Weight of College Transcript for Specialty App

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OctaviustheFish

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that dental school grades and Board scores are incredibly important when applying to specialty programs but a lot of them also request undergrad college transcripts; I am wondering how important those undergrad grades are, and more specifically, if not completing your bachelor's before Dental school could hurt you. Sorry if there is already a related thread out there, but I couldn't find one.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I very seriously doubt that would hurt you. I mean.. who cares?

I know that dental school grades and Board scores are incredibly important when applying to specialty programs but a lot of them also request undergrad college transcripts; I am wondering how important those undergrad grades are, and more specifically, if not completing your bachelor's before Dental school could hurt you. Sorry if there is already a related thread out there, but I couldn't find one.

Thanks

this topic, at least for the omfs residencies, was covered in this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=466404

you say you looked but i guess you didn't look that hard b/c this thread was just further down the same page. :D don't take it personally, i'm just busting your chops. ;)

in short, undergrad gpa does play a factor at some of the 6 year omfs programs where the med school has a greater say in the admissions process. this is because they have to also admit you into the med school and so they will look at your undergrad gpa as a criteria for admission.