WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Averages are just that...averages. Plenty of applicants get in with lower stats. A 3.3 GPA, while not fantastic, isn't really going to be a hinderance for you. According to those stats, the average MCAT is about a 28, but my good friend got in with a 25. Its all relative, but they really do look at the applicant as a whole and not just the numbers. You should be just fine, and Good Luck!
Sorry -- that was supposed to be a 0.02. I have a 3.48 -- but the information given still applies! :) thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry -- that was supposed to be a 0.02. I have a 3.48 -- but the information given still applies! :) thanks!

Blondeshell...we both know you will succeed no matter if you got a 2.75. You will do just fine. Remember you are the BOMB as in...blondeBOMBshell15 hehehe

Supplemental Application Requirements:
Average sci GPA of 3.5, average overall GPA of 3.5, average MCAT 9.32

Did anyone receive secondaries in the ballpark of those figures -- (I'm 0.2 away from the avg overall GPA :scared:) -- that's why I asK!

I'm going to agree with most everyone else on this topic so far...those are averages and not requirements. My GPA, no matter how you sliced it, was much lower than that. I also had a nice shiny MCAT score. So these things definitely work on a sliding scale.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is all supply and demand. The school knows that people really want to goto med schools. Whether you agree with me or not, most DO matriculants likely prefer to goto an MD school but had to settle on a DO program which is usually MUCH more expensive than state MD schools which most applicants tried for but couldn't get into. So, DO students have to bite the bullet and pay this amount of money.

I've been to Western and heard the current students opinions. The campus is crap. They charge 5 cents for any print out of lecture notes/pwr pts (most of the MD schools I've interviewed at allows sufficient number (100 +/day) of b/w print outs for free at school and a decent number of color print outs (20+) for free. All this is included in tuition. And they cost like 25K-30K/yr. AND they have great buildings AND they have great clinical affiliations.

So, what is the justification for this sort of increase when the campus is crap, they charge you for everything, they don't have a gym like most schools and only reimburse you $100/yr for an outside gym membership.....they only have moderately good clinical sites (actually decent).

So sad that DO students have to put up with this....but then again, we all desperately want to become doctors.

FYI, there's been a 10K tuition increase since 2003 to 2008.

I feel your pain, dude. Most DO schools don't receive public and private funds, so they have to rely heavily on tuition and deposit checks to keep their business going. Like you said, we all want to become doctors so we have to keep a stiff upper lip. :mad:

Blondeshell...we both know you will succeed no matter if you got a 2.75. You will do just fine. Remember you are the BOMB as in...blondeBOMBshell15 hehehe
Thanks Ocho! You da BOMB:)

I would love to hear from Western tomorrow before i leave for greece on tuesday. how nice that would be.

I would love to hear from Western tomorrow before i leave for greece on tuesday. how nice that would be.

maybe we'll both get good news tomorrow! Or, maybe you'll get good news first, which will be the direct cause of my good news. Even though I really want you to go to Touro NY :luck:

maybe we'll both get good news tomorrow! Or, maybe you'll get good news first, which will be the direct cause of my good news. Even though I really want you to go to Touro NY :luck:

aww. i feel like i am already making friends at touro.

aww. i feel like i am already making friends at touro.

Awww... but ellinopedo, all of us at Western feel like we already know you too! You're already a celebrity with us! I think I speak for a good deal of us when we say we're all waiting with baited breath and cheering you on!

If you don't hear back before your trip to Greece, I hope you have a great trip and return home with some wonderful news.

Awww... but ellinopedo, all of us at Western feel like we already know you too! You're already a celebrity with us! I think I speak for a good deal of us when we say we're all waiting with baited breath and cheering you on!

If you don't hear back before your trip to Greece, I hope you have a great trip and return home with some wonderful news.

thanks! i know i feel the same way about western too and those going there! I would love to hear news from them, hopefully soon. I am leaving for Greece tomorrow morning but will be logging on probably daily just to see whats going on and to leave any good news.

i do feel like no one has been accepted yet off the waitlist at western (other than for NWT).

i do feel like no one has been accepted yet off the waitlist at western (other than for NWT).

yea I called the admissions office few days ago to ask about waitlist movement and natalie told me that there hasn't been any movement in like the last 3-4 months. I don't know quite what to make of that. Still keeping my fingers crossed though

Especially since there have been several folks on here that have already withdrawn... weird...

