Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by Siggy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, thank you to those who shared about the new curriculum for the second year at Western. From what I gather, the first year has not been changed, it's still anatomy first and then lecture-based systems courses (please correct me if I'm wrong)?

I was wondering if there are any current 2nd-years out there who can comment on the 2nd-year schedule. Specifically, are the Essentials of Clinical Medicine and Osteopathic Principles and Practice classes for the 2nd-years on the same days as the two required large-group sessions? Also, are there any other classes with mandatory attendance? Basically, what I want to know is how many days a week you are required to be on campus as a 1st-year and a 2nd-year (not that I want to avoid being on-campus, but because of personal circumstances it's more convenient for me to stay at home to study on my own). Thanks for your help!

I am a second year, and although DbDan has some true things, You do not have all monday afternoon and all tuesday to do the cases. You have whatever time you don't have class. This could me all monday afternoon and all tuesday but sometimes we have class. There are mandatory quizzes before each large group. They will change this to during the large group to have you stay the whole time. This is their goal, they had some technical issues so for now its at the begin of the of class but that could change. SO don't bank on just showing up for the quiz. Also the large groups are random days, so plan on being on campus everyday.
 
i don't understand how there were literally hundreds of people on interview day and yet so few are posting here. Then again I did meet a girl who had never been on SDN. I told her that she was missing out on the equivalent of the facebook of the medical world....

Even still, there must be 3-4 lurkers for every one posting here....
 
I received a call from Western yesterday for an interview! This is my first D.O. interview and I am so excited! She also offered me an interview spot for this Saturday, but I am OOS and wanted more time to prepare.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well, ECM and OPP is on Wed. and Thurs. currently for the second years (the class is actually split in two with half doing OPP on Wed, and half doing it on Thurs, with the other day being ECM), so large group definitely won't be on both days, but it can be on some days. There is no set day for large group and it moves around depending on the schedule. The only other "required" (technically attendance is required at all courses, it's enforcement that varies) course so far is Physician and Society, which has quizes on random days, but the quizes are done through Blackboard, so you can do them at home. You just either need someone to call you from class or check frantically at 9am (although they have delayed some due to traffic conditions, so get in contact with someone who attends anyways).

In terms of the Large Group, the quiz is currently at the start, which leads to a mass exodus following the quiz (about 100 or so students currently). This is something that was actually discussed at the Dean's Townhall meeting today. The staff is divided about this. On one hand, it looks terrible when there are guest lectures (which they've done a bad job of telling us when guest lecturers are present. On the other hand, they're committed to allowing us learn the best way we learn. Additionally, it's distracting to the people who want to attend when 1/3+ of the class is basically just passing time instead of paying attention. So they aren't sure if they're going to change the current system or not. It's a work in progress, but they're taking and using feedback well.
 
heyy I have an interview this saturday, It's my fourth DO lol... I've heard COMP is not as relaxed as some of the interviews I've had :/ any "weird" questions?
 
heyy I have an interview this saturday, It's my fourth DO lol... I've heard COMP is not as relaxed as some of the interviews I've had :/ any "weird" questions?

I didn't feel like they tried to trick or stress you during the interview. They just genuinely wanted to understand my application's backstory. Just answer the questions honestly knowing that you won't remember everything perfectly. I think the key is to just say SOMETHING and be confident, articulate, and likable while saying it. Obviously if you're invited to interview, they like what they've seen. showing them that you're a cool guy will likely seal the deal. With an acceptance in the bag, hopefully this is easy for you.

Good luck - this is an awesome school.
 
So if we interviewed 10/30, and we have yet to hear from admissions, should we just sit tight?

Or should I call in and ask about my application?
 
So if we interviewed 10/30, and we have yet to hear from admissions, should we just sit tight?

Or should I call in and ask about my application?


I don't think anyone in our group has gotten word from WesternU yet. HOPEFULLY we'll hear something before Thanksgiving break, I'm getting so antsy just waiting...
 
