Western/Comp class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
VDub....

Call me tomm....so we can seee what is going on...let me know...I am staying at the Plaza..right across from COMP!!!

--John

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick question....

When we start at COMP...will we have a dial up connection from home? Will I need to get an internet provider??? What's the poop??

Let me know...thanks....

hey all...umm did we get any notice on if there is a substitute for that camping trip that was cancelled?

prit

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by PV1:
•hey all...umm did we get any notice on if there is a substitute for that camping trip that was cancelled?

prit•

we should make a camping trip of our own...nothing like a bunch of med students getting lost in the middle of the mountains and doing stupid things. count me in!!

yosh-have you moved out for good or are you coming back to NYC for your last hurrah?

counting down the days...
peace yo.
~j

Hi folks,
I am finally moved into my apartment... that being said, I still have a lot of work in terms of cleaning up the place and bringing it up to "code". :p In the meantime, I was also wondering if anyone had information about a COMP dialup access for the internet (Netzero is our last resort!)

Vdub- I have no clue if SAPP'ers need laptops for class.. might want to call and ask sometime. I got the laptop info for ISAC verbally.

Pyoj- camping sounds awesome. I guess we have some time in the beginning of August, right? (When the COMP camping trip was SUPPOSED to be) There's an REI outlet about 30 minutes from here too for our all camping/hiking needs. Although I'm not privvy to where everything is, there are plenty of places to hike, camp, climb, kayak, etc. in Cali.

Anyone else even considering living in The Plaza apts? I just found Gemini yesterday.. just dropped by her door with our welcoming committee. PV1 and his roommate will be moving in July to the Plaza as well.

Jay
I am coming back to NY this Saturday..and will finish uo work this week..then have a few weeks to run around in the city....and "tie" up some loose ends...
Camping sounds great.....and I will check with the school about the SAPP needing laptops.

Just as a side note...Tighe and I also met Gemini...

All three of us, Tighe, myself and Melancholy moved his stuff....two nights in a row...granted he did most of it before we got there....but we HELPED!! :D :rolleyes:

Just a quick update,

I went and asked about the necessity of laptops for SAPP, and apparently the jury is still out...I left my number and they said that they will call me and let me know what the story is.
Last nite I got to go out with Rob, Lizander, Tighe and another L.A.-er for some sushi in West Hollywood....had a great time..and even wondered into some "Irish" bar across Sunset.
I am once again faced with the fact that moving to L.A. will certainly be a big adjustment...a different scene entirely..but then again...I have a feeling COMP will keep me occupied enough that "going to bars and critiquing L.A. culture" will be the furthest thing from my mind....

One last thing....

Hey L.A......

Sorry about the Lakers....(OUCH!!!)

Time to take the flags in from the windows eh???? ;)

i just felt like putting us back on the top of the list... :D

tomorrow's my last day at work!!!! whooo!!!
see ya.
~j

Next Friday is my last day......!!!

Jay...are you gonna be on the Island after this Friday??

Let me know...and we'll try this get together again!!!

My apartment situation is finally settled...I will be living in Chino Hills, and moving in around July 7th....

Its a really nice complex..and there are still one bedrooms available...about ~7-10 minutes from school...

If anyone is stuck for a place..this one seems good....

Where is everyone else living?

P.S. Why do I feel like I live at this school already????

:D :p :cool: :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

BOOOOYYAA!! This is KICKA$$ AWESOME... i just found out a buddy of mine got accepted to COMP, a fellow alumn. anyways... um, GO LAKERS!!

:p :cool: :D

Do you guys have outdoor skills like Pauly and Christopher from the Sopranos? I hope you'll fare a little better in the woods.

:p

I am saddened to announce that I will not be attending COMP in the fall. I got off the waitlist at MSUCOM, which was my number one choice. Theres two grand worth of deposits down the drain, but you gotta go with your gut feeling. Had fun reading your post, but it's time to join the MSUCOM2005 forum. Good luck everyone.

Good to hear you got yourselves a place to live for the next year, John and Tighe!

I'm still debating about the SAPP. Does anyone know whether we could just attend first two weeks of the SAPP, for I have already commited to a trip in the first week of Aug?

Good luck w/ ISAC, Lanny.

Members don't see this ad :)
Innerpower- thanks.. actually, I've met one other person, Gemini, who will be attending ISAC with me and she lives in the same complex so I should have some company walking the 1.5 minutes to class. My orientation got bumped to 8am, Friday.. so I need to get up in about six hours. Are you doing anything this weekend.. have any time to hang out?

First day of class.. wish the ISAC'ers luck.. we will need it!

