West Virginia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rangardrum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did anyone else get the supplementary application link today?

Also I was wondering if it's possible to qualify for in-state tuition in the state of West Virginia after the first year if you take steps to establish the state as your permanent address.

The difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition is around $20k a year ($11,872 for residents and $31,361 for non-residents)!

Members don't see this ad.

I received the supplemental application request as well. I have no idea about the instate tuition. I am also from out of state and I would assume that if you have lived in the state for 1 year then you can then qualify as in state but I am not 100% sure. Do you know if they asked all applicants to send in the supplemental application or how that worked?

I received the supplemental application request as well. I have no idea about the instate tuition. I am also from out of state and I would assume that if you have lived in the state for 1 year then you can then qualify as in state but I am not 100% sure. Do you know if they asked all applicants to send in the supplemental application or how that worked?

It's hard to imagine not qualifying for in-state tuition if you live in the state for a year (with it being your permanent address and whatnot). It's something worth checking out before making a decision though. I don't know if all applicants were asked to send the supplementary materials.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing yet here?! I remember adding up the dates and I know the supplemental fee and application were due by the 3rd of January and they said we should hear within 14 days after that, which would be the 17th, tomorrow. So, I am hoping to hear back then!! But I know their plan was for all the applicants that have applied in the earlier cycle should hear back before the next deadline which is sometime at the end of this month!! Hope this is the cas!!!

Nothing yet here?! I remember adding up the dates and I know the supplemental fee and application were due by the 3rd of January and they said we should hear within 14 days after that, which would be the 17th, tomorrow. So, I am hoping to hear back then!! But I know their plan was for all the applicants that have applied in the earlier cycle should hear back before the next deadline which is sometime at the end of this month!! Hope this is the cas!!!

Interesting. How did you find out we should hear back within 14 days after the early January due date?

I didn't know there would be a second deadline for more applicants. Perhaps additional people are about to be sent instructions for the supplementary fee/application with a 14-day deadline.

I received my supplemental email Nov 22nd, but I haven't heard anything yet either. So not sure then if the 14 day rule applies or if there is just a set date they'll let all the first deadline applicants know?

Well, the 14 days was in the email for the supplemental materials to be postmarked. I was rereading the letter and I had misread it the first time. However, there is a second "late" deadline but we are supposed to hear back before those students hear back to send in supplemental materials. Still no news here though.

Acceptance letter received in mail today.

I received my acceptance letter today also.

I also received an acceptance letter today! Definitely was a little surprised considering they give preference to WV residents. I would be an out of state resident, but I'm curious to know if there is the opportunity to apply for in state residency after the 1st year? Wonder if that is a fairly easy process? That definitely would definitely be something to consider in deciding where to attend, saving money for the 2nd and 3rd years would be nice!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also received an acceptance letter today! Definitely was a little surprised considering they give preference to WV residents. I would be an out of state resident, but I'm curious to know if there is the opportunity to apply for in state residency after the 1st year? Wonder if that is a fairly easy process? That definitely would definitely be something to consider in deciding where to attend, saving money for the 2nd and 3rd years would be nice!

Yeah, the in-state tuition is dramatically cheaper than OOS tuition. You can probably confirm how to get in-state status going into Year 2 with their financial aid dept.

Each state seems to have different rules and regulations to In-state tuition. I can not say from experience but according to a WVU site, it says you must go through a residency reclassification process. I found a great website that shows different school polices

http://www.finaid.org/otheraid/stateresidency.phtml

Congratulations!! Will you be attending WVU?

Actually I don't know now. I haven't officially declined yet. Yesterday I got a scholarship offer, and it's making me reconsider yet again. Aaaah, this is tough!

http://wvhepcdoc.wvnet.edu/resources/133-25.pdf

According to the above, it looks like it's pretty difficult to get residency status in West Virginia, even if you've lived there 12 months, if you're primarily living there because you're a full-time student. See below.

West Virginia domicile may be established upon the completion of at least twelve (12) months of continued presence within the state prior to the date of registration: Provided, That such twelve (12) months' presence is not primarily for the purpose of attendance at any institution of higher education in West Virginia. Establishment of West Virginia domicile with less than twelve (12) months' presence prior to the date of registration must be supported by evidence of positive and unequivocal action. In determining domicile, institutional officials should give consideration to such factors as the ownership or lease of a permanently occupied home in West Virginia, full-time employment within the state, paying West Virginia property tax, filing West Virginia income tax returns, registering of motor vehicles in West Virginia, possessing a valid West Virginia driver's license, and marriage to a person already domiciled in West Virginia. Proof of a number of these actions shall be considered only as evidence which may be used in determining whether or not a domicile has been established. Factors militating against the establishment of West Virginia domicile might include such considerations as the student not being self-supporting, being claimed as a dependent on federal or state income tax returns or on the parents' health insurance policy if the parents reside out of state, receiving financial assistance from state student aid programs in other states, and leaving the state when school is not in session.

Hmm... any West Virginians want to marry me?? :biglove:

Hey guys!! Any new updates on WVU? I still haven't heard anything but I did make a phone call to them and when they returned my call Brenda Wolfe said that they should be sending out all letters waitlist/denied/acceptance by the end of the month. They only sent out first round acceptances earlier. She said they have had a lot of people reject their acceptance letters already. My fingers are crossed!!!!

Hey guys!! Any new updates on WVU? I still haven't heard anything but I did make a phone call to them and when they returned my call Brenda Wolfe said that they should be sending out all letters waitlist/denied/acceptance by the end of the month. They only sent out first round acceptances earlier. She said they have had a lot of people reject their acceptance letters already. My fingers are crossed!!!!

I was one of the rejections. Good luck!!!

I had originally accepted my offer and sent in my deposit, but will be sending in a letter to get my deposit back since I will be attending another school. I konw of one other person who was accepted and declined so there is another spot opening up.

idk that you get your deposit back JPH2011, most schools make them nonrefundable whether you end up attending or declining your spot.

idk that you get your deposit back JPH2011, most schools make them nonrefundable whether you end up attending or declining your spot.

WVU actually refunds you with a written request. Yeah, surprising!

It was an $800 deposit that is fully refundable if we send in a written letter by April 1st

That would be freakin hilarious...just send you back a letter that says "Sike!! April Fool's..."