West Penn Allegheny

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by hahmth, Nov 13, 2002.

1. hahmth

hahmth Junior Member

Does anyone know anything at all about this residency program or has anyone interviewed there yet? Any info on it would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks...

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. hahmth

hahmth Junior Member

Bump...OldManDave? Do you know anything about this program? I think I remember you saying you had been offered an interview there...did you go?

4. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Here's what I know...yes, I was offered an interview at Western Penn, but have not managed to secure a date, will cover that later...allegedly, Allegheny & West Penn are combining programs. A large can 'O' worms, politics & money -- but West Penn has applied to take over the slots in Allegheny's program. I have both heard that the request has been approved and that it was still pending -- both of these sources were allegedly "in the know".

Due to the large number of slots in the now single program, they are conducting large volume interviews, this from a girl I met who was on a clerkship at West Penn. To conserve pinching on the staff's time, they are interviewing large numbers of folks on Saturdays, as in 40 to 50+.

For me, the problem has been that when ever they forward me a date, they only offer a single date & not a selection of dates as has every other single program. Furthermore, every date they have offered has conflicted with another interview that I was not willing to sacrifice. Honestly, this late in the game, I do not anticipate them being able to accommodate me. This is rather dissappointing as I knew two people who have done clerkships there -- both of them had nothing but accolades of praise about the program.