Welch Allyn or Heine Sigma B.I.O.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gigan988

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to decide between a Heine Sigma 150 B.I.O. with headband and a Welch Allyn B.I.O. The Welch is almost $400 cheaper, but has only a 60 minute battery life (vs 4 hours). The Welch also has apertures for small medium and large pupil size, versus only two settings for the Sigma. I am not particularly concerned about comfort; what I am asking is longevity of one system over another, optics, and overall quality of experience between the two units. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

How tall are you and how long are your arms? If you're taller than 6'2" you might want to go with the WA, because the working distance on the Heine's are shorter. If you prefer to have a bend in your elbow when doing BIO, go with the Heine. I personally feel the optics of the Heine is better.

Heine will tell you that their working distance is "about the same", but it really isn't.

hard to say, I'm 6'0 but I'm also a 67cm ret working distance; in this sense I doubt the Welch would be a problem. Thanks for mentioning a point I didn't think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think every OD student agonizes over this - its a rite of passage. I got a WA diagnostic kit, and wanted really badly to go 2 for 2 with WA, but I just liked the weight (lightness) of the Heine that I got. It wasn't the full-feature Heine - it was the light one. I wanted the WA name, but couldn't get my head past the (seemingly heavy) weight of WA.

Although I don't regret purchasing the Heine, now that I'm out and practicing - I'd go with the cheaper one, especially if it's markedly cheaper (as in 400 bucks). During rotations I practiced in a place that used WA, so I got used to it. Even out in practice, one of the places I worked use WA, so I ended up using it. Turns out, I have no issues with the WA (ultimately, my biggest objection - the weight - doesn't even matter), and in retrospect, I would go back and buy it just cause of the price. All this equipment is "good", so the only hurdles you really have in buying these items are in your (our) head. You'll end up getting used to whatever you buy.

As for battery life - once you're practicing you'll leave the unit plugged in the wall, so the battery life is not an issue.

For 400, I'd choose the cheaper one.

Thanks for the advice. I did end up going with the Welch. I bought the Heine DO and ret because I really liked the optics and control on the Heine DO, and the lifetime warranty with that Heine set, but they all get the job done.