WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
WOW. I feel really bad for you, man. I can't believe they could pull something like that on you... I mean, if they say that you have to get your deposit in by a certain date, and you send it in by that date, then they should be forced to give you a seat, even if they overestimated the number of people that would withdraw, right? Sometimes this happens... and the SCHOOLS have to bit the bullet by over-enrolling a class, or by offering a tuition scholarship for some students if they agree to postpone a year.

In any case, I hope everything works out for you and you'll be in med school come August. Keep up the hope!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Yea I would try and fight for a year's tuition as compensation and then travel the world for a year. Good luck!!

As a side note:
Is anyone else planning on moving to Pomona in August or is everyone trying to get there earlier?

anybody know when the first day of school is? or at least the first day accepted students are required to show up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Trying to show up as late as possible, eh? :laugh: Can't blame ya... Anyway, I think orientation starts August 4, WCC is August 9 and first day of classes is August 11.

I know there was a chance of this happening but the part that upsets me the most is that they never even informed me that I am in this situation. On my acceptance letter is states that if I am in this situation, they will call me and ask me if I am okay with deferring my acceptance to 2009 unless a spot opens up. But there was no phone call and my check was cashed without any notification. I just think there is something wrong with the way they do things. Now I understand why some of the MS1 were complaining about the administration. Anyways, I hope I am at the top, they cashed my check on may 2nd and had it by april 23rd. I guess I will just have to wait and see. And when I asked them how many people there were in my situation, she said she does not know. Thanks for all the help.

Sounds like you're getting some early exposure to the way things go around here. :laugh:

Seriously though, that sucks. I hope they let you in since they ****ed you over. Spots should still be opening up as people take last minute acceptances, so its not over yet.

Sounds like you're getting some early exposure to the way things go around here. :laugh:

Seriously though, that sucks. I hope they let you in since they ****ed you over. Spots should still be opening up as people take last minute acceptances, so its not over yet.

I just talked to the director and I guess I am not the only one in this situation. she was actually really nice. People should be getting a letter mailed to them if they are in this situation...I think. And also only 2 people have withdrew from the class thus far.

I just talked to the director and I guess I am not the only one in this situation. she was actually really nice. People should be getting a letter mailed to them if they are in this situation...I think. And also only 2 people have withdrew from the class thus far.

my question is that if two people have already withdrawn respectively.. has there been 2 people accepted off the waitlist?? Did that by any chance come up in your conversation? If so, did they anticipate when they will start accepting people who are on the waitlist? When I say waitlist I also imply the "high alternate list"...

my question is that if two people have already withdrawn respectively.. has there been 2 people accepted off the waitlist?? Did that by any chance come up in your conversation? If so, did they anticipate when they will start accepting people who are on the waitlist? When I say waitlist I also imply the "high alternate list"...

They accepted 2 people that are in the same situation as me..."accepted" and waiting for spots to open up. All the people in my situation will be accepted first and than they will start to pick from the "waitlist" if they have openings. I didnt know that they have a high alternate list. But as they get more withdrawls, they should be calling people informing them of a status change. I am not sure if I have answered your question.

They accepted 2 people that are in the same situation as me..."accepted" and waiting for spots to open up. All the people in my situation will be accepted first and than they will start to pick from the "waitlist" if they have openings. I didnt know that they have a high alternate list. But as they get more withdrawls, they should be calling people informing them of a status change. I am not sure if I have answered your question.

how do u know if you are on the high alternate list?

how do u know if you are on the high alternate list?

seeing as i've now dealt with how ridiculous this administration is to deal with, i wouldn't think anyone on this forum could even answer your question. call them, and be firm, as they seem to love to give you the good ol runaround

seeing as i've now dealt with how ridiculous this administration is to deal with, i wouldn't think anyone on this forum could even answer your question. call them, and be firm, as they seem to love to give you the good ol runaround

:confused: Should I tell them that if they do not accept me immediately they will terribly regret it and they will regret their decision?????

Anyone interested in looking for housing the last weekend in June. I flying out to Cali this month to look at neighborhoods... I dont have a roommate yet - No preference to location or sex (of the roommate - HA!). If anyone is interested please PM me.

