? It really really helped me, but I don't want them to think my problems are so bad because I mention the word "therapy" (even though it really was just because I felt it would be helpful to talk to a 3rd party professional). Any thoughts? Might it be harmful to mention that fact, or will my blunt honesty be a positive?

Weebs

Members don't see this ad.

I told the truth (can hold a grudge, often verbalize my loathing of people who have jobs yet are offended when actually required to work, say what's on my mind to a fault, etc.).

I'd offer a couple traits and that's it. You can be honest w/o mentioning therapy-not that anything's wrong with it as most people could use a bit IMO.

I just don't think most interviewers want THAT much detail. On the other hand, mentioning that you sought therapy indicates self-improvement and would likely make you more memorable than the average interviewee...which is important.

Good luck.

Dr. Weebs said:
I have my first interview coming up this week, and I was thinking about how to answer the weakness question. This summer, I realized some weaknesses about myself in terms of the way I deal with people (see things too black and white, take things personally sometimes, too high of standards for others), and I voluntarily seeked out therapy. Since I feel that it is best to list some weaknesses, but then talk about how you are trying to remedy those... should I mention the fact that I went to therapy? It really really helped me, but I don't want them to think my problems are so bad because I mention the word "therapy" (even though it really was just because I felt it would be helpful to talk to a 3rd party professional). Any thoughts? Might it be harmful to mention that fact, or will my blunt honesty be a positive?

Weebs

How about we call it 'counseling'? Sounds a little less concerning....

Members don't see this ad :)
LSUwannabe said:
"I still wet the bed occasionally."

That's pretty damn hokey.

Did you get in?

I think that I have the same weakness- I expect a lot from others and I am often let down...

I think you should say the weakness, not how you deal with the weakness (therapy) unless specifically asked what you do about it.

I think it's unlikely any single answer in the interview makes or breaks you, though. My feeling is they just want to see if you're sincere, can communicate effectively, and aren't a total psycho.

My generic suggestion is just be yourself...

Dr. Weebs said:

Weebs

i hate that question. i said that i was impatient. and my interviewer said that he was too. and it was actually an ok moment.

so i am concluding that you should say a weakness that many people suffer from so that its not like ur some freak. and maybe not a weakness that would impair you from being a fair, nonjudgemental, helpful, concerned doctor. being impatient is a weakness, but its ok. seeing things too black and white altho not completely freakish and a weakness many of us have, may put some doubt in an interviewers mind about how great of a dr you would be, how well u will relate to your patients and their probs, to your colleagues, to medicine and diagnosign people, etc. u see...try to choose a weakness that will put no doubt that u will be a good dr.

clarissa

Dr. Weebs said:

Weebs

I would not hesitate to mention the fact that you went to therapy. First of all, it shows very good insight into your own weaknesses. Second, it shows amenability to treatment, justified by the fact that you have had success. Third, doctors are not immune to problems or weaknesses. I think this would be a good way to express your 'humanity' rather than some of the arrogant, egotistical people I've seen on the trail. Good luck.

i was told by an admissions officer once to not state your "bad" weaknesses but rather to take a "good" weakness and say that was your greatess weakness... :confused: does that make sense?? :rolleyes: anyway, here's an example:my greatest weakness is that i'm too nice.. being nice isn't a bad thing, but being tooo nice might be.. or like, "i say yes too often" and its a weakness b/c sometimes you can't get things done...i hope that makes some kind of sense..but something along those lines. i dont know if i'd want to mention therapy though...hope that helps..and good luck!! :luck: