Weird dental fears

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yggdrasila

designated whiner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have some fears about their future career as dentist that aren't the plain old, I won't make enough money, I can't pay off my loans, I won't get a job stuff.

I thought the guy in the dental forum that was scared of catching herp from patients was pretty interesting, never really thought about that...not sure what it would take either.

Anyway wanna share anyone?

I have 2 that I think are amusing...one is kinda gross and one is funny but I don't want to go first :)

Members don't see this ad.

I hate lurkers...

anyway okay so one of my fears/worries is how when dentist extract teeth right. You elevate a bit lala then you go in with some forceps wiggle wiggle whatever. So some of the dentists I've watched hold the patients head a little. What if when I do that, I accidentally rest my boob on the patient's nose/forehead or something.... embarrassing

Anyone have some fears about their future career as dentist that aren't the plain old, I won't make enough money, I can't pay off my loans, I won't get a job stuff.

I thought the guy in the dental forum that was scared of catching herp from patients was pretty interesting, never really thought about that...not sure what it would take either.

Anyway wanna share anyone?

I have 2 that I think are amusing...one is kinda gross and one is funny but I don't want to go first :)
As a tall individual who's also an ergonomics fanatic, I am somewhat worried about developing back problems later on after the many years of practice, especially after viewing this clip:
[YOUTUBE]gUfcflrOYio[/YOUTUBE]

Members don't see this ad :)
Only Koalafied ever plays with me. Predent forum sucks :( I'm just gonna live in the Pre allo from now on

Osteo surgery is so fascinating to watch like bone carpentry.

Damn that 13 year old is tall as hell.

I decided my second dental fear is too gross. It involves where patient heads are during treatment tho so yeah.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB1MDOZLhTE[/YOUTUBE]

Irrelevant to anything but this patient sounds like they're ****ting their pants omg they're so scared :(

Last edited:
Hey there
I think it's completely normal to have those fears. Those are not as bad as a fear of blood for doctor etc. My cousin was afraid of doing surgery, blood, even hospital scene, yet she's fine doing medicine. I say about a year, they will gradually fade away once you attend dental school and really know what you'll be doing :)

Hey there
I think it's completely normal to have those fears. Those are not as bad as a fear of blood for doctor etc. My cousin was afraid of doing surgery, blood, even hospital scene, yet she's fine doing medicine. I say about a year, they will gradually fade away once you attend dental school and really know what you'll be doing :)

NeilpatrickHarris-eyebrowraise.gif
Hmmm.....

This might be silly and/or stupid. But I have a fear of developing cancer due to prolonged expose to X-ray.

Lmao Koalafied

Hey Starnova I'm not actually all that worried about resting my titty on a patients head or them smelling period blood when I'm super heavy flow (tampons and birth control I got this) I'm just trying to draw out funny or interesting thoughts from other predents :) You're welcome to share.

This might be silly and/or stupid. But I have a fear of developing cancer due to prolonged expose to X-ray.

It is a little since your assistants will be taking most of the xrays lol. You'll only be taking xrays in dental school. You'll be A OKAY. I really want one of those radiation badges though I wonder I'm being exposed at all. Though I am careful to stand behind walls and all

Aww poor patient! Definitely freaking out.

I'm kind of afraid of back problems and hearing loss. And people trying to sue me. My dad's a doctor and he had to deal with a (bogus) lawsuit that totally drained him...he won, but still, it's a big fat pain.

I'm kind of afraid of back problems and hearing loss. And people trying to sue me. My dad's a doctor and he had to deal with a (bogus) lawsuit that totally drained him...he won, but still, it's a big fat pain.

Right omg how he jiggled her cheek, I don't think you're helping bro.

Woah hearing loss? I've heard of back and wrist problems but not hearing loss. Is that really common? Yeah angry patients are scary guhhh

Suing said:
[youtube]OFzCYKjbUR4[/youtube]
Plan B :D
Prudent judgment :thumbup: Predent judgment :thumbdown:

Last edited:
Back injuries are definitely my biggest one. Hell, my back already hurts from years of improper posture and straining my back during workouts. Dentists are also sick all the time from contracting colds and the flu from airborne bacteria. You can also get HIV/AIDS from treating a patient who has AIDS if you have a cut on your hand and your glove tears or has a small hole. You can also get ocular herpes. Not to mention your vision will get worse from the light reflecting off the patients' teeth and instruments and into your eyes.

