Welcome to reality

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rsweeney

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, today was day one of orientation and man did we take in a lot of information. The student tour guides, faculty, and staff were very helpful and eased a lot of concerns--they are truly first class individuals! I must say that I am proud to be going to this school! The faculty could not emphasize enough how taxing the curriculum is going to be---ayeyaeyae, thanks a lot :scared: Nothing shocked me more than sitting at my pre-clinical lab station with my name all over everything---accountability baby! What an amazing, initially frightening, and energizing experience to be out of school working for a year and then BAMMMMB a new responsibity takes effect. Handling the instruments I will be using for four years for the first time is when reality really set in. I said to myself, "This is it, games on. No more waiting--ready or not." My ultimate worry is that I will be a slow learner in the laboratory. I can only pray that the lab professors will be patient and move at a learnable pace--basically I am concerned that I will constantly perceive that I am way behind while everyone else is way ahead. All I can do is try my best and try not to rush things or let my OCD tendencies take over--yeah right me not rush :scared: Next stop, Willy Wanka and the tooth paste factory on Friday :cool: I ABSOLUTELY cannot wait to be adjusted and fully oriented! That's all!

Richard

Members don't see this ad.

Cant wait. I'll be getting my dose of reality on the 31st.

Good stuff, I feel the same way. I'm ready to get into a routine, that's for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love seeing a new class come in. It makes me realize that I am one year closer to making money!

And by the way, orientation is NOT reality. That's where they treat you nicely and make sure you recognize how great your decision was to attend their school.

Reality comes later.

In my days we had orientation for 2 days (included a school sponsored Keg party the end of the first day :eek: :hardy: :wow: :clap: ) and then after the first full week of classes, the student government organization sponsored a "dis-orientation" party (this one typically had WAY, WAY more kegs, alcohol than the orientation party) :D

DrJeff said:
In my days we had orientation for 2 days (included a school sponsored Keg party the end of the first day :eek: :hardy: :wow: :clap: ) and then after the first full week of classes, the student government organization sponsored a "dis-orientation" party (this one typically had WAY, WAY more kegs, alcohol than the orientation party) :D
One thing I like about IUSD...most of the school-sponsored social events tend to involve large quantities of alcohol purchased at taxpayer expense :D

It?s comforting to hear you guys talk about your class' alcoholism. Our class went out last night after a white sox game, and let?s just says I?m struggling today. Good stuff, I'm sure we'll be doing that every Thursday night over the next four years ;) I was a little turned off during our orientation though, apparently we?re not allowed to get work done on ourselves at the school, no discount, no insurance coverage, etc. The faculty seemed a little appalled when one of my classmates brought this up!?! This isn?t the norm, is it?

Zurik5 said:
It?s comforting to hear you guys talk about your class' alcoholism. Our class went out last night after a white sox game, and let?s just says I?m struggling today. Good stuff, I'm sure we'll be doing that every Thursday night over the next four years ;) I was a little turned off during our orientation though, apparently we?re not allowed to get work done on ourselves at the school, no discount, no insurance coverage, etc. The faculty seemed a little appalled when one of my classmates brought this up!?! This isn?t the norm, is it?
I don't think your situation is the norm, but I'm not 100% sure. What I *am* sure of is that we get anything we want done either for free, or for exceptional discount on some specialty work (i.e., braces on both arches for $700). Further, the discount extends to immediate family as well, so Rachel will be covered starting next semester. Sounds like you're getting the shaft.

Zurik5 said:

Great to hear I'll be competing with a bunch of drunks and alcoholics. All of the sudden I feel less stressed and more optimistic about my future. :laugh:

BiteWing said:
Great to hear I'll be competing with a bunch of drunks and alcoholics. All of the sudden I feel less stressed and more optimistic about my future. :laugh:

Cool post :thumbup: Gunner..

Members don't see this ad :)
Zurik5 said:
It?s comforting to hear you guys talk about your class' alcoholism. Our class went out last night after a white sox game, and let?s just says I?m struggling today. Good stuff, I'm sure we'll be doing that every Thursday night over the next four years ;)

Wow. You're common.

rsweeney,

I had those same fears going in to lab and came out just fine... just don't ask the other third year Tar Heels on here, they'll lie and tell you much, much differently! ;) I think you'll find that while they're tough, and can be a real pain in your butt at times, the lab instructors do care about you succeeding and understand that you might struggle at first. And while it sounds bad to say this, chances are that you're not the 80th most skilled person in the class. Relax and enjoy these first few weeks at Brauer Hall -- they get tougher, and the trick is too not burn yourself out too much at the beginning. Listen to the upperclassmen, follow their advice, and bask in the glory of being a first year. Two years from now you'll look back and it will feel like yesterday!

