Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for preparing me to receive Western's secondary last. It's good to know!

If they screen heavily do they then also make severe cuts at the secondary stage or do they pretty much send a secondary to everybody?

I applied to western last year and did not get in. However, they sent me the secondary few weeks after submitting the primary (even before receiving my MCAT scores). So they rejected me once they got my money and before my scores came out. I am applying this year again after i take my MCAT 9/10.
 
I think I read somewhere that they interview mainly on Thursdays and occasionally on Saturdays. I was reading last year's thread and it seems that they interview only on Thursdays. I think ~20 students attend each interview day. It's from 8am to about 4pm. The actual interviews start after all the presentations and tours and stuff.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I read somewhere that they interview mainly on Thursdays and occasionally on Saturdays. I was reading last year's thread and it seems that they interview only on Thursdays. I think ~20 students attend each interview day. It's from 8am to about 4pm. The actual interviews start after all the presentations and tours and stuff.

Wow, that blows. I can't believe that they're all Thursdays (pretty much). I could definitely do Saturday, so I'll hope for that. But honestly, how am I supposed to miss two science labs? ...... Grr.. 😡
 
To be honest, I wouldn't want to interview on a weekend. The campus will be pretty much dead.

And congrats to the priority interview people.
 
Mine was also released on 8/27 and I just got my secondary this morning. Don't worry, my stats are lower than yours, so I think you'll get yours. They're probably just busy. It is one of the later secondaries i have received. I've gotten all my secondaries now except umdnj and nycom.

umdnj som has their secondary online. I do not think they screen before sending out secondary. So maybe call and ask them. People are pretty nice there.

Western does accept interfolio.
 
Thanks for letting us know! Mine was released 8/27 also and I haven't heard yet either. I've got a 12 10 8 mcat and 3.94/3.75 gpa so hopefully we'll all get our secondaries soon! :xf:

I'm really wondering if they read over our personal statements/aacomas primary b4 handing out secondaries 😕
 
To be honest, I wouldn't want to interview on a weekend. The campus will be pretty much dead.

And congrats to the priority interview people.

Do you know if the campus renovations and new buildings will be done for the class starting in 2010? I'm sure they'll tell me all about it at my interview but I'm pretty curious!
 
Will the new buildings affect the DO students? From what I read on that website, it seems that dental, optometric, and podiatric students will have lectures in the new building, not the DO students. It also seems that DO students might do rotations in the new patient care center.
 
I'm a student from the Northwest and I'm trying to figure out whether the Northwest Track is right for me or not. Do you think if I put that I am not interested in the Northwest Track that it will decrease my chances of being accepted?
 
I'm a student from the Northwest and I'm trying to figure out whether the Northwest Track is right for me or not. Do you think if I put that I am not interested in the Northwest Track that it will decrease my chances of being accepted?

probably not.

I was really ambivalent about it..I really don't think admissions cares all that much, its more of an optional program for accepted students. they basically take you into a meeting at the interview day and tell you about what it is, and then you get to choose whether you end up doing it or not AFTER you get accepted. If you get an interview, make sure you have all your questions ready because the dean will be in the meeting ready to answer them. It seemed really cool!
 
Will the new buildings affect the DO students? From what I read on that website, it seems that dental, optometric, and podiatric students will have lectures in the new building, not the DO students. It also seems that DO students might do rotations in the new patient care center.

It's geared towards the DO students as well, but the OD, pods, and dentists need clinical space as well whereas the DOs already have space (such as the clinical skills lab). Also the ODs and dents have a lot of equipment that can't be moved whereas the basic tools for medical students are very portable. The DO space in the patient care facility is on the second floor on the right side labled COMP. In the Health Education Building the lecture halls are going to be for multiple programs, including COMP.

The situation right now at Western is that a number of the lectures are being shared between the COMP, OD, and pod students. Unfortunately the current lecture hall isn't large enough for all of the students so about 100 students are in an overflow lecture hall (note: the education building was supposed to be done over summer), so the large lecture halls are definitely going to be used by COMP students.
 
^ I see! Thank you so much for the information. I can't wait for the interview day. I've been to the campus before, but never as someone close enough to actually matriculating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
probably not.

