Weird/Awkward situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomorrowgirl99

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I just got my exam back for biochem and I found out I did well. :) My friend told me that she got a C, the highest grade she's ever gotten in her 4 or 5 times (I lost count) of taking biochem. She told me that the reason she did so well is that she partially cheated off of me. It was weird the way she just casually/nonchalantly admitted that she cheated from my test. I didn't know how to react. How would you guys react if your friend told you that she/he had cheated off your paper? Would you be mad? Would you make sure to sit somewhere else? I want her to pass because this is the last class she needs to graduate, but I really don't think cheating is the way to go.

Members don't see this ad.

tomorrowgirl99 said:
So I just got my exam back for biochem and I found out I did well. :) My friend told me that she got a C, the highest grade she's ever gotten in her 4 or 5 times (I lost count) of taking biochem. She told me that the reason she did so well is that she partially cheated off of me. It was weird the way she just casually/non-chalantly admitted that she cheated from my test. I didn't know how to react. How would you guys react if your friend told you that she/he had cheated off your paper? Would you be mad? Would you make sure to sit somewhere else? I want her to pass because this is the last class she needs to graduate, but I really don't think cheating is the way to go.
I'd be pissed!!!
I love my friends, but there is no way that I'm okay with them cheating off of me in order to pass. I work my butt off to get my grades, and I'm not letting anyone free ride on me!!!
I'd confront her and say that I'm completely uncomfortable with what she did, and explain that I feel like she took advantage of me in a way that compromises my education. (If you get caught, it'd be REALLY difficult to prove that you weren't assisting the situation, and you could EASILY be kicked out of school.) I'd offer to study together or whatever worked for me, but there's no way, shape or form that could convince me that her cheating was okay.

P.S. Way to go on your good grade! Keep up the hard work!

Members don't see this ad :)
well now you have a "moral dilemma" situation to write about for your pitt secondary.
oh wait, they said no essays about cheating.
:p

tomorrowgirl99 said:
So I just got my exam back for biochem and I found out I did well. :) My friend told me that she got a C, the highest grade she's ever gotten in her 4 or 5 times (I lost count) of taking biochem. She told me that the reason she did so well is that she partially cheated off of me. It was weird the way she just casually/nonchalantly admitted that she cheated from my test. I didn't know how to react. How would you guys react if your friend told you that she/he had cheated off your paper? Would you be mad? Would you make sure to sit somewhere else? I want her to pass because this is the last class she needs to graduate, but I really don't think cheating is the way to go.
just let her cheat if she wants to, its her decision. as long as you dont get in trouble or exert any effort

make sure you never sit next to her during an exam from now on.

Asherlauph said:
I'd be pissed!!!
I love my friends, but there is no way that I'm okay with them cheating off of me in order to pass. I work my butt off to get my grades, and I'm not letting anyone free ride on me!!!
I'd confront her and say that I'm completely uncomfortable with what she did, and explain that I feel like she took advantage of me in a way that compromises my education. (If you get caught, it'd be REALLY difficult to prove that you weren't assisting the situation, and you could EASILY be kicked out of school.) I'd offer to study together or whatever worked for me, but there's no way, shape or form that could convince me that her cheating was okay.

P.S. Way to go on your good grade! Keep up the hard work!
premeds! :laugh: your kinds never cease to amaze me :laugh: you are the kind that would not share answers to a really hard assignment because youwant the sole praise from the professor! wow
To the OP - Who cares, you got your good grade, she got her "good(If she calls a C that)" grade...keep your friendship. It is worth more than getting pissed because she cheated from a stupid exam. Personally, if my friend was struggling in a class (she has taken the damn thing 4/5 times - she obviously doesnt get it) , i would love her to cheat off me...i dont care.

chicagomel said:
make sure you never sit next to her during an exam from now on.
She comes later than me, so she sits next to me. Like I said before, the whole conversation was just really weird.

in some form or fashion everyone cheats or cuts corners in their lives. it just depends on how blatant it is

IgweEmeka said:
premeds! :laugh: your kinds never cease to amaze me :laugh: you are the kind that would not share answers to a really hard assignment because youwant the sole praise from the professor! wow
To the OP - Who cares, you got your good grade, she got her "good(If she calls a C that)" grade...keep your friendship. It is worth more than getting pissed because she cheated from a stupid exam. Personally, if my friend was struggling in a class (she has taken the damn thing 4/5 times - she obviously doesnt get it) , i would love her to cheat off me...i dont care.

