Weight Gain in Dental School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lo1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people tend to gain weight in dental school because of the constant stress? I am a senior in undergrad and I've gained a little weight in college because of drinking and stress eating occasionally so I might try and lose some of it before dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

I've lost weight. But that's because I don't eat when I'm busy.

Reactions: 3 users
Depends on if you stress eat or eat less due to the workload - I've seen it go both ways.

You can definitely make the time to exercise each day so it's avoidable if you're worried about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you find time to go to the gym. One to two hours a day, every other day should be sufficient.

I've lost weight overall, but I usually gain 5-10 pounds during finals week because I avoid the gym.

Reactions: 1 user
I came home today after spending half the day waxing and the other half in the anatomy lab and promptly stood in my kitchen eating peach pie by the spoonfuls.

Reactions: 9 users
Eat more veggies.

Lowering calorie density is amazingly effective at weight control. (Or increasing calorie density if we're losing too much weight.)

Here are some resources on the topic that I have found particularly helpful:
"The Ultimate Guide To Free Calorie Density Resources
Jeff Novick, MS, RDN

"Calorie density is the simplest approach to healthful eating and lifelong weight management. This common sense approach to sound nutrition allows for lifelong weight management without hunger; more food for fewer calories, and is easy to understand and follow. As such, I have put together the *Ultimate* resource guide of the best FREE information on calorie density on the internet." "
Connect with McDougall | Dr. McDougall's Health & Medical Center

I hope that helps :)

Losing weight is easy in dental school. You go to the store and see something good and you think hmmmm..... 100k this year, do I really want to spend 79 cents for a bag of ramen??

Attachments

• IMG_2480.JPG
    IMG_2480.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 97
Reactions: 3 users
It fluctuates based on my mood. Lost 5 pounds first week of school because I forgot how to cook/pack lunch and decided to starve it out.

I probably gained 10 or so pounds the past few weeks because of free food and drinks from student organizations, along with cramming for exams and practicals

Wow! Y'all have found time to go to the gym once every two days??!! I go the the gym definitely once a week and sometimes can sneak in another time. I tend to think my weight stays pretty in check (~150), but during D1 year, I became pretty fat at around 180 :/ But as time goes, you'll get into the groove of things and find your time to get your work out in. As long as you stay on top of yourself and try not to miss out on the days you specifically set aside for the gym, you should be fine. And try to keep yourself accountable for what you eat... U guess. Easier said than done, but definitely doable with determination.

-Fyz

I understand how you feel, the same thing happens to me when I start studying, try to eat less junk food because it is the easiest thing to always buy but it is the worst

I don’t even have time to eat...

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, scrubs are very forgiving. Make sure to put on your regular clothes sometimes to feel the fat creeping on

Reactions: 2 users
2.5 months in to D1 and I've lost 12lbs. Smaller portions and the fact that I don't have time to eat lol. Also i drink a lot of tea which has some metabolic effects according to google.

4mo into D1 I’ve lost 20 pounds. As someone who has struggled to lose weight in the past, losing weight in DS is easy. You can’t cheat and grab tacobell if your in lecture 8-5pm then have to practice hand skills 5-6pm then have to study for two hours. Since your always busy, you don’t really have time to think about food. Many of us meal prep on Sunday, its cheaper, healthier, and saves time. Plus in our psych class we learn that being attractive plays a big role in being respected/liked by your patients.

Reactions: 5 users
Checking in here with another weight loss - have lost 11 pounds this term so far

Completely agree with what @iono101 wrote

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
2.5 months in to D1 and I've lost 12lbs. Smaller portions and the fact that I don't have time to eat lol. Also i drink a lot of tea which has some metabolic effects according to google.
I've officially gained like 10 pounds since starting school. The winter weather doesn't help either, along with stress over exams, classmate drama, and women.

BTW, I think I know you LMAO!

I've officially gained like 10 pounds since starting school. The winter weather doesn't help either, along with stress over exams, classmate drama, and women.

hUNAo.jpg

I feel you about the chicks. Wish my class weren't always looking out for themselves all the time. But oh welll sighhhh.

Don't worry bro, I know you're just bulking.

Attachments

• IMG_2489.PNG
    IMG_2489.PNG
    49.6 KB · Views: 58
Checking in here with another weight loss - have lost 11 pounds this term so far

Completely agree with what @iono101 wrote

Once you get out of dental school, you're gonna put the weight back on. Trust me, I'm living proof. Goodbye ramen noodles, hello fried chicken!