Goodluck to all those on the WL - keep the faith!

Cheers,
D

Housing!! I've been looking craigslist bi-weekly, but it's almost useless to look for something this early. I am looking for a place with my husband, 2 dogs, and a cat, preferably in the Claremont area, because that's where other students recommended a granola girl like me to look. :)
I've also been trying to look on Banweb for housing, but it is frustrating they don't have any search options- I have to open up each one to say if they allow pets or have a yard/garage. Any suggestions with that? Anybody know of a way to find good housing this early?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody have any suggestions on this one? I have a repetitive stress injury in my left wrist that can't be completely diagnosed by doctors. I won't go into the medical history of it, but it's been two years and my main issue is puting weight on it... I know- not a good thing to have when starting DO school, and wanting to do the OMM fellowship! I love osteopathy because of the hands-on aspect.
The first doc said ganglion (didn't see one, but deduced), second doc said tendonitis, third doc took an MRI and said "not CTS, no scar tissue, no lig tear, no tendonitis imfl... must be synovitis. Keep taking lodine" All of these were decuctive diagnoses, and now I really don't have any more money to pay for doctors. I've quit all acitivies, stretch regularly, stopped my favorite job (massaging, sigh!), but still no improvement on the weight bearing/extension.
My main question is- what resources are there for DO students who have injuries that might impede on OMM practice? Are there a bunch of kick ass DO's I can see to get a clear diagnosis? Kaiser is a bit inadaquate.

Does anybody have any suggestions on this one? I have a repetitive stress injury in my left wrist that can't be completely diagnosed by doctors. I won't go into the medical history of it, but it's been two years and my main issue is puting weight on it... I know- not a good thing to have when starting DO school, and wanting to do the OMM fellowship! I love osteopathy because of the hands-on aspect.
The first doc said ganglion (didn't see one, but deduced), second doc said tendonitis, third doc took an MRI and said "not CTS, no scar tissue, no lig tear, no tendonitis imfl... must be synovitis. Keep taking lodine" All of these were decuctive diagnoses, and now I really don't have any more money to pay for doctors. I've quit all acitivies, stretch regularly, stopped my favorite job (massaging, sigh!), but still no improvement on the weight bearing/extension.
My main question is- what resources are there for DO students who have injuries that might impede on OMM practice? Are there a bunch of kick ass DO's I can see to get a clear diagnosis? Kaiser is a bit inadaquate.

Id say try Dr. Redding. He is going to be the instructor for the OMM course and he knows his craft very well. Also as a student he'll give you a discount. his email is [email protected]. His clinical hours are Mon and Thurs I think in the afternoons.

:confused: Should I tell them that if they do not accept me immediately they will terribly regret it and they will regret their decision?????

It indicates in your letter if you are high waitlist. It doesn't hurt to call them, but maybe not say those exact words.

It indicates in your letter if you are high waitlist. It doesn't hurt to call them, but maybe not say those exact words.

mine just said i was on the alternate list and to keep them informed of my interest.

Send them a letter every day.

Posted via Mobile Device

Send them a letter every day.

Posted via Mobile Device

Do you think that would be a little too much? ;)

Posted via Computer
<=== Nice one hahaha :bow:

TT is right, the only difference now is that you would have to buy stamps. :p

POSTED VIA FINGERTIPS, VIA LAPTOP, VIA WIRELESS INTERNET, VIA QWEST, VIA BLAH BLAH BLAH :ninja: hahahahaha :ninja:

Do you think that would be a little too much? ;)

Posted via Computer

If you already are writing letters of intent, ignore this.

Outside the shadowy dealings between admissions committee members, who knows how these waitlists work...are they somewhat flexible? Do candidates get moved around on a whim? I don't really know. I know there are some former admission committee members on this site. I think one is named LizzyM.

I think at this point, sending them a well-written, persuasive letter can only help you. If there is no action in a month, send them another one. Make sure any letters you send are different and that they relate the reasons why you want to attend Western.

I have no personal experience to gauge the success of writing letters of intent, but I've heard through this site of people getting off waitlists this way. It's just another way you can stand out.

