WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

i just personally emailed Dean Adams explaining how much I would love to attend Western next year and some other stuff. I hope I didn't go over board, but I know class is getting pretty full and I want Dr. Adam's to know that I am still interested and dedicated. I hope there is alternate movement soon.
 
hi everyone,

does anyone feel the same way? i feel like i don't know anything/not doing anything before August.

I didn't get any information on what is the next step besides the body check. Are we suppose to register for classes or get textbooks?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i just personally emailed Dean Adams explaining how much I would love to attend Western next year and some other stuff. I hope I didn't go over board, but I know class is getting pretty full and I want Dr. Adam's to know that I am still interested and dedicated. I hope there is alternate movement soon.

yeah i've been writing letters of intent to the admissions office, but i have yet to hear from them. is it true the class is full? does anyone know if they pull a lot of people off the alternate list? and when?
 
yeah i've been writing letters of intent to the admissions office, but i have yet to hear from them. is it true the class is full? does anyone know if they pull a lot of people off the waitlist? and when?


I called the admissions office to see about my status. Apparently I have to submit some additional stuff before the committee reviews my app. But admissions mentioned that the class is not full, only 75% of the spots are taken and they are conducting interviews all this month.

No mention of a waitlist. Hope this helps.
 
I called the admissions office to see about my status. Apparently I have to submit some additional stuff before the committee reviews my app. But admissions mentioned that the class is not full, only 75% of the spots are taken and they are conducting interviews all this month.

No mention of a waitlist. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info! wow who did you talk to? the admissions counselors i speak never give me info at all. i'm very relieved to hear that the class is not 100% full yet. Best of luck to you!
 
hi everyone,

does anyone feel the same way? i feel like i don't know anything/not doing anything before August.

I didn't get any information on what is the next step besides the body check. Are we suppose to register for classes or get textbooks?


Weren't you going to do the ISAC Program?
 
Hi can anyone comment on DO 5001 Summer Preparatory Program, as whether it is helpful and when does it start and end?


thanks
 
Hi can anyone comment on DO 5001 Summer Preparatory Program, as whether it is helpful and when does it start and end?


thanks

Yes 🙂 I’m planning on doing the SMSPP program, although depending upon the housing situation, I might end up doing ISAC.

Here’s what I know about SMSPP…
Dates: June 30th—July 25th (4 weeks)
Topics: Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry/Genetics, Microbiology/Immunology, and Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine
First 3 weeks: gross anatomy small group discussions in morning followed by didactic lectures in afternoon
4th week: all the other classes
$475 (due the day classes start)

If you have any questions about the program, contact Martha Ruelas [email protected] 909-469-5325. Or if you message me with your email address, I can send you the application and letter.


I heard from someone that ISAC is no longer taking student. I spoke to Martha about 2 weeks ago and she said there's still plenty of space.
 
I was, but decided to spend my last free summer travelling to asia...👍😍

seriously, everyone is breathing down my back to get a leg up. I'm going to europe. I wish i was going back to asia though. where are you headed?
 
I was, but decided to spend my last free summer travelling to asia...👍😍

hahha I beat you there! j/k I am in Taiwan right now though. I took a year off so this whole last summer thing doesnt mean much to me. I wanna get back to work. 👍 ENJOY YOSELF!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For me it's HAWAII > Japan or China or Korea > maybe Australia > A few countries in Europe.
It's going to be a globaltrip 😀
 
is that just for med students?

Summer Prep Program is not just for DO med students. There are PA & PT students mixed in with guys. The PA & PT students don't get the intro to OMT. Also, you don't do any dissections; you just watch the ISAC students do dissections. Also, you do not get credit for taking the summer prep course. Since its non-graded, its possible people don't work as hard during the summer.

In my opinion, if you are gonna spend your summer studying before real classes start, take ISAC Anatomy. That is a better prep for med school.

In ISAC, you get a real course grade, and don't have to take gross anatomy in the fall.

Also, you don't have to pay extra tuition for ISAC... Summer Prep Program has a participation fee.
 
Hi,
I will be a first-year at Western next year. I am looking for housing for me, my husband, and my 3 kids (ages 4,6,7). We are hoping that someone might be willing to share a house with us and split the rent costs. We can pay up to 1100/month. We would need two bedrooms.
Let me know if anyone is interested!!
By the way, we plan to move from Long Beach in June.
 
After sending in the deposit, did anyone receive a packet in the mail regarding admissions stuff? I was under the impression that there was a packet sent out via snail mail.
 
After sending in the deposit, did anyone receive a packet in the mail regarding admissions stuff? I was under the impression that there was a packet sent out via snail mail.

Yeah I got a packet with the book, "The D.O.'s: Osteopathic Medicine in America", a congratulatory letter and admissions req's.
 
Hey I'd just like to say hi class of 2012! Just recently been accepted and was wondering if anyone would like to room together? I'm interested in renting a house with 2-3 other people, so please pm me if interested thanks! *I live in socal so finding a house wouldn't be too hard for me to go and check them out*
 
Hey I'd just like to say hi class of 2012! Just recently been accepted and was wondering if anyone would like to room together? I'm interested in renting a house with 2-3 other people, so please pm me if interested thanks! *I live in socal so finding a house wouldn't be too hard for me to go and check them out*

Maybe you can try the facebook group for more leads. Congrats! COMP 2012
 
Does anyone know when there is usually waitlist movement for Western? And how many people are on the waitlist and get accepted from it?

Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know when there is usually waitlist movement for Western? And how many people are on the waitlist and get accepted from it?

