Western/Comp class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vdubpower

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whats up people, i also wanted to see who is gonna go to comp in august. i am pretty sure i am. SO who from southern cali, (orange, La or ucla ) are goin, i would love to get know a few of you before we embark on this journey.

let me know
faiz

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,
I'll be at COMP in August as well. I live in the LA area, and if you'd like to get in touch, here's my email. I'm totally pumped about COMP, can't wait!

Greg
COMP '05

[email protected]

Any New Yawka's out dare wanna gimme a HOLLA...my e-mail is [email protected]

See ya all at COMP!

Members don't see this ad :)
yo don't forget about me!
biggrin.gif

thrilled at the prospect of beginning as an MSI this august. hope i feel this way after school starts!

see ya in august! and goodluck to those still waiting to hear...

pritbir

Vdub,

We got some New Yorkers coming into the territory, but they seem alright. Yosh is pretty cool...I know he's got game at the local bars. I remember emailing you about TUCOM adn COMP one time. Good to hear you made the right decision. I'm from down here, so I know I'll be seeing you around in the summertime. I think the NY guys are coming down in March. WE can all hook up then and hang out for our first unofficial COMP pre-party. See you guys then.

Count me in, guys! I can't wait to start school either. I already have my housing set up (Chino Hills). Contact me if you want. We could chat. Peace!!!!

whaaassssupp ya'll thanks for all the replies, lets keep em coming, seems likewe are gonna have an awesome class, gonna be hella fun. so just keep me in touch if something goes down
peace
faiz

Local ghetto child here, pumped about COMP too. I can't wait to set up the fin aid, move closer, and start kicking the proverbial a$$ once medschool starts. WOO-HOO!! See ya'all in August.

Robb..thanks for the good word! I will be out there with ny soon to be COMP roomate, from Oregon and possibly another NY'er in March/April..and we should all get together and go out...Getting tanked would be IMPERATIVE!

P.S. Robb, Lets avoid those "shady" $50 clubs eh??? Sushi is cool...but Techo is PAINFUL!

Till then....

adismo,
did u go to ucriveside, just wondering, cuz i did for 2 years as a biomed, before transferring to a real school, ucla,
smile.gif

hey where are most people planning on getting pads, chino hills, ontario ??
most of u gonna live together, alone??

peace out

"Birthdays were the worst days, now we sip champagne when we're thirstay.."

RIP BIG

------------------

Vudubpower,
Just wanted to CONGRATULATE on your East Coast rap knowledge. I have been wrestling with the idea that I would have to trade Puff(who is probably going to jail anyway..)and B-I-G-G-I-E(LIVES ON)....for the Da Dogg Pound Snoop Man and West Coast Style...

I feel better already!!!

Biggie Biggie Biggie...can't you see..
sometime your words just HYPNOTIZE ME...and I just love your flashy ways..that's why they're so broke...and you so PAID!!!!

Keep Da Peace in Da East!!

--Yosh
COMP '05

Whats up COMP 2005? I just found out yesterday that I got in. Now I can't wait to start! I'm originally from LA but I've been trapped up in Northern Callie for four + years. Looking forward to coming back to LA. Haven't set up housing yet, but I've investigated some possibilities. I'm looking for one or two roommates to split a two/three bedroom place. Anybody interested?

Nah, I didnt go to UCR, but I've been a Riversidian all my life. Went to a lesser known school...La Sierra U. (formerly Loma Linda U, Riverside campus).

Wanted to throw out my email... [email protected] for any leads on housing, roomates, chat, whatever.

West Coast baby!
HOLD UP! Heeeeeyyy..
:p
biggrin.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
i aint gonna dawg the east coast, buts its all west coast flava yo, that jigga xzibit has been tearing up ****, he's top dawg nowadays. screw puffy, hope the little prick rots in the slammer, dont forget abt dre, the ring leader....by the way

METALLICA FOR LIFE....Thats the ****

hahah, see i'm flexible
see you all soon

man, you people from the west are going to get a kick out of us new yorkers. i'm looking foward to meeting all you sunshine boys and girls. see you in the summer! i better have a place to live by then...i hear downtown pomona ain't that bad
wink.gif
...who wants to live in posh chino hills anyway?

peace!
later days
~j

Vdub,
Metallica eh?..

Remember this ??????

End of passion play, crumbling away
I'm your source of self-destruction
Veins that pump with fear, sucking darkest clear
Leading on your deaths construction
Taste me you will see
more is all you need
you're dedicated to
how I'm killing you

Come crawling faster
obey your Master
your life burns faster
obey your Master
Master
Master of Puppets I'm pulling your strings
twisting your mind and smashing your dreams
Blinded by me, you can't see a thing
Just call my name, `cause I'll hear you scream
Master
Master
Just call my name, `cause I'll hear you scream
Master
Master

Old School Heavy Metal!

