Website for Applying to Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlaskWroclaw18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been reading through the pre allopathic thread with all the secondary application threads and I have been wondering, is there a web site where today's applicants has a profile and where all the schools go to update one's status (secondary recieved, accepted, wait-listed, etc.) I heard it was the amcas website? Does all schools use this? How does this work?

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS is the standardized primary application that you initially fill out with all your information, coursework, activities, personal statement etc. You pay them about $30 to send it to each school. Then each particular medical school you chose will screen your primary application (some won't even bother) and send you a secondary application. Each school's secondary is different and often consists of essays and other miscellaneous questions. Some schools have their own websites for you to upload your secondary and pay secondary fees (ballpark about $100 each), and others request that you mail it in.

I have been reading through the pre allopathic thread with all the secondary application threads and I have been wondering, is there a web site where today's applicants has a profile and where all the schools go to update one's status (secondary recieved, accepted, wait-listed, etc.) I heard it was the amcas website? Does all schools use this? How does this work?

Yes, its the AMCAS website that schools use for the primary application. You can make an account (i think) and just take a look at the format and what kinda questions they ask you. The primary application is your personal statement, other personal info, extracurriculars like jobs and volunteer positions you have held, sports you have played, or any other things you have been involved with. You can also put any awards you have won. The other part of the primary app is adding in every course you have taken in college and every grade you have received. When you send them your transcript, theyll double check you have categorized each course correctly and have recorded the proper grades. At the end, you choose the schools you want to apply to and then push send. Each school will get the same thing. After your AMCAS is submitted and verified, you will no longer be dealing with that website. Each school will contact you and give you further instructions to check your status with their program. The primary app is only that first step.

The only schools that dont use AMCAS are the Texas schools. They have their own application system and use their own website. Here it is.

And lastly, if you are going to apply to DO schools, they have their own separate app system as well. Here it is.

Once each school that you applied to has received your primary, they will usually provide a webpage that you can log into and check your status. This will give information like whether or not you've been granted a secondary/interview/etc. There is no "one" place that you can go to that will show statuses for all of your schools. Most people will bookmark all of the school status pages that are relevant and check them on a regular basis.