Thanks!

i wish it was that easy. lol. all i know, according to Natalie, is that the last day of interviews is this week on the 17th. Then I guess its our turn, if the class isn't full. I hear it is and i have heard that its only 75%. So i don't know. All I do know is that I want to go to Western. 😀
 
it;'s been said countless times, but if you're on the waitlist, you're shot at getting in is very high
 
i wish it was that easy. lol. all i know, according to Natalie, is that the last day of interviews is this week on the 17th. Then I guess its our turn, if the class isn't full. I hear it is and i have heard that its only 75%. So i don't know. All I do know is that I want to go to Western. 😀
You've heard what is 75%? You mean you've heard full and 75%?

Thanks for responding!

Wish someone from previous years would give some insight on the movement and timeframe...
 
Ok ya'll its official. I’m submitting my deposit for the incoming class. Looks like I will definitely attend unless I am pulled off the WL at Boston U. Looking forward to moving back to CA.😀
 
Anyone else not receive this packet?

I haven't either. I talked to a woman in the admissions office and she said that they might not be sending that book out anymore. Didn't say why. I also never received my post-deposit e-mail so I had to e-mail Ana Garcia to get her to send me the health forms, etc. Hope that answers some questions.
 
I haven't either. I talked to a woman in the admissions office and she said that they might not be sending that book out anymore. Didn't say why. I also never received my post-deposit e-mail so I had to e-mail Ana Garcia to get her to send me the health forms, etc. Hope that answers some questions.

If they're no longer sending out the book, and if anyone wants it, I'd be happy to send you a copy. I actually have 2 copies of the book: one that I purchased before, and one that I received from the packet Western sent out.
 
Hi,
I will be a first-year at Western next year. I am looking for housing for me, my husband, and my 3 kids (ages 4,6,7). We are hoping that someone might be willing to share a house with us and split the rent costs. We can pay up to 1100/month. We would need two bedrooms.
Let me know if anyone is interested!!
By the way, we plan to move from Long Beach in June.

you can probably get a 2bed apartment with your family with 1100-1200 in alhambra/rosemead area, which will be about 30 min away from western

then you won't have the hassel of looking for roomates and sharing apts, cuz not that many med students would want to share a house with 3 kids that age (no offense)
 
Hey guys, I have a question about Western. How much will it hurt my chances if I take the MCATs near the end of August? I heard they start rolling admissions in September, but I'm not sure.
 
Hey guys, I have a question about Western. How much will it hurt my chances if I take the MCATs near the end of August? I heard they start rolling admissions in September, but I'm not sure.
You'll be fine buddy. I took the MCAT in late August, and actually took a long time sending in my primaries to DO schools. I don't think I finished AACOMAS until November. Don't worry about it, the admissions are rolling but you still have a lot of time.
 
ya thats what i did too, took the MCAT in late august, sent in my stuff after my long post-MCAT mexico trip (in october)... AACOMAS sent it out in late october, secondaries in nov/december then almost immediately got my interview

good luck
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have another question. So I need LORs from 2 science, 1 non science, and 1 MD/DO. The science teachers that I know are exercise bio 117 (he's actually and MD) and EVE 101 (ecology). Would that be ok? Also, for the non science, is a language teacher ok? And would it be a beneficial to get a 5th one from a lab technician with whom I did research with? I know it will be very good.
 
Hey guys, I have a question about Western. How much will it hurt my chances if I take the MCATs near the end of August? I heard they start rolling admissions in September, but I'm not sure.

they start accepting applications as soon as ACOMAS is available to be submitted, which is early june. interview invites as early as august-september.
 
I have another question. So I need LORs from 2 science, 1 non science, and 1 MD/DO. The science teachers that I know are exercise bio 117 (he's actually and MD) and EVE 101 (ecology). Would that be ok? Also, for the non science, is a language teacher ok? And would it be a beneficial to get a 5th one from a lab technician with whom I did research with? I know it will be very good.

as far as what courses the professors teach, it really doesn't matter cuz the adcom will never know. The prof doesnt sign his name "Joe Blow So and So and I teach ecology", its "Dr. So and So, Associate Professor, Department of Natural and Mathematical Sciences" or what have you. For the record, my recs came from and ecology prof and a gen bio prof, so it really doesnt matter at all. That being said, I'd try and get a committee letter together instead of the three individual letters. I have no evidence to back this up whatsoever, but I just think it looks better when you have a whole group of Phd's talking you up.
 
i support that too, i do think a committee letter would look better, i know some schools have their pre-med committee write a cover letter for students

too bad my school wouldn't do that for us

however, i tried to find the most well known scientist/doc to write my letters, but those prof. are usually the most popular ones, its hard to get to know them and its hard to get a LOR from them, (but i still think it would be better)

most of my prof. have strict rules about who to write LOR for. one of them told me that they generally get 200~300 request per year....although i was also told that first time LOR writers usually write better letters
 
hey guys,
One thing, I agree with you, Pomona is a pretty ****ty area, however it can be a lot of fun, there is a lot around it, if you have a car, there is so much around Pomona. Also, it's a really really really good place to learn medicine. COMP, I know the school does not look good, but man the professors that you get, the residencys that people match, and the level of attention that you get, it's AMAZING. If you are from CA, like me, go no where else, COMP is for you, also if you are thinking about staying CA, once again COMP has very very good rep for generating residents.
So, don't let Pomona change your decision, COMP is in Pomona, but it is NOT Pomona.
I dunno what this student is talking about. Western U has not been a good experience for the majority of my class. The school is TOTALLY like Pomona! If you have to stay in Cali, then fine, but otherwise, go to a school that is more organized.