Love 'em!!

[This message has been edited by yosh (edited 02-04-2001).]

Congrats to all COMP 2005!

Special congrat to Nellie. I remember your post regarding TUCOM / COMP dillema. Good to find out that you'll be attending your first choice school w/ all of us.

Can hardly wait for Aug.

Will all of you attend that Retreat held on the last weekend of July?

I'll be heading to COMP in august also. I'm so greatful that they changed the curriculum to allow less class time. Does anybody know of any studio apartments that are available near by??? IF so, please post for myself and other COMPers intersted.

I had the chance to check out an apartment complex right up the block from campus, called the Plaza. The neighborhood isn't all that, but it is convienient. It is gated, and across from a retirement home. The one bedrooms sarted at 640, two bedrooms at 875. The student who gave my campus tour said alot of students live there, and at night a security guard is willing to walk students to the corner. Not a bad option.

Innerpower- thanks for the reply about my dillema. I look forward to meeting you this July. I plan on going to the retreat
smile.gif

once again CONGRATS to all!
biggrin.gif
not sure about the retreat at this point. but at least i have a few names down so we can meet for sure once school begins. i am still waiting for info. from the school about housing and some packet they are supposedly going to send in the mail. i figure i'll wait for that to come before i make any real attempt to scan for some apartments. its amazing to see how fast time has gone by. my interview was with the second group in october..and its already february. i hope med skool goes by this fast!!! lets keep the posts coming...

by the way...anybody goin up from UCSD?!
pritbir

[This message has been edited by PV1 (edited 02-04-2001).]

thanks for the good info Nellie. Gosh, the more I read these post, the more i realize I made a right decision going to COMP. Does anybody know about studio apartments, as opposed to one bed rooms. Studio apartments seem to be a little cheaper. Thanks.

...one for the treble, two for the base!...

OH NO! Look who they let in the back door...
biggrin.gif

I think they have a roomate/apartment finder service at COMP but I hope they get the ball rolling on this sometime late spring. Any current COMP'ers have input on this??

Hey guys, try the Blue Beet at Newport Beach. Ahh, it ain't heavy metal but they have good steaks - and alkyhol is alkyhol, eh?

I didn't go to COMP but I went there with a guy who did - said he was stoned the whole four years. Explains alot re: his professional demeanor.
biggrin.gif

Keep us posted.

Cheers,
Tom
PCOM'66

Hello,
I didn't really like the dialogue going on
among the students accepted to Western.
You all should be over 21, and fairly
intelligent. Try to conform your speech
and behaviour to a professional level since
you all will have to be considered authority
figures in the near future.
Just a comment, not meant to be derogatory,
Tim

------------------
tb

Originally posted by TNT:
thanks for the good info Nellie. Gosh, the more I read these post, the more i realize I made a right decision going to COMP. Does anybody know about studio apartments, as opposed to one bed rooms. Studio apartments seem to be a little cheaper. Thanks.

Studio apts. are those w/ no separate room, hence little cheaper than one bedroom apts. If you're thinking about renting a place just for yourself, studio isn't a bad idea, however, it's much smaller than a one bedroom apt. The price difference b/t these two range from $100 to $250, I think.

whats sup ya'll

yo yosh tell me you cut and paste those words of wisdom...thats a tight song...thats all i use my napster for, Downloading live metallica tracks. i found some wild ish in there. Dude whats the deal with Jason Newsted, is it Arthitis, stomach cancer, deafness....its killing me, i gotta get thru med quickly so i can bust some osteopathy on his A$$...

is anyone gonna live in claremont, or upland, i think snoop dogg has a pad up there?

yo beyonder, whats up with u, whats so offensive in here, we are just a bunch of excited fools getting hyped for school.

anyways, its all cool,
seeya

faiz
COMP 2005

hey so are any ucla students gonna go too..

wuz up everyone...

yo beyonder...this is an internet board. not too formal if you know what i mean. i think all of us are very excited to begin school soon and it shows. besides, i think i spent too much time writing "intelligent" and formal remarks in my supplemental essays so now its time to relax.
biggrin.gif

anyhow...i was talking with my friend yesterday and snoop dogg has a pad up in chino hills.

later
pritbir

Re:TheBlunderer(A.k.a:TheBeyonder):

Anyone have any clue who this donkey is? I didn't...then I began reading through the message board and the "schwance" is apparently "applying" to school this coming August for 2002.
Funny how someone who didn't even apply to med school yet, never mind been accepted anywhere..has the "insight" to critique our "conversation"
I think our little COMP section kicks ass..and being a doctor, aside from intelligence...requires bedside manner, and PERSONALITY..which we all here seem to be blessed with..
I enjoy checking this section, and chatting with my future classmates..like regular people...lets be real...

