supershorty
Don't look so vexed, toots.
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Nice! Did you receive an interview last time you applied? Where else are you applying?I am a second time applicant IS applying! My best friend goes to western and loves it, so it is my #1 likely
I did not get an interview last year. I had less than 200 vet hours so I think that played a part. This year I have over 1000 so I’m really hoping for an interview! I’m applying almost everywhere I can tbh, but western might be my top choice. I’m also applying to Davis, Colorado, Oregon, Washington, Kansas, Louisiana, Iowa, Ross, rvc, lmu, Ohio, Midwestern, Arizona, and I think that’s it.Nice! Did you receive an interview last time you applied? Where else are you applying?
Thank you! Never heard of this, where can I find this in the future?@Pawsup 🐾, here is the thread you were looking for! Please check the stickied list of school-specific threads before starting new ones in the future to avoid duplicates. Thanks!
I have heard that in the past they started offering interviews in October/November. I was recently informed directly by my admissions counselor through WesternU that they do interviews all the way through the end of April. He also said they like to have decisions out typically 6-8 weeks after your interview, but I do know (from reading posts from last cycle) some people waited a very long time for a decision post-interview. They may have changed things for this cycle, I'm not sure. Fingers crossed!Does anyone have an idea of when we will hear back about interviews / rejections for westerns program?
HOPING for everyone's sake that it's sooner... scrolling through last year's board has me a little scared to say the least about timeline things...I have heard that in the past they started offering interviews in October/November. I was recently informed directly by my admissions counselor through WesternU that they do interviews all the way through the end of April. He also said they like to have decisions out typically 6-8 weeks after your interview, but I do know (from reading posts from last cycle) some people waited a very long time for a decision post-interview. They may have changed things for this cycle, I'm not sure. Fingers crossed!
I got this same email, I’m curious how much this will push back their decision and interview timeline😣I received an email from WesternU stating in part:
"This email is to let you know that your application is still with the College of Veterinary Medicine Admissions Committee.
Due to the volume of applications submitted, it may take some time to receive the Committee’s decision."
Congrats! When did you submit your application?Just received my invite for an interview tonight 10/18! One of my peers received her invite yesterday 10/17!
Did you receive an email or did you check your portal?Just received my invite for an interview tonight 10/18! One of my peers received her invite yesterday 10/17!
I received an email, and then scheduling through the portal! 🙂Did you receive an email or did you check your portal?
Thank you so much! I submitted my application on 8/30! Absolute BEST of luck to you, you've got this! I have my interview scheduled for 10/28!Congrats! When did you submit your application?
Do you mind if I ask what your stats were to be offered an interview? Have you applied before? And congratulations!!Thank you so much! I submitted my application on 8/30! Absolute BEST of luck to you, you've got this! I have my interview scheduled for 10/28!
Oops sorry I didn't see this earlier! I'm a first time applicant but I can DM you!Do you mind if I ask what your stats were to be offered an interview? Have you applied before? And congratulations!!
Hi!! Can you please DM me too? I’m interested as a first time applicant too🙂Oops sorry I didn't see this earlier! I'm a first time applicant but I can DM you!
I haven't received that email a second time yet, nor heard anything about an interview yet. It sounds like they will be interviewing for months though. When did your application initially get sent to the admissions committee?I received an “Application Still With Admissions Committee” email today. This is the second email they’ve sent explaining the delay. I’m itching to hear back from them😣 has anyone else heard back about interviews?
I submitted my application early, around mid July. I know that Western does not do rolling admissions and that I can hear back later in the cycle but I’m just so eager to see if I’ll get an interview 🥲I haven't received that email a second time yet, nor heard anything about an interview yet. It sounds like they will be interviewing for months though. When did your application initially get sent to the admissions committee?
Did you get an email to set up your portal or an initial confirmation that your application was with the committee?I haven’t received any emails from them. Should I be concerned? :/
I got the email for the portal, but nothing about a committeeDid you get an email to set up your portal or an initial confirmation that your application was with the committee?
I got an email to set up my portal over a month ago, this email was just letting me know that there is a delay with decisions due to the number of applications received this cycle.Did you get an email to set up your portal or an initial confirmation that your application was with the committee?
Thanks for the info! I’m only concerned because I had submitted my application so early, I assumed I would hear from them sooner rather than later. I still have hopes I’ll at least manage an interview! Good luck to you and congrats on your interview 🥳I just interviewed with Western this week. From my understanding, this was the first wave of applicants that were invited to interview. The second group were sent out invitations sometime earlier this week. No clue what determines the order for who gets these invites (For additional context, I submitted my application mid-August). Considering they interview through spring, there is plenty of time to hear back about an interview. Do not fret yet, it’s still very early in the game!
You bet! I assume they aren't prioritizing their interviews based on submission date, but rather by some other metric. Not to say that's grounds for concern by any means. My advice is to take a deep breath because what will be will be at this point. Thank you very much, I have high hopes for you as well! Best of luck!!Thanks for the info! I’m only concerned because I had submitted my application so early, I assumed I would hear from them sooner rather than later. I still have hopes I’ll at least manage an interview! Good luck to you and congrats on your interview 🥳
Yeah I got it too.Did anyone else receive an email this morning saying their repeated coursework form is missing even though it is submitted?
sameDid anyone else receive an email this morning saying their repeated coursework form is missing even though it is submitted?
Congratulations! Do you mind if I ask what your cumulative GPA was?I received an interview invitation today. I applied very close to the application deadline.
Thanks! It looks like you have a strong application!Yes, ofc. I’m a second time applicant. I graduated undergrad in 2022. I took ~12 science classes after graduation to get my gpa up. My GPA was around a 3.35 but after I submitted my repeated coursework form it was 3.5. My science gpa was 3.3. My last 45 gpa was around a 3.89. Small animal hours were just under 3000. I volunteer at an exotics hospital and I volunteer with horses. I had research experience with insects and amphibians. I was previously in human medicine and have around 2400 hours in human medicine. I hope this helps!
Are you a second career/nontraditional applicant? I'm just curious/nosy/questioning because these hours calculate to the equivalent of 22 years of full-time workMy stats are:
27,719 animal non-vet (mostly small, but also some large and wildlife/exotic-- majority volunteer, some paid)
1,690 vet experience (small animal: general practice & ER)
1,102 volunteer non-animal
8,904 employment non-animal
7,661 extra-curricular
Yes, I am! I am almost 34 years old. I founded a 501(c)3 non-profit animal rescue when I was about 15 years old (hence the very heavy animal non-vet hours). I was homeschooled starting in 8th grade to allow for more flexibility in my schedule for my rescue work. I have a BA and MS in Psychology and am currently a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. My entire life has been very animal and volunteer centered (for both animals and humans)...and very busy, which is why my hours are so high. It might not look like it adds up just with the raw numbers, but if you look at my actual experiences/hours on my application it makes sense. 😊Are you a second career/nontraditional applicant? I'm just curious/nosy/questioning because these hours calculate to the equivalent of 22 years of full-time work
No need to justify! You don't often see decades-worth of work/other experience, especially not calculated down to the individual hour, so I was just curious.Yes, I am! I am almost 34 years old. I founded a 501(c)3 non-profit animal rescue when I was about 15 years old (hence the very heavy animal non-vet hours). I was homeschooled starting in 8th grade to allow for more flexibility in my schedule for my rescue work. I have a BA and MS in Psychology and am currently a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. My entire life has been very animal and volunteer centered (for both animals and humans)...and very busy, which is why my hours are so high. It might not look like it adds up just with the raw numbers, but if you look at my actual experiences/hours on my application it makes sense. 😊
Up until the end of high school I wanted to go into vet med but changed course (mentioned in my personal statement). I always stayed very involved with animals and volunteering (just how my life is, not for the purpose of "looking good on an application", as I didn't plan to switch back to the vet med route until a little over a year ago).
Ah, got it! That was definitely a pain trying to calculate for VMCAS. 🥲 The volunteer is probably a very close estimate, but I know the employment (vet hours included) is exact because of pay stubs/record of that. My volunteer non-animal hours include my one year non-paid traineeship in grad school, which I was able to calculate exactly as well. 😊No need to justify! You don't often see decades-worth of work/other experience, especially not calculated down to the individual hour, so I was just curious.
That is SO stinkin' cool! Wow! You got this!Yes, I am! I am almost 34 years old. I founded a 501(c)3 non-profit animal rescue when I was about 15 years old (hence the very heavy animal non-vet hours). I was homeschooled starting in 8th grade to allow for more flexibility in my schedule for my rescue work. I have a BA and MS in Psychology and am currently a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist. My entire life has been very animal and volunteer centered (for both animals and humans)...and very busy, which is why my hours are so high. It might not look like it adds up just with the raw numbers, but if you look at my actual experiences/hours on my application it makes sense. 😊
Up until the end of high school I wanted to go into vet med but changed course (mentioned in my personal statement). I always stayed very involved with animals and volunteering (just how my life is, not for the purpose of "looking good on an application", as I didn't plan to switch back to the vet med route until a little over a year ago).
Thank you! I hope so! I'm now seeing other applicants with a much lower GPA than mine who have received an invite, so I think my GPA theory is wrong. I hope/think I just haven't heard anything yet because my application was sent to the committee late.That is SO stinkin' cool! Wow! You got this!
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.