Well Written Osteopathic Article

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

WishUponAStar

[This message has been edited by WishUponAStar (edited March 22, 2001).]

Members don't see this ad.

As quoted from the article: "osteopaths are in fact masters in the biomechanics of the human machine. "

It was informative, fair, and displayed osteopathy in a very positive light.

I was a bit dissapointed, however, that they focused solely on the physical aspect of osteopathy, ignoring the "mind-body-soul" components (and their connection to one another) that I have been told were all intricate parts of osteopathic medicine.

But, Wish, as you said in your above post, it does give a solid and well written background of osteopathy.

Thank you for sharing!!

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

Osteopaths masters of the biomechanics of the human machine?????
Hilarious...just hilarious.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am with you ewagner, ROLF!!!

Sorry, but it is not speaking about US trained DOs. By the way, I am acquainted with one of the authors personally, so I do indeed KNOW that they are not speaking about US trained DOs.

Interesting, but isn't Osteopathic Medicine unique to the United States? To the best of my knowledge there is no one practicing medicine with a DO degree who received that degree from a medical school outside the US.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by UHS2002:
I am with you ewagner, ROLF!!!

Sorry, but it is not speaking about US trained DOs. By the way, I am acquainted with one of the authors personally, so I do indeed KNOW that they are not speaking about US trained DOs.

How about an A.T. Still quote. I love this one. "We are engineers, not engine wipers."

------------------
Nothing doing.

Dcpayne,

osteopathy is not unique to the US, as there are Osteopathy schools in Europe and Australia. The DO degree granted in the US is UNIQUE, however, since the US is the only country where you are trained in osteopathic manipulative techniques(like our European and Australian counterparts) AND as a fully qualified physician. The authors of the book are trained in Europe and practice in Europe. They are not "fully qualified physicians" and their practice is limited to manipulative medicine. Their training is similar to the training chiros receive here in the US (although philosophically very different). DOs in the States are not trained in manipulative medicine to the same depth and extent that osteopaths overseas are, unless they choose to pursue additional training in Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment.