Western Accreditation, any Updates?

Started by Karlee83
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Karlee83

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was wondering if anyone had heard any news about Western's accreditation yet? I know that they were suppose to be reviewed this month (March 2009), but I haven't heard anything. Any news?
 
Sorry haven't heard any news. But I do know that no matter what happens, if you were accepted for this cycle and you enter, you will graduate from an AVMA accredited school, even if they lose accrediation while your there (which I highly doubt would happen).

The only real difference anyway would be having to take an equivalency exam. Which don't get me wrong is an expensive pain in the butt, but that won't happen anyway if you enter for class of 2013 again.

If anyone has other info I'd love to hear. In the meanwhile, hope this helps, as long as your in now you will graduate as if the school is accredited.
 
Yes. I was just accepted into the class of 2013. However, you have me a bit confused. If hypothetically, the school loses accreditation will I still have to take the equivalency exam even though I was accepted when it was accredited?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope.no equivalency exam for you! Its called being" grandfathered in." Basically you are all good! Even if the school somehow manages to lose its accredidation you will graduate as if it was accredited and you will NOT have to take an equivelancy exam.

Hope that was a little clearer?
 
How does the western process work? I know they are on limited accreditation so what steps do graduating students need to take to obtain a license to practice?
 
The same exact steps as any other AVMA accredited school. Even though the status is "limited" accredidation they are by all mean for our purposes accredited. Limited just means they will be reviewed again soon to make sure everything is still on par if not better.
 
Ok the last e-mail we received (current students) was back in March of 2008.... it sayed that there were three things to fix or change the ones I remember were increase faculty size, something with safety of something, and the other thing was increase the amount of student and faculty research.... which faculty is being hired all the time, and research is being done by all faculty members... the other one I don't remember what it was... but the next visit is not until May of 2012. So there will most likely be no additional updates until that point. The accredation status is listed somewhere on the western website, and I think it has the exact letter that was sent out to us...but not sure on that.

You graduate Western as if it was any other AVMA accredited school... all students fall under the umbrella.... and we also just got an e-mail saying that the 2009 class that took the NVLE was up to 86% passing on the first try..... the average across the AVMA schools is around 90% so Western is getting better and better every year!
 
I knew they were suppose to vote on it and Mexico University, so I had wondered if it had occured...the Mexico U. one has a lot of vets up in arms and calling for the accreditation system to be re-evaluated.
 
I knew they were suppose to vote on it and Mexico University, so I had wondered if it had occured...the Mexico U. one has a lot of vets up in arms and calling for the accreditation system to be re-evaluated.

What is the controversy surrounding the program in Mexico?
 
What is the controversy surrounding the program in Mexico?

They controversy is that Banfield built their teaching hospital and the education there is free for Mexican citizens. So if the school gets AVMA accreditation then there is really nothing stopping Banfield from pulling the 100's of debt free vets who graduate there a year to come work in the US.

Its going to affect the new grad work force if we find ourselves trying to compete with hundreds of mexican graduates with no debt willing to work for much less money.
 
They controversy is that Banfield built their teaching hospital and the education there is free for Mexican citizens. So if the school gets AVMA accreditation then there is really nothing stopping Banfield from pulling the 100's of debt free vets who graduate there a year to come work in the US.

Its going to affect the new grad work force if we find ourselves trying to compete with hundreds of mexican graduates with no debt willing to work for much less money.

Ah! Yes. That would be troublesome. Would a Californian such as myself be capable of enrolling at UnAM as well? Los Angeles is virtually Mexico, no?
 
Ah! Yes. That would be troublesome. Would a Californian such as myself be capable of enrolling at UnAM as well? Los Angeles is virtually Mexico, no?

there's been no word from the AVMA about the UNAM accreditation--they are "preparing a statement." So--we don't even know if they will be accredited, let alone the admission policies/tuition charge for international/US students.

Also keep in mind that the 300 vets a year they graduate would be about 10% of all US-trained veterinary graduates per year, not including those US grads from Carribean schools coming home and/or US students who completed their education at an international AVMA-accredited school--and assuming that all 300 of those graduates are both a) able to pass the NAVLE and b) want to come to the US.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
there's been no word from the AVMA about the UNAM accreditation--they are "preparing a statement." So--we don't even know if they will be accredited, let alone the admission policies/tuition charge for international/US students.

Also keep in mind that the 300 vets a year they graduate would be about 10% of all US-trained veterinary graduates per year, not including those US grads from Carribean schools coming home and/or US students who completed their education at an international AVMA-accredited school--and assuming that all 300 of those graduates are both a) able to pass the NAVLE and b) want to come to the US.

So I can't become a Mexican citizen and get me some free schooling? 😡