Who cares? Well if I was accused of cheating, I'd freakin' care!
If you let her cheat off of you, you're compromising your chances of remaining a student at that school- I don't know about your school, but if you're caught cheating at my school, you're kicked out!
It's not about sharing answers on a hard assignment for praise-- If I get "praise" it's because I earned it, yada yada yada, it's about messing up your chances because someone else didn't want to pull their own weight!

The problem with not addressing the cheating in a negative way will encourage her to cheat again. But next time, she will expect more participation on your part. As nonchalantly as she told you she cheated, I'd tell her that you aren't comfortable with her copying your work because:

1). It's not fair to other students (even if it was fair to you).
2). You could both be severely punished, literally almost ending your chances at getting into a professional school.
3). She cheats in one class or one test, she won't have the foundation to move on in her education - waste of her time, and a waste of the concept of academic insitution.

Good luck! I'm glad there are still some moral people out there!!

If you guys got caught, you'd have an interesting time explaining it to med school ad coms cuz that stuff usu goes on ur record. plus a possible F in the class. next time, just sit in between two other ppl, even if u don't know who they are. let her find someone else ...

Asherlauph said:
If you let her cheat off of you, you're compromising your chances of remaining a student at that school- I don't know about your school, but if you're caught cheating at my school, you're kicked out!
It's not about sharing answers on a hard assignment for praise-- If I get "praise" it's because I earned it, yada yada yada, it's about messing up your chances because someone else didn't want to pull their own weight!
Who was accused of cheating? You are putting things into the story.

Members don't see this ad :)
tomorrowgirl99 said:

Asherlauph is right. If she's caught, YOU'D be in trouble as well for violating the Honor System. We're explicitly told that cheating off others and letting others cheat off you is one and the same thing. I wonder why your friend told you she cheated? Does she expect you to understand and let her cheat next time as well?!! I'd tell her straight up that what she's doing is wrong, puts YOU in danger, and politely suggest that she cheat off someone else next time if she's that desperate to pass.

This reminds me:

In my physiology class, it was 30 questions: multiple choice.

I suspected this guy was cheating off of my scantron (we had the same test colors and he kept peering over my shoulder).

I decided I'd circle my test answers on the test, then bubble in the scantron last. Nevermind, I thought... I'll just bubble in WRONG answers and erase them right before the test is over, then fill in my scantron answers.

BINGO.. I didn't see him again after the test results came out.

OH, and those of you that think we are a little too anal about cheating: Imagine someone that cheated on tests all throughout college and medical school being your doctor... Do they really know the necessary concepts?? Extreme case, but still.. you have to draw the line somewhere.

Asherlauph said:
well how dumb are u to blatantly let her cheat off of you? You all in this thread dont even know how to cheat :laugh: Sit in a position that gives her a good view of your exam and let her take the risk in doing the cheating...while you just sit and finish your exam and act like you dont know she is looking at your paper(keep your eye on your paper the whole time). They cannot penalize you because they have no proof that you were letting her cheat...she's the only one that can get in trouble....
But thats not even the point, the point is that you "premeds" are so ingrained on yourselves that you are willing to let go of a frienship b/c "my friend cheated off me" buhu...get over it...we all cheat and cut corners in some fashion like shredder said. Now i understand why i have friends that are mostly non-premed or bio majors...b/c the majority of them are so full of themselves...

BrettBatchelor said:
exactly...thanks for pointing that out...

Shredder said:
in some form or fashion everyone cheats or cuts corners in their lives. it just depends on how blatant it is
well said...as always with Mr. Shredder

BrettBatchelor said:

I encourage you to go ahead and let people cheat off of you, Brett. And take the chance that you get kicked out of school. Less competition for me!

