West Coast SMP's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CMar830

Southerner til 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any west coast SMP's that aren't specifically for disadvantaged applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

CMar830 said:
Any west coast SMP's that aren't specifically for disadvantaged applicants?

i really dont think so though i so wish there were :(
but hey going to the east coast for a year will only make you a more versatile person...you never know where you'll end up for residency, right?

fightingon said:
but hey going to the east coast for a year will only make you a more versatile person...you never know where you'll end up for residency, right?

ucla re-applicant prog seems good, i dont know if its for disadv

Members don't see this ad :)
madonna said:
ucla re-applicant prog seems good, i dont know if its for disadv

It is. All of the UCs are. But that doesn't mean you can't try for them, OP. But I also don't think they're classified as SMPs.

fightingon said:

I 100% agree -- I was born in upstate NY, moved to California when I was 6, went to college in Philly, and now I'm back home in San Francisco. So I'm not one of those people who doesn't like change. I love it, actually! However, knowing that med school could take me anywhere (and no doubt I will be willing to go anywhere), I would just love to spend the next year near my family again, if at all possible.

UCLA, UCSF, UCI, UCSD, USC (and probably others) all have post-bacc programs for minority and socioeconomically disadvantaged students. These aren't degree-granting programs, but they are specifically designed to help you get into medical school and from what I understand they are all top-notch.

Now if only I were a minority, or socioeconomically disadvantaged I could stay here and wouldn't have to move across country. :mad:

Also, I belive CSUF has a 1-yr bio masters program if you were looking for a degree-granting, but don't quote me on that.

Lastly, check out http://services.aamc.org/postbac/ which lets you search by criteria that you're looking for.

i talked to a woman in the ucla re-applicant prog, completion in good standing = guaranteed interview in ucla