Weight of alumni letters? How would I utilize one of these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KendallJennerSniperLady69

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Please do not quote this post]

Hi all,

At my workplace, one of the clinical fellows I work with caught wind that I am in the midst of applying to medical school and preparing for an interview. He told me he wants to help me prepare for interviews, suggested I apply to his alma mater, and offered to write a letter for me specific for his alma mater where he is an MD-PhD alumni. His school is one of my top 5 choices out of a list of 29 schools. However, I understand holds almost no weight for medical schools, esp. the T20s.

Obviously, I am extremely grateful and flattered but also caught off guard. Would a letter like this be useful in anyway pre-interview? How about post interview? If useful at all, how would I provide the letter (use the school's upload portal or assign a new letter using AMCAS maybe)? I don't want to waste his time if this is a pointless endeavor. He is the chief fellow in his program and told me that he conducts fellowship interviews for the institution we work at but also admitted that he is not involved in the med-school admissions process at all.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If your app was competitive without his letter, it’ll be that much better with it. If you’re not competitive stats-wise, the best and most personal letter won’t save you. I think you might be able to submit it as an update assuming you ask the admissions team if you can have him submit it on your behalf because a non-blinded letter is worthless and I think it’s too late to submit new letters on amcas.

Reactions: 1 user
If your app was competitive without his letter, it’ll be that much better with it. If you’re not competitive stats-wise, the best and most personal letter won’t save you. I think you might be able to submit it as an update assuming you ask the admissions team if you can have him submit it on your behalf because a non-blinded letter is worthless and I think it’s too late to submit new letters on amcas.

Thanks for the reply! My stats are 3.95/525, but the school has one of the highest MCAT/GPA medians. I would say I'm a "fit" with these numbers, but I think the school has its pick with high stats applicants, and I wouldn't say I'm a exceptionally unique applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! My stats are 3.95/525, but the school has one of the highest MCAT/GPA medians. I would say I'm a "fit" with these numbers, but I think the school has its pick with high stats applicants, and I wouldn't say I'm a exceptionally unique applicant.
At that level (both you and the school) it's not going to make a difference, but certainly won't hurt. I'd call the school, ask them how to proceed, and take it from there. Good luck!!!!

If you have the grades, which you do, and everything else. Why not take your shot? If anything it’s one more datapoint they can use to separate you from other high stat applicants