Does anyone here want to talk about SN1 and E2 reactions? How about the Krebs Cycle? I got one...Physics and Mass Defect equations? To be perfectly honest, I prefer oxidation-reduction reactions....

Maybe I am going off a bit..

but hey...I am from New York..

Here, people learn quick..Don't talk trash unless you can back it up!

He spoke his piece....and I mine

Dayyymmnn yosh u are comedy, lol,
wait so that dude is someone who is applying next year, and their buggin us now, thats whack...
forget them, whats the next topic of the day...?
shoot i dont know...
hey is anyone good with computers, i need to install a cd burner. everyone says its easy, but imfreaking about losing the data i already have installed, like all my live metallica songs

alright peace

I'm definitely looking for a studio apartment. I've shared rooms and apartments all my life. Ready to live alone so I can concentrate on school. Anyone know of any studio apartments in the range of 400-500 bucks. Any info would be great.

DocTNT
COMP 2005

Originally posted by vdubpower:
i aint gonna dawg the east coast, buts its all west coast flava yo, that jigga xzibit has been tearing up ****, he's top dawg nowadays. screw puffy, hope the little prick rots in the slammer, dont forget abt dre, the ring leader....by the way

METALLICA FOR LIFE....Thats the ****

hahah, see i'm flexible
see you all soon

I'm a MS IV, not a pre-med student, but I agree with TheBeyonder. I know this is an informal forum, not meant to be taken totally seriously, but let's tone it done a bit. There's nothing wrong with talking about music and having a sense of humor, but please discuss it in a more professional way. Especially, since you guys will represent COMP on this website.

Drlee,
Point well taken....I didn't see the post that you quoted....I agree with you..and we will keep it "within reason"
Good looking out..

Thanks...

Originally posted by yosh:
Drlee,
Point well taken....I didn't see the post that you quoted....I agree with you..and we will keep it "within reason"
Good looking out..

Thanks...

Yosh,

Thanks. By the way, most of the posts on this thread are fine and are acutally really clever and funny. I wish our class had some personality.

Vdubpower,

Just be cognizant of your audience. Which may include attendings that you'll work with, senior med students, high-schoolers, and pre-meds. You'd be suprised to find out who actually visits this site. Good luck to all of you. The first two years suck, but by your third year, time flies. Enjoy your last summer.

its all good doc lee, i mean no harm, trust me when aug 6 comes around, its all business, but free speech is free speech, and i dont think i have been very excessive, and i dont plan to. if i offended anyone, sorry, but as for now im just having some fun, meeting new people,
peace

Yosh,

You crack me up! I'm offended though, you don't want to talk about SN1 vs. SN2 reactions anymore? What else can we talk about now, the real world? Come on, med students aren't supposed to be well rounded, are they? Or maybe they're supposed to be a bunch of book happy people who know how to treat diseases and not their patients. Wait a minute, those are some of those other med schools, not us COMP representatives. I'm glad the committee did a good job of choosing the diverse and well rounded people that we all are.

Dr Lee,
Advice well taken. I definitely see your point. I'm sure the committee has done a good job in choosing future professional DO's. If ever you rotate ER and want a non-trauma based ER, Coast Plaza Doctor's Hospital isn't too bad. I work there as an ER Coordinator and run into a number of MSIII, MSIV, and PA COMP students. Good luck with everything.

-Rob
Class of 2005

drlee said BOO-YAAA! to all you suckaaz.

but in all seriousness, if we as a community of premeds/meds cannot be real enough to vent some frustration and share a few laughs.... well its basically leudicrus (is that how you spell it, fellas?) c'mon people, loosen up a bit.

Last i checked, the school motto is not: "Plastic paranoid physicians without personalities working for you. COMP paving the way into a dull future." or "take a walk on the mild side. why be real when you can be retentive?" haha (jk)

( at this moment, most MSIII or IV reading this have let out a collective shudder and probably said something like "ughhh, freshmen..." )

yosh et al, you new yawkaz are a riot. but the west is going to rule the class 'o 2005.
i got ya pathology right here!

see that soothing light at the end of your tunnel?? well, its COMP 2005 heading your way!

Robb,
I'll be there in April-ish...so get your DRINKIN' shoes on!!!

Who else lives in the Pomona area already? We should all get together when I am out there...it would be cool to meet some COMP 2005'ers!!!