Well still.. I hope you have an great time in Greece! I'm taking a Mexico trip before school starts too... just one last hurrah before I lock down and have no social life for 7 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Especially since there have been several folks on here that have already withdrawn... weird...

Well still.. I hope you have an great time in Greece! I'm taking a Mexico trip before school starts too... just one last hurrah before I lock down and have no social life for 7 years.

im hoping if i get into LA, i could take a trip to Cabo with my fiance before school starts.

BTW, i feel so bad for the admissions office, e.g. natalie and stuff, i have probably bored them with LOI, LOR's, Status Updates, and other stuff. They are all so nice to me so far.

thanks! i know i feel the same way about western too and those going there! I would love to hear news from them, hopefully soon. I am leaving for Greece tomorrow morning but will be logging on probably daily just to see whats going on and to leave any good news.

Ellinopedo182, I know how much you want to get in at Western, so I just wanted to tell you I truly hope you get in. I just got accepted off the waitlist to my top choice today, so I'll be calling Western first thing in the morning to let them know I'll be withdrawing. I hope you get the spot! Best of luck!

Lol I honestly post here about housing too much.
Ok so again another person from the group might be leaving for another medical school since they were accepted off of waitlist, but she's still thinking (it's like 50/50).
Anyways I've already found the place, have the contracts and have everything ready to go. The room up for rent is about 12 by 12 or so and it's located in claremont 3.5 miles from school. It's in a really nice, clean area so please PM me with your email if you'd like pictures. There's a bit of a contingency that this needs to be done quickly as we're getting a lot better rates if we sign the contract now to begin housing on the 5th.
Thanks!

I also forgot to include the price!
So it's $490 a month

Ellinopedo182, I know how much you want to get in at Western, so I just wanted to tell you I truly hope you get in. I just got accepted off the waitlist to my top choice today, so I'll be calling Western first thing in the morning to let them know I'll be withdrawing. I hope you get the spot! Best of luck!

thanks soooo much. i hope i do too. i just got a letter from NSU asking if i was still interested in their school since im on the waitlist. that was out of the blue. i have activated my international roaming since im in greece now, just in case they call to make an offer, but i have heard they usually send certified mail.

What do we need to buy for our first year in the DO program?
I couldn't find a list on westernu.

I just withdrew my acceptance (NWT). Good luck guys!

What do we need to buy for our first year in the DO program?
I couldn't find a list on westernu.

Anything that you need to buy (equipment-wise) for first year will not be necessary right away. You can take care of purchasing it during the first week (or maybe 2 weeks?) Sales reps will be at the bookstore with some pretty good deals.

With that in mind, this is what you need (going from memory):

Stethoscope
Dx kit (Ophthalamascope / Otoscope)
Blood Pressure Cuffs (Adult, Large Adult. Pedi is optional.)
Tuning forks
Reflex Hammer
Penlight
Pocket Snellen Eye Chart

Personally, I skimped on the BP cuffs, and went high-end on the stethoscope and Dx kit. In first year, you only use these to a marginal amount, but they ARE required for your standardized patient encounters.

As far as books are concerned, that's a matter of preference. To start off, though, you'll need a Netter atlas of human anatomy, which will become your best friend. I also highly recommend the Netter flash cards and the Rohen color atlas of anatomy ("Dead Body Book.") I would NOT buy the giant Principles of Osteopathic Medicine Book - you basically never use it.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions on things you may need / not need.

-SB

anyone hear anything new regarding waitlist movement yet? :confused:

Littmann Cardiology III or Welch-Allyn Harvey Elite. If you can find a good deal somewhere, like on eBay, go ahead and get it now. If not, just wait. There is no rush. Also look for a otoscope/ophthalmoscope on eBay. There is a bunch of other crap you need, but don't worry about it yet, the other stuff is cheap anyway. Just try to find good deals on the expensive items.

Can someone suggest a good price range for steth/oto/opth? And should we be cautious of counterfeit/fake goods? Thanks!!

What makes a good stethoscope/otoscope? How do I know which one to buy? There's so many varieties. What's a good price range? What about a steal?

I've heard/read that the 3M Littmann Cardiology III is a good stethoscope to get and that's probably the one I'm going to end up buying. However, I have not heard anything about oto/opthalmoscopes so I second the question about how to choose those.

edit:
I've also heard that the more high end stethoscopes tend to go missing if you're not careful, so some choose to not get expensive equipment and say that they don't hear a difference.

Last edited:
What makes a good stethoscope/otoscope? How do I know which one to buy? There's so many varieties. What's a good price range? What about a steal?

