WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello Westerners,
I interviewed at the end of Jan, and got an acceptance letter a couple weeks ago. I already put a deposite down for WVSOM, but after checking out WCOMP it's sort of hard to pass up- the tuition is much better! I was hoping for some more trees though...
Maine is my first choice, but I still haven't heard from them! No rejection, no interview, no waitlist, just a "we still have your file" email.
So it looks like I'm in for Western! I certainly can't complain!
For anybody who is still planning to interview: They asked me all the common interview questions, across the board. "What's your stregnth and weakness, give an example of this or that..." I prefered this much more than interviewers who are unprepared and only ask two or three questions.
One thing that I think snagged me in was- one of the students I was asking questions to, pulled me aside to talk to the dean personally! I think that was just more luck though, but if you have any burning questions, don't hesitate to ask a lot!
Hope to meet you all soon.
 
Hello Westerners,
I interviewed at the end of Jan, and got an acceptance letter a couple weeks ago. I already put a deposite down for WVSOM, but after checking out WCOMP it's sort of hard to pass up- the tuition is much better! I was hoping for some more trees though...
Maine is my first choice, but I still haven't heard from them! No rejection, no interview, no waitlist, just a "we still have your file" email.
So it looks like I'm in for Western! I certainly can't complain!
For anybody who is still planning to interview: They asked me all the common interview questions, across the board. "What's your stregnth and weakness, give an example of this or that..." I prefered this much more than interviewers who are unprepared and only ask two or three questions.
One thing that I think snagged me in was- one of the students I was asking questions to, pulled me aside to talk to the dean personally! I think that was just more luck :luck: though, but if you have any burning questions, don't hesitate to ask a lot!
Hope to meet you all soon.
 
I've tried to avoid SDN since I found out about my waitlist, but I'm really curious about how the waitlist works for Western. My letter didn't say anything about a high/low ranking system and that they made it very clear that they can't tell you what your chances are at this point. So if anybody has any extra info/experience with this, please share. In April or May will they be able to give me a better idea what to expect? What are my chances now?

3.2 undergrad GPA/3.1 science GPA/3.4 grad GPA/30 MCAT
plenty of other stuff, good interview, sent them a post-interview letter

By the way, I just started studying for the MCAT for the third time. The first chapter is units and kinematics and I just want to hit myself in the head with this book.

I forget what her name was but I think she runs the admissions process and I remember during the interview she said specifically that there was a high/low division on the waitlist. There is no numerical rank system within those divisions though. As far as when you can get more info I also remember he saying that she has to get squared away with the the acceptances before they do the waitlist. My advice, from what I've read on here is that writing a genuine letter of intent and keeping them posted on anything new is a good thing to do. GL


I'm really nervous. My interviewer was really dry and didn't give me anything. I have a 3.7 postbacc(pre-req's), 3.4 science, 3.15 GPA and an 11VR/7PS/10BS MCAT. It's my last interview and my first choice. I really wished I tried to bump the interview date up, I feel like the odds are against me this late in the cycle.

to the above poster, why retake the MCAT? a 30 is great for DO schools

Yeah, I had two rather dry interviewers but I was able to open them up a bit with my stories. At least I think I was able to. Don't sweat it too much, see what happens and handle it. If you get waitlisted its not the kiss of death. GL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you get waitlisted do you have to re-apply the following year if you are not accepted? Does the whole process start over again. Or are you top of the list for the following year?

Thanks


According to the assistant dean at Western, the waitlist doesn't carry over to the next year, you have to start all over. Good luck!
 
Anyone interviewing on Thur. Feb 21st?
Rain should make for an interesting day.

I am jealous of all of you out there with your acceptances, I can not wait for the stress of not knowing to be lifted off of my shoulders.
 
As it isn't indicated on the instructions...can anyone tell me when the secondary is due by?

I know...within 30 days...but mine was mistakenly never sent (from them) and I've spoke with them about it.