I was really ambivalent about it..I really don't think admissions cares all that much, its more of an optional program for accepted students. they basically take you into a meeting at the interview day and tell you about what it is, and then you get to choose whether you end up doing it or not AFTER you get accepted. If you get an interview, make sure you have all your questions ready because the dean will be in the meeting ready to answer them. It seemed really cool!



Thank you very much! That helps a lot!
 
Has anyone that's interviewing on the 17th gotten a confirmation of some kind? I haven't heard anything since telling them that I can attend on the 17th.

EDIT-- I actually did. Nevermind. 🙂
 
Last edited:
I am first year student at western.

My stats were
Sci - 3.64
Non-Sci - 3.4
MCAT - 29N

I hope you guys make it, when is the first interview dates?
 
I got offered a "priority" interview at Western without having filled out or paid for the secondary whats up with that?!

Yeah, they do that. They'll just ask you to get the secondary turned in before your interview.
 
My application was released to Western on Sep.3 , so how long does it take to receive the secondary if any after the release to the school?
 
Mind if I ask your stats?

I don't think stats alone determine whether or not someone gets a priority interview. According to AACOMAS, I have a 3.7 cGPA, 3.65 sGPA, 35 MCAT and no interview invite yet. I just submitted my secondary last week. We'll see what happens. 🙂
 
Does COMP have many clinical affiliations in the area like NSU does?

I know they have their own residencies, not sure of the rotation sites, but I'd like to know as well.


And to calimed... thanks that made me feel a little better 😛

both of your guys' stats are better than mine tho lol
 
Does COMP have many clinical affiliations in the area like NSU does?

I worked with some 3rd year Western med students on their Psych rotation at Citrus Valley Medical Center. I also know Arrowhead Regional Medical Center out in Colton is a big clinical training site for them. I'm sure there are others. Maybe someone that goes to the school will respond.
 
Last edited:
What's posted online for COMP rotation sites are:

Arrowhead, Downey Regional, Chino Valley, Garfield Medical Center, City of Hope, Marion Medical Center, Pacific Hospital of Long Beach, Citrus Valley, Rancho Los Amigos Rehabilitation Center, and Riverside County Regional Medical Center.

http://prospective.westernu.edu/osteopathic/clinical

Are any of those "traditional teaching hospitals?" I was hoping I'd have the opportunity to go somewhere where they have that set up, with attendings, residents, and students. Thanks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are any of those "traditional teaching hospitals?" I was hoping I'd have the opportunity to go somewhere where they have that set up, with attendings, residents, and students. Thanks.

From first-hand experience, Arrowhead Regional fits that bill. Pretty sure Riverside County does as well. Some of the other sites like Citrus, Rancho Los Amigos, and Garfield are pretty small/isolated facilities or offer more specialized services, so I think the way their clerkships are structured may be a bit different.
 
From first-hand experience, Arrowhead Regional fits that bill. Pretty sure Riverside County does as well. Some of the other sites like Citrus, Rancho Los Amigos, and Garfield are pretty small/isolated facilities or offer more specialized services, so I think the way their clerkships are structured may be a bit different.

Thanks man, or woman. 🙂
 
What is up with this school?? Do they even answer telephone calls or emails? And what is up with their employees? Are they all illegal aliens or something,I got a voicemail of someone and it had a thick Mexican accent. I am so turned off by this school its not even funny. The fact that its in LA is another big demerit.
 
What is up with this school?? Do they even answer telephone calls or emails? And what is up with their employees? Are they all illegal aliens or something,I got a voicemail of someone and it had a thick Mexican accent. I am so turned off by this school its not even funny. The fact that its in LA is another big demerit.

Productive post. Keep em coming.
 
What is up with this school?? Do they even answer telephone calls or emails? And what is up with their employees? Are they all illegal aliens or something,I got a voicemail of someone and it had a thick Mexican accent.

The people you're dealing with apparently bear no resemblance to anyone on campus that I've dealt with.
 
The people you're dealing with apparently bear no resemblance to anyone on campus that I've dealt with.


I have called them repeatedly to ask about my application status, they NEVER Answer. I email, no replies. I have sent applications to other schools who get just as many applications and I get prompt responses, what makes this school special??

I so much would pick Touro CA and AZCOM over this place its not even funny.
 
