WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received the great news over the phone today about getting off the alternate list!! Never been happier in my entire life. I'm looking foward to meeting all of you when class starts this Monday. Did I miss anything crucially important during the orientation this week?

Members don't see this ad.

what do i do? i got a call and they asked me to call back immediately about an acceptance. i have no idea what to do?! UGH! i was supposed to leave tomorrow to go to New York. When does school start at western?

omg congratulations to you both. I'm also on the alternate list since December, but unfortunately for me, I did not get any phone calls this afternoon. I couldn't be happier for you both. I've been following this thread for a very long time and really wanted to go to Western too. Best of luck to GaryPham and Ellinopedo.

Members don't see this ad :)
i cant get a hold of anyone at admissions! lol. i got the ok from my friends and family to take the acceptance if they give it to me!

so, im in. :) see you guys either friday or monday!

btw, how does the award letter work? at touro i just applied for loans through citibank and whatever touro accepted the signed for (max in stafford, etc.). Financial aid told me to wait till i get an award letter first before applying for loans? I just want to get everything done asap.

Anything that you need to buy (equipment-wise) for first year will not be necessary right away. You can take care of purchasing it during the first week (or maybe 2 weeks?) Sales reps will be at the bookstore with some pretty good deals.

With that in mind, this is what you need (going from memory):

Stethoscope
Dx kit (Ophthalamascope / Otoscope)
Blood Pressure Cuffs (Adult, Large Adult. Pedi is optional.)
Tuning forks
Reflex Hammer
Penlight
Pocket Snellen Eye Chart

Personally, I skimped on the BP cuffs, and went high-end on the stethoscope and Dx kit. In first year, you only use these to a marginal amount, but they ARE required for your standardized patient encounters.

As far as books are concerned, that's a matter of preference. To start off, though, you'll need a Netter atlas of human anatomy, which will become your best friend. I also highly recommend the Netter flash cards and the Rohen color atlas of anatomy ("Dead Body Book.") I would NOT buy the giant Principles of Osteopathic Medicine Book - you basically never use it.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions on things you may need / not need.

-SB

Hi,

Equipments required ? Buy or not? What budget?

1. Stethoscope
2.Sphygmomanometer set
3. Pen light
4.Opthalmoscope
5.Otoscope with insufflator & disposable
ear speculums
6.tongue blades
7.Tuning forks
8. Reflex hammer
9. Short clinic jacket
10. Watch with second hand feature
11. Black-ink ballpoint pen

Any suggestions?
S

Equipments required ? Buy or not? What budget?

1. Stethoscope
2.Sphygmomanometer set
3. Pen light
4.Opthalmoscope
5.Otoscope with insufflator & disposable
ear speculums
6.tongue blades
7.Tuning forks
8. Reflex hammer
9. Short clinic jacket
10. Watch with second hand feature
11. Black-ink ballpoint pen

Everything on that list is REQUIRED. There will be an equipment check.
However, you won't be using them very much, especially in first year.
The "short clinic jacket" is your white coat, which will be bestowed upon you. You should already have a watch with a second hand, and a black-ink ballpoint pen. I keep the latter in my coat. Tongue blades will be available in the rooms, usually

A pen light, Tuning forks, reflex hammers, and disposable ear speculums are available in the bookstore, usually around $5-6 each, so no problem there.

Personally, I spent a lot on a a stethoscope and an ophthalamascope/ otoscope kit. I only spent about $25 each on an adult sphygmomonometer (BP cuff!) and for a large adult model. Pedi is optional. You can buy a really expensive, one-hand operation model, but I didn't see that as a priority.

Ultimately, how much you spend will be determined by your own budget. I think I posted a little something on this earlier in the thread.

so, im in. :) see you guys either friday or monday!

btw, how does the award letter work? at touro i just applied for loans through citibank and whatever touro accepted the signed for (max in stafford, etc.). Financial aid told me to wait till i get an award letter first before applying for loans? I just want to get everything done asap.

Congrats! Whats your name? I'll keep a look out for you.