No way in H-E-double hockeysticks they're gonna even remotely interview or accept me with my stats...but I kind of view my general application situation like the Publishers Clearinghouse commercials use to say...something to the effect of 'send it in...someone's gonna win it.' :luck:
 
the 30 day thing isn't written in stone. I didn't even read that (i got hit with like 20 secondaries within a week) and didn't get it out to them until like 1.5 months. I spoke with Diane about it and she said it was fine..
 
🙂
Interview is done at last! Now just a waiting game. Any SDN'rs interview today (21st)?

Just curious, anyone out there with around a 3.5 and 30 MCAT score not get an acceptance post interview?
 
Have you had any luck finding Western's 2006 and/or 2007 residency matches? I just got accepted at Western, and I have an acceptance pending at NYCOM. I really loved both schools equal (curriculum, location, faculty, rotations) so the only thing I can't compare is their latest matchlists. I'm interested in psychiatry and I would like to do my residency in a good teaching hospital.
 
Have you had any luck finding Western's 2006 and/or 2007 residency matches? I just got accepted at Western, and I have an acceptance pending at NYCOM. I really loved both schools equal (curriculum, location, faculty, rotations) so the only thing I can't compare is their latest matchlists. I'm interested in psychiatry and I would like to do my residency in a good teaching hospital.

I would like to see those as well.
 
Have you had any luck finding Western's 2006 and/or 2007 residency matches? I just got accepted at Western, and I have an acceptance pending at NYCOM. I really loved both schools equal (curriculum, location, faculty, rotations) so the only thing I can't compare is their latest matchlists. I'm interested in psychiatry and I would like to do my residency in a good teaching hospital.


I saw that you also interviewed the 14th. How did you find out so quickly? I thought the committee just met on wednesday?
 
so if people are getting phone calls, it's pretty obvious they're in. But what about those who get no call? is that waitlist/rejection?
 
🙂
Interview is done at last! Now just a waiting game. Any SDN'rs interview today (21st)?

Just curious, anyone out there with around a 3.5 and 30 MCAT score not get an acceptance post interview?

I would be SHOCKED if someone was rejected post-interview with those stats. When I asked the dean, he said rejections after interview are rare. (1st he asked me what my MCAT was, then he waved his hand--like don't worry). So unless you really f***ed up in the interview, like offended the interviewers or something, the chances of not receiving an acceptance are very small. I don't know about waitlist, but as long as the class isn't full, an acceptance is proabably on the way.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For those of you who got an acceptance letter in the mail, did the school call you as well? I'm trying to figure out if you are supposed to get a phone call saying you got in, or if you can get a snail mail acceptance letter without the phone call. Thanks!
 
Thanks psych,
Makes me feel a little better. I just want to know already! I would be so stoked if they called Wed. and didnt make me wait the two weeks for the letter in the mail.
 
For those of you who got an acceptance letter in the mail, did the school call you as well? I'm trying to figure out if you are supposed to get a phone call saying you got in, or if you can get a snail mail acceptance letter without the phone call. Thanks!

I was told at the interview that you will find out your decision by snail mail only. In fact, they said that the only way you can find out via phone call, fax, or E-mail is to justify why you need to find out so quickly (e.g., a pending deposit deadline for another school, etc.). However, I've heard from several people here on SDN that they were called with their acceptance. From what I was officially told and the fact that I and most others received their acceptances via snail mail, I would assume that is the norm.

As others have also stated, post-interview acceptance is very high - likely indicating they screen pretty closely pre-interview.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
 
I was told at the interview that you will find out your decision by snail mail only. In fact, they said that the only way you can find out via phone call, fax, or E-mail is to justify why you need to find out so quickly (e.g., a pending deposit deadline for another school, etc.). However, I've heard from several people here on SDN that they were called with their acceptance. From what I was officially told and the fact that I and most others received their acceptances via snail mail, I would assume that is the norm.

As others have also stated, post-interview acceptance is very high - likely indicating they screen pretty closely pre-interview.

Hope this helps, and good luck!


This does help, thanks so much!😀
 
Argh.

Someone from the admissions dept just called me (yeah, 7pm on Friday night) to tell me they wanted to offer me an interview, even though my secondary wasn't complete. I would have done it if it wasn't so much more to go there over what I will be paying to attend/live at DMU. I probably would have had to complete the secondary, but didn't ask.