Originally posted by adismo:

but in all seriousness, if we as a community of premeds/meds cannot be real enough to vent some frustration and share a few laughs.... well its basically leudicrus (is that how you spell it, fellas?) c'mon people, loosen up a bit.
B]

yeah i agree with ya completely! and since you asked (not to seem arrogant or anything), but it's spelled "ludicrous"
biggrin.gif

hey when you guys come over from the east lemme know. i'm only an hour and some change away. actually, i might be making a trip to pittsburgh in april to get some traveling in before school starts. but let me know the days anyway.

later peeps,
pritbir

I'll definately post when I know the dates that I will be out there...It will be cool to hang with a bunch of ya'll before I actually move out there...

Till then....It's 50's and sunny...

I am off to enjoy our "HOT" New York winter weather...

Later!

Hey, any COMPer's out there get a military scholarship, or planning on getting one? I just found out I got one, and not worrying about money during med school really sounds good.

Originally posted by TNT:
Hey, any COMPer's out there get a military scholarship, or planning on getting one? I just found out I got one, and not worrying about money during med school really sounds good.

The military is a great option if you are single. At least 15 people in my class went military. You are guaranteed a residency that is dually accredited. I didn't do it but I know many people glad they did. The high military rank and the stipend doesn't hurt either. Have fun.

I found out last friday that i got the air force scholarship...but i'm holding out for the army scholarship. i wonder how many more people are doing the HPSP thing.

i figure that this will add a little spice to my life...that is...until a little hottie wanders my way.

peace.
~j

Pyoj,

I got the navy scholarship, have signed with them. A bit of advice though. Dont turn down the air force for the army. Between the army/air force/navy, GO AIR FORCE. They seem to be harder to get and and treat the soldiers really well. If you look back on the earlier post, most people choose air force as their first choice. I would have applied air force, but I didn't think I would get it so I didn't want to go through all the paper work. the army is good, but air force is better. From what I heard from recruiters: Air Force department gets treated better by Department of Defense because:

1)Smaller branch
2)Air Force is usually the first line of defense when war strikes.
3)Soldiers are generally smarter and score higher on the ASPHAP( or whatever the exam is called for enlisted people)

[This message has been edited by TNT (edited 02-17-2001).]

Just wanted to say congrats to you guys... I think it's great that you all are already communicating. It will help those first 2-3 weeks be less awkward.

I'm a DO '04, and remembered how the first couple weeks sucked b/c I really didn't know anyone. You going to be in the same room for 8 hours many days so might as well get a head start get to know each other. Get as much partying in before the dreaded CORE & gross anatomy in fall!
smile.gif

Oh yeah..... also another thing:

definitely go Air Force, I hear many good things about that branch. I wish I applied for it!

Hey Everyone,

I will also be attending COMP in the fall.

I tend to agree with TNT. I applied to the Air Force/Army (I didn't apply Navy, sorry TNT) and got both. I will be accepting the Air Force for several reasons. The major reason is that everyone tells me they are the best and more prestigous. The next is that I heard there is Air Force base located in Riverside. That means that as an Air Force officer, we can go on base and buy things really, really cheap. There are no Army bases located anywhere in California. I hope you decide to go Air Force. It would be nice to know some fellow COMP students during the Commishioned Officer Training (COT). Anyone else going Air Force?? Any COMP students from Texas??

Lisa Burstein
COMP 2005

[This message has been edited by LisaB (edited 02-18-2001).]

hey peeps...we can't let this thread die you know! ok so any idea when we are supposed to get this info. packet in the mail? i think the rest of our deposit is due b4 march so hopefully the school is keeping up with things...

later
pritbir

Okay Pritbir,

We'll try to keep COMP thread going. Here's a question for you guys. Any of you send in your FAFSA yet and meet with the financial aid office? Last I checked, the 2004 class had a budget of $43,017 with tuition making up 25,900 of the budget (not including the infamous laptop/technical fees). I'm sure it will be at least a couple grand extra for us. From what I hear (NOT confirmed), the financial aid office is helpful and quite generous to the students. Let me know how your experiences went once you all meet with them.

hey whats the deal with fafsa, is it too late to send in if i send it like this week electronically. when are we supposed to meet with comps finacial aid office?
anyone else gonna do the anatomy programs during the summer, how do we sign up

oh and if my language or my smart ass remarks offends anyone, i am so so sorry
smile.gif

TNT and LisaB

i officially turned down the air force. yeah i know it's the most prestigious branch and their bases are in the best condition...but i fugured that the army can provide me with the best opportunities as far as medical education goes. plus i would really like to go to washington DC (Walter Reed Military Hospital). I figure the 97% match rate for residency would allow me to practice in whichever field i want.

all the scholarships are the same, we all took the scholarship for financial reasons and for service in the military, so you really can't go wrong in picking a branch.

email me! let's talk some more!
~j