There are 2 schools of thought on the oto/ophthalamoscope...one is that you buy a good product, knowing that it will last you. The other is that you spend as little as possible, knowing that you will hardly ever use it as a student, and that wherever you go, they will be available in the exam rooms.

With that in mind, the majority of people go with the Welch Allyn kit. You will be presented with the option of going with the Pan-Optic scope or the traditional Coaxial ophalamoscope. I went with the Pan-Optic (they like to push the Pan-Optic) with the co-axial thrown in "at cost." It's a good deal...BUT...bear in mind that almost no one teaches the Pan-Optic at this point. It's a little bit more difficult to use, but when you do get it right, your view is pretty amazing. As far as handles go, I would recommend Lithium Ion over the Ni-Cad. The Li-Ion has no battery memory, meaning you don't have to drain it before you recharge it.

As far as stethoscopes, I have a Littmann Cardiology III. (Special Anniversary All-Black edition, because that's how I roll.) ;)

I would wait until you hit campus before buying your equipment. The bookstore will have some pretty good deals when the reps are there.

I was wondering if the lab coat that we need to order run small or large. I am 5' 10 female with long arms. I am a medium build. So if they run large I would most likely get a medium if, but if they run small I would get a large. Does anyone know?????

I was also wondering about the text books. I saw that the first year student has a list of about 20 books for the first year. They site says they are required. ARE THEY?? If they are I want to try to buy them cheaper before school starts. (OR at least say what ones we will for sure need).

Thanks for any help!

I was also wondering about the text books. I saw that the first year student has a list of about 20 books for the first year. They site says they are required. ARE THEY?? If they are I want to try to buy them cheaper before school starts. (OR at least say what ones we will for sure need).

Thanks for any help!

I dont know about all the books but I've heard you really dont need to buy any except ones for anatomy. I'm in the ISAC course right now and personally I think the Thieme books are solid enough that you dont need the Netter's Book, maybe Rohens for lab. Some people swear by Netter's but I think its dated and doesnt give any context. :thumbup:

i see people dropping but no one getting accepted... whats going on!??!?!?!?!

ill be in mykonos on friday, i would love to get some sort of answer before then but i know that im just dreaming.

i see people dropping but no one getting accepted... whats going on!??!?!?!?!

Do you know if the waitlist is ranked? Because it could be that they're waiting for an admissions committee to meet to pull several people at once, especially if it's not a ranked waitlist. Did that make any sense?

Hopefully it doesn't mean the class is over-filled. I'm rooting for you el, although, as I've said before, it would be great to have you as a classmate :)

Do you know if the waitlist is ranked? Because it could be that they're waiting for an admissions committee to meet to pull several people at once, especially if it's not a ranked waitlist. Did that make any sense?

Hopefully it doesn't mean the class is over-filled. I'm rooting for you el, although, as I've said before, it would be great to have you as a classmate :)

i do not think its ranked, according to the letter i got from western, it said that the waitlist is not ranked and i should keep them updated and keep them informed of my interest!

i know other years it has been ranked so i dont know why this year its not.

i am really excited about tourocom and would love to meet all you guys there too. there are also a lot form western that i would love to meet too so i am torn. lol.

i do not think its ranked, according to the letter i got from western, it said that the waitlist is not ranked and i should keep them updated and keep them informed of my interest!

i know other years it has been ranked so i dont know why this year its not.

i am really excited about tourocom and would love to meet all you guys there too. there are also a lot form western that i would love to meet too so i am torn. lol.

I know some of you guys have been wondering why the waitlist hasn't really been moving, even though some people have withdrawn from the class...I think it might be because they over-accepted people this year, to the point that they requested some people to defer. Also, I personally know 2 people who were accepted, sent in their deposit, only to find out that there were no more sets left in the class. So some of these people are now part of the "accepted waitlist." Ellinopedo, sorry I'm not trying to dampen your spirits or anything, but I thought you should know about this. I hope you and others on the waitlist get accepted.

Anything that you need to buy (equipment-wise) for first year will not be necessary right away. You can take care of purchasing it during the first week (or maybe 2 weeks?) Sales reps will be at the bookstore with some pretty good deals.

With that in mind, this is what you need (going from memory):

Stethoscope
Dx kit (Ophthalamascope / Otoscope)
Blood Pressure Cuffs (Adult, Large Adult. Pedi is optional.)
Tuning forks
Reflex Hammer
Penlight
Pocket Snellen Eye Chart

Personally, I skimped on the BP cuffs, and went high-end on the stethoscope and Dx kit. In first year, you only use these to a marginal amount, but they ARE required for your standardized patient encounters.