rsweeney,

Despite UNCdentalguy's post in another thread about good looks (which he has none of :p ) he's pretty on the mark here. Sturdevant, Shugars, Bader, etc will be good to you in lab. Same with Levitch and Kernick..bend over backwards for you. In fact, most of your professors this semester will. Just don't be the anal new guy who has to be perfect in everything - it rarely happens even to the best. Besides, it's almost better if you don't cause then complacency doesn't set in. Do your best, but leave it at that. Know when to take a break and do something (anything) else. Most everyone seems to want a 4.0, 99 on boards and to specialize (or so they think when they start). I don't know too many people like that after a few years, though. So just enjoy it.

It does go fast, I promise! And Orientation really is nothing like the real thing...except for the Molina rant, but I hear y'all didn't get that this year. Unfortunate. Second year will come soon enough, though...

jpollei said:
rsweeney,

Despite UNCdentalguy's post in another thread about good looks (which he has none of :p ) he's pretty on the mark here. Sturdevant, Shugars, Bader, etc will be good to you in lab. Same with Levitch and Kernick..bend over backwards for you. In fact, most of your professors this semester will. Just don't be the anal new guy who has to be perfect in everything - it rarely happens even to the best. Besides, it's almost better if you don't cause then complacency doesn't set in. Do your best, but leave it at that. Know when to take a break and do something (anything) else. Most everyone seems to want a 4.0, 99 on boards and to specialize (or so they think when they start). I don't know too many people like that after a few years, though. So just enjoy it.

It does go fast, I promise! And Orientation really is nothing like the real thing...except for the Molina rant, but I hear y'all didn't get that this year. Unfortunate. Second year will come soon enough, though...
Rachel had a UIC-educated dentist come in to the bank today, and they talked briefly about where she came from (Chicago, obviously) and how I'm doing in school. When she heard I was a DS2, she apparently got an expression of pained sympathy on her face and asked Rachel to wish me good luck sticking it out.

You'll have to let us know how things go next year, Ryan. ;)

aphistis said:
Rachel had a UIC-educated dentist come in to the bank today, and they talked briefly about where she came from (Chicago, obviously) and how I'm doing in school. When she heard I was a DS2, she apparently got an expression of pained sympathy on her face and asked Rachel to wish me good luck sticking it out.

You'll have to let us know how things go next year, Ryan. ;)

Definitely Bill. I?m still pretty optimistic, so we?ll see how long it takes them to break my morale. I?ve already noticed the proverbial gunners in the class. Some people even took notes during a CPR lecture! My goal is to be the best golfer in our class, so I?m looking forward to putting some hard work in :cool:

ItsGavinC said:
Heh, "putting" some hard work in. :D
LOL, I knew someone would pick that up. How?s second year going Gavin, has your D1 class started yet?

hey Richard,

great to see you back buddy. i tried calling you several times but i guess your number has changed.

anyways, glad to see that you are finally in school and doing what you have been anticipating. i know that we predents were all so anxious so start school and then you start and as you put it "baaaaaaamb" you are hit hard. lol

we started school with ethics and dental history (loved it :laugh: )and next thing you know, we started head and neck anatomy, then dental materials, then molecular cell bio, then PBL (please don't ask me how i like it. :mad: ), then tooth morph. our school has this method of testing you biweekly. you go to all your classes and then on the 2nd Fri we get an exam that includes all your classes. 8-12 the exam and then 1-5 you lab. yes even on that Fri.
basically, we have no life and i don't even feel human anymore. i get to school at 7am and honestly i don't get home till like 8, 9, or 10 pm everyday. you study your asses and go to school walking like a zombie. i knew dental school was demanding but never thought it was this difficult. the one thing that i do like is that we do manage to somehow go out and still get drunk (of course after or biweeklies.)

anyways, good luck to you all.

PERFECT3435 said:
hey Richard,

great to see you back buddy. i tried calling you several times but i guess your number has changed.

anyways, glad to see that you are finally in school and doing what you have been anticipating. i know that we predents were all so anxious so start school and then you start and as you put it "baaaaaaamb" you are hit hard. lol

we started school with ethics and dental history (loved it :laugh: )and next thing you know, we started head and neck anatomy, then dental materials, then molecular cell bio, then PBL (please don't ask me how i like it. :mad: ), then tooth morph. our school has this method of testing you biweekly. you go to all your classes and then on the 2nd Fri we get an exam that includes all your classes. 8-12 the exam and then 1-5 you lab. yes even on that Fri.
basically, we have no life and i don't even feel human anymore. i get to school at 7am and honestly i don't get home till like 8, 9, or 10 pm everyday. you study your asses and go to school walking like a zombie. i knew dental school was demanding but never thought it was this difficult. the one thing that i do like is that we do manage to somehow go out and still get drunk (of course after or biweeklies.)

anyways, good luck to you all.
...uh...damn, Ahmad. I don't want to disparage the world-class study habits it sounds like you have in place, but you might consider taking a look at your routine and seeing if there's any fat you can cut out. If you're staying at the school till 10 PM now, I don't want to think about what you'll be doing as the year progresses! You'll hear this a ton, but it's true--school is a marathon, not a sprint. If you don't pace yourself, you're toast.

PERFECT3435 said:
i knew dental school was demanding but never thought it was this difficult.

I know that it varies from school to school, but typically dental school is only as difficult as you make it. And demanding doesn't always equal difficult. Listen to Bill's advice, he knows what he's talking about.

aphistis said:
...uh...damn, Ahmad. I don't want to disparage the world-class study habits it sounds like you have in place, but you might consider taking a look at your routine and seeing if there's any fat you can cut out. If you're staying at the school till 10 PM now, I don't want to think about what you'll be doing as the year progresses! You'll hear this a ton, but it's true--school is a marathon, not a sprint. If you don't pace yourself, you're toast.

well i don't really do the 7am-10pm routine everyday. i do it the week of the biweekly exam. i am by no means trying to get A's. i just wanna do as best as i could without killing myself. however, you really do have to put in that many hours when the biweekly exams get close.

Bill,

too bad the discipline for me kicks in the week of the biweekly only. lol
if i could somehow go over my notes daily, maybe i wouldn't have to cram it. but would i do that? no. lol

too lazy to do that after you had had a 8 hr day. lol

also wish me luck tomorrow. i have my first practical in dental morph. gotta wax up #8 in 2 hours.

By the end of next spring, you'll feel like a pro doing wax-ups. Now you're doing them just for the heck of it, but next semester you'll do it, and then use the waxup as the mold for the gold onlay and full crown you'll makes. That part's a lot more fun. :D Good luck tomorrow!

Zurik5 said:
LOL, I knew someone would pick that up. How?s second year going Gavin, has your D1 class started yet?

2nd year is awesome. We spend 35 hours in the simlab and 4-5 hours a week in lecture hall. I'm glad we got all of our didactic stuff out of the way last year, it makes for an intense year but a year focused solely on dentistry.

The D1 class has actually been going for over a month now, so they are getting into the thick of it.

This thread is awesome! Keeps me energized for the 2009 class :)

PERFECT3435 said:
basically, we have no life and i don't even feel human anymore. i get to school at 7am and honestly i don't get home till like 8, 9, or 10 pm everyday. you study your asses and go to school walking like a zombie. i knew dental school was demanding but never thought it was this difficult.

Man, this thread had me all excited to get started in three weeks till I read that. I still cant wait though :D

Can someone tell me what a "wax-up" of a tooth is? How do you make it?

A waxup is just where you take the stump of a tooth (a crown prep, basically) and put wax on it to recreate the complete natural crown. They're useful for learning dental anatomy, and they're also an intermediate step in the creation of inlays, onlays, or crowns.

Our D1's have their first tooth morphology practical today--a waxup of #9! :eek: Good luck, Ahmad (and anyone else reading this to whom it applies)!

aphistis said:
I don't think your situation is the norm, but I'm not 100% sure. What I *am* sure of is that we get anything we want done either for free, or for exceptional discount on some specialty work (i.e., braces on both arches for $700). Further, the discount extends to immediate family as well, so Rachel will be covered starting next semester. Sounds like you're getting the shaft.

Say 'hi' to Uncle Bill and the rest of the ortho crew from a former IU Orthodontic grad! :)

aphistis said:
Our D1's have their first tooth morphology practical today--a waxup of #9! :eek: Good luck, Ahmad (and anyone else reading this to whom it applies)!

well our wax uo of the central incisor went very well. i took my stuff home and practiced a couple of times. i am soooooo glad i did that. it took me about 1 1/2 hrs to finish. no bragging here, but i nailed it. LOL. ok thats GOOD.

here is the bad part. we just got our biweekly(toth morph, anatomy, molecular cell bio, PBL) exams back.
OUCH. most of us nailed the tooth morph part, and did ok on MCB. however, half of the class failed the anatomy part. yep. 1/2. i wish i had taken it more seriously. only good thing about anatomy is that we DONE with it next tue after our lab practical. can't wait to get anatomy out of the way and start histho.