You know what, I actually don't care if people cheat. Just don't tell the person you're sitting next to that you cheated off them! It just gives them a feeling of guilt. If you're caught and they're questioned, they'll likely FEEL like accomplices even though they didn't do anything wrong!

The IMPORTANT question is --> Is she hot?

it gets annoying when people cheat off me every single test...

however if a buddy of mine had been trying to pass the test for a few years, i wouldn't mind... i guess i'm more of a laid-back guy. those things don't really bother me.

IgweEmeka said:
But thats not even the point, the point is that you "premeds" are so ingrained on yourselves that you are willing to let go of a frienship b/c "my friend cheated off me" buhu...get over it...we all cheat and cut corners in some fashion like shredder said. Now i understand why i have friends that are mostly non-premed or bio majors...b/c the majority of them are so full of themselves...

You're right, IgweEmeka. Except it has nothing to do with pre-meds. My friends would know better than to put me in a compromising situation like that. I'm not interested in friends that are slackers, anyway. Have all the cheater friends you want!
(tongue in cheek)

To the OP:

If your school has an honor code, and you signed a statement committing yourself to that honor code, then you may have a responsibility of reporting her. Now, these types of statements are obviously difficult to enforce, because the only way people to follow them is of their own volition. But, personally (an as always, IMHO) signing your name to something (if you did) should carry a good deal of weight ethically and morally.

Before I get flamed by all the "who cares as long as you don't get caught" people that have posted/will post, I've been out of school for a couple years now, and I've come across more than one individual with a less than stellar attitude towards dishonesty in the workplace and even among friends. These are the sort of individuals who differentiate between where it is and isn't ok to cheat, instead of any sort of philosophical approach to cheating as a whole.

Am I projecting a little on the OP's situation? Probably... but I also now wish I had reported a roommate I had in college because I knew she was a habitual cheater. I didn't and now she's in medical school and I doubt she'll stop, and who knows, that might affect a patient down the line.

IgweEmeka said:

Cheating and legitimate helping are two very different things. What if the class is on a curve, and your friend's illegitimate (say) B bumps someone else deserving down to a C? It's just lame. I'd be pissed.

IgweEmeka said:

Agreed. It seems that Friendship is a completely foreign concept to some people. If you feel so used because this person got a C "with your help," then you probably shouldn't call her a friend, just a classmate. I could get annoyed if I saw some random classmate looking at my answers but never a Friend.

I would feel differently if this happened in medical school because there, you're training to do something that puts other people's lives on the line. But it doesn't look like that's where she's going so you're just helping a friend graduate and have a better life, a noble cause :) .

LucidSplash said:
To the OP:

If your school has an honor code, and you signed a statement committing yourself to that honor code, then you may have a responsibility of reporting her. Now, these types of statements are obviously difficult to enforce, because the only way people to follow them is of their own volition. But, personally (an as always, IMHO) signing your name to something (if you did) should carry a good deal of weight ethically and morally.

You sign the honor code so that you can go to college. You can't go unless you sign. And I agree that integrity is importatn. But you have to retain your own values too, something the Nazis didn't do when they were reporting their friends for drinking foreign wine, for example. My loyalty is to a friend over a school. I can't believe someone could actually report a friend for something so lame. If I were on an admissions committee and there was a person with a cheating incident and a person who wrote a secondary essay about reporting a friend, the former would have a better chance with me.

LucidSplash said:
Probably... but I also now wish I had reported a roommate I had in college because I knew she was a habitual cheater. I didn't and now she's in medical school and I doubt she'll stop, and who knows, that might affect a patient down the line.

Damn, how did she pull that off? What type of cheating are we talking about?
Just curious.

Asherlauph said:
You're right, IgweEmeka. Except it has nothing to do with pre-meds. My friends would know better than to put me in a compromising situation like that. I'm not interested in friends that are slackers, anyway. Have all the cheater friends you want!
(tongue in cheek)

I'm with Asherlauph. The only friend I've had that cheated off my exam (without my consent) turned out not to be a great friend in the end.

I don't mind sharing homework answers when it serves the purpose of educating someone and helping them to understand the assignment so they can prepare for an exam. When exam time rolls around, you have to bite the bullet and actually test yourself for what you know.