As far as books are concerned, that's a matter of preference. To start off, though, you'll need a Netter atlas of human anatomy, which will become your best friend. I also highly recommend the Netter flash cards and the Rohen color atlas of anatomy ("Dead Body Book.") I would NOT buy the giant Principles of Osteopathic Medicine Book - you basically never use it.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions on things you may need / not need.

-SB
Could it possible that someone go through all required books and suggest
buying or not buying?

Thanks very much for all information through private message.

Hi GLENMARK-- I was wondering the same thing, since the list of required textbooks is huge. Could you possibly post the info you got through private messages?

I would also like to know the books that are really needed!

very little of the required books are actually necessary.

they make them "required" so that the military folks get them for free.

a netters might be useful but you can get through anatomy w/o it. Professors lecture out of ppt slides and you will study 99% out of them.

the only books you really will need are towards the second year when you start preparing for your boards

but, if i happen to be selling books under the stairway, dont let what i just said stop you from buying up the many required books i'm trying to sell!

Oh, and as far as the discussion on otoscope etc... buy the cheapest thing you can find since you wont use it at all except when they do this mandatory equipment check. they have them in the patient encounter rooms, and it's heavy in your pocket.

if you can design your own out of popsicle sticks and a candle I'de recommend it.

i just got back from greece last night and still nothing. oh well. i was stuck in NYC and shuffled between JFK and La Guardia, maybe thats a sign.

kiiiiinda late, but does anyone need a roommate?

I know some of you guys have been wondering why the waitlist hasn't really been moving, even though some people have withdrawn from the class...I think it might be because they over-accepted people this year, to the point that they requested some people to defer. Also, I personally know 2 people who were accepted, sent in their deposit, only to find out that there were no more sets left in the class. So some of these people are now part of the "accepted waitlist." Ellinopedo, sorry I'm not trying to dampen your spirits or anything, but I thought you should know about this. I hope you and others on the waitlist get accepted.
yeah, sorry, but I just wanted to echo this comment. They apparently sent out a large batch of acceptances in mid-April, accepting too many people. I was one who had completed all of the class of 2012 paperwork they sent when they told me they actually didnt have room for me.
No hard feelings, they returned my $2k for their mishap, but things arent looking positive for more Western acceptances :(

yeah, sorry, but I just wanted to echo this comment. They apparently sent out a large batch of acceptances in mid-April, accepting too many people. I was one who had completed all of the class of 2012 paperwork they sent when they told me they actually didnt have room for me.
No hard feelings, they returned my $2k for their mishap, but things arent looking positive for more Western acceptances :(

Wow. Just wow. This irresponsible practice is abhorring. How is this possible? Did they give you a spot for next year? Does this happen often? Good grief. :thumbdown:

Wow. Just wow. This irresponsible practice is abhorring. How is this possible? Did they give you a spot for next year? Does this happen often? Good grief. :thumbdown:
That's pretty much what I told them directly in order to get my money back. But, for what it's worth, they did guarantee me (and the others) a spot for next year. :rolleyes:
As far as happening often, Ms. Hanson said something along the lines of 'This oversight has never happened before and we apologize...'. From reading here I would think otherwise, but at least Ms. Hanson was professional in solving the issue to my liking (albeit an issue that absolutely should not have sprung up in the first place). I just feel sorry for those who got caught after turning down other acceptances :(

That's pretty much what I told them directly in order to get my money back. But, for what it's worth, they did guarantee me (and the others) a spot for next year. :rolleyes:
As far as happening often, Ms. Hanson said something along the lines of 'This oversight has never happened before and we apologize...'. From reading here I would think otherwise, but at least Ms. Hanson was professional in solving the issue to my liking (albeit an issue that absolutely should not have sprung up in the first place). I just feel sorry for those who got caught after turning down other acceptances :(

Wow I'm sorry to hear that. Yeah I'd say that people's lives really are hanging in the balance, and a schools should be ABSOLUTELY sure that there is a spot before telling someone it's theirs. Geez. I'm sure you could make great use of an unexpected year, though. Earn some money, travel, and take time for yourself. :thumbup:

Hi GLENMARK-- I was wondering the same thing, since the list of required textbooks is huge. Could you possibly post the info you got through private messages?
Messages contain personal opinions, please check with sgtringerbell.
Not able to post it.