Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010

Started by danimjo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
they mailed out the decisions today. the director wasn't around last week to sign the paperwork.

Ah. Well, that's mildly disappointing. Guess I have to wait until after I get back from Florida...
 
They mailed them today?? Mannn, I really want to know if I'm in or not! I'm in SoCal, hopefully I'll get the letter by the end of this week?? :xf::xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know if we are allowed to call the admissions office to check whether an applicant has been accepted or not? Or do we really need to wait until we receive the results via snail mail?
 
Does anyone know if we are allowed to call the admissions office to check whether an applicant has been accepted or not? Or do we really need to wait until we receive the results via snail mail?
 
I would assume it's better to wait. What is this about checking things online? I thought they only mailed out letters.
 
I would assume it's better to wait. What is this about checking things online? I thought they only mailed out letters.

Yeah, snail mail only. Made a typo but fixed it.

I just had my interview today. Loved the schoooool. I hope I get in. Thanks for your help BTW.
 
For those of you who interviewed on the 17th, and are waiting for the decision letter (including myself), I contacted the admission counselor/coordinator today, and she said they actually just got all of the letters out TODAY, 10/01/2009. So, good luck everyone!!:luck: Hope you all receive something good in mail by this Sunday!

Hope this time is true......
 
If I have had my materials in for ~1 month and no interview, does that mean I'm done for? 🙁 This is one of my top top choices
 
Just got an acceptance letter!! :d:d:d


Awesome. Congratulations! I went to the same interview day. Still waiting to hear back from them. From NJ. Hopefully comes in soon.

Still it must be great to know that you are going to med school.
 
Accepted as well! :banana: So great to not only have an acceptance, but one to a school that I would be really really happy at. Now I know that a) I'm going to med school next year and b) I'm going to be at a school that is at least as awesome as Western.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question for the So Cal locals: I heard the school is in a rough area. Is that true? Haven't been to the campus yet so could use some input.
 
Downtown Pomona isn't the best of areas, but isn't the worst of areas. To be honest, I'd say that the area immediately on the opposite side of the tracks (the school is right next to a major passenger and freight line, but you can't hear them inside when going by) is much worse, however I'd say it's a bit of a culture shock for some of the more sheltered students (this is So. Cal. after all). There is a strong security presence on campus though. As well, I would not rent sight unseen in Pomona.
 
Question for the So Cal locals: I heard the school is in a rough area. Is that true? Haven't been to the campus yet so could use some input.

Its not that rough, just not as nice as the other cities around it. You can drive less than 15 minutes and be in some really nice areas. I personally wouldn't want to live right in Pomona.. just because I feel that its rather dingy..but like I said, places like Chino, Claremont, and Upland are really close.
 
Question for the So Cal locals: I heard the school is in a rough area. Is that true? Haven't been to the campus yet so could use some input.

Ditto what everyone else has said. The students we talked to said most of them lived in Claremont or other nice areas.
 
Interview invite for 10/15, but now I feel like I'm behind the ball on this whole process, jeez...

Oh, anybody know what to make of getting a "priority interview" with a week's notice?? "Be here next Tuesday at 8:00am. *Click*"
 
Interview invite for 10/15, but now I feel like I'm behind the ball on this whole process, jeez...

Oh, anybody know what to make of getting a "priority interview" with a week's notice?? "Be here next Tuesday at 8:00am. *Click*"

Yeah, I got the same email. Not sure how "priority" it really is. I wouldn't make a big deal about it.
 
Interview invite for 10/15, but now I feel like I'm behind the ball on this whole process, jeez...

Oh, anybody know what to make of getting a "priority interview" with a week's notice?? "Be here next Tuesday at 8:00am. *Click*"
they told us during the interview that priority just meant they invite you for an interview without necessarily having your application complete.
 
have OOS people been interviewed already? I heard in state applicants get first dips on interview, is this true?
 
isnt western the school that only gives secondaries to people that they interview? I've been complete since 2nd of september yet i still havent heard anything... is this normal?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I believe NYCOM is the only DO school where secondary=interview. Does anyone know about what percentage of secondary recipients receive interviews?
 
I'd be interested in seeing the 2009 match list. Is it public yet? Anyone know where I can get my hands on it?
 
ACCEPTED for class of 2014:soexcited:

So relieved to know that I will be going to medical school next year.
 
isnt western the school that only gives secondaries to people that they interview? I've been complete since 2nd of september yet i still havent heard anything... is this normal?

Should be ok, last year took them 5 weeks to reply. But you could always try calling in or e-mail to ask.

Btw congrad to those who are accepted, i guess we'll be classmate next year :laugh:
 
Interview invite for 10/15, but now I feel like I'm behind the ball on this whole process, jeez...

Oh, anybody know what to make of getting a "priority interview" with a week's notice?? "Be here next Tuesday at 8:00am. *Click*"

Yeah I just got my interview invite... I'm super excited but I live 2,000 miles away and cannot just get up and go... does anyone know what they do once you tell them you cannot make it for the first date they offer?
 
Yeah I just got my interview invite... I'm super excited but I live 2,000 miles away and cannot just get up and go... does anyone know what they do once you tell them you cannot make it for the first date they offer?