Having said that, nicer weather and closer proximity to my home state would be nice. Its hard to blow the school off. Hopefully it wasn't a bad decision. I hate when something like that happens to make me second guess big decisions.

Anyone pick COMP over DMU? I know the one guy above did for NWT. I'm not interested in that, though.
 
I have been accepted to both, and am still deciding, but I think I'm going to go with Western. DMU is definitely a solid program. I think their facilities are a little better, but Western's clinical rotations and weather tipped the scale for me. Facilities only matter so much, since you're only going to be in class for the first 2 years anyway. At this point, I don't think that DMU guarantees rotations for everyone in Des Moines, and the prospect of driving between small towns in Iowa for rotations third year, in -10F weather and a 10 inches of snow, just didn't appeal to me (obviously I'm exaggerating a bit here, but not by much).

My undergrad was in a really snowy and cold area, and I wasn't very happy (and I'm used to the snow!). Obviously, the 9 months of electives are awesome at DMU, and their OMM program is really strong, but I believe I will get the same education at Western, and I would prefer to have it done in a warm area. I've always wanted to experience living in California, so that is another reason why I think I will chose it over DMU. Arrowhead is a great hospital to train in, and has good residency programs, and the ability to rotate at big name institutions like USC and UCLA in fourth year is a big plus. Coming from a Cali school could have a small but important advantage in possibly securing residency in Cali (I wouldn't want to stay in Iowa for residency anyway).

Just my thoughts... hope that helps.
 
For those of you who got an acceptance letter in the mail, did the school call you as well? I'm trying to figure out if you are supposed to get a phone call saying you got in, or if you can get a snail mail acceptance letter without the phone call. Thanks!

Yeah, I wouldn't worry too much. I got a call from the Dean that I got accepted then another person who interviewed the same day as me didnt get called and he decided to make a trip to the school to find out. It turns out he was accepted just wasn't called. GL
 
Hi, I got an interview for the mid March. I wonder how many spots are filled, and what is the capacity of the class? Do you think at this time they are interviewing for the waitlist spots?

thanks
 
Anyone gonna do the ISAC prog? I'm in and wanted to see if anyone else on here is. PM i'll add you on facebook.
 
whats your MCAT if you don't mind me asking?


lol, my MCAT is only a 31. That's why I said I'd be shocked if jyland didn't get in. The vibe the dean gave me before even leaving that day was that I was already accepted since post-interview rejections are so uncommon.
 
Madcye-
I am virtually certain that I am going to do ISAC, I am #13 on the list of interested folks.
Might make the first term easier. we'll see.
 
#13 for ISAC? have you received any more info about it? i dunno what # i am, but i requested info about it a while back, got told i was put in some list and haven't heard anything since x.x
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
#13 for ISAC? have you received any more info about it? i dunno what # i am, but i requested info about it a while back, got told i was put in some list and haven't heard anything since x.x

You should be fine then. I talked to Kuehn and he said we'll prob start about June 16th and end Aug 1st.

Madcye-
I am virtually certain that I am going to do ISAC, I am #13 on the list of interested folks.
Might make the first term easier. we'll see.

I'm right after you on the list. Yeah, I took a year off already from school so this last summer doesnt mean as much for me. I wanna get back into the groove of schooling.

FYI, if you guys want I got the old syllabus and schedule from Kuehn but he said it'll change but at least its something to look over. You guys gonna do any prep work before the summer?
 
Taking ISAC 2007 in the summer made the transition to med school easier. You don't have anymore anatomy from August until mid-October. Everyone in your class will be asking for your help to study...

Just need to get 80% or higher, and you become an Anatomy teaching assistant in the fall. Take that "free" time to preview for the Head & Neck Anatomy lecture & lab (a separate class from Gross Anatomy).

No need to do prep work before summer. Gross Anatomy is new to most people if you didn't take it in undergrad or post bacc. Just dive into your cadaver & use your "Netter's Anatomy Atlas" & "Color Atlas of Anatomy" a lot! I also recommend the "Netter's Anatomy flashcards" to quiz yourself before the exams; it does not replace the Altas though.
 