I don't think anyone in our group has gotten word from WesternU yet. HOPEFULLY we'll hear something before Thanksgiving break, I'm getting so antsy just waiting...

I know one person who got their decision over the phone. Someone was saying they would be mailing out letters on Wednesday, but I haven't received anything and I live 20 minutes from Western...
 
I don't think anyone in our group has gotten word from WesternU yet. HOPEFULLY we'll hear something before Thanksgiving break, I'm getting so antsy just waiting...

I thought I'd post for the first time to give the good news. I interviewed on Oct. 30th, called the admissions office today and was informed that they had my results as of yesterday. I'm accepted! I have interviews scheduled at other schools scheduled for this Monday and the following Monday and they let me know over the phone so that I could cancel those (and save the hotel/plane ticket money). I was told that the results for applicants who interviewed in a lower number interview/tour group (below #17 or 15) would be mailed out today and the rest very soon. I was a higher number group than that. This means that we should begin to receive letters next week unless Thanksgiving delays the mail. If you don't have any pressing need to know right now (to cancel an interview for this Monday for example), I would not call the admissions office until after next week because you will more than likely receive a letter by then. I hope this helps everyone else who also interviewed on Oct. 30th and good luck to everyone.
 
I thought I'd post for the first time to give the good news. I interviewed on Oct. 30th, called the admissions office today and was informed that they had my results as of yesterday. I'm accepted! I have interviews scheduled at other schools scheduled for this Monday and the following Monday and they let me know over the phone so that I could cancel those (and save the hotel/plane ticket money). I was told that the results for applicants who interviewed in a lower number interview/tour group (below #17 or 15) would be mailed out today and the rest very soon. I was a higher number group than that. This means that we should begin to receive letters next week unless Thanksgiving delays the mail. If you don't have any pressing need to know right now (to cancel an interview for this Monday for example), I would not call the admissions office until after next week because you will more than likely receive a letter by then. I hope this helps everyone else who also interviewed on Oct. 30th and good luck to everyone.

Congrats!
 
Accepted!!!

I was in Team 16, 10/30, for those wondering. Decisions will only be released by phone if you have upcoming interviews, so remember to send your interview letters to WesternU by e-mail before you call and ask.

CA medical school, here I come.
 
I thought I'd post for the first time to give the good news. I interviewed on Oct. 30th, called the admissions office today and was informed that they had my results as of yesterday. I'm accepted! I have interviews scheduled at other schools scheduled for this Monday and the following Monday and they let me know over the phone so that I could cancel those (and save the hotel/plane ticket money). I was told that the results for applicants who interviewed in a lower number interview/tour group (below #17 or 15) would be mailed out today and the rest very soon. I was a higher number group than that. This means that we should begin to receive letters next week unless Thanksgiving delays the mail. If you don't have any pressing need to know right now (to cancel an interview for this Monday for example), I would not call the admissions office until after next week because you will more than likely receive a letter by then. I hope this helps everyone else who also interviewed on Oct. 30th and good luck to everyone.

Accepted!!!

I was in Team 16, 10/30, for those wondering. Decisions will only be released by phone if you have upcoming interviews, so remember to send your interview letters to WesternU by e-mail before you call and ask.

CA medical school, here I come.


congrats to you both!!! I'm so incredibly jealous right now. I have an upcoming interview, but it's not soon enough to warrant calling the admissions office (KCUMB on 12/10).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congrats to you both!!! I'm so incredibly jealous right now. I have an upcoming interview, but it's not soon enough to warrant calling the admissions office (KCUMB on 12/10).

I had an upcoming interview at CCOM on 12/7. Your 12/10 date should be good enough to get a response from WesternU.
 
Accepted!!!

I was in Team 16, 10/30, for those wondering. Decisions will only be released by phone if you have upcoming interviews, so remember to send your interview letters to WesternU by e-mail before you call and ask.

CA medical school, here I come.

