Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by dhama00, Dec 27, 2008.
Can anyone tell me if they know anything about this residency program?
I heard from another PD that they're having financial difficulty. Anyone here can confirm this, or how severe it is?
Man, are there still people out there who don't know how to use Google?
I'm a CA-2 at WPH. There have been some financial problems system wide, but the old administration has been dismissed and new leadership has been established. The new CEO is a physician and supposedly a big advocate of residency training programs.
Otherwise...here are some highlights
- Chairman/PD is a well known cardiac anesthesiologist
- the RRC visited last spring and the program has been accredited for another 5 or 7 years
- the program has been approved for an increase of residents from 24-33
- Great, benign environment for residents
- great caseload exposure
- schedule usually involves working ~60hrs/wk or less
- 4-5 calls per month (either 24 hr OB coverage as a CA-1 or 16hr OR coverage as a senior resident beginning at 3pm)
- ample opportunity for prestigous fellowships secondary to no. 1 above
- much more...
Overall, its not a well known program across the country, but it a fantastic program with a wonderful working environment, great training, and supercool residents.
Hope this helps...PM with specific questions
I think what gets lost is the residency is actually the West Penn and Allegheny Hospital anesthesia program. There are also more hospitals in the system so even if one of their hospitals closed you would be shifted to the other but I doubt they would be able to close since they are pretty much the only game in town other then UPITT
do you know if your program is US-IMG friendly? Have you had any IMGs interview this year?
thanks in advance for your reply.
i met chris troianos when he was at mercy
he is a great dude and i think he is the chair of west penn now.
There are some US-IMGs in the program. It seems like most of the applicants are US grads, but some IMGs with great board scores too.
thank you very much for the reply.