I hope I see you in Pomona in August! Good luck!

<=== Nice One Hahaha :bow:

Tt Is Right, The Only Difference Now Is That You Would Have To Buy Stamps. :p

Posted Via Fingertips, Via Laptop, Via Wireless Internet, Via Qwest, Via Blah Blah Blah :ninja: Hahahahaha :ninja:

Lol.

If you already are writing letters of intent, ignore this.

Outside the shadowy dealings between admissions committee members, who knows how these waitlists work...are they somewhat flexible? Do candidates get moved around on a whim? I don't really know. I know there are some former admission committee members on this site. I think one is named LizzyM.

I think at this point, sending them a well-written, persuasive letter can only help you. If there is no action in a month, send them another one. Make sure any letters you send are different and that they relate the reasons why you want to attend Western.

I have no personal experience to gauge the success of writing letters of intent, but I've heard through this site of people getting off waitlists this way. It's just another way you can stand out.

I hope I see you in Pomona in August! Good luck!

i hope i can see all of you guys at western this august. at this point, i think i need to relax, because wherever i find myself in august, i will not have time to relax... so i think im going to be leaving soon for greece.

Sounds like a good idea - see you in August I hope.

Posted via cuneiform recognition program from my handy clay tablet

Sounds like a good idea - see you in August I hope.

Posted via cuneiform recognition program from my handy clay tablet
hahahahaha:lol::lol::lol:

Just a few days ago, they changed the SDN mobile site, and now it is putting that "posted from wireless device" **** at the bottom of my posts. Not that I really care. Just so y'all know I'm not typing it every time.

Just a few days ago, they changed the SDN mobile site, and now it is putting that "posted from wireless device" **** at the bottom of my posts. Not that I really care. Just so y'all know I'm not typing it every time.

no worries tt, we were just messing.

I just figured it was your signature, even on your home computer. hehehe Just messing with you TT :smuggrin:

whats going on? Anybody call/hear anything from admissions? When's this waitlist gonna start moving??

Is it gonna move?

Not one person has yet been accepted!

I must say I love the email system as how no one in administration ever EVER replies back to me so calling is an absolute must. As far as the waitlist, I presume it's just how high they ranked you at the meetings as far as who to accept and such and there's probably some influence of LOI otherwise it would be useless and I'm sure the school would inform you of that.

Hey elli did you decide on what car to get? GEEEZ between the M6 and the sl65? I forgot what you said specifically, but wow that'd be an awesome ride either way.:D

I must say I love the email system as how no one in administration ever EVER replies back to me so calling is an absolute must. As far as the waitlist, I presume it's just how high they ranked you at the meetings as far as who to accept and such and there's probably some influence of LOI otherwise it would be useless and I'm sure the school would inform you of that.

Hey elli did you decide on what car to get? GEEEZ between the M6 and the sl65? I forgot what you said specifically, but wow that'd be an awesome ride either way.:D

well, i dont know anymore if i should give up on western or not. i really wanted to come out to LA and to western, but after all this rollercoaster of emotions from this school, im thinking of just giving up. :( ugh. i just wish they had

Anyways, i am having some problems with my credit score and apparently i have a deragotory item from a few years ago that was just added a month ago and dropped my score almost 100 points!!!!! From have a pretty good credit score, and having everything paid on time, and all of a sudden this thing from 2 years ago (tmobile) came up i cannot get a grad plus loan, they told me that even a cosigner wont help my situation (i think she was lying).

anyways, if everything works out with the grad plus loan and i do get into western, i think i am going to go with a 2003 CL600/SL55 or a 2004 E55 AMG. M6 and SL65 are a bit too much for me right now.

I think you should be ok as long as your cosigner doesn't have any discrepancies within the last 5 years. I hope you make it in.

I think you should be ok as long as your cosigner doesn't have any discrepancies within the last 5 years. I hope you make it in.

i hope he doesnt. wherever i am meant to be i guess ill be next year.

Yeah I think their stats are pretty high compared to other DO schools.