I'm kind of confused because I interviewed 10/30, have upcoming interviews AND a deposit that needs to be in by today, and they have told me twice over the phone today that decisions were not yet finalized from the Dean and they can't give any of them out. I'm ticked.

Do you think they can only give out the acceptances and the waitlist/denials have to be approved? they told me i would know by today and then they shoot me down...
 
I'm kind of confused because I interviewed 10/30, have upcoming interviews AND a deposit that needs to be in by today, and they have told me twice over the phone today that decisions were not yet finalized from the Dean and they can't give any of them out. I'm ticked.

Do you think they can only give out the acceptances and the waitlist/denials have to be approved? they told me i would know by today and then they shoot me down...

From what I gather, they only got to some of the people who interviewed on 10/30. So your file, just by luck, must not have been looked at yet. Best of luck!
 
Hey, this is my first time posting and I'm pretty late in the application cycle, but anyone know how long its taking Western to process apps? (like time from primary to secondary, secondary to interview invite or rejection?) Any info from people who are also late in the cycle is much appreciated!
Thanks!
 
Hey, this is my first time posting and I'm pretty late in the application cycle, but anyone know how long its taking Western to process apps? (like time from primary to secondary, secondary to interview invite or rejection?) Any info from people who are also late in the cycle is much appreciated!
Thanks!

I'm in COMP 2014 and had my 2ndary complete some time in December. Obviously, things change from year to year but depending on your application, interview, and luck, there's still a chance. I interviewed on the final interview date of the year and was not the only one to get in.

Just don't dally around now. Get your apps out and never stop trying to improve your prospects.
 
Hey, this is my first time posting and I'm pretty late in the application cycle, but anyone know how long its taking Western to process apps? (like time from primary to secondary, secondary to interview invite or rejection?) Any info from people who are also late in the cycle is much appreciated!
Thanks!

i think it really just depends. i know some people that had a very fast turnaround. in my app year, i was complete at western in late august but i didnt hear from them until late november for a december interview date. like much of the rest of the app process, its luck of the draw. good luck.
 
i think it really just depends. i know some people that had a very fast turnaround. in my app year, i was complete at western in late august but i didnt hear from them until late november for a december interview date. like much of the rest of the app process, its luck of the draw. good luck.

Agreed. My app was complete first week of Sept and I still haven't heard from them! and I like to think my stats are pretty decent.
 
I had an upcoming interview at CCOM on 12/7. Your 12/10 date should be good enough to get a response from WesternU.

I took your advice and called... ACCEPTED!!!! 😍 yayyy, my top choice. I'm a bit sad to be withdrawing my acceptance from KCOM- I truly enjoyed interviewing there.

I asked my admissions counselor and she said there might be a delay in receiving the letter bc it's a short week (due to the upcoming holiday).


Good luck all! :luck:
 
I remember them saying the deposit was due dec. 1st. on the 10/30 interview. Is that still the date they want your deposit by?

Accepted! Got my letter today!

deposit is due on January 1st as stated by my letter even though they said December 1st during the interview day. Good luck to everyone else whom are interviewing
 
I just had my interview this Saturday. Walked out of the room feeling I did well...but I've been thinking about it CONSTANTLY and now I think I didn't do well at all... I think the nerves really prevented me from articulating myself well. And it really sucks because I do consider myself articulate.

This wait is killing me...and more so because I just got waitlisted UMDNJ. Anyone know when we should hear back by? I know the adcom meets every week but considering it's Thanksgiving and an interview I have at DMU on the 17th that I would like to cancel if Western accepts me, when should I call to ask?
 
I just had my interview this Saturday. Walked out of the room feeling I did well...but I've been thinking about it CONSTANTLY and now I think I didn't do well at all... I think the nerves really prevented me from articulating myself well. And it really sucks because I do consider myself articulate.

