Weird situation. Do I send a post-interview update letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theconfusedapplicant

Reaction score
Hello guys. A week or two ago I had an interview where I discussed recently starting my new scribing job during my gap year with my interviewer. When I mentioned this, my interviewer seemed kind of surprised and told me that if I was interviewing at other schools I should send them an update letter mentioning this because it was valuable information (I have pretty limited clinical experience). The only reason I didn't send any official update letter to other schools though was because I mentioned in pretty much all of my secondaries that I would be starting a full-time job as a scribe in September, so I thought the schools I was interviewing at would know this.

During my first few interviews I hadn't yet started the job, so I still told them I was starting soon or that I was in training. Some schools didn't even ask me what I was doing now during the interviews so I didn't even get to mention that I'd started (but I still mentioned in my secondary essays that I was set to start in September). Is it worth it or necessary to send all the schools I'd interviewed at (and will be interviewing at) an update letter stating that I'd started working?

Also, do I upload it to the portal (if available) or do I send an email to admissions?

Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

The beginning of something isn't usually a game changer but it is probably a low-risk letter and if it is concerning a perceived weakness in your application it might be worth the update. At worse, it does nothing. At best, it lets adcoms see you are continuing to try and get more experience.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@theconfusedapplicant LOI/update letters can never do harm, unless you send an excessive amount of updates

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I would disagree with that
1) as a prospective physician you should always be aware that any action can have both positive and negative impacts. I would never assume some action has zero impact in one direction or other
2) the negative impact I see with updates and especially LOIs is they can sound utterly desperate, almost child-like begging. And if you are on a WL with others, this could get you pushed aside.
3) as long as you write something both professionally and transparently (which your whole application should be) it should be fine. I would suggest that OP acknowledge in the letter while just starting this position, if current schedule is maintain, they would accumulate XX hours by July 31, 2021
4) get someone to proof read these letters

Thank you for your advice (and everyone else that replied too)!

In my current position then, would you suggest I even send an update? You gave me some great advice for writing it, but do you think I even should write it in the first place? As mentioned previously my clinical experience is kind of lacking, so that's why I'm sort of considering it.