Sorry yet for another posting (hey we're not really discussing much anyways!)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
================================================== ======
Anyone looking to live together for the next year? Looking for a close house for 4 people where rent will be about $500 I'm guessing. If anyone is interested please message me back!
Thanks!
================================================== ======

Just curious, where is everyones first choice? (For DO not everywhere)
I wanted to go to UCI since it's very close, but the next closet was western lol.

whats going on? Anybody call/hear anything from admissions? When's this waitlist gonna start moving??

Is it gonna move?

Not one person has yet been accepted!

I was on the waitlist for about a month when I was accepted (a few months ago). Just b/c you're not hearing about people getting off the waitlist doesn't mean there is no movement. Also, the waitlist isn't ranked or at least they won't tell you where you stand on it.

I was on the waiting list in Feb. for 2 weeks and was accepted by the end of Feb. I am not sure how the waiting list works though?

I was on the waiting list in Feb. for 2 weeks and was accepted by the end of Feb. I am not sure how the waiting list works though?

i think the only ones that were on the waitlist and were admitted early in the year ( like a few months ago) are those who were waiting on the NWT waitlist.

If it's anything like how they've done it in the past, they slowly take people off the waitlist during the course of the year, as spots become available. However, once it reaches this stage in the game, they basically wait to see how many spots become available (due to withdrawals, etc) and do a mass acceptance for whatever spots open up. Then it's first-come, first-serve. For example, if 10 spots become availalbe, and they grant 20 acceptances, the first 10 people will get those spots...the remaining 10 will be accepted for the Class of 2013. This is good if you have no other acceptance...however, if you DO have an acceptance elsewhere (as was the case with me last year), you have a difficult decision to make.
Those letters should probably be going out soon. They do continue to take people as spots become available during the summer, some as late as the week before classes begin in August.

Good luck!

Sent an official email to Ana Garcia today so hopefully one of you gets my spot!!! Was looking forward to meeting you all but maybe sometime in the near future! Good luck everyone!

thanks! i just wish the waitlist would start moving already!

thanks! i just wish the waitlist would start moving already!

ellinopedo, I'm rooting for you too, especially because now I'm only 4 spots away from getting into Touro! Though it would be cool if you were there too :)

ellinopedo, I'm rooting for you too, especially because now I'm only 4 spots away from getting into Touro! Though it would be cool if you were there too :)

i can tell you that you are pretty much in, 4 spots are not that many, esp. since we have more than a month and a half to go. ;)

UGH, is western still operating? lol. its been a bit too quite over there.

UGH, is western still operating? lol. its been a bit too quite over there.

Hang in there ellinopedo, I'm on a waitlist too and I know how brutal the wait con be, but there really isn't much that can be done at this point...just wait, hope, pray. I feel your pain lol

Just finished the third day of ISAC - there are 24 of us and we dove right in! I love my lenovo and OneNote, now that I get how to use it.

Looking forward to meeting everyone else in the fall.

Just finished the third day of ISAC - there are 24 of us and we dove right in! I love my lenovo and OneNote, now that I get how to use it.

Looking forward to meeting everyone else in the fall.

wow u guys already doing ISAC and im just getting ready to leave for greece. i feel like a bum.

Question about secondaries from 07-08 cycle.....
The new 2009 Osteopathic Medical College Info Book states:

Supplemental Application Requirements:
Average sci GPA of 3.5, average overall GPA of 3.5, average MCAT 9.32

Did anyone receive secondaries in the ballpark of those figures -- (I'm 0.2 away from the avg overall GPA :scared:) -- that's why I asK!

Thanks!

Did anyone receive secondaries in the ballpark of those figures -- (I'm 0.2 away from the avg overall GPA :scared:) -- that's why I asK!

Thanks!

If you're a qualified candidate, you will receive a secondary. My science GPA was higher while my overall was lower, MCAT was a 28, and that's where I'm going!

Thanks!

Averages are just that...averages. Plenty of applicants get in with lower stats. A 3.3 GPA, while not fantastic, isn't really going to be a hinderance for you. According to those stats, the average MCAT is about a 28, but my good friend got in with a 25. Its all relative, but they really do look at the applicant as a whole and not just the numbers. You should be just fine, and Good Luck!