This wait is killing me...and more so because I just got waitlisted UMDNJ. Anyone know when we should hear back by? I know the adcom meets every week but considering it's Thanksgiving and an interview I have at DMU on the 17th that I would like to cancel if Western accepts me, when should I call to ask?


I hope you kicked butt because Western is really an awesome school. Every physician I've spoken to, DO or MD, has had nothing but positive things to say about the school.

Keep in mind, it's impossible to perfectly articulate yourself in an interview because by definition, if you had more time to prepare answers, you could always phrase things better. What matters more (up to a point) in an interview is not what you say but how you say it. Do you seem professional? Are you easy to talk to? Since you walked out of the interview thinking you did well, it's likely that you came across well in the interview. I'd put more weight on that and less on your current state of mind, because as you eluded to, you're likely nervous due to the NJ waitlist.
 
I just had my interview this Saturday. Walked out of the room feeling I did well...but I've been thinking about it CONSTANTLY and now I think I didn't do well at all... I think the nerves really prevented me from articulating myself well. And it really sucks because I do consider myself articulate.

I thought I bombed parts of my Western interview, but I made it through. I think you have more leeway in your interview performance if you have strong secondary essays and solid stats. It's a good thing if you felt good about your interview when you came out. Just gotta wait those couple of weeks.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just called the admission office today and they said my letter was mailed out yesterday and I should get it this week. :]
 
I just called the admission office today and they said my letter was mailed out yesterday and I should get it this week. :]


They told you that your letter was sent out?? Did you tell them that you have an upcoming interview?? I called them so many time for the past 2 weeks, and they told me to wait 'til next week every single time!! >_< I even asked them about my status but they wouldn't tell me unless I email them upcoming interview invites, which I don't have!! AAAAAAAA....what's taking them so long??? The wait is slowly killing me! T_T
 
I called them today too and they will not release your decision (I interviewed 10/30) unless you have an upcoming interview (which you need to fax/forward to them). Oh well. She said I should get a decision by mail either this week or next. Until then...
 
Interview Dec 11th! I have lost hope on Western haha. Any ideas how full the class is as of now? Im super excited to have a second interview🙂 I have heard nothing but good things about Western!
 
Thank you SFO-IST and jinobi for your comforting and encouraging words. You two are wonderful.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING to everyone on this thread!
 
They told you that your letter was sent out?? Did you tell them that you have an upcoming interview?? I called them so many time for the past 2 weeks, and they told me to wait 'til next week every single time!! >_< I even asked them about my status but they wouldn't tell me unless I email them upcoming interview invites, which I don't have!! AAAAAAAA....what's taking them so long??? The wait is slowly killing me! T_T

lol..they only told me my letter was mailed out but they didn't tell me the admission decision..and yea, just got the rejection letter today..Surprisingly I'm not as sad as I thought I would be..whatever, I got a better interview next week anyway :]

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting on that letter..

And have a good thanksgiving day, u all!
 
Last edited:
i'm getting a (nervous) tingling sensation in my chest because i have to leave for this interview in 2 weeks! and i feel no matter what i do i won't be fully prepared. and it's my only interview :scared: * so far*
some questions i had,

1. i wanted to confirm: is this open file and one-on-one?

2. the email said to be there for 8am but i've read that presentations started at 8:45am...did anyone get there in between that time frame ie 8:30ish?

3. warning: embarrassing question ahead.............what's the interview attire😛? i read the sdn article on this topic but it sounded regimented (you can wear this colour but not that)

4. what resources did you find useful to prepare -apart from the primary and secondary apps, the Affordable Care ACt?

thanks :luck:
 
Last edited:
i'm getting a (nervous) tingling sensation in my chest because i have to leave for this interview in 2 weeks! and i feel no matter what i do i won't be fully prepared. and it's my only interview :scared:
some questions i had,

1. i wanted to confirm: is this open file and one-on-one?

2. the email said to be there for 8am but i've read that presentations started at 8:45am...did anyone get there in between that time frame ie 8:30ish?

