tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Has anyone done/seen/heard ? I heard they still wear top hat in Europe, do they? :confused: So they must wear top hat to medical school interview in Europe? How about in the U.S?

getright

7+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
What is wrong with you.

RoyBasch

10+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Please wear a top hat!

while you are at it get a cloak and a monocle as well.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Has anyone done/seen/heard ? I heard they still wear top hat in Europe, do they? :confused: So they must wear top hat to medical school interview in Europe? How about in the U.S?

I thought that you were banned last month. Are you an internet zombie that has come back from the dead? Did you pay off the mods? No offense, but you deserved to be banned in your prior internet life.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Jan 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
At least he's entertaining, sadly far more entertaining than anything else I could be doing on a Friday night. :bang:

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Seriously, I get warned by the mods for being too insulting, you get frigging banned, and a week later, YOU ARE BACK LURCHING AROUND HERE LIKE FRIGGING FRANKENSTEIN, HOW DOES THAT WORK, MODS?

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Seriously, I get warned by the mods for being too insulting, you get frigging banned, and a week later, YOU ARE BACK LURCHING AROUND HERE LIKE FRIGGING FRANKENSTEIN, HOW DOES THAT WORK, MODS?
I was temporary banned. And I am not trying to troll this time. I just came up with this idea trying to discuss with everybody about the fashion in interview. :confused:

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
hahaha

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
I have not heard of the top hat. i have, however, heard of some other oddly dressed characters....like the hippies that show up in wrinkles shirts with mismatched socks (dude probably got into yale).

Anyone have any good stories about odd applicants they ran into while interviewing?

Edit - side story. in my nursing school class, we had to wear whites (yes, all white....great idea to have a bunch of females running around in all white) but we were given the option of different styles of whites. One girl in the class of fifty wore the old style nurse dress, ya know, the one that goes past your knees and comes with a cute little hat. The gents at the VA definitely liked her. ;)

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
I am extremely interested in knowing whether the people wear top hat to medical school interview in Europe or not.

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
Don't ask questions for which there is no logical answer :nono:

Hoody

Removed
Jul 1, 2009
Status
I am extremely interested in knowing whether the people wear top hat to medical school interview in Europe or not.
what is a top hat anyway? I'm picturing like cat in the hat top hat and I'm guessing thats probably wrong.

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
Unless your wearing all of this, shut up about it.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They do. They also interview shirtless. Make sure to trim your chest hair, European adcoms eat that up.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

7starmantis

10+ Year Member
Jul 10, 2008
Three Sheets to the Wind
I feel like seth myers, really....really?

I'm going to give myself a lobotomy with a dinner spoon just because of this thread. Can we just....

:troll:

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I feel like seth myers, really....really?

I'm going to give myself a lobotomy with a dinner spoon just because of this thread. Can we just....

:troll:
It is far too entertaining to stop.

El Nino

MS-2
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 4, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yay! A useless thread (+1 to my post count)

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oct 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I am thinking something like this...

Decent ensemble, but not for anything interview related. (regardless of if you're trolling)
I'm thinking something like this...
The cuff links make them look fancy. But beware, some people find cuff links showoffy and pretentious, you might want to wear barrel cuffs with that outfit instead, but I do dig the bow ties :thumbup:

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
+pad+

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
I have not heard of the top hat. i have, however, heard of some other oddly dressed characters....like the hippies that show up in wrinkles shirts with mismatched socks (dude probably got into yale).

Anyone have any good stories about odd applicants they ran into while interviewing?

Edit - side story. in my nursing school class, we had to wear whites (yes, all white....great idea to have a bunch of females running around in all white) but we were given the option of different styles of whites. One girl in the class of fifty wore the old style nurse dress, ya know, the one that goes past your knees and comes with a cute little hat. The gents at the VA definitely liked her. ;)
One girl showed up to an interview in a turquoise ski sweater and flat sandles (not dressy at all). Another showed up with her mom... lol

All of the nurses at our hospital wear all white. I have seen one that dresses in the traditional nurse outfit (as you mentioned). Mayo has some sort of thing about making all their nurses dress in white because of the tradition. Interesting..and kind of cool, I guess. I wonder how much bleach those nurses go through in a year...

oaklandguy

Dismembered
Jul 22, 2009
On the shores of my conscious
Status
Pre-Medical
One girl showed up to an interview in a turquoise ski sweater and flat sandles (not dressy at all). Another showed up with her mom... lol

All of the nurses at our hospital wear all white. I have seen one that dresses in the traditional nurse outfit (as you mentioned). Mayo has some sort of thing about making all their nurses dress in white because of the tradition. Interesting..and kind of cool, I guess. I wonder how much bleach those nurses go through in a year...
Nursing students always wear all white. And usually it's decently see-thru which is kind've awesome. Makes for good flirting.

starl3tte

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2008
Status
Medical Student
lol, this is hilarious. As someone who decided to go the conservative route and wear black and white to most interviews, I always found it entertaining to see how creative fellow interviewees dared to be with their funeral attire. I saw a guy wear a red bow tie and neon green rimmed glasses. Someone else lost his luggage and showed up in jeans and a scarf...but that wasn't really intentional. And then there's always that one girl who decides to do up her outfit with fishnet stockings...

rxlea

Almost a unicorn
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Pharmacist
Black and white is boring. If you can find a classy way to dress it up a bit, I think it is a good thing to do :) a little color goes a long way. You just have to be smart about what colors :)

CaptainSSO

7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2010
Status
Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
Or this:

Or this:

****, just pick a random Flava Flav outfit and go with that. Any of them will be perfect.

OncDoc19

MS4
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 6, 2007
Status
Medical Student
Maybe I shouldn't be providing a serious answer here, but no OP, people in Europe do not wear top hats to interviews. I have lived in England, home of the top hat, for 2 years. What you are describing is white-tie formal attire for men and whilst I see men at my university in white-tie regularly I can assure you that they aren't going to an interview!

Unless this is the sort of interview you mean, in which case white-tie would be perfect!
http://www.varsitv.co.uk/episode/dhct8q/Cindies_Stories_Episode_6/
http://www.varsitv.co.uk/episode/daxfdj/Cindies_Stories_Episode_4/
http://cambridgetab.co.uk/tabtv/tabtv-rah-count/

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
United States
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe I shouldn't be providing a serious answer here, but no OP, people in Europe do not wear top hats to interviews. I have lived in England, home of the top hat, for 2 years. What you are describing is white-tie formal attire for men and whilst I see men at my university in white-tie regularly I can assure you that they aren't going to an interview!

Unless this is the sort of interview you mean, in which case white-tie would be perfect!
http://www.varsitv.co.uk/episode/dhct8q/Cindies_Stories_Episode_6/
http://www.varsitv.co.uk/episode/daxfdj/Cindies_Stories_Episode_4/
http://cambridgetab.co.uk/tabtv/tabtv-rah-count/
Ok. How often do the people in Europe wear a top hat? I saw the movie of Mr. Scrrooge and many people wore top hat you know.

Anyway, it seems top hat is not accetable in today huh.

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
United States
Status
Pre-Medical

Nursing students always wear all white. And usually it's decently see-thru which is kind've awesome. Makes for good flirting.
oh man, i agree. if nurses wear the traditional clothing, i think they are cuter all the time. you see, tradtional nursing clothes are cool and better than scrubs.

circulus vitios

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2008
Who wouldn't accept you in this?

Tennisball: What the chances?
Adcom: Not good.
Tennisball: You mean not good like 1 out of 100?
Adcom: I'd say more like 1 out of 1,000,000.
Tennisball: So you're telling me there's a chance? YEAH!

Status
Not open for further replies.