Weird situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bullsfan1986

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a student at UIC. Unfortunately, I was declined by the UIC college of pharmacy after interview (I was not even wait listed). What is weird is that I have already gotten in to the University of Kentucky and UT-Memphis. I was kind of expecting to hear good news from UIC due to the fact that I am a Illinois resident, I have taken all my pre req courses at UIC, and because UK and UT are "ranked" higher than UIC. I know that I should be thankful that I got in somewhere, but I am bummed out and confused that UIC rejected me. On top of this, I emailed the admissions committee and they told me that I could make an appointment with a counselor after the 2nd week of May. Sorry for being long winded (and also sounding like a pouty bitch), but does anyone know exactly what UIC is looking for in an applicant? Any positive comments would be much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a student at UIC. Unfortunately, I was declined by the UIC college of pharmacy after interview (I was not even wait listed). What is weird is that I have already gotten in to the University of Kentucky and UT-Memphis. I was kind of expecting to hear good news from UIC due to the fact that I am a Illinois resident, I have taken all my pre req courses at UIC, and because UK and UT are "ranked" higher than UIC. I know that I should be thankful that I got in somewhere, but I am bummed out and confused that UIC rejected me. On top of this, I emailed the admissions committee and they told me that I could make an appointment with a counselor after the 2nd week of May. Sorry for being long winded (and also sounding like a pouty bitch), but does anyone know exactly what UIC is looking for in an applicant? Any positive comments would be much appreciated.

Sounds like you got into some good schools, so I wouldnt worry about it. But if you'd like to find out some details on why you didnt get into UIC, make that appointment. Most schools are pretty good about giving you feedback.

I'm not too sure that's a good question because UIC didn't even give me an interview. I got accepted to practically every other school that I applied to including: UofM, Wayne State, MCPHS, and Midwestern. I attend MSU and have a 3.5 gpa with a 79 composite pcat but also volunteer and pharmtech work. My friend just got accepted at UIC with a 4.0 at a cc, with a mid-high 80's Pcat and similar extracurriculars - he didn't get into Midwestern though. I live in Michigan and he's from Illinois. UIC might weigh the PCAT test scores heavily and like high gpa's or something.

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC does favor high PCATs. Their average is usually high 80's to low 90's. Some applicants with low scores are accepted, but not typically.

I dont know. My PCAT is in the 90's.

aww I'm sorry to hear that, honestly the admissions process is kind of confusing. I also have a friend that was placed on the alternate for MWU (no interview) but got one at UIC and was accepted. The only thing I can think of is maybe your interview or your essay wasn't what they were looking for. You sound like person with solid stats if you got into those other schools...so maybe something specific to your UIC application got you rejected. Let us know how things go for you, you might end up liking the other schools a lot more anyways...

bullsfan - i remember msging you about UK. i can't believe UIC didn't accept you!?! where are you going to go to school??

I'm not too sure that's a good question because UIC didn't even give me an interview. I got accepted to practically every other school that I applied to including: UofM, Wayne State, MCPHS, and Midwestern. I attend MSU and have a 3.5 gpa with a 79 composite pcat but also volunteer and pharmtech work. My friend just got accepted at UIC with a 4.0 at a cc, with a mid-high 80's Pcat and similar extracurriculars - he didn't get into Midwestern though. I live in Michigan and he's from Illinois. UIC might weigh the PCAT test scores heavily and like high gpa's or something.

Yeah, it actually happens quite often. Not every other applicant is like that,but it happens.