3. warning: embarrassing question ahead.............what's the interview attire😛? i read the sdn article on this topic but it sounded regimented (you can wear this colour but not that)

4. what resources did you find useful to prepare -apart from the primary and secondary apps, the Affordable Care ACt?

thanks :luck:

1. yes

2. well, I got there early..like around 7:55am? And there were at least 30 ppl in there already..if you get there early, you can get some breakfast, talk to other interviewees, and calm yourself down? lol..

3. 80% people wear black suits for their interviews..not sure if the color really matters..haha

4. most of the questions that they asked me were from my files..something like "tell me about your hometown", "tell me about XYZ activity"..umm, there were a few surprises but you would do just fine..🙂

good luck!
 
i'm getting a (nervous) tingling sensation in my chest because i have to leave for this interview in 2 weeks! and i feel no matter what i do i won't be fully prepared. and it's my only interview :scared:
some questions i had,

1. i wanted to confirm: is this open file and one-on-one?

2. the email said to be there for 8am but i've read that presentations started at 8:45am...did anyone get there in between that time frame ie 8:30ish?

3. warning: embarrassing question ahead.............what's the interview attire😛? i read the sdn article on this topic but it sounded regimented (you can wear this colour but not that)

4. what resources did you find useful to prepare -apart from the primary and secondary apps, the Affordable Care ACt?

thanks :luck:

3. Black or dark blue works well.

4. Know yourself and your primary/secondary app very well. They'll ask you to draw from your experiences, so be articulate with those parts.
 
11/4 interview peeps! i called the admissions office and Robin said they have reviewed some files already but are going to finish reviewing on Thursday. Hopefully we'll be getting decisions in the mail early next week :xf:
 
"Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected for an interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by telephone if you are selected for a future interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email the information to your admissions counselor.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your futureeducational endeavors."

I just got this email. Is this pretty much a rejection? Has anyone seen anything similar to this on SDN before? 🙁
 
"Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected for an interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by telephone if you are selected for a future interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email the information to your admissions counselor.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your futureeducational endeavors."

I just got this email. Is this pretty much a rejection? Has anyone seen anything similar to this on SDN before? 🙁

i think it's a hold on your file, not a complete rejection; they say that your app. will continue to be reviewed.

don't lose hope yet :xf:
 
i think it's a hold on your file, not a complete rejection; they say that your app. will continue to be reviewed.

don't lose hope yet :xf:

Thanks, but they also said "Good luck in your futureeducational endeavors." Very depressing...
 

I hate to ask this again, but several people said you get interviewed by 2-4 people. Are you saying yes to the open file only?

How many people interviewed you guys?

I hate asking this but there is several answers on this forum. Thanks🙂
 
"Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected for an interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by telephone if you are selected for a future interview. Your status remains the same until contacted for interview or notified that interviews are closed. If you would like to add additional information to your application for review, please send/email the information to your admissions counselor.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee at Western University of Health Sciences College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, thank you for your interest in our program. Good luck in your futureeducational endeavors."

I just got this email. Is this pretty much a rejection? Has anyone seen anything similar to this on SDN before? 🙁



Hmmmm where were you complete?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know when I got to my interview last week, the admissions office said that each student would have two interviewers. Personally, I only had one. It lasted a half hour and wasn't too bad.
 
just withdrew my interview for dec 11th. I decided I'll be taking my talents to south beach next year! (well, near it)
 
I know when I got to my interview last week, the admissions office said that each student would have two interviewers. Personally, I only had one. It lasted a half hour and wasn't too bad.

Thanks for the response! If its one on one, no matter how hard the person is I feel like I will do a much better job than if its multiple people.

How many people were at your interview jl13?
 
anyone here interviewing in jan? if so, i was interested in finding out the date for the sake of awareness
my first ever 'tweet': had a row just now and not so sure if dad's going to help with the flight..(and just before i was booking my flight too. man)