Lanny

Originally posted by LisaB:
•I got off the waitlist at MSUCOM, which was my number one choice.•

lisab-we'll i guess congrats are in order. best of luck to ya! go BIG 10!!!

yosh-i'm staging my move out of albany and back to LI sometime next week so feel free to give me a ring on my celly-phone.

~j

found i got my apt for july at Eagle canyon in chino hills, is anyone else gonna live there...

yosh ill see u 2day

lakers, get your act together
horry, stay home

rack me, im out

Jay,
I am not sure if I still have the cell number...can you e-mail to it me....and I'll def call you....

we need to chat anyway....I'm leaving L.A. tomm...so call me after Sunday...

Is there anywhere I can get a detailed description of COMP residency matches (not the one given in the interview packet, it isn't that helpful). I'm still trying to decide between COMP and CCOM.

Hey.....just a quick update...

FYI:
We do not need out laptops for SAPP...I confirmed today..and we are fine until school starts...

I am official moving into Chino Hills on 7/7/01..as a California person...

Where is everyone else living?

Looking to see if anyone else is living in or near Woodview Apts....???

Let me know...eh?

Hi, everyone. I'm here in Pomona w/ Melancholy and Yosh. Actually we're all here hanging out in Melancholy's room at the Plaza Apartments. I live in the same complex and we've met a couple other ISAC'rs who live here too.

Today was our first day of ISAC and what a long day it was- registration, intros, bone distribution, laptop set-up and a mini-lecture already. They weren't kidding when they said this course would be intensive. Guess I won't be hitting the beach this weekend :( They did treat us good though by giving us dinner (lasagne) and cake :)

Well, I look forward to meeting the rest of you in a couple months. Enjoy the free time while you can!

Hey everyone,
Back from our first day of ISAC. I have to say it sounds like a real challenge, but everything seems exciting so far.. especially to be on the way to starting my medical education and getting to know some of my classmates.

I originally had posted something, but it didn't go through on Gemini's computer so I'm too tired to rewrite all of it. Basically, we went through the registration process including the matter of health insurance and a few other things.. so if you guys have questions about that sort of thing, you can always ask us.

It seems like the professors are really stressing the importance of working together with classmates to help everyone learn the material better. There was emphasis during our orientation regarding learning in groups.. I think their approach should help everyone study more effectively. I have a feeling there will be a bit less emphasis on details and dry lecturing and more on interactive learning to keep students involved.. hopefully this will carry over into the regular classes as well.

At any rate, anyone I met today that reads the SDN boards.. feel free to pipe in whenever you feel like it! What's going on this weekend? Time to watch a little Jerry Springer and relax before the studying starts tomorrow...

Lanny

Home at last...

I am finally back in goode olde NY!!! No more COMP lab for me for a while....at least a good month...
I had an excellent time out in Sunny California....met some grat people and had a really good time..but alas...I am all to happy to be home.
Just wanted to thank everyone out there who put me up, took me out, and basically made me feel welcome and at home...I am really looking forward to starting school and building some good frindships...

Thanks again...

Until I move out there in a month...

Signing off from NY...

Melancholy:
How is it now that you are FINALLY alone??? Enjoy the quiet my friend...and thank you again!!!
I had a GREAT time...even thought most of it was back and forth down to Newport Beach...(at ~80mph)

--John

Saint M if u loook back maybe 5 pages or so there is a list of all the matches,

Hey gang! I am heading out to CA to look for an apartment. It seems a few people are going to live in Chino Hills. Does anyone have any suggestions? Give me some apartment names I should check out while I'm there....I would appreciate it. I am going to check out Eagle Canyon and Woodview since I saw those listed here already. Any others? Thanks.

portofino is another chino hills one i looked at, its aight too, get the blue sheet from the comp office, it has many names of apt places

I heard Portofino is pretty expensive, so you'll probably want to grab a roommate if you want to live in Chino Hills. That being said, the area feels much more secure and I feel it's easier to get to food, grocery stores, and bigger stores living in Chino Hills.

Yosh- Things are a little quiet, but I don't have time to clean up just yet. I can say that the buildings on campus close pretty late.. the computer lab doesn't close till 10pm and the health science center doesn't close till midnight I believe.. that's seven days a week! I guess there is always a place for students to study late at night. Glad to hear you made it back to NY ok.. I was wondering how you posted so early in the afternoon, but then I remembered that you left pretty darn early in the morning too! :p

Originally posted by melancholy:
Innerpower- thanks.. actually, I've met one other person, Gemini, who will be attending ISAC with me and she lives in the same complex so I should have some company walking the 1.5 minutes to class. My orientation got bumped to 8am, Friday.. so I need to get up in about six hours. Are you doing anything this weekend.. have any time to hang out?

