1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Wedding during AuD program

Discussion in 'Audiology [ Au.D ]' started by dg2b, Aug 12, 2011.

1. dg2b

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Have any of you gotten married during your AuD program, or know anyone that did? I just got engaged on Monday, and we want to get married sometime in 2013, which would be the end of my second year/ beginning of my third year. When do you think the best time to have a wedding would be? I'd love to have a fall wedding, but I'm guessing my professors wouldn't be too keen on me missing a week of classes and clinicals for the honeymoon.

I'd love to hear your experiences and suggestions! :)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SoCalAud

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Congratulations!!!!! This is exciting! :)

Dustbug just got married recently. I'm sure he'll pop here soon and give you some advice. :)

Fall weddings are beautiful! I know it's a tradition to go on a honeymoon the next day after the wedding, but what about saving the honeymoon for the winter break? Not only would it be cheaper to go to your destination during that time, you would still be on track for all your clinical hours and class hours. I don't know, just a thought.

4. Dustbug10

Dustbug10 Year IV
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    Congrats on the engagement! I got married the day after my last final in May. There was a 2 1/2 week break until the summer semester began, leaving enough time for a one week honeymoon in Riviera Maya. Taking a week off during school is just not an option. We flew out the morning after the wedding. A plan like that may not work for you. Consider the fact that I'm a male, and that I had little to do with planning the wedding. Even then, it was still stressful and definitely affected performance evals. My wife was in grad school as well, so it was extreme stressful for her. However, we had the wedding near our hometown and let her mother plan out the entire thing with input since she's good at that type of stuff. We also had 11 groomsmen and 10 bridesmaids to help out when needed (most lived pretty close). If you're going to have a big wedding, make sure you have the support system and everything will turn out great. If you're planning it on your own, I'd consider what Steph suggested and seperate the honeymoon.

A lot of people asked me why not wait until after school? The way I see it, you develop good spending/budgeting habits since income will be limited. You learn to support each other through stressful and adverse times.. If you can survive that, it makes 5-10 years down the road all the more enjoyable. And plus all that emotional gushy stuff.. All the best!

5. cidanu

5+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    congratulations!

several people have gotten married in my program. one did it after the first year, one did it labor day weekend of the second year, and one is doing it now in the summer after the third year. that's all i can think of right now but i know there's been others.

one person even had a baby and is still on track!

it can totally be done. i don't see any reason to wait, unless there are financial reasons. my boyfriend and i are not in a rush because he's already in the working world which would probably prevent me from qualifying for certain student loans if we were married.

6. SoCalAud

2+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    I'm on the same boat as you are, except I think my boyfriend has marriage-phobia or something. :rolleyes: It's all good though because I'm not sure what my financial situation will be like when I start the grad program.

7. cidanu

5+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    yeah i went from poor to broke. boyfriend has helped out a lot.

now that i think about it, when you compare the tax break he would likely get if we were married to the amount i'm saving by getting subsidized loans, we'd probably save more money if we were married. i also thought i might get some need-based aid too which was another reason for waiting. the first 2 years of grad school i got some institutional aid based on my FAFSA that was helpful, but apparently the amount gets less each year until it's practically nothing, and now it's really not substantial enough to matter.

8. Blue Suede Rain

Rehab Sci Student
    This forum is shaking it up with weddings and pregnancies.

9. Blue Suede Rain

Rehab Sci Student
    I love it! :)

Also, dg2b, I personally recommend elopement. Less stress and you have your wedding/honeymoon wrapped up nicely into one neat package. It worked for me and my husband! We just celebrated our 6 year anniversary of getting married in Las Vegas.

The only thing I would have changed was perhaps eloping to Europe perhaps. At the time, I didn't have my passport.

However, I am pleased with our wedding because we were able to elope on the 35th wedding anniversary of my in-laws (my father in law had already passed away, a subtle way to honor his memory) and at the same Little White Wedding Chapel they got married at.

Plus it was all inclusive and with the money we saved we were able to afford a deluxe suite at the Venetian and a week of traveling around the Southwest area. Not to mention...low stress! :)

#8 Blue Suede Rain, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  10. Blue Suede Rain

Rehab Sci Student
    Dustbug10, I completely agree!

Plus, it's actually much more economical this way with sharing living costs and much easier to see the other person on a regular basis. Prior, dates could be hard to arrange (much less afford). We enjoy just hanging out on the couch with our dual study sessions. (nerd alert, nerd alert) Can you tell we're both graduate students?

11. cidanu

5+ Year Member

Rehab Sci Student
    classic. i love it.

12. smswieczorek

Rehab Sci Student
    I got married last year - We got engaged right before the start of first year and got married almost a year later when I had a week break from school. I took summer finals and then got married that Friday. It was hard trying to plan and do school at the same time but just try to let your bridesmaids, maid of honor, and parents help you out. Everything turned out great and we had the best wedding possible. So it is possible and you can make it work. The program directors don't usually look fondly on taking any time off from classes and clinic so I would suggest trying to find a date when you have a break from classes and clinic. Hope this helps!

13. saturnein

Rehab Sci Student
    I got married a year ago and my husband and I were both in grad school. It is tough, but it can definitely work. Make sure you have a very serious financial plan and account for unexpected costs/not finding a job right away, etc.

Also (we've found this really helpful) you should designate one night a week (or every other week) as "date night" and make sure you do something special.

Good luck!