we're down to the final mile May mcaters!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

max_poWER

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

I'm just wondering how people usually prep during the last couple of weeks before the mcat. I'm taking it May 11 and am finding it hard to focus, I've finished most of the practice tests online and am reviewing, but am feeling that I'm not being productive enough. Any suggestions on how I should spend my time before the big day?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I am taking my exam in May11 too.... I had gone throught all the material twice and now at the third time. Have been doing practice test everyday. I still feel unprepared. My exam grade from the GS exams are not very steady. Which makes me worry. But well, I am saving the AAMC exams(4-10) till the next week. I guess I will see how I score then.
Is anyone worry abt the writting? I am so worry... What if I cannot think of any example. I will be $crew. :( Everyone seems to think it is not important at all.. Is it true?

The end is so close, it is somewhat scary and overwhelming at times. However, just like when running a race, when you see the finish line it is time to unleash everything you have left.

I'm running through every practice question I can get my hands on. By the end of next week, I shall have gone through all AAMCs, all kaplan section tests, and most likely about 6 kaplan full lengths. As for the essays, I would definitely suggest you start doing a little research on possible topics. If nothing else, make sure you set aside an hour or two every day until may 11th to watch the history channel (this seems to work amazingly well for me).
The essays themselves are formulaic, and you needn't be ashamed to write in such a rigid manner.

Paragraph 1: introduce the topic by means of example, expound upon how the example relates to the prompt and thus what the prompt means

Paragraph 2: "However, suchandsuch isn't always the case blah blah blah."
Talk about a counter example, making sure to stick only to RELEVANT details (no need to give a complete history of anything).

Paragraph 3: Compare and contrast paragraphs 1 and 2, highlighting why the prompt applies to the first and not the second.

Stick with the formula, have a halfway decent example, and you can easily land a 6 on an essay.

Im taking it may 31st and aren't really focused yet. school will be over 2nd week of may so that'll give me a solid 2 weeks of NOTHING to do but study, study, study...like 10 hrs/day : )

Members don't see this ad :)
Im taking it may 31st and aren't really focused yet. school will be over 2nd week of may so that'll give me a solid 2 weeks of NOTHING to do but study, study, study...like 10 hrs/day : )

Same with me except I have to work full time. :/

I'm taking it May 11th, and am pretty much burned out. I've been on-and-off studying for the past semester or two, in addition to taking some of the courses that are on the MCAT (general bio II, orgo I and II, physics I). I've listened to Audio Osmosis every morning at the gym for the past five months. I'm done with all the AAMC practice tests, and am scoring in the low-30 range. I plan on finishing finals this week, touring two med schools Thursday and Friday, content reviewing next week, then rocking out the MCAT next Friday.

Finally.

wow i am just realizing how close this test it. those of us taking it on may 11th are next. i feel like a little kid at the front of the line to ride the big roller coaster. it's too late to chicken out but i might barf on myself or scream.... :scared:

I want to cry.

I'm taking it May 11th. This week is my last full week of classes, which makes next week finals week. I'm not at all worried about the BS section, since I've studied most of it through my science classes this semester. I'm really worried about the PS, and kinda worried about the verbal too. I took the CBT 3 today, and scored a LOT higher (7 points) than I have been on the Gold Standard practice exams, but I haven't taken any other AAMC tests to compare. I'm really worried that my score won't cut it for to get my major LOR (he requires a 27 to write a LOR), even though I started studying confident that I could make a 30.

I'm taking about 1 practice exam per day, and going through as many of the EK 101 passages as possible. I'm also starting to listen to AO in hopes that something will click, especially in Physics and Chemistry.

For some reason I just feel numb. I don't feel scared. I felt scared a few weeks ago when my friend took the test because I knew it would be my turn next. Now I just want to do it and get it over with.

I'm right there with all of you. I'm taking it on the 11th and I have finals this week. The good thing is my finals are in organic II, bio II and physics II so I can just count that as extra prep ;). I am having a hard time staying focused though. I'm getting around 33-36 on my practice tests but I'm saving AAMC 9-10 and a few more Kaplans for next week. I plan on taking a practice test on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday and then taking Thursday off. An MD friend of mine told me the best advice he got for preparing for the MCAT was to tell yourself you are going to do well every night before you go to sleep. I'm convinced that a big part of being successful on this test is remaining calm.