Lanny•

Sorry I'm responding little late.

:D

I haven't checked this forum for a couple of days. It's already early Sunday. This was the last weekend w/o my wife, hence I had to utilize it. She's coming back from a long vacation this Wed.

Anyways, hope everyone who's doing the ISAC much luck.

Anyone know DSL hook-ups in Chino Hills? I know of Verizon, but I wasn't planning on getting a physical phone line, and apparently I am being told that I need one?

Anyone know about these things?

On the side...

I was browsing around and AZCOM 2005, alreadys has a website up...I think we too should get motivated...

Anyone good at web design??

Any volunteers? I'd be willing to help compile info....

Take a look at the AZCOM 2005 discussion on the latest page..the hyperlink is there...

Hey Yosh, I'm happy you made it there safe :) It's quiet w/o ya around! I look forward to having you back in town in a month. We can share stories ;)

Well, can you believe Melancholy and I are on campus studying right now?! Oh well, who said med school was going to be easy.

Anyway, just wanted to improve my stats... and no one forced me to do it this time either ;)

Gemini,
It was very nice to hear from you!!! I miss you too sweetie!! I had such a good time with you. So glad I have a "cutie" to chat with...makes my nites not seem so lonely...
I'll be back one month from today....but I am sure that you and Lanny will be BUSY as all hell....
See ya soon...I'll give ya a buzz during the week!

Have a great 2nd day of school!!!!

Sorry I can't be there to wish you all well!!!

Lanny
You take good care of her....she is my only female friend out there soo far..except for my "leasing agent" from the apt(hehehe)

to vdubpower
whats up with the name? do you drive a volkswagen? if you are also a fellow car enthusiast you might want to take it to the Buttonwillow racetrack (a closed road race course) this weekend for the performance driving clinic / if not Rob and I are gonna go again in August

Mr.Panda,
Glad to see that you got your self back to posting. I know that you are busy with work and seeing all those "potential" customers.
Had a great time with all of you at the SUSHI bar...I was thinking, SAPP ends August 3...how about rescheduling Tijuana for that weekend? Gte a bunch of us together...my old roomate from college will also be in visiting me...and we can all go...and get all kinds of banged up?
After SAPP and before school...I think it would be a real nice break...Lets make plans...because apparently, as I learned from Rob, EVERYTHING needs to be planned in Sunny California.

Hope you can get off work....

E-mail me and let me know what you think...

Robb leaves today no????

panda , yeah i drive a vw, pretty tricked out, hey where is that track, i heard there is a show there soon for dubs,
what do u drive?

Hey Yosh,
That sounds like a plan...we can stay at my cousins place in San Diego

Hey VDUBBPOWER,
I drive a tricked out 94 Accord. Its prepped up for weekend roadcourses or SCCA timetrials and autocrossing.
The event at Buttonwillow this weekend is a performance driving clinic taught by pro race car drivers (some of them known on Speedvision). Basically you get all this track time on the racetrack to push your car to its limits and past its limits with minimal chances of damaging anything ( its more dangerous to do this on city streets). You can also have a racecar driver ride with you to critic you. Rob and I did it last time...and it was well worth it.
goto www.buttonwillowraceway.com for details, click on performance driving clinic

Hi people,
I just finished my first afternoon of anatomy lab.. it felt sort of like trial by fire. We'll see how tomorrow goes. All I know is I don't want to eat for a few hours :p.

***Just got this through my WesternU email account.. not sure if to take this with a grain of salt or not, but here goes:

LIBRARY MOVE IN! The University's library and information technology staff, equipment and library books will be moving into the new Health Sciences Library and Learning Center at the northwest corner of Gibbs and Third streets next week (week of June 18). The new library will be open for business on Monday, June 25.

Hello Everyone! I'm here at the LaQuinta near the Ontario Airport. I drove around looking for apartments today and narrowed it down to Woodview in Chino Hills. Fairly nice complex but everything you need is nearby, grocery store, restaurants, dry cleaners, etc.(you name it, it's close). It's also pretty easy to get to and from campus and I think some other students are going to live there. We'll see I guess. If anyone is in town looking for a place or taking the summer anat course, e-mail me if you want to get together for lunch or a beer or something. I would really like to meet someone from my class. Let me know! I'll be here until Wed. morning.

Vince,
My roomate and I are also living at Woodview...I am glad I now know someone else who will be living there!!!

When are you moving in??

HOWDY HOWDY COMPers,
Its your old hillbilly from the Oregon Sticks. Listen up guys and gals I just wanted to say Hi and Wassup! Just kidding.... that was for you John.

I just wanted to thank everyone for their hospitality. I had a great time during that week in Cali.

Melancholy
Hey man... you are awesome. Not only did you put John and I up for several days but you drove us all over. Thanks for being there. I am glad to know that I have friends down there. Good luck on the ISAC...

YOSH
I am glad to hear that you made it home safely. Jeez... I cannot believe we are home again.. I had such a good time. I had a good time getting to know you and hanging out with you... even though I am a little "hicky." :D I can't wait to get all of my stuff down there and just start with school. Take care

Gemini
Hey there Adrian (Spelling?)
It was a pleasure to meet you. I hope we hang out more in the next year and become good friends. You're a sweetheart!

Rob, Eddy, Lizander
You guys rock. I had a great time hanging out with you guys at R&B's and at Miyagi's sushi bar. I can't wait until post test all you can eat sushi nights. You guys take care and I should see ya in a couple months.

Well everyone... I am in my last week of work
and its off to hang with my twin brother and then off to Commissioned Officer Training for the AirForce. Anyone else going to COTS with the AirForce?

LISAB
Hey there... I am glad you got into your number one choice. Of course I am a little saddened... but those are the breaks. I never heard back from you... when is your COT date... maybe I will see ya there. Take care ;)

Hey COMPers,

Yosh I haven't left for my trip yet, I'll be out this Friday. I'll see you in July when I get back. I see LA is getting to you already. Hopefully after a year or so, you're gonna want to become a permanent LA man.
Tigg What's up. It was cool getting to know you when you came down. Have fun at COT and I'll see you in August. I'm sure we'll have time to hang out after exams. I'll even take you to another hip sushi joint for all you can eat sushi and more.
Lanny Nice getting to know you. Too bad you couldn't hang out that other night with the rest of us. I hope ISAC is treating you well. What laptop did you end up getting by the way?
Wildpanda So you reveal the racer self in you. Have fun at the track this Saturday, and help 300Z boy hone in his skills at that Majic Mountain turn. Hope you guys don't lose it as much as I did at the track.
Eddy Thanks for hanging out with us. I'll see you in July as well. And don't worry, I'm not a big drinker either, just a social one.
Vdub You missed out. Maybe you can run into Panda and race your ride at the track. So how tricked out is your ride? Is it race customed or is it for show? I'd like to check it out one day.
Adrian You seemed a little out of it that night at D&B, but that's cool, at least you made it out so we can all get to know each other. Did you say you were doing SAPP too? If so, I'll see you then. If not, I'll see you in August. We can hang out then and get to know each other.
Lenny and Tony Thanks for coming out. I know you guys had a long day and you still made it out. I hope the rest of our class is just as cool.

As for myself, I'm off to a nice vacation SCUBA diving before we all hit the books. I've already started on the Anatomy Coloring Book and it seems like alot of work to get done before July 16th. How are the rest of you guys fairing with that stuff? Anyways, I'm out. Later.

hey all..

glad to see everyone is doin well. all of you doin isac will be taking it relatively easy once school "officially" begins. i'll prolly be moving in mid-july at plaza. can't wait to meet everyone...

later
prit

sup rob,

my ride is pretty tricked out, but still quite slow...
its only a freaking 2 liter automatic, but it looks pretty tite. i got full ABT body kit, and headlights, exhasut, chip, air filter, rims and ****, but beyond that, there not much... i havent done anything to it in years. i used to go to dub show here and there when i had time

aslong as my car starts im happy

tho i did hit 120 on the71 fwy once, it took its bloody time to get there tho

what do u have

Hey guys, I am down for the mexico trip before school starts since I wasn't able to go to d&b's with you guys..... i'm so missing out. :)
But anyways, I was just wondering what coloring book you guys are using for anatomy-- I have been trying to study my moore anatomy book, but it is just so difficult to concentrate on that stuff right now. Hopefully, the coloring book will be a little bit funner--at least it sounds like it will be!
I wish all you guys and girls taking the summer anatomy programs the best of luck. I hope you learn it well and help us out when we have to take it this year. :eek:
And I hope everyone else is enjoying their last summer before school starts! Live it up!
Any new news about the getting-to-know-each-other-weekend before school starts? Or is the Pumerantz Ice Cream Social gonna take it's place? :confused:

Hey Everyone....
OOOPSS Sorry... I forgot to Mention TONY and Lenny. It was great to meet you two as well... Jeez so many friends already.
I also have give a WAS UP to Adrian.. another person who I met at interviews... good to know you chose COMP.

SMILES
I really don't know if there are any other activities. John and I and several of the guys and gals were discussing maybe our own beach/bar-b-q/bonfire ect icebreaker at the beach or something. It will take a lot of planning... hopefully people in SAP can work on it... As I will be in Alabama until right before school starts... yuk!!

Take care you guys... will be looking forward to talking with you all during that month of fun in the humid armpit-of the US.
Adios French Toast

I am not going to COMP in the fall, but when I looked up apartments, I saw a place called Beachcomber-Outrigger (sp?) apartments in Montclair that had gated parking and complexes. It was only a 8-10 min drive to school. They had 1/2 rooms, and furnished studios for rent. I don't know if they furnish the 1/2 room ones, but they do furnish the studios. They had some available recently because I gave up my apartment I had on hold.

Hi Tigg,

Thanks for the congrats. I'm from texas, and since i'm an HPSPer, the out of state tuition for MSUCOM was no big deal :) Sorry, I didn't realize you asked me for my COT date, I must have missed the post. Anyhow, I already did COT during FEB becasue I'm not working and my recruiter said it's best to do it outside of summer. As you may have heard, COT training during the summer is called SUMMER SURGE because so many people do it then.

Bit of advice, Try to get you BDU top and have your name, rank and USAF tags sewn on ahead of time. Get your pants too, both service and mess dress, and have them altered ahead of time because when you get there the tailer will be overwhelmed. The other stuff like pants and shoes you can get while your there because they require no alterations. Enjoy it, you'll have fun. Also, study your OI's before you get there. It's not neurosurgery, but will be less hassle when you get there. lisa.

Hola,

Glad to see some new people interested!!!! I am gonna order my laptop soon...

Mexico Trip
I am psyched about this TJ trip the weekend after SAPP!!

My old college roomate will be in town too...and will happy join us in our Mexican adventures...

DMU/Class of 2005
The DMU posts a quickly catching up to us..what is that crap about?

I know it sounds petty....but let's kick their asses!!!

Rob
Best of luck...and enjoy the diving!!! A postcard would be nice...but not entirely necessary...

PandaBear
Regular posts would be nice...nevermind the "sporadic" guest appearances!! We shared Fried Ice Cream for God's sake..work with me here!!

Everyone Else...

What is everyone doing before school starts? Where are you all living? (I'll ask one last time)

Hi! Just finished my 2nd day of school. It's getting better since orientation when they hit us with all that information that made no sense to me. Don't get me wrong, it's still tough, but I won't drop-out just yet. If you want to get stuff early for Anatomy Lab, I suggest nitrile gloves as opposed to latex or vinyl since the stench seems to seep through the latter ones. Also, you'll need goggles or glasses for eye protection. Just stuff some of you may want to think about... Oh, lab coats are issued by the school and you just wear your crappy clothes and shoes.

I feel a little left out that I didn't get to meet a lot of you at D&B's. I just drove in that night for my move with a UHAUL and all my stuff. Luckily a few days later I got a knock on the door and met my first 3 new friends at COMP, Melancholy, Yosh, and Tigg. Well, there'll be a lot time for catching up with everyone else later. I'm sure I'll meet a lot of the SAPP'rs in a month.

BTW, my name is Adriane... with an "e" at the end. That "e" makes me a girl :) I heard that there's a guy in our class named Adrian. And guess what my anatomy lab partner's name is Adriana!

Hey, Robb, scuba diving?! I'm jealous. I'm not certified, but someone's gotta take me to the beach before the summer ends for some snorkeling. I'm without a car for now... at least just for the summer.

ok, this is it for now. catcha later...

Hello, everyone?

It's great to see that we're already bonding. :D

As for Yosh's question, I'll be living in Chino Hills as well. My wife and my 8-month old daughter will be moving back into our small townhome. Oh, my brother-in-law will be with us as well. He's an international student majoring in transportation design.

I'm still deciding on SAPP. I need some advice. Should I or shouln't I? :confused:

hello innerpower, my name is dawn, I don't post much, its much more fun reading all of your posts. but I did go to the book store the other day to get the anatomy books for studying this summer( I withdrew from the isac). I ran into a MS1, I asked him about the two anatomy programs. what he said was that Isac had alot of cons vs the pros. the only pro was that the gpa's tended to be higher with the isac students if they passed but that many didn't pass last year. the cons were that there is still alot of work in the facilitating, the is political problems with other class members and you lose out on your summer. he said the sapp program is only good if you have no anatomy experience at all. and if you have nothing else to do with your summer. I am a occupational therapist, my specialty is in hand surgery and he said it would be a waste of time for me to do it. I don't know what your background is but hope that helps. I am from the area, if you guys get together again soon I would like to meet everyone. it sucks to go the first day of school and not know anyone. til then.
My email is [email protected]