Well I can kiss dentistry goodbye...

Started by RachMSU
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

RachMSU

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well I just completely failed the DAT today and needless to say, I am STILL crying about it. As much as I hate to post my crappy low scores, I feel that I have hit rock bottom and don't know what else to do. So here's what I got:

AA: 16
PAT: 15
QR: 15
RC: 19
Bio: 15
GC: 16
Orgo: 17

I don't know what happened. I studied like crazy and thought I did MUCH better on orgo and math. I knew bio was going bad, I don't get it. What should I do? Sure I could retake it but look, I can't retake it until the very end of October and that's very late in the cycle. Everything just makes me so mad, I worked SOOOO hard and had everything planned out-schools should be getting my application this week (too bad they will just throw it away now).

I really would hate to give up but that's what I honestly feel like doing right now. I feel like nothing ever goes my way. And also, I suck at standarized tests. I bomed the ACT, took it again only to get the same score.

I really need all the advice I can get. I don't know how I could of studied more, maybe I need help on how to study. I had Topscore and did MUCH better on those tests. I just feel like the stupidest person on the planet and wonder if I even have a shot at dentistry.

For what it's worth my GPA is a 3.41 and sci gpa is 3.47. I applied to Detroit Mercy, UMich, Tufts, BU, NYU, Indiana, Temple, Creigton, Case, Ohio State, Nova, and ULousiville.
 
i think you being a little hard on your self. your score is a little below average. but with your gpa, i think you can prove to adcom that you don't test well under pressure...

i just took mines this morning and i thought it did way better on the math section too, i finished that section with 12 minutes leftover, i thought i aced that section becasue i knew almost all of them, i guess i was so afriad i might run out of time, so i rushed it. i probably made some careless error from rushing it.
 
Hey there~
Well, I know you are upset right now, so I will not try to cheer you up to no avail, but hey, like many have said before, the DAT does NOT determine your dental future. The DAT, while important, yes, is not a sole reflection of who are, your aptitude, your intellegence, or you ability to become a great dentist someday. Just look at this as just all the more reason to show those schools who you are, why you stand out in REAL LIFE (who cares about the numbers), and why they would be LUCKY to have you in their incoming dental class. Looks like you have plenty of schools to choose from...now, just put today behind you, it could always be worse---and believe me, I have total confidence that it will work out in the end for you....You sound like you are much too dedicated to this whole thing for it to get the best of you. Wait for the interviews, and show them you are worth a 30 on the DAT. 🙂 🙂 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, the DAT's might not be everything, but do you guys honestly even seeing my getting an interview before I retake it? I just don't see how that is possible when it seems most dental schools what at least an 18. I really do want to me a dentist, more than anything and yes, i do have the habit of being too hard on myself. It's just frustrating when I spent all summer stuyding only to do poorly.

Let me know what you guys think. These posts are helping me feel better!
 
well RachMSU,
i took my DAT in christmas and came out with the exact same scores as you did.16/15 i was very dissapointed too. but if you are as determined as me, its just a bump in the road, keep your head up , some how it will all work out, just put today behind you. i have had to re-study all summer and i took kaplan this summer and hopefully in about 10 days from now i wont be cursing myself again!
if you dont mind sharing with us, how was each section as far as types of questions and what to expect. what advice would you give to someone. also how did you do the reading?

thanks, and best of luck
 
Rach from MI:

Listen, since you have decent GPA, submit your AADSAS as you had planned this week or next week. In the application itself, there is a section where you can input when you will retake the DAT again. Simply select a date in October, November, heck even in December, it doesn't matter. What matter is that when dental schools receive your AADSAS application, they will know that your new DAT scores will be coming soon.

Now, some schools may wait for your new DAT scores to come in first before they invite you, some schools may even invite you for an interview before you even take your DAT, BUT not decide on your status until they see your new scores.

Either way, take a deep breath and submit your application. You're going to be fine! Retake the DAT and study differently, some how, some way! If you can increase your AA/PAT up to 18/18, you'll be fine. With your GPA, the following schools that you're applying to will look at you seriously if you have at least a 18/18 on your second DAT:

NYU
NOVA
BU
UDMercy
TUFTS
TEMPLE
UMich
Creighton
Case

Ohio State will be a tough one because it's a state school and it will be competitive. U Louisville, I have no idea! My take on this is that if you applied to 10 schools with your current DAT, maybe 1 or 2 school might invite you for an interview. If you get a 18/18 on your second DAT, you'll get at least 8 out of 10 schools inviting you for an interview.