PERFECT3435 said:
well our wax uo of the central incisor went very well. i took my stuff home and practiced a couple of times. i am soooooo glad i did that. it took me about 1 1/2 hrs to finish. no bragging here, but i nailed it. LOL. ok thats GOOD.

Congrats on your waxing practical. Those were some of my most stressful days first year, but then I never was an outstanding waxer.

Is there a "secret" to being good at waxing, or does it just naturally come to some ppl and not to others?

trypmo said:
Is there a "secret" to being good at waxing, or does it just naturally come to some ppl and not to others?

Practice, but of course some people are more gifted in hand-eye movements and are naturally better waxers.

Sounds kinda therapeutic. :) (Except when you're tested on it!)

Well....lets just say waxing is taking up ALOT of my time!! Is there any "secrets" out there for us beginners? Is it better to build up fast and carve.....or slowly build, carve, build, carve, etc?

I am thinking about starting a waxing strategies thread. Does anyone think that would be a good idea?

critterbug said:
Well....lets just say waxing is taking up ALOT of my time!! Is there any "secrets" out there for us beginners? Is it better to build up fast and carve.....or slowly build, carve, build, carve, etc?

I am thinking about starting a waxing strategies thread. Does anyone think that would be a good idea?

Waxing takes practice. There's no one universal best way, only what works best for you. I prefer to flow wax into correct anatomy rather than carve. It will take a few weeks before you may feel comfortable waxing. I still say that regardless of how prepared you are, wax up practicals along with gross anatomy practicals are always stressful.

what a ride the first week of lecture and lab has been. i feel like I've stepped into a whirl wind, and no matter how hard i keep pushing, things are still spinning too fast. like a lot of my classmates, i feel overwhelmed, but i do take some relief to know that every upperclassman i've talked felt the same way their first year.

i think admissions should give some serious thought to calling the program what it really is, a BOOTCAMP. i realize now that ill be spending every waking moment for the next 2 years learning, studying, or in some way thinking about dentistry. case in point: its sunday afternoon, and ive been up since 6am studying, and im now in the lab pouring molds!!

oh gosh, it can only be better on the other side :oops:

dntlqt
University of Maryland
Class of 2008

critterbug said:

you just have to keep practicing...

best advice i was given is to do what u are taught.

me
..i made cones for the cusps...and the 'hotdogs' for the ridges...built up a rough tooth...and then carved it down.

Hey dntlqt,

Do you know a Cody Calderwood? He just started at maryland as well.

trypmo said:

It is exactly as you put it. For some it comes easily and for others it is much more difficult. It IS something you can get better at, and the "secrets" are largely how you lay the wax, what tools you use, and your overall vision of the final product.

dntlqt said:
what a ride the first week of lecture and lab has been. i feel like I've stepped into a whirl wind, and no matter how hard i keep pushing, things are still spinning too fast. like a lot of my classmates, i feel overwhelmed, but i do take some relief to know that every upperclassman i've talked felt the same way their first year.

i think admissions should give some serious thought to calling the program what it really is, a BOOTCAMP. i realize now that ill be spending every waking moment for the next 2 years learning, studying, or in some way thinking about dentistry. case in point: its sunday afternoon, and ive been up since 6am studying, and im now in the lab pouring molds!!

dntlqt
University of Maryland
Class of 2008

hey bud,

don't stress yourself out too much. you are certainly right about how fast things come to you. i thought i was the onlyone who felt that way.

as for me, its 9.25 pm sunday and i just got back home after being in anatomy lab since 12pm. gotta be in school 8-5 tomorrow. get three hrs to wax up the 1st premolar then a whole night of anatomy lab again trying to prepare for the lab practical.

god dental school is so much fun.

ah to be in school again! :D

PERFECT3435 said:
hey bud,

don't stress yourself out too much. you are certainly right about how fast things come to you. i thought i was the onlyone who felt that way.

as for me, its 9.25 pm sunday and i just got back home after being in anatomy lab since 12pm. gotta be in school 8-5 tomorrow. get three hrs to wax up the 1st premolar then a whole night of anatomy lab again trying to prepare for the lab practical.

god dental school is so much fun.

And I almost forgot how bad 1st yr was. I feel for you dude. It gets better.

dntlqt said:

dntlqt
University of Maryland
Class of 2008
It can be tough at times, but coming from someone who's done both--trust me, dental school has nothing on boot camp. ;)

Also, just to reiterate a suggestion I've given to a few other people...if you really think you're going to be devoting every waking moment of your life to school the next two years, you're going to burn yourself to a cinder before Christmas. Repeat after me: "It's just school."