Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish you the best... I'm thinking about not sending my secondary until i get my MCAT score back
Make sure to do it in 30 days! In another thread I posted, a current MS1 at a different school said she and a few people she knew didn't get interview invites after sending it in over a month later. Who knows if that was a contributing factor, but you don't want to be left wondering. 🙂
 
Yay! 😀
They are holding my file for me until my new credits are in. So as of now, it's like my primary hasn't even been submitted with them as far as status, but that's okay, because I didn't get kicked out of the running like I was afraid of. That was really nice of them
 
Yay! 😀
They are holding my file for me until my new credits are in. So as of now, it's like my primary hasn't even been submitted with them as far as status, but that's okay, because I didn't get kicked out of the running like I was afraid of. That was really nice of them

👍

Also, I sent my application materials a little over two weeks ago, but they haven't even cashed my check. I seem to remember others being in the same situation.

What gives? I imagine they just have a heaping pile of applications to go through. (In my head I see the admissions folks sorting through the apps with shovels).
 
FYI: Seems like those who are complete should hear from Western soon. I emailed the admissions counselor last Friday to check the status of my file and just got an email saying my file was complete and should be hearing from the Director of Admissions within the next few days.
 
I got an interview today through e-mail pre-secondary. I thought that was strange. Do I still have to do the secondary now? Cause I dont want to write any more essays.
Also, has anyone seen the campus? It looks like a devry kinda school that doesn't seem very professional. I dont know if I really want to go there
 
I got an interview today through e-mail pre-secondary. I thought that was strange. Do I still have to do the secondary now?

I also got a priority interview email. Thought it was a little weird considering that I just mailed my secondary application yesterday and haven't even submitted my LORs yet. Hopefully it isn't a SNAFU on Western's part b/c I'm way too excited to get an email saying "sorry for the mistake". Good luck to everyone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Western does give pre-secondary interviews. I think you still have to do the secondary though, but I'm not positive. Congratulations!
 
Yep, just got the secondary on Saturday (and have yet to complete it) but received an offer for a 'priority interview' today. w00t w00t!

Did anyone get a confirmation on their date yet? They said in the email they were 'scheduling for September 17th' right now, and asked you to confirm that date... seems like a strange way of confirming people. Or at least an odd way to phrase it.
 
Western does give pre-secondary interviews. I think you still have to do the secondary though, but I'm not positive. Congratulations!


Yes you do have to complete the secondary even if they already offered you an interview.
 
Last edited:
Did anyone get a confirmation on their date yet? They said in the email they were 'scheduling for September 17th' right now, and asked you to confirm that date... seems like a strange way of confirming people. Or at least an odd way to phrase it.

I replied to the email saying I could make the September 17th date. Hopefully Western/COMP will confirm the date today.

Did the interview link in your email work? I kept clicking on it and always got an error message. I finally realized that the link was misspelled.
 
Make sure to do it in 30 days! In another thread I posted, a current MS1 at a different school said she and a few people she knew didn't get interview invites after sending it in over a month later. Who knows if that was a contributing factor, but you don't want to be left wondering. 🙂

🙂
 
Last edited:
I got an interview today through e-mail pre-secondary. I thought that was strange. Do I still have to do the secondary now? Cause I dont want to write any more essays.
Also, has anyone seen the campus? It looks like a devry kinda school that doesn't seem very professional. I dont know if I really want to go there

LOL! I live near the campus and I must admit..it's kinda unattractive but hey they are doing a lot of construction (which could be bad for studying but good if you want a nice looking school)

When comparing WesternU to other med schools..it might be top on the list of most unattractive. Especially for Cali!
 
LOL! I live near the campus and I must admit..it's kinda unattractive but hey they are doing a lot of construction (which could be bad for studying but good if you want a nice looking school)

When comparing WesternU to other med schools..it might be top on the list of most unattractive. Especially for Cali!

So, here's the thing with the school. The school was originally founded in a strip mall which is why the school has such a... err... unique flavor for the outside of the buildings. The inside of the buildings looks completely different from the outsides and much more professional.