Good luck and don't give up! 👍
 
Rach,
I would look into putting marquette in your list due to the fact that not much emphasis is placed on DAT scores. With your GPA you should be above some of the applicants and you scores aren't that bad...just my two cents! 🙂 keep your chin up, you'll do fine! 😉
 
I concur with everything Yah-E said...you need to retake the DAT, but October is not late, especially since the schools will already have your application....i would contact each school, tell them the story and inform them that you will be taking the DAT again, before they throw your application on the side...
 
Hey guys, thanks for the replies. I'm glad everyone else is having better luck with the DAT but it also makes me nervous. Does anyone have ExamKrackers I could buy? Also, any study tips? I thought I knew that Kaplan book inside and out-I went over it at least 6 times.

As far as my application goes, I submitted it June 24th so schools have my application now or should get it this week. Do any of you know of people that got interviews with such DAT scores?

I do feel better and now am pretty encouraged to go study like crazy (I just need to take a few days off). Everything seems to come to me slower than other people. I am always the one that studies twice as long as a friend only to get the same score. And now I worry about juggling my classes in the fall with studying.


Oh another great thing about all this: I get to face my dentist tomorrow and tell him my scores. He was expecting me to do awesome so this should be fun.

Thanks again guys!
 
I was just curious as to how you studied for the exam so that maybe I can tell you what I did that was different. Also, I would invest in the Kaplan course if you didn't. The classroom time is all well and good, but the subject tests are awesome, also, Topscore is another good tool( I'm sure you've heard all this crap before). Anyhow, tell me what your study schedule was like and what materials you used.
 
All I have to say is that I have met incredibly intelligent, open-minded and caring people who could talk politics and neuroanatomy like nobody's business but thwart their goals of being a doctor because of their lackluster performance on standardized tests.

And then I know other people who are extremely wealthy and can afford private tutors (and other expensive test prep) yet are the most unmotivated, undedicated, ignorant and untrustworthy people I have ever met. And a fairly high majority of these people, at least from my own experience, have gotten into medical and/or dental school.

So do us all a favor and don't get discouraged. 😍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hockeydentist said:
Why is it the rich get everything in this world!


HD :laugh:

yup, its sucks. i know people who got into dental and medical because of who their parents was or know of relatives on admission committee. my boss two sons just starting college, and pretty much they are already accepted to the dental school their dad went to. a lot of us here busting our butts studying hard where some people out there is just taking it easy, and getting what ever they want. yes its not fair, but the way i see it is if i work hard and succeed, and if i decide to have kids, i can pave the road for them and find the connections for them for their future. so somewhere down my generation, someone will get it easier than i did, unfortantely, its not me
 
Rach,

I work in tech support at ScholarWare and was reading the .net stuff. I'm also a dental student and actually do student interviews for incoming students.

Please don't get discouraged. You have a good GPA and the DAT is not the end. It certainly is a factor. Here are some specific things you may consider.

(If you don't get in this year) plan on taking a couple first year dental classes. Take Histology or biochem. Anatomy (if you have a cadavor). Make sure you get A's. Only A's Rach.

Take the TopScore Pro scope of exam (on the Start Menu under Preparing for the DAT menu) and create a note book with these topics outlined. Pay attention to the "*" topics. Cross reverence your notes with page numbers FROM YOUR COLLEGE TEXT BOOKS, not Kaplan. USE YOUR TEXT BOOKS and class notes. Create some study cards that you can review "in your free time". Keep some cards with you all the time. You'll be surprised how much free time you may have and how you'll be able to recal chem and ochem formulas and stuff.

On the CD has "7 Things You Need To Know To Get In" nearly all of these items can be followed by you still.

Don't get discouraged. Get your application in ASAP, like yesterday. If you are wait listed, you never know. One of my classmates was called on the first day of class and asked, "can you be here tomorrow". Of course he said yes.

Good luck.
Jason
ScholarWare, Inc.