Websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

desmangt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question. How many applicants this year have seriously looked at individual program websites in efforts to decide which programs to apply to?
Because I have noticed that there is a huge difference in the quality of different department websites. I personally feel that there is little to no correlation with quality site and quality program, but anyone else have opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

desmangt are you applying again this year? :)

For what it's worth, I appreciate the webmaster's efforts. My guess is that the quality of the program is as much related to the program coordinator's HTML/FTP skills as chocolate is to shrimp.

There are some fantastic sites out there e.g. University of Washington (Seattle). Kudos to them! And then there are others where I have trouble finding the application requirements.

Having said that, even among the "skeleton" websites, there are skeletons that are fluff, and then there are skeletons that provide you with exactly what you are looking for.

If it comes down to that, I would pick the program with the latter skeleton.

I wrote to several programs requesting information and received multiple responses to "look at their website". Several of the websites are essentially worthless and outdated. I think it makes the program look questionable if the information isn't current. I also like to receive packets in the mail. It makes me feel like they're genuinely interested instead of "don't bother me, just look at the website." What happened to the days when they actually tried to recruit people? And if they don't want us calling and bugging them, why not put the relavent information in the website?

Members don't see this ad :)
When I was applying, I considered bad program websites to be a bit of a red flag. However, oftentimes the people in the department don't have a ton to do with it. There are tech people, sometimes not incredibly familiar with pathology, who have control of design and function. The larger programs usually have the best websites, as they specifically have people in charge of the departmental website.

I thought some of the better websites were Iowa, MGH, Utah. A good departmental website says a lot. Michigan's has gotten better.

In regards to the seeming lack of desire by programs to send out information, usually there is a secretary or someone called "residency program coordinator" or something like that who is in charge of coordinating all things residency - receiving applications, sending out letters, all that. They are usually the best people to ask. However, most programs will send out information packets once you apply and they invite you to interview. Of course, if you are wanting the information to decide whether or not to apply, that doesn't help much. The amount of info you receive is as little as a single page letter inviting you to interview and inviting you to call or visit the website, or as much as the entire departmental handbook, list of faculty, promotional brochure, description of rotations, etc. Some go all out. I think it says a lot if a program spends time and effort to recruit residents. Some don't need to but still do anyway.

Some programs have excellent intranet resources including cases of the week, virtual microscopy, capabilities etc....

These may not be obvious on the internet.

My program has an amazing intranet. One of the best I have seen (I have seen some of the better IV league systems and I have great interest in telepathology, virtual microscopy, and all forms of computer based learning).

Program websites if done well can be much more informative and current than mail packets, I find. Website + phone call answered most of my questions.

it is indeed quite interesting that SO MANY name prgms have such HORRIFIC websites...
even places that have apparently (esp. after reading from other threads/responses) BIG NAMES such as BAYLOR college of Med in Houston literally have NO INFORMATION on their website [i even emailed the contact person listed on Baylor's "website" which so kindly implied that i'd receive more info....but of course i've YET to receive any sort of reply].

what does this really imply about programs such as this?!?!?
why should i waste my time/interest in their program if they are not even willing to give out BASIC info, Godforbid show ANY interest in me & invest the whole 10 seconds it would take to reply?

what particular info where you looking for? the baylor admissions website provides reasonably comprehensive information on past admissions stats, applying this year, and requirements. perhaps you're not finding the right site?

SLUsagar said:
it is indeed quite interesting that SO MANY name prgms have such HORRIFIC websites...
even places that have apparently (esp. after reading from other threads/responses) BIG NAMES such as BAYLOR college of Med in Houston literally have NO INFORMATION on their website [i even emailed the contact person listed on Baylor's "website" which so kindly implied that i'd receive more info....but of course i've YET to receive any sort of reply].

why should i waste my time/interest in their program if they are not even willing to give out BASIC info, Godforbid show ANY interest in me & invest the whole 10 seconds it would take to reply?

Algunn said:
what particular info where you looking for? the baylor admissions website provides reasonably comprehensive information on past admissions stats, applying this year, and requirements. perhaps you're not finding the right site?

which baylor pathology prgm are you referring to? I meant Baylor Houston Pathology...i used the link from Freida. Once you click on "residency/fellowship programs" another screen comes up saying to email someone for more info

SLUsagar said:

Maybe when a Big Name program has a poor website, it reveals that they are a working department and not a fluff department. The faculty are busy putting their efforts towards research and sign out, not sitting around making websites all day. Or... it could be a red flag. I don't really know the answer. I do agree though that Big Name programs should make a bigger effort towards their websites. Most medical students finally decide which field they want to enter usually around the end of third year (especially with path due to the lack of exposure with traditional curriculums). By then, it is difficult to find information about programs by the time ERAS opens. In pathology there is a steep drop off between good programs and poor programs. A website is very beneficial to helping these students choose the best programs to apply to. Until programs get with the times, I suggest looking at the number of fellowship positions they offer on Frieda (not the website), and if the hospital is a full-service institution. Some big name hospitals don't have a significant peds department or neurosurgery, etc. and this can also reflect in lack of volume from these specialties.

desmangt said:
Maybe when a Big Name program has a poor website, it reveals that they are a working department and not a fluff department. The faculty are busy putting their efforts towards research and sign out, not sitting around making websites all day. Or... it could be a red flag. I don't really know the answer. I do agree though that Big Name programs should make a bigger effort towards their websites. Most medical students finally decide which field they want to enter usually around the end of third year (especially with path due to the lack of exposure with traditional curriculums). By then, it is difficult to find information about programs by the time ERAS opens. In pathology there is a steep drop off between good programs and poor programs. A website is very beneficial to helping these students choose the best programs to apply to. Until programs get with the times, I suggest looking at the number of fellowship positions they offer on Frieda (not the website), and if the hospital is a full-service institution. Some big name hospitals don't have a significant peds department or neurosurgery, etc. and this can also reflect in lack of volume from these specialties.

i don't think the quality of the website should deter or convince one to apply to a particular program. i say just apply to the program, interview, and form your own impression.