West Virginia University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitkat06

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
To those of you who are attending/have attended or visited/interviewed at West Virginia University, what are your impressions of the pharmacy program, location, student life there, etc? What are some things that you didn't liek about WVU? Would you recommend this institution?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I go to school like 30 min away from WVU. Well I will tell you morgantown is a party town (WVU was rated one of the top party school in the nation). Some of my friends go to the school of pharmacy. The town is kinda small. A lot of hill and mountains. The school of pharmacy is not that bad. They have a good hospital that can help you with the rotation and stuff. If you are from a big city you will hate morgantown first and then will come to like it. The school is kind of spread and some parts are on construction.

To those of you who are attending/have attended or visited/interviewed at West Virginia University, what are your impressions of the pharmacy program, location, student life there, etc? What are some things that you didn't liek about WVU? Would you recommend this institution?

Thanks

The pharmacy program is a pharmacy program. They are like American-Chinese Restraunts. You'll get a variety of General Tso's chicken anywhere...and none of them are really that special. Well, with Rx schools you'll learn the same crap at any of them. The faculty is helpful and talented, it's possible to do rotations primarily in the Motown area. That's all I really cared about and they delivered.

WVU does have the rep as a "party school." It's so much of a party down in the Sunnyside borough of town that WVU was top 5 of that listing the Princeton Review puts out ranking party schools EVERY F'N YEAR for like a bazillions years straight. Then WVU sued them wanting to no longer be listed because it was destroying their rep...probably rightfully so. The **** you see in Hollywood college movies ain't **** compared to some of the **** I've seen in my 4 years here. But that's not to say you can't study. If you live uptown near the hospital, you'll get into an apartment complex with other health science majors and it's quiet and more "grown-up".

If you want to really get a college experience...the house parties, awesome football games in the fall, and the unique mixture of people from all over converging in one place, you'll like WVU and the downtown area. The two halves of the town really cater to one or the other type of student.

If you get a hankering to go to a city, Pittsburgh is a short drive up I-79. In fact, some people consider Morgantown a suburb of Pittsburgh. (I don't...)

Morgantown is a quaint little place that I love. If it wasn't for the fact that I hate snow, I'd try to stay here forever. Hell, if I get the right job up here, I might just stay forever.

It's also growing really, really f'n fast. The city will probably double in population by 2015 or so. The gov't is setting up thousands of new research jobs in town though Niosh...I think..I could be wrong about the agency.

It's been ranked highly on those stupid "best small towns to live in" lists because..well...I guess it really does have it all. Access to a major city is a plus to most. Almost zero crime...you can walk down High Street downtown at 4AM and feel perfectly safe. The existence of pepperoni rolls is a plus. It's one of only a handful of sites in the nation with both a level 1 pediatric and adult trauma center. The job market is insane. There are too many jobs and way not enough people to work them. They need to send us some damned immigrants that want an American job, for real.

Here's a blurb from World66.com written by a professional of some sort:
Morgantown is the home of West Virginia University and a quintessential university town. Visit Morgantown (or Mo'town to most of the locals) in the summer and you'll find there are many things keeping locals and university students busy. During the fall semester you'll be pleasantly surprised by the quasi-bohemian atmosphere and extensive nightlife that most university students take part in. Many locals love the nightlife of some of the region's best restaurants.

West Virginia University constructed a unique form of public transportation called the PRT (Personal Rapid Transportation) to connect the main campus to its satellite. The PRT is of particular interest to those who admire futuristic machines and urban planning. The PRT has fell on some hard times lately. Lots of breakdowns and mechanical problems have plagued the PRT for years as well as with rising fuel costs the PRT is not meeting the needs of the locals and the students as the PRT has 5 stops none near any shopping districts or much public parking.

Both the University and the city are reluctant to bring the PRT to new parts of the ever growing city thats plauged with traffic problems and incidents of pedestrians being hit by vehicles on streets. PRT is also being used at the Dallas/Forthworth airport commercially where the idea and development started at WVU.

While in the area, visit Coopers Rock State Forest to the east of town on I-68 for a breathtaking view of the hills and valleys below; Cheat Lake is fast becoming a favorite recreation area for city dwellers.

Some suggested places to go are the Cinemagic Warner Theater, which holds second-run movies, Pinocchio's Books & Toys, and the Old Stone House, a very historic house right in the downtown area, shop the new University Town Centre with its ever expanding number of shops and places to eat (Hollywood Theaters 12 opens in Novemeber 2005, Olive Garden, T.G.I. Fridays, Cheddars, Red Lobster, Goody's, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart Supercenter are coming soon).

Want more specifics, feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
great to hear. i am going there for an interview in march :)

my interview is 3/30 at 1pm

It seems there aren't that many ppl around this forum that knows about WVU. IMO, WVUPHarm and a few other ppl are most helpful in filliing that gap though.

When is everyone going there for an interview there?

I am going on the 13'th and going to drive all the way from DC-if any of you guys are from DC and are traveling on the same date we might want to talk about travel plans-if you wish.

I like the school. I think it is the best!

Marco.

I have an interview there on the 10th. Don't know what to expect to be honest.