As far as the construction and the trains (there's a major railroad artery carrying freight and passenger [Metrolink] trains) are concerned, you really can't hear either from the lecture halls. The area is a 'no horn' section, so the trains don't sound their horn at the railroad crossings.

Bottom line, are there better looking campuses out there? Sure, but it really isn't that bad once you get over the initial impression.
 
So, here's the thing with the school. The school was originally founded in a strip mall which is why the school has such a... err... unique flavor for the outside of the buildings. The inside of the buildings looks completely different from the outsides and much more professional.

As far as the construction and the trains (there's a major railroad artery carrying freight and passenger [Metrolink] trains) are concerned, you really can't hear either from the lecture halls. The area is a 'no horn' section, so the trains don't sound their horn at the railroad crossings.

Bottom line, are there better looking campuses out there? Sure, but it really isn't that bad once you get over the initial impression.

Your completely right!! 🙂 The inside is awesome! but I was simply addressing the outside of the school 🙂 If "appearance" is one of the factors someone uses to choose their Med school then hey!
 
Make sure to do it in 30 days! In another thread I posted, a current MS1 at a different school said she and a few people she knew didn't get interview invites after sending it in over a month later. Who knows if that was a contributing factor, but you don't want to be left wondering. 🙂

😱

by turning in the secondary in 30 days, meaning have all the LORs and MCAT score in in 30 days? I definitely won't make it!
 
😱

by turning in the secondary in 30 days, meaning have all the LORs and MCAT score in in 30 days? I definitely won't make it!

Email the admissions counselor, give a brief explanation (brief... not SDN-brief, but reality brief), and ask for an extension. Every school I've contacted has been very cool with extensions, the deadlines are to help them spread out applications so they don't get bombed with thousands of apps in the last week. You'll be fine.
 
I got the priority-interview e-mail as well but I never got the secondary though. Aacomas was verified 8/20. Hopefully comes in soon. Want to get started.
 
I got the priority-interview e-mail as well but I never got the secondary though. Aacomas was verified 8/20. Hopefully comes in soon. Want to get started.
When did you get the email? My AACOMAS was verified on 8/20 as well. I've received secondaries from most of the schools I've applied to, but have heard nothing from Western. It really sucks, because Western's my first choice, and the instant I get a secondary from them, I'll work on it with full force and push everything else aside. I hope to get that email soon! :xf:
 
Congrads to those of you who received interview invitations prior to submitting secondaries. Just curious, do you have stats significantly higher than their average students and is Western one of your top choices?
 
Congrads to those of you who received interview invitations prior to submitting secondaries. Just curious, do you have stats significantly higher than their average students and is Western one of your top choices?

I was offered an interview, and my stats are fairly high for DO (33, 3.55). I don't really have a 'top choice' at the moment, as I would be happy with pretty much any of the schools I am applying to, but I like Western because I can stay close to friends and family in California. Y'know, even if it is Pomona 😛
 
Congrads to those of you who received interview invitations prior to submitting secondaries. Just curious, do you have stats significantly higher than their average students and is Western one of your top choices?

I don't think my stats are significantly higher (29, 3.72 sci, 3.7 total), but I have a fair amount of medical experience in shadowing, volunteering, employment (not sure if that matters for pre-secondary interview). As of now, Western is one of my top choices. For me the main negative is the cost of tuition.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When did you get the email? My AACOMAS was verified on 8/20 as well. I've received secondaries from most of the schools I've applied to, but have heard nothing from Western. It really sucks, because Western's my first choice, and the instant I get a secondary from them, I'll work on it with full force and push everything else aside. I hope to get that email soon! :xf:

Got the e-mail 8/27. I called today to see what the problem was and western told me that sometimes e-mail providers block their e-mail so they sent it again and i got the secondary no problem. Any, Good Luck.

My stats are not that high. I have 3.7 gpa and 10, 9, 9 mcat score. But i do have 2.5 years worth of research.
 
Last edited:
Congrads to those of you who received interview invitations prior to submitting secondaries. Just curious, do you have stats significantly higher than their average students and is Western one of your top choices?