I have called them repeatedly to ask about my application status, they NEVER Answer. I email, no replies. I have sent applications to other schools who get just as many applications and I get prompt responses, what makes this school special??

I so much would pick Touro CA and AZCOM over this place its not even funny.

I've been leaving messages as well and having the same problems, but I'd try not to base my decision on your dealings with the admissions office. However, I understand that sometimes one bad experience can leave you with a bad taste in your mouth. I think Western offers quite a bit, though.

Call and make sure to confirm that your application is complete if you haven't heard from them yet, I think they were having some movement in their office personnel which has caused some confusion. My LORs were just recently received but were submitted months ago.
 
Last edited:
I am having these same problems too. I emailed them after receiving no secondary for 15 days. My application was released in late August. Haven't heard a word from them. No one replied my emails. My Stats: sGPA 3.87, cGPA 3.75, MCAT 29 with a 6 in verbal. Do you think low verbal is the reason I am not getting Secondary? Replies appreciated.
 
I am having these same problems too. I emailed them after receiving no secondary for 15 days. My application was released in late August. Haven't heard a word from them. No one replied my emails. My Stats: sGPA 3.87, cGPA 3.75, MCAT 29 with a 6 in verbal. Do you think low verbal is the reason I am not getting Secondary? Replies appreciated.

I have almost the exact same stats as you , except a 7 in verbal, and got a "priority interview." They had my application for about a week before I heard anything. You might want to look up who is your admissions counselor (its by last name) and give her a call. They usually call back by the end of the day.
 
I like the locations of AZCOM and Touro CA. Phoenix and the SF Bay Area are ideal locales for me, I would not mind living in either place but LA just seems like a hole.
 
You do realize that LA County is rather large? Pomona is not LA City and that there are plenty of yuppie areas around Pomona (cough Claremont cough).
 
I hope you're not basing your opinion of the entire LA region on your impressions of Pomona alone. If you haven't been to Santa Monica/Venice/Downtown/Malibu for beach/bar-hopping/clubbing or gone hiking in the area (yes we do have nice hiking trails), you're missing out. Not to mention one of the best parts of LA is that it's the perfect location for weekend trips out to San Diego/Vegas/Santa Barbara/Big Bear. I freaking love LA.
 
LA also equals Westwood and Hollywood and Beverly Hills and Malibu. LA is a huge place, it's not all gangs and crime and graffiti and homeless people.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Meh, those are outliers. For every Malibu there's two Crenshaws.

/me refuses to give up his 714 area code. 😉
 
You do realize that LA County is rather large? Pomona is not LA City and that there are plenty of yuppie areas around Pomona (cough Claremont cough).


I don't give a rat, I would not want to live in Southern California. Pomona is some kind of suburb. So much damn smog.
 
I don't give a rat, I would not want to live in Southern California. Pomona is some kind of suburb. So much damn smog.

Pick what you like in a medical school not based on biases about the surrounding area. LA is what you make of it, same with Vallejo. Don't waste so much time judging the area- pay more attention to vibe you get from the people who are IN medical school there. If they are happy, then you probably will be too. Pay attention to the program quality, the curriculum, and the rotations and the opportunities that each school will open in your life. If you are going to quibble over some smog, you might want to get your priorities straight. You're not going to med school to party in the city, you're going there to learn how to be a doctor.
 
Pomona =/= LA. At all.

For those of us from NorCal, everything between Bakersfield and San Diego = LA.

:laugh:

In any case, Pomona's still way inland, and the chances of you getting to Downtown LA/Westwood/Santa Monica/Malibu is pretty slim. Heck, I spent my undergrad in Malibu, and I almost never made it as far as downtown.

Still, Sassybird makes a good point: you're not going to have much free time to enjoy the nightlife, so don't worry too much about what the area is like. Geography should be a factor in your decision, but don't rule something out without getting a real idea for it.
 
Maybe I should add that I am from the south bay. And I thought Touro-CA was going to be perfect based on location. As much as I would love to be in NorCal, close to my family and friends, I cant even express how happy I am that I made my decision on criteria more than location. I would have missed out, without a doubt. Everyone's criteria is different, so I am not saying "go to Western", but I am saying think beyond the superficial- you might regret it if you don't.