I notice that the people who resort to cheating because the class is "too hard" for them don't go to professor's office hours, ask for help from the TA, get tutoring, ask other people questions, etc. etc.

another thing, i dont know if u can call the cheater your "friend" bc he/she is jeapordizing ur academic record. just sit next to others u dont know during the next exam.

You know, this post really gets to me-- obviously, with as many times as I've replied... but here I am, still thinking about it! It amazes me how many people responding were OK with cheating.
I'm not a very black and white person-- there's always a justification for everything, but I'd always thought that generally speaking, people treated cheating as wrong.
I'm pretty appalled at how many people posted that it's okay. :confused: I guess I have always equated cheating with dishonesty-- and I'd personally be uncomfortable with a dishonest doctor... How do you (the cheating's okay'ers) justify that? Doesn't it make you feel guilty? Do you not think that cheating is wrong?

As an example (there are many others): In organic chem I and II, we would have something called "problem sets." These were like open book tests, and the only restriction was you absolutly could not get help from any of your fellow students (or profs). We had other "homework sets" which you could work together on, multiples of which came before every problem set (1 of which preceded every actual in-class exam). But the problem sets were designed to be done completely on your own. They were given near the weight of the in-class exams, and were done to actually help you out, since they were open-book. Because they were open-book, they were usually actually more difficult than the in-class exams, but if you worked your tail of, finishing one by yourself meant you could consider yourself prepared for the in-class exam.

She got help from upperclassmen chem/biochem majors with organic concentrations (one of which she was dating during org. chem I) on every problem set. I'm not saying she was the only one in the class that didn't follow these rules, but the honor code was taken fairly seriously at my school, and there weren't many. She was the only one I had direct knowledge of.

MrDreamWeaver said:
Damn, how did she pull that off? What type of cheating are we talking about?
Just curious.

Of course it's immoral, but it's really not that big of a deal...

I think a lot of people here are being very subtle in expressing their true intentions. My guess would be a lot of people are angry at the other pre-meds who are so damn cut-throat competitive that they won't share a simple answer or homework assignment with another student. Of course this situation is different, but perhaps they are generalizing.

I personally believe it's really not that big of a deal. A test is a freaking test. That's ALL it is. One simple measely little test. 40 or so questions that you have to bubble in. You're probably going to forget all the crap within a year anyway. Who gives a damn? There are better things in life than stressing about who is peeking over your shoulder. It's not that I condone or encourage cheating, I just think that things are blown out of proportion.

The former would only have a better chance if it was in the tone of "what I learned from the experience and why I wouldn't do it again," at least from me. Maybe it is because I work in a field where I have to sign documents on a regular basis that my signature or initials means I can be held accountable if there is something false or incorrectly interpreted in those documents - but I feel strongly on this issue.

I'm not saying she shouldn't approach the friend first about her actions, that's what friends do - be real with each other and don't support inappropriate behavior. Of course, this is all IMHO (as I said before), but if this individual has already failed this class before, and has to resort to cheating to pass it, they need to find another major/career path where they are not required to know that information.

I have been in that situation, and I sucked it up and took my C- in PChem (where I'm sure I got some "you tried really hard" points from the prof to bring me UP to that) instead of choosing to cheat. Plain and simple, it is WRONG to represent someone else's work as your own. Help each other on homework, study together, etc. That isn't cheating, it is mutually beneficial. But don't be someone that fears failure so much you can't accept your own limitations.

Apparition said:
You sign the honor code so that you can go to college. You can't go unless you sign. And I agree that integrity is importatn. But you have to retain your own values too, something the Nazis didn't do when they were reporting their friends for drinking foreign wine, for example. My loyalty is to a friend over a school. I can't believe someone could actually report a friend for something so lame. If I were on an admissions committee and there was a person with a cheating incident and a person who wrote a secondary essay about reporting a friend, the former would have a better chance with me.

MrDreamWeaver said:
I personally believe it's really not that big of a deal. A test is a freaking test. That's ALL it is. One simple measely little test.

In this case, it's not just one little test. To quote the OP:

OP said:
My friend told me that she got a C, the highest grade she's ever gotten in her 4 or 5 times (I lost count) of taking biochem.

From the sound of this, this person has resorted to cheating to pass this class.

This is ridiculous... Cheating is cheating and thats that... Where I went to school, you lived live on the honor code... It was so integrated that professors were not allowed to be in the room where you took your exam... during pop quizes, professors would hand them out and leave the room until they had all been turned in, further this meant you could take your exams anywhere you wanted... Nobody cheated, and believe me, if they did, it was the responsability of the student to turn themselves/friends in, no matter who they were. Integrity is everything (and that is not to belittle friendship). Frankly people who condone cheating as i have seen in some of these posts make me utterly thankful to know that I went to an institution where honesty and integrity was at the forefront of the experience. I sincerely hope that those of you who condone this type of behavior never wind up in an academic institution with me, and if you do, the that institution is clearly not a good judge of character nor the right place for me...

I agree. Thanks for being someone who isn't afraid to take a stand.

Highclimber said:
This is ridiculous... Cheating is cheating and thats that... Where I went to school, you lived live on the honor code... It was so integrated that professors were not allowed to be in the room where you took your exam... during pop quizes, professors would hand them out and leave the room until they had all been turned in, further this meant you could take your exams anywhere you wanted... Nobody cheated, and believe me, if they did, it was the responsability of the student to turn themselves/friends in, no matter who they were. Integrity is everything (and that is not to belittle friendship). Frankly people who condone cheating as i have seen in some of these posts make me utterly thankful to know that I went to an institution where honesty and integrity was at the forefront of the experience. I sincerely hope that those of you who condone this type of behavior never wind up in an academic institution with me, and if you do, the that institution is clearly not a good judge of character nor the right place for me...

Not to mention what the situation says about your friendship. My friends are people I respect highly, and I value them as people, advisers, confidantes - in addition to bar-hoppers and sky-divers. One of my friends cheats off me? I know they don't share my values or the emphasis I place on honesty, integrity, and hard work, and I reconsider that friendship, seriously.

My friends are struggling in a class we share? They are all great people, who would be able to tell me that upfront, and as I respect them, I would do all I can to help them out. None of this let-me-just-look-at-your-paper crap.

If Biochem is the last class she needs to graduate (with a B.S. in biology im assuming) then obviously she has had to have taken and passed several upper level biology courses fairly recently. If she has been able to pass all of those other classes then she certainly has the ability to pass biochem. It's not that hard of a class... alot of memorization, good understanding of organic chemistry, thats pretty much it from my experience. Well my point is she is LAZY. Forgive me if this is a different situation but I think the OP is the same person from a thread a few weeks ago where a guy was trying to help a girl study for Biochem (which she had repeatedly failed in the past). The girl showed up totally unprepared for their study sessions and expected the OP to teach her all of the material. Does this person deserve to pass the class??? NO!!! You would think she would get her **** together and find a way to pass the class on her own merit.

Another point, this is not about pre-meds being altruistic or holier-than-thou, its about morals. I, for one, think that college is about not only developing intellectualy but, more importantly, developing traits that are required in the real world (scruples,decision making, maturity). I am by no means perfect, I have made morally reprehensible decisions in the past and learned from them but that does not make those decisions ok.

If I were in your position I wouldn't turn my friend in but I would tell her that if it happened again I would have to. I wouldn't be able to blow my shot at med school for a so-called "friend". If she really were your friend she wouldn't have put you in the situation to begin with.

My first question is, how do you have a friend that is nearly failing while you are doing so well? If I was excelling in a class, and a friend was struggling, I would be studying with my friend, and helping him so he didn't have to cheat.

I would sit your friend down and say that you would absolutely not allow them to cheat off of you again, and threaten that if they do it again, you will report them. THEN tell them that you will be meeting them in the library on Thursday to start studying all the material that they don't understand so that s/he doesn't have to cheat next time.

Shredder said:

Man it is good to see some people on here who are not so anal. Alright she got a few answers off of your paper, big deal. As long as you do not cheat you will be fine.

Asherlauph said:
You know, this post really gets to me-- obviously, with as many times as I've replied... but here I am, still thinking about it! It amazes me how many people responding were OK with cheating.
I'm not a very black and white person-- there's always a justification for everything, but I'd always thought that generally speaking, people treated cheating as wrong.
I'm pretty appalled at how many people posted that it's okay. :confused: I guess I have always equated cheating with dishonesty-- and I'd personally be uncomfortable with a dishonest doctor... How do you (the cheating's okay'ers) justify that? Doesn't it make you feel guilty? Do you not think that cheating is wrong?

Read "The Cheating Culture" by David Callahan, if you want to get a good handle on the scope of this issue in America. Your views on cheating seem to be well in the minority, not only in this thread, but in America. It's a sad statement on our culture when the dominant attitude about dishonesty is ambivalence.

little_late_MD said:
Read "The Cheating Culture" by David Callahan, if you want to get a good handle on the scope of this issue in America. Your views on cheating seem to be well in the minority, not only in this thread, but in America. It's a sad statement on our culture when the dominant attitude about dishonesty is ambivalence.

I agree, it sucks that dishonesty is so widespread and accepted. But how about loyalty and friendship being practically extinct?

cheating is so 4th grade.
-mota

p.s. tell your friend to grow up

Things need to be put in perspective. So what, she got a couple of answers from you on a test. It happens ALL the time. You guys must be pretty good friends if she was willing to let you know about it, probably thinking that you wouldn't care. It's not that big of a deal. Everyone talking about turning their friends in and how serious this is are probably the same people that as kids were accused of being tattletales.

Apparition said:
I agree, it sucks that dishonesty is so widespread and accepted. But how about loyalty and friendship being practically extinct?

A loyal friend spends hours with you making sure that you know the material. A loyal friend is there to pick up the pieces if and when you fail. A loyal friend works hard to get it through your head that the only way you will achieve anything in life is to work for it.

I hate to be cliche, but you know the saying: give a man a fish.....

As far as possible I try to prevent people from seeing in my exam script. If it happens, so what. Everyone has to, at the end of the day look at themselves in the mirror and figure out what they are.
In the situation I would of told them
"see cheating never gets you anywhere...you got a C :laugh: " .

I would of been furious if they cheated off me and did better than I did....

tomorrowgirl99 said:
She comes later than me, so she sits next to me. Like I said before, the whole conversation was just really weird.

It's simple you have 3 choices and its up to you, what you will do.

1) Confront her, tell her its not ok to cheat, and like one poster said, tell her that you can help her study (which her being a cheater and not a hardworker, she probably won't appreciate).

2) She already cheated off you 4/5 times, what's one more time gonna do (But do be careful that if she gets caught she might take you down with her, people do stupid things when their back is against the wall). I once let my buddy get an idea for an assignment, b/c he had no clue. What did he do, he pretty much plagarized it with minor alterations. Subsequently, we both got in trouble, but since it was clear that he cheated off me, I got one grade taken down and he failed the assignment.

3) Pretend like nothing is going on and just come in late to class that day, and or sit next to some other people so that she can't get a seat next to you.

All in all it comes down to what kind of friendship you have with this girl and how important is it. If your friendship is based on her cheating off you, then you don't need a friend like that. If she is only your friend b/c she cheats off you and gets upset if you tell her no, then you should find another friend.

p.s. I was in a similar situation once, but the person never told me that they were cheating off me, other people did and it was obvious according to them. Also I wasn't really friends with this person, just acquaintances. I tried sitting away from the person when I could, when not I protected my answers and gave a strong statement that didn't want to get cheated off.

dinesh said:
As far as possible I try to prevent people from seeing in my exam script. If it happens, so what. Everyone has to, at the end of the day look at themselves in the mirror and figure out what they are.
In the situation I would of told them
"see cheating never gets you anywhere...you got a C :laugh: " .

I would of been furious if they cheated off me and did better than I did....

Yea but dont' forget, C's get degrees, F's don't!!!

Is there actually a debate going on here about whether it's wrong to cheat or not?

Wow. So much for those physicians holding themselves to a high standard of ethics.