Just call them. They're nice people, and they understand that travel can be difficult on short notice. I'm sure they'll be flexible.
 
Question.

My interview was last week and the committee meets today to make a decision. I hear that if I fax admissions an acceptance letter from another med school, I may be able to hear of my decision sooner. I have an acceptance but it's to Ross, a caribbean school, which I got accepted to back in June. Does that count? Should I just wait? Are they gonna laugh at me? I want to know asap because I have like 6 more interviews lined up. Western is my first choice and if I get in, I would cancel all the other interviews.... save money.

Advices? Suggestions?
 
Question.

My interview was last week and the committee meets today to make a decision. I hear that if I fax admissions an acceptance letter from another med school, I may be able to hear of my decision sooner. I have an acceptance but it's to Ross, a caribbean school, which I got accepted to back in June. Does that count? Should I just wait? Are they gonna laugh at me? I want to know asap because I have like 6 more interviews lined up. Western is my first choice and if I get in, I would cancel all the other interviews.... save money.

Advices? Suggestions?

I'd call and try to speak with a counselor before you faxed a letter from Ross.
 
Question.

My interview was last week and the committee meets today to make a decision. I hear that if I fax admissions an acceptance letter from another med school, I may be able to hear of my decision sooner. I have an acceptance but it's to Ross, a caribbean school, which I got accepted to back in June. Does that count? Should I just wait? Are they gonna laugh at me? I want to know asap because I have like 6 more interviews lined up. Western is my first choice and if I get in, I would cancel all the other interviews.... save money.

Advices? Suggestions?

Good luck to all! I also interviewed with the group of 30+ whose Western fates are being decided today. I imagine their decision letters would go out this week or early next. I don't think faxing them anything would change much at this point, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask I guess. I agree it's probably best to call before you fax.
 
If I have had my materials in for ~1 month and no interview, does that mean I'm done for? 🙁 This is one of my top top choices

I mailed in my secondary on August 15 and just got an interview invite yesterday, so you are definitely not done for. Good Luck!
 
So I suppose that if I just found out my file is complete this week, I won't be finding out for a long time if I get an interview or not huh? It seems like everyone had to wait awhile
 
So I suppose that if I just found out my file is complete this week, I won't be finding out for a long time if I get an interview or not huh? It seems like everyone had to wait awhile

I'm in the same boat, we will just have to see
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Question.

My interview was last week and the committee meets today to make a decision. I hear that if I fax admissions an acceptance letter from another med school, I may be able to hear of my decision sooner. I have an acceptance but it's to Ross, a caribbean school, which I got accepted to back in June. Does that count? Should I just wait? Are they gonna laugh at me? I want to know asap because I have like 6 more interviews lined up. Western is my first choice and if I get in, I would cancel all the other interviews.... save money.

Advices? Suggestions?

The idea there is that they want to let you know your status more quickly so you don't have to make decisions/put down deposits without knowing whether you have an acceptance at Western. Seeing as your acceptance from Ross is from the previous cycle, it's pretty clear you've declined that already. I don't think they'll accept that as a reason to let you know earlier.

My advice: unless you hit the same kinks they hit with the first batch, you should know by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Just wait. It'll be worth it🙂
 
The idea there is that they want to let you know your status more quickly so you don't have to make decisions/put down deposits without knowing whether you have an acceptance at Western. Seeing as your acceptance from Ross is from the previous cycle, it's pretty clear you've declined that already. I don't think they'll accept that as a reason to let you know earlier.
Basically, this. I got an 'early notification' last spring when I interviewed
because it was going to be the difference between buying plane tickets to interview at Touro-Ca or canceling that interview. The admissions councilor had to go clear it with the admissions director before allowing it (quick, hey I've got this situation? Ok... type clearance).
 
Basically, this. I got an 'early notification' last spring when I interviewed
because it was going to be the difference between buying plane tickets to interview at Touro-Ca or canceling that interview. The admissions councilor had to go clear it with the admissions director before allowing it (quick, hey I've got this situation? Ok... type clearance).

Question:
Did you call the admissions or email them?

thanks thanks
 
The idea there is that they want to let you know your status more quickly so you don't have to make decisions/put down deposits without knowing whether you have an acceptance at Western. Seeing as your acceptance from Ross is from the previous cycle, it's pretty clear you've declined that already. I don't think they'll accept that as a reason to let you know earlier.

My advice: unless you hit the same kinks they hit with the first batch, you should know by Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Just wait. It'll be worth it🙂



When I applied to ross, I applied for the 2010 cycle so I haven't denied the admission yet.... I just applied really early.

I wouldn't mind waiting but I have interviews at TouroCA, DMU, AZCOM, SOMA, and KCOM all within the next two and a half weeks. It would be nice to find out my status at Western before so I can just go ahead and cancel all those interviews.
 
Anyone else get this? 🙁 🙁 🙁

Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected to interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by e-mail if you are selected for an interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email to your admissions counselor.

If you have any questions regarding your application status, you may contact your admissions counselor by phone or email.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University, College of Osteopathic medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your future educational endeavors.