Gross Anatomy is new to most people if you didn't take it in undergrad or post bacc.


Does that mean you can be accepted into the program without having taken anatomy as an undergrad? I thought you needed anatomy to be considered.

Getting me all excited over here...
 
the weight of the world has just been lifted off my shoulders. So people who didn't get a phone call, you don't need to stress too much, they send acceptances to people without calling them!

FINALLY!!


see you guys in August!!
 
the weight of the world has just been lifted off my shoulders. So people who didn't get a phone call, you don't need to stress too much, they send acceptances to people without calling them!

FINALLY!!


see you guys in August!!

Congrats! join the facebook group if your on. COMP 2012 You gotta be in the network first which means you need your Western email.
 
Does that mean you can be accepted into the program without having taken anatomy as an undergrad? I thought you needed anatomy to be considered.

Getting me all excited over here...


Nope. I was a communications & psychology major. No anatomy at all before starting. Just worked hard at it. Practice identifying stuff in the lab every day. Its not brain surgery, just cut & identify the structure & its function!

Also, we had 18 ISAC teaching assistants, and we worked/tutored in the lab every other day in the fall on a rotation schedule of A & B groups. The capacity of the normal class is 220, and they will also rotate in the lab, every other day in A & B groups.

Good luck!
 
Nope. I was a communications & psychology major. No anatomy at all before starting. Just worked hard at it. Practice identifying stuff in the lab every day. Its not brain surgery, just cut & identify the structure & its function!

Also, we had 18 ISAC teaching assistants, and we worked/tutored in the lab every other day in the fall on a rotation schedule of A & B groups. The capacity of the normal class is 220, and they will also rotate in the lab, every other day in A & B groups.

Good luck!
i think mrd5003 was referring to anatomy being a requirement to enter the ISAC program (which i thought you needed, according to our admissions guidebook), not the DO program in general ^^;;

Admissions Guidebook said:
You may be qualified if your science GPA is 3.35 or higher and your MCAT average is 8.7 or above. It is required to have had an anatomy course in your undergraduate background because of the rapid pace of this course.
 
spazz, when did you interview? Also, if you do not mind me asking, what was your gpa and mcat stats...

Congrats !!!!!
I am hoping to hear some good news hopefully soon.
 
i just sent in all my immunizations and health stuff to touro ny but also sent a new Letter of Recommendation to Western maybe i can persuade them to get me off the waitlist. 🙁 I already sent a LOI to them and now this. I want to get in sooooo badly to Western. anyone else has any ideas what else i can DO?
 
hey, i am in teh same situation as the guy several posts above me. never heard back from my first choice program (pcom) and have to deal with other choices. sent a deposit in to touro nyc, but that was a safety net. now trying to choose between western and azcom, am having TONS of trouble. i absolutely hate the area but love every other aspect of western. can anyone comment on hospital connections, out-of-state rotation possibilties?
 
hey, i am in teh same situation as the guy several posts above me. never heard back from my first choice program (pcom) and have to deal with other choices. sent a deposit in to touro nyc, but that was a safety net. now trying to choose between western and azcom, am having TONS of trouble. i absolutely hate the area but love every other aspect of western. can anyone comment on hospital connections, out-of-state rotation possibilties?

I think the area isn't as bad as everyone thinks. Sure there are its moments but I've lived in this general area most of my life and never really had a prob. However, LA is a commuter sphere so it hardly matters since your gonna be driving to campus, campus is safe then getting back into your car and driving back to a "nicer" area.

If you read through this thread I remember people posting Rotations Sites and Match list. I would think out-of-state rotations depend more on you then your school (grades, boards and motivation). Good luck and LA isn't doesn't get as hot as AZ 😉
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sending my second 1000$ deposit to Western this week. Its 99.9% official, see you guys in August!!!!!!
😀
 
I just sent in my second $1,000.00 too!! Not too psyched about being broke, but very awesome to be finished with the application process. See you in August!
 
Hey are there any Californians debating whether they should overnight their deposit? I have two other allo acceptances but I am completely heartbroken by the thought of moving out of CA. $1k is a lot to donate to Western if I decide not to go...
🙁