Weight put on undergrad GPA for residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kakafan22

Reaction score
Recently accepted off waitlist but had enrolled in courses for the summer II semester. Unable to finish out the examinations/practicals which would result in a VERY LOW "postbacc/pre-doctoral" GPA.

If I were to apply to residencies, would a low GPA of ~14 credits be a major red flag for residency programs?

update: was able to finish the summer II semester with a 3.6 GPA. realized I don't want to specialize anyway haha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but residencies only care about your dental school gpa. Plus you're doing post-bacc, its not like a master's program or anything

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but residencies only care about your dental school gpa. Plus you're doing post-bacc, its not like a master's program or anything
A lot of Ortho residencies want your undergrad grades. Not sure about others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some residencies do consider undergrad gpa and for the most part they are not relevant. Dental school gpa and stats are much more important. I think it has slight relevance for the OMFS 6 yr MD program. Either way, it's pretty silly to consider undergrad.

For the most competitive specialties they often do look at the undergraduate GPA to discern candidates from one another. For general practice residencies that might be less important.