I got a priority interview email, but my secondary was already complete. I have a 3.6/34. I originally applied to COMP because staying in California started off as being superiorly important to me... I think the location helps make Western a good fit-- while I also agree with the osteopathic's holistic philosophy on care and especially its goals to serve the healthcare needs of diverse, disadvantaged communities.
 
are they processing instate applicants first? because the people that have been invited all seem to be in-state, I'm OOS and its been a while and I'm still not complete...
 
seems to me that they are inviting people with mcats or gpa's that are at least one s.d. above their averages, after all they are trying to bring up the school's stats and their reputation
 
I was just trying to say that Western is trying to get the best students possible just like all of the other medical schools. Western is one of the most competitive DO schools in terms of admissions and they are trying to recruit the best students first. I did not mean for my comment to be considered as a putdown. I am not sure where you got your stats about their class of 2012 but their web page states the average MCAT was was 27 for those entering in 2008 and the average science gpa was 3.50. It makes sense for them to give priority interviews to candidates with 30 plus MCATS and 3.7 plus GPAs. I am just trying to be a realist but I don't think those with average stats like myself should worry yet.
 
The former poster stated .."seems to me that they are inviting people with mcats or gpa's that are at least one s.d. above their averages, after all they are trying to bring up the school's stats and their reputation"

The prior poster is misinformed or misrepresents regarding the statistics of the class of 2012 at Western U. COMP. The statistics for the class of 2012 were equal to or above every other osteopathic school in the United States. The average MCAT scores were 29 and the GPA's were over 3.5 overall. Several Western U. COMP students in the class of 2012 elected to reject admission at MD programs in favor of enrollment at Western. In the ongoing quest for the pursuit of excellence, one hopes Western U COMP will continue to seek the highest quality students; but Western U sets the standard and realistically can only top its own standards and statistics. 👍 🙂:claps:

Pre-medical, huh? 😉
 
Still waiting on the secondary ... 🙁

I might call sometime this week to make sure they've received my application and that I'm at least on my way to being considered.
 
Don't mind sharing at all:
cGPA - 3.66
sGPA - 3.61
MCAT - 28M (10 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)

AACOMAS says my application was released to schools on 8/27. It's really only been a few days, so I guess I should just be patient. Including Western, I applied to a total of seven DO schools; I've received secondaries from five of them. Is Western slower than other schools?
 
Don't mind sharing at all:
cGPA - 3.66
sGPA - 3.61
MCAT - 28M (10 PS, 7 VR, 11 BS)

AACOMAS says my application was released to schools on 8/27. It's really only been a few days, so I guess I should just be patient. Including Western, I applied to a total of seven DO schools; I've received secondaries from five of them. Is Western slower than other schools?

Mine was also released on 8/27 and I just got my secondary this morning. Don't worry, my stats are lower than yours, so I think you'll get yours. They're probably just busy. It is one of the later secondaries i have received. I've gotten all my secondaries now except umdnj and nycom.
 
^ Congrats on the secondary! I hope you're right about me getting one soon. 🙂

I was going over the PDF that AACOMAS sends out to schools and noticed that I'm three hours deficient for my English prerequisite. I took a philosophy class my second semester to complete the year of English at my school. I spoke to an admissions counselor just now to explain the confusion. She said she'll get back to me about it. I really hope they accept that philosophy class! I don't want to go back to school just to take an English class.
 
Mine was also released on 8/27 and I just got my secondary this morning. Don't worry, my stats are lower than yours, so I think you'll get yours. They're probably just busy. It is one of the later secondaries i have received. I've gotten all my secondaries now except umdnj and nycom.



Thanks for letting us know! Mine was released 8/27 also and I haven't heard yet either. I've got a 12 10 8 mcat and 3.94/3.75 gpa so hopefully we'll all get our secondaries soon! :xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got the priority interview email!!!! 😀

They're asking me if I can attend the 9/17 interview. That's so soon! I have so much preparation to do.
 
^ Congrats on the interview! While i got the secondary, i did not get a priority email. I think it's because your stats are high enough. Good luck at your interview.
 
I noticed that you guys' interview on 9/17 is a thursday.....Anybody know what other days of the week they offer interviews? Please tell me Fridays, because I have TWO labs on Thursdays. Thursdays will not work! 😕