Wellness Program QI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mizzou_EM

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current resident in my program and thinking about my required QI project. I'd like to start a wellness program as we currently do not have one. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how you would start up such a program and then how to measure its success (if it is successful) lol.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a current resident in my program and thinking about my required QI project. I'd like to start a wellness program as we currently do not have one. Does anyone have any thoughts as to how you would start up such a program and then how to measure its success (if it is successful) lol.
Start by defining what measure you want to intervene on, find a validated tool for that measure (sleep quality, mood, substance use), and then pick some intervention that you think will produce a change. Do pre- and post- intervention measurements.

Reactions: 1 user

Advocate Christ has a wellness curriculum QI going, I believe. You could try reaching out to someone there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Advocate Christ has a wellness curriculum QI going, I believe. You could try reaching out to someone there.

That would be a great idea. You don't happen to have a contact email or anything do you?

No mandatory fun. The last thing I want to do is spend my free time with coworkers and bosses.

Start by defining what measure you want to intervene on, find a validated tool for that measure (sleep quality, mood, substance use), and then pick some intervention that you think will produce a change. Do pre- and post- intervention measurements.

I love this. Would add though that between deciding an outcome measure, don't forget to analyze why the gap in quality exists. This is the root cause analysis part and your intervention should flow from the analysis. One common framework is:
1. define the problem - create a strong aim statement
2. Measure the problem - outcome metric defined - input into aim statement
3. Analyze the problem - root cause analysis - may need to define process metrics
4. Intervene upon the problem - reanalyze the problem - re-intervene...etc until progress is made
5. Create a control plan - who is responsible, how often will the measure be checked, what happens if things fall out of control?

Someone recently told me the best way to get resident wellness.
It has nothing to do with pizza, massaging chairs, or lecture days outside.
Resident wellness is improved by not having to make 3 phone calls for every admission. Or having to call the lab on every patient. Or doing a ton of scut.
It's the same stuff we have problems with as attendings.

Reactions: 1 users