Right omg how he jiggled her cheek, I don't think you're helping bro.

Woah hearing loss? I've heard of back and wrist problems but not hearing loss. Is that really common? Yeah angry patients are scary guhhh

I mean it's definitely a "thing" because of the drills and whatnot, but it's probably not too big of a deal for most people...plus they're coming out with drills that don't make as much noise. It runs in my family though so that's why I'm paranoid. My childhood dentist had to quit practicing because something happened to his hearing and the drills were too much for him.

Prudent judgment :thumbup: Predent judgment :thumbdown:

Fortunately I do not plan on being a ***** like the dentist mentioned in that video.

Back injuries are definitely my biggest one. Hell, my back already hurts from years of improper posture and straining my back during workouts. Dentists are also sick all the time from contracting colds and the flu from airborne bacteria. You can also get HIV/AIDS from treating a patient who has AIDS if you have a cut on your hand and your glove tears or has a small hole. You can also get ocular herpes. Not to mention your vision will get worse from the light reflecting off the patients' teeth and instruments and into your eyes.

I deff foresee back pain but I have plans for that. I've seen my boss get sick once since I started working and he somehow ended up at the same restaurant as me after work...okay "sick" HIV/AID's patients always put me on edge also hep anything. Needle sticks, get poked with an explorer that was all up in their blood...GUHHHH

Also ocular herp omg I didn't even think of that!!! PPEs man I like those full face shields bc I swear sometimes spray goes all over the place. My eyesight sucks rn anyway I'm tryna get lasik sometime.

tumblr_l5sc2iMkGD1qapr1bo1_500.jpg

business promotion ideas :laugh:

oooh that's a good one another one along that vein. Kid patient thrashing with local anesthesia needle in their mouth pokes themselves somewhere bad

oooh that's a good one another one along that vein. Kid patient thrashing with local anesthesia needle in their mouth pokes themselves somewhere bad

I totally WAS that patient, kinda. Was getting some work done a long time ago and I swear the drill stimulated a nerve somehow...quick reflex without thinking I gasp and jerk away, she totally could have sliced my lip. I think she nearly peed her pants.

I am deathly afraid of spontaneous dental hydroplosion... when your teeth turn to liquid and then drip down the back of your throat.

And also these other diseases...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNHOG1Kx6sc[/YOUTUBE]

I am deathly afraid of spontaneous dental hydroplosion... when your teeth turn to liquid and then drip down the back of your throat.

Ohhh if someone dreams of this after reading the post go ahead and add it to my dental dreams thread

I deff foresee back pain but I have plans for that. I've seen my boss get sick once since I started working and he somehow ended up at the same restaurant as me after work...okay "sick" HIV/AID's patients always put me on edge also hep anything. Needle sticks, get poked with an explorer that was all up in their blood...GUHHHH

Also ocular herp omg I didn't even think of that!!! PPEs man I like those full face shields bc I swear sometimes spray goes all over the place. My eyesight sucks rn anyway I'm tryna get lasik sometime.

tumblr_l5sc2iMkGD1qapr1bo1_500.jpg

business promotion ideas :laugh:

Haha...lasik eye surgery? And risk your career??? Despite ophthalmologists claiming nearly a 99% success rate, don't you think there's a reason why they, as well as optometrists, still wear contacts and glasses?

Back pain is a worry.
I'm also afraid of my hands shaking and slipping when trying to operate on someone.
Needle pokes and disease transmission...

Haha...lasik eye surgery? And risk your career??? Despite ophthalmologists claiming nearly a 99% success rate, don't you think there's a reason why they, as well as optometrists, still wear contacts and glasses?

I don't know that many people in the biz lol but one of my distant cousins is a ophthamologist I guess I'll ask her what she thinks.