You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Wells Fargo Debt Cancellation
Started by Sparda29
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Oh Sparda, what have you done now? 🙄 What sort of debt did you have cancelled?
Yes, cancelled debt is taxable. Don't even think about ignoring it, because Wells Fargo would've sent a copy to the IRS so they will be looking for it on your tax return. If you don't declare it, the IRS will simply add it on themselves and recalculate your tax bill PLUS penalties and interest.
Read up about debt cancellation and Form 1099-C:
1099-C surprise: Canceled debt often taxable as income
Yes, cancelled debt is taxable. Don't even think about ignoring it, because Wells Fargo would've sent a copy to the IRS so they will be looking for it on your tax return. If you don't declare it, the IRS will simply add it on themselves and recalculate your tax bill PLUS penalties and interest.
Read up about debt cancellation and Form 1099-C:
1099-C surprise: Canceled debt often taxable as income
Does Wells Fargo contract with the Fed for student loans? I have mine through NelNet
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh Sparda, what have you done now? 🙄 What sort of debt did you have cancelled?
Yes, cancelled debt is taxable. Don't even think about ignoring it, because Wells Fargo would've sent a copy to the IRS so they will be looking for it on your tax return. If you don't declare it, the IRS will simply add it on themselves and recalculate your tax bill PLUS penalties and interest.
Read up about debt cancellation and Form 1099-C:
1099-C surprise: Canceled debt often taxable as income
Yeah, I got the 1099-C surprise form. Just filed my taxes and I owe about $14000 this year after deductions. The 1099-C form jacked up my income from $98k to $153k.
Yeah, I got the 1099-C surprise form. Just filed my taxes and I owe about $14000 this year after deductions. The 1099-C form jacked up my income from $98k to $153k.
How did you get WF to forgive your debt?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
How did you get WF to forgive your debt?
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Wasn't there a lawsuit or something last year?
Jesus, what did you do? Not pay a credit card or something and get it charged off?
1099-C from cancelled debt is taxable income.
If you're talking about the shadow accounts having been opened by WF, did YOU use the account and not pay or did someone else fraudulently use this account and stick you with the charged off balance? If this is fraud, you're gonna have to do a bunch of leg work (police reports, etc..) to get that 1099-C retracted.
Details man!
1099-C from cancelled debt is taxable income.
If you're talking about the shadow accounts having been opened by WF, did YOU use the account and not pay or did someone else fraudulently use this account and stick you with the charged off balance? If this is fraud, you're gonna have to do a bunch of leg work (police reports, etc..) to get that 1099-C retracted.
Details man!
This is wild
Jesus, what did you do? Not pay a credit card or something and get it charged off?
1099-C from cancelled debt is taxable income.
If you're talking about the shadow accounts having been opened by WF, did YOU use the account and not pay or did someone else fraudulently use this account and stick you with the charged off balance? If this is fraud, you're gonna have to do a bunch of leg work (police reports, etc..) to get that 1099-C retracted.
Details man!
It's not fraud. I think it's from nonpayment and they gave up trying to collect. (my credit score is ****)
Sparda, are you able to claim insolvency? That's the only way out. I don't know your financial situation but if all your debts exceed your assets you could get out of reporting the income (it reduces your basis in an asset like a house). I know someone who had short sale while in school so between all the student loans offsetting his retirement accounts he was technically insolvent on the day the loan was forgiven.
I used to watch "Nip / Tuck" and think wow, no matter how effed up my life gets it will never be THAT effed up. Now I have the same reaction from the glimpse into Sparda's life I get from these posts.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
D
deleted480308
You walked on >$50k?It's not fraud. I think it's from nonpayment and they gave up trying to collect. (my credit score is ****)
Don't you make pharmacist money?
You walked on >$50k?
Don't you make pharmacist money?
When you owe multiple loans to multiple companies, it can get out of hand.
D
deleted480308
Ibr/paye?When you owe multiple loans to multiple companies, it can get out of hand.
Or were these consumer loans?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So you got two options:
1) pay the IRS via a credit card
2) start a payment plan with the IRS, it's pretty easy...I think if you owe <$25k, you can just do it automatically online. Interest rates/penalties are reasonable as long as you do it by tomorrow (4/18).
Jack up your withholdings this year and they'll deduct any refund you get for 2017 and apply it to your balance.
You can walk from WF...but you can't walk from the Tax Man.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
1) pay the IRS via a credit card
2) start a payment plan with the IRS, it's pretty easy...I think if you owe <$25k, you can just do it automatically online. Interest rates/penalties are reasonable as long as you do it by tomorrow (4/18).
Jack up your withholdings this year and they'll deduct any refund you get for 2017 and apply it to your balance.
You can walk from WF...but you can't walk from the Tax Man.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
When you owe multiple loans to multiple companies, it can get out of hand.
Hahahah, aren't you the guy that was posting about the night life in NYC?
... Wait, how do you survive, even without loans, in NYC on $90k?
Hahahah, aren't you the guy that was posting about the night life in NYC?
... Wait, how do you survive, even without loans, in NYC on $90k?
It's easy when your roommates are Mom and Dad
Ibr/paye?
Or were these consumer loans?
Private loan from undergrad.
So you got two options:
1) pay the IRS via a credit card
2) start a payment plan with the IRS, it's pretty easy...I think if you owe <$25k, you can just do it automatically online. Interest rates/penalties are reasonable as long as you do it by tomorrow (4/18).
Jack up your withholdings this year and they'll deduct any refund you get for 2017 and apply it to your balance.
You can walk from WF...but you can't walk from the Tax Man.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Yep, I know that. It was just a big ass surprise to see a $3k refund disappear and be replaced by a $17k payment. I did donate a **** ton of clothes and toys this year so I got a little break via that. I'm just gonna set up a payment plan.
It's easy when your roommates are Mom and Dad
Mom, Dad, Grandpa*, Grandma*, Brother*, Sister*. Every time I bring up moving out I get the lecture about how I gotta stay and take care of the grandparents and how only a fool would go and get a place when there is a perfectly good 5 bedroom house to use.
How long does the credit hit last?
7 years?
Wow that's kinda long - but guess if you have a house and aren't moving and own your newer car, you should be fine.
Yeah, I'm definitely not moving now because my best friends moved into the neighborhood.
How long does the credit hit last?
Technically 7 years on report but the actual effects are pretty degraded by year 3, depending on the credit model used.
I've seen foreclosures trickle over the 700 mark